I will not vote for evil

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (62 posts)
  1. Petra Vlah profile image60
    Petra Vlahposted 13 years ago

California does not give me a half way decent choice for Governor of Senator so, after thinking it over and over, after researching all the candidate, I decided that IN GOOD CONSCIENCE I can’t vote for any of them

Choosing again and again between Bad and Worse got all of us into the mess we are in. I have enough of it and I will no longer prostitute myself

1. tony0724 profile image60
      tony0724posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Petra it is really sad that in a state with 40 million people that this is the best we could do.

1. Druid Dude profile image60
        Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Go with fall colors...Brown. Oregon likes re-runs of old dramas too...GO Kitzhaber! Anyone care to jump off a bridge?

Druid Dude thank you for making me laugh ! smile

I didn't do it. We're in Bizarro World. Samantha, the wriggly nosed witch is running... I mean Christine. Then there's Rand "Where'd you get that HAIR" Paul, over whom I had a nightmare that Aquaman was really god. Link that all up with Barack "We're on the road to recovery" Obama. The Road To Recovery...when did they decide to remake Bob Hope/ Bing Crosby movies? Maybe Recovery is someplace in Utah....hmmmm. Could be the destination for a bunch of druggies. Bizarro World.

Don't forget that Harry Reid saved the world ! Ask him he will tell ya.

2. habee profile image92
              habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Recovery is a small town in GA - just past Anticipation and Climax. I kid you not!

2. lady_love158 profile image59
      lady_love158posted 13 years agoin reply to this

A woman of principles! That's great, and even better for republicians! smile

3. Sab Oh profile image55
      Sab Ohposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Are you saying you consider both candidates "EVIL"?

Remember, if you don't choose someone else chooses for you and you've got nothing to say about it.

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Actually, you would be right in one aspect of what you said- someone else will ultimately choose an elected official.

However, as a citizen- it is my DUTY to uphold my elected officials to the same standard that I hold myself to. And, if I choose, I have the right to NOT vote, if I cannot support a candidate.

That inalienable right- doesn't diminish my weight as a citizen of America or my right to voice my thoughts on topics. So that makes the second part of your statement meaningless.

I have more to say on the topic, because I have the right to do so. You have TWO choices with voting- either you do or you don't.

BOTH are a right of citizenship. The DUTY of a citizen is to the greater good of the country. Putting 'evil', regardless of the lessor of the two, into office- isn't productive.

1. Sab Oh profile image55

If someone foolishly squanders their right (and responsibility) to democratic participation as a responsible citizen then they have silenced themselves and have nothing to say because they threw away the most fundamental means in a democratic system to say it.

In other words, if someone throws away a hard-earned right, then they are letting others choose for them and have nothing to say about the government they get. It's not only a shame, it's an affront.

And, as usual, you miss the point about right NOT to vote? Or, does that not register with you.

If I cannot support a candidate, then I'm not voting. It's my right to hold my vote- it's a protest against the election process which is obviously tainted.

It's already common knowledge that business is in bed with Congress. If you didn't know, then wake up dude.

If not a single citizen, outside of politics, didn't vote, then someone would be elected anyways. The "power" of the vote? Where is it that every citizen outside of politics could not vote and people still get elected to office?

That's pathetic.

You also have the "right" to lay down on the street and let everyone walk all over you because you don't consider your options in life perfect, but that is a stupid idea too.

If people choose to silence themselves then I don't want to hear a peep out of them about it later.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image65
              Ralph Deedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If no one voted there would be no elections and no democracy. I agree with Sab Oh for once that if you don't vote or participate in the process you lose your credibility to complain about the result.

You fail to realize that I said, that if no one voted, outside of the political arena, then people would still get elected to office.

There is NO value in the vote, when politicians continue to prove there is no value in the vote.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65

Not sure the word "elected" would apply. Our democracy has been corrupted to a large extent by money, but not completely. We have a duty to do our best to change this. Elect Feingold!

Politically we are probably almost polar opposites, but you generally have the right idea about the duty of citizens.

2. Abecedarian profile image77
                    Abecedarianposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Feingold is one of the few politicians that still argues the point and votes his way.  Did you know that this guy gives back his pay check. He's been working for free up there. I read that he'd agreed not to accept pay and that he is also frugle with his supply expenditures and returns all the money he doesn't use?

2. Ralph Deeds profile image65

"Are you saying you consider both candidates "EVIL"?"

It's a bit of a stretch to call Brown or Whitman or Boxer or Fiorina "evil."  Imperfect, yes, evil, no. Your attitude is one of alienation, not constructive.

To whom were those comments directed?

To Petra. You and I for once are on the same wavelength.

Aren't we always?

3. pylos26 profile image70
        pylos26posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Whoa...wait a minute!

If i vote republican...i can be damned the democrats.
        If i vote democrat.....i can be damned the repubs.

But...if i don't vote for either...i can be damned both parties...uhh...well at least that seems to be the norm here.

4. readytoescape profile image60
      readytoescapeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Petra,

So often in the majority of our elections the voter’s choice seems to always come down to evaluating the lesser of two evils. These candidates that “rise” to the top, invariably are nothing more than party backed popularity contest winners that have “earned” this position by nothing more than “voting booth” name recognition driven by millions of dollars spent in the media and voter apathy.

Your quandry is one that we all face, clearly evidenced by the last Presidential election.

Petra Vlahposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And that is exactely why I will not vote anymore.
        I have explained all my motives in a hub I just published today

5. Ralph Deeds profile image65

You're abdicating your responsibility as a citizen. Your are sacrificing the good in pursuit of your concept of the perfect.

6. mom101 profile image61
      mom101posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Petra, I can not remember if I mentioned, but I do have to say that as a result of our local election here, I doubt if I will ever go to a poll again.

The election commissioner was found dead in burning car and had been shot.

That is cause enough for me to not put myself or my son in the line of danger that could have happened at the poll.

That will really help improve the situation!

1. mom101 profile image61

Ralph, no, it won't help anything.

I understand I am not suppose to let fear guide me. 

I think one pont Petra is pointing out is simple. Mildly said, even if no vote was to be cast, the "chosen" candidate would still be elected.

Companies use to be proud of their product. Remember the oats people who always put little glasses or sometimes dishcloths in their boxes? Today what do we get? A higher prices item. What is the cause for such increase, even though 50% of their cost had been deleted, could it possibly be a step to power or is it just greed?

Would you think it is fair to think that the politians would go out of their way to have us to think one way when in fact the truth is the total opposite?

Ralph, what would help?

7. KFlippin profile image61
      KFlippinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Interesting topic presentation in light of Obama's strong remarks to Latino voters today who are apparently considering not voting....... Obama seems to think at the very least you should vote on a single issue and vote against "your enemies" - presumably whether you agree with the politics of this supposed enemy.  Barf, hard to believe our President said this, or many other things the past few days, I suppose I should just sit quiet in the back of the bus, but then that's not following that highly espoused Liberal 'Golden Rule' that is being tossed around and bastardized and hijacked and unbelievably used by so many in this country to justify lies and chaos and crap - not you Petra, just on my mind.

I do wish the guv'ment would buy me an new computer, mine crashes every day, stays down for days, and now I think it is permanent, thank ...someone, that I have a 10 year old slow Joe that I can pull out and stick a monitor on and get online for a little while before it chokes -- whose fault is that???  Did I not buy enough computers for the guv'ment when I was gainfully employed???  So it is Joy Behar retribution??? 

Californians need to simply vote for real change -- to go with the status quo is serving no one, not California, and certainly not the USA.  (And my screen has grayed out twice while I was writing this comment ...... the Golden Rule working??)  Naw......just life, and I accept that, and it is up to me to make my life what I wish it to be, and my computer.

KFlippin... I just heard yeserday of some of things being said out on the ole trail.

I am not sir-prised.

1. KFlippin profile image61
          KFlippinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

For sure, the news hitting the past week or so it enlightening. 

And if Dems were so truly big on giving the money to the people, then why aren't Pelosi and Reid and Dodd liquidating their assets and distributing them to the People........their politics are a sick joke on the American people, and the likes of Joy Behar, their heroine of the week, is equally a very twisted individual who should be fired, thrice over.

1. Jim Hunter profile image60
            Jim Hunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Joy Behar?

You can't even drink her pretty.

1. Stan Fletcher profile image60
              Stan Fletcherposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lolololol  smile

1. habee profile image92
                habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi, Stan! Merry Christmas!

8. bskinny profile image59
      bskinnyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Having lived in CA for about 12 years I finally came to the conclusion that CA is a lost cause.  When Arnold put common sense propositions on the ballot to help fix CA and the voters voted every sing one down, I realized there was no hope.  Now CA just voted in old Moon Beam as Governor so that now you have a Liberal House, Liberal Senate and Liberal Governor in CA.  Now every bill, every social program and all the spend spend spend will just fly right though.  What a bunch of idiots.

1. profile image58
        foreignpressposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This would make a very interesting hub, bskinny. That is, what can one do under these circumstances? Move? Continue the conservative fight? Hope that 2012 will wreak unholy devastation? California is doomed to a slow fiscal death. Brown is secretly hoping for a federal bailout. But even then -- assuming the fed monies are there -- nothing will change unless the problems are fixed first. However, I choose Option Three: a cataclysmic horror of destruction in 2012.

2. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

third largest state in the US in terms of size and largest in terms of population, WOW there is no viable candidate?

NONE as sad as it may be!

1. lady_love158 profile image59
        lady_love158posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Look at it this way, democrats (or progressive republicans like Arnold) led CA to where it is today, I think it's time you try electing the other guys... they can't possibly make it worse!

Progressive republican. Isn't that like "living dinosaur"? Face it, Dems suck, repubs suck, and the only tea partier that doesn't suck is a mad hatter.

2. Petra Vlah profile image60

Leave it up to Meg and Fiorina and THEY Will Make it WORSE

2. prettydarkhorse profile image62
        prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

sad there -- maybe this is related http://hubpages.com/question/78254/shou … erry-brown

Rick Perry is still it again here in TX, Bill White might pull a surprising win here ..

Have you gotten a look at NY's choices? Glad I don't live there anymore!

RENTS TOO DAMN HIGH!!!

I like that guy !

3. American_Choices profile image78
    American_Choicesposted 13 years ago

Do a write in - make a statement, vote and showcase they are not bringing in the right leadership.

Remember, women fought for the vote and it was finally awarded in 1920 - voting remains a privilege in the world today. 

Send a solid statement to the "leadership" of your state.

That will do me a lot of good, right?
      My statement against their money will really make a difference, I am sure

1. Evan G Rogers profile image60
        Evan G Rogersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Find a Libertarian or Constitution candidate

4. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Petra,
    Please don't not vote. I'm sure there are other candidates locally that warrant your positive vote. And then there are the initiatives. Voting is your right and (I believe) responsibility.

Not voting helps Whitman and Fiorina.
    Hooray -- let's send ALL our jobs to China! Let's repeal Roe v. Wade in all cases! Let's keep our billionaire fat and happy (and not creating jobs) but let the rest of us suffer with unemployment and foreclosure.
    Yes, those two are fine specimens.

Go ahead, call me sexist if you dare!

5. readytoescape profile image60
    readytoescapeposted 13 years ago

We should have mandated another choice on the ballot associated with each race, during any election, that choice should simply be “None of the Above.” 

If  “None of the Above” receives 30% of the vote or more (or 23% in races with more than 3 candidates), the original candidates are excluded and new candidates for the office can run in a special election held within 60 to 90 days.

The Office for which the election is held, should be vacated, until filled by the winner of the special election. This clause would eliminate an advantage for the incumbent retaining the office, effectively allowing the voters to “fire” the incumbent and choose a viable representative.

This addition to the process also has the ability to limit party power and PAC money polluting the "popularity contest." Which in the past has seen campaigning begin up to two to four years before an election, as was the case with Barrack Obama whose ambitions can be tracked back to the keynote speech at the democratic convention in 2003 or Marco Rubio’s candidacy in the present Florida Senate race that began when Mel Martinez announced his retirement almost two years ago.

6. Evan G Rogers profile image60
    Evan G Rogersposted 13 years ago

Vote libertarian - there's gotta be a Libertarian (or Constitutional) candidate on the balot!

Libertarian - taxes are theft and involuntary

Constitutionalist - We actually want to follow the Constitution.

7. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

Why not put your own name on the ballot, you may be the only one to vote for you but at least you got to use your vote to make a statement. By simply not voting you are not sending any sort of statement to anyone, you will instead be considered among that part of the population to lazy to vote or not allowed to vote.

8. Jeff Berndt profile image73
    Jeff Berndtposted 13 years ago

Petra, even if there's no candidates you want to vote for, there will certainly be someone you want to vote against. Also, consider that there might be a ballot proposal that you might want to support or oppose.

Just because the candidates are all substandard (I doubt that they're actually evil per se) doesn't mean that voting is entirely futile.

Futile? IF you KNEW  that you knew that you knew, that casting a vote (either way) WAS futile, would you take your time, use your gas, soap to get cleaned up with,  and put up with long lines, listen to contless people tell their story of their favorite, then, when the last vote was cast, the chairman got up, hung the "polls closed" shingle and emptied all the cast votes into a shredder and thanked everyone for their participation.

Jeff, I think there are a lot of people who, and with legit reasons, think that theirs as well as everyone elses vote is just an (hey, look at them, they really think they have a say so) insult.

I know for myself, 20 years ago, I would not be having some of the thoughts I am having today. Things like, teachers that teach, not nick pic. I could go on but things are not always as they would want us to think.

That is sad too.

9. aguasilver profile image71
    aguasilverposted 13 years ago

All ballots need a choice:

'None of the above'

and if they get the most votes, go again until someone is electable.

10. donotfear profile image83
    donotfearposted 13 years ago

Why not go Independent? If there is such a thing in CA.

Indipendents have no chance of being elected. Casting a vote for them is no better than not voting at all and refusing to be part of the charade

11. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

You can pretty much write most of California off.  It's going to be like Detroit but bigger.  Anyway, you guys can still enjoy the sand and the surf and the nice weather.

and that's all we have left...surfing on the sand under nice weather

12. qwark profile image61
    qwarkposted 13 years ago

I quit voting last election.
    Until the "2 party system" is replaced by a fairer multi-party system, until money cannot decide who runs, until the "common man" has a chance to be elected, until we get rid of the "electoral system" and the "popular" vote is instituted, until an NPA can vote in local gov't on and on and on!!! I will not vote again!
    Even IF ALL of the above came to pass, in todays world, money talks and corruption stalks............all elected politicians!
    The current system is absurd!

13. readyforwatscomin profile image57
    readyforwatscominposted 13 years ago

what a coinsidence that a holliwood star like Mr. Anold probably knows when is judgment-day and not cuz he was in the movie but for the simple reason that he is the governor of california,let hope that what is happening in the federal reserve is not going to take us all the people to a hyperinflation because the real question is...
    Are you prepare for this armageddon thats coming?
    all of you should do so google search and know
    what im trying to tell you
    God bless us all

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)