Author Score Dropping

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (26 posts)
  1. RandallOnTheMove profile image83
    RandallOnTheMoveposted 13 years ago

Just curious why my author score is dropping....My first few hubs were basically promotional and shorter and I had a score of 79. It has dropped to 67 as of today after a new hub I put up that was not promotional and has gotten more traffic than my other hubs. I have deleted a couple of hubs. Will that affect it and should I be worried at all and just keep posting? Also if I want to put this on another blog site, how much do I need to change so as not to get hit with duplicate content? Thanks for any help....

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

I looked through your hubs, checking for the usual suspects: Duplicate content, overly promotional, substandard. I found none of that. Another common reason is indiscriminately following others, which does not seem to apply here either.

I noticed that you have some outbound affiliate links. That is OK, as long as you have none more than 2 per hub, and the links do not go to malicious sites or sites unrelated to the contents.

Excessive and deceptive tagging, both of which are against the TOS, may be your problem. Finding A Great Job Part One has 34 tags, which are far too many for a relatively short hub. Also, a tag such as "data entry jobs" appears deceptive, as it is unrelated to the contents of your hub. I am surprised if there are no warnings on the hubs themselves. You may want to reduce the amount of tags to about a dozen. You can research the forums for further details.

Deleting hubs does not benefit author score. However, that in and of itself should not bring you below 75, when all outbound links become no-follow. So again, my bet is the tags.

As for copying modified versions onto other sites, the easiest thing to remember is don't do it. Otherwise, a substantial rewrite may be required to avoid duplicate content flagging. But you will be competing against yourself in the search engines, which may not benefit you at all.

1. Just Ask Susan profile image89
      Just Ask Susanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yesterday my author score was higher in many of my hubs so I will go and check my tags. Thanks Website Examiner.

1. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are welcome. But the OP had a score of 67, yours it at 96; that's a huge difference. I don't see you as having any problems.

Sorry I guess I had misunderstood.. I was talking about the individual hubs scores. For example my shortbread recipe hub was higher yesterday than it is today.

1. profile image0

I was wondering about that. The scores for individual hubs go up and down all the time, that is probably nothing to worry about. If there were excessive or deceptive tags, there should be a warning on the hub. If such a warning is ignored, the hub could be unpublished by moderators, the hub score may drop drastically, and/or the author score may take a hit.

Thanks so much!

3. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 13 years ago

Are you sure you havent been automating self serving backlinks?  Hubpages penalises people for this.

1. SEO Ibiza profile image60
      SEO Ibizaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

what do you mean by this, could you expand on that please?

4. RandallOnTheMove profile image83

Thanks for the help. I don't even know how to automate backlinks so I am not sure about that. I think I will continue to post things like my last post and after a dozen or so I will delete the others. Again, thanks for the help.

5. RandallOnTheMove profile image83

Is it possible that the pictures on my last hub hurt both the hub score and author score? I don't understand how a non-promotional post has a lower score than a promotional post when traffic is about the same. I did put a link on Facebook to this hub. Is that an issue? I don't see how it would be, but I am new to this.

1. profile image0

I don't see these issues as having any effect. I can now see that since yesterday, you have reduced the number of tags for the hub in question from 34 to 12. This could be the reason that your author score has started rising, hopefully it will continue.

6. OldSkoolFool profile image59
    OldSkoolFoolposted 13 years ago

Sometimes your author score will drop a bit from time to time when adding a new hub that has not gotten any real traffic. I think it's normal to see that a bit.

1. profile image0

I agree.

7. profile image0
    BenjaminBposted 13 years ago

Author score will also fluctuate like crazy for seemingly no reason at all.

I noticed some on this thread are kind of jumbling up Author Score and Hub Score.

I've had my Author Score shoot up 4 points in the matter of a few hours only to watch it fall back down 4 points in the next few hours. Likewise I have seen the same happen with Hub Scores.

As long as your Author Score remains over 75 I would not worry about it at all.

1. TahoeDoc profile image79
      TahoeDocposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi all. I'm new here and this is driving me crazy too. I hear you that I shouldn't worry about it too much, but I'm not used to ignoring scores. I have competed for good scores all my life and might need therapy if I don't get my score to 90 soon, LOL.

Seriously, though. I thought my recent increased activity answering questions, participating here in the forums and having a few more followers would help. Instead, my score dropped in one day from 87 (so close to where I wanted to be) back down to 82- a little too close to 75 for me! I am bothered by this. It seems the only thing that really affected it was that my hubs' traffic dropped yesterday-Christmas day (although their individual scores all went up). My author score plummeted with one day's traffic.

Confused, and a bit disappointed, I guess.

1. profile image0

Pretty unreasonable attitude for a member of 3 weeks with a current author score of 82, I think. From a systemic point of view, whatever you have been trying to accomplish or prove must appear pretty shallow or at least tentative.

Wow, I'm sorry to have offended or to have been unreasonable. My motivation is to do a good job and stay motivated. I have never done anything with a shallow approach, not ever. I have no idea what is reasonable here as I am new and was looking for guidance and support.  I guess I got one of those. So much for putting myself out there. Ouch.

1. profile image0

I think you may have misunderstood what I meant. When I talk about "systemic," I am talking about you trying to convince a computer that you are worthy of an author score of 90 or above. I think a computer may find that 3 weeks of activity is only tentative, and therefore you ought to give the process a bit more time.

The only guidance and support I can offer is that you be reasonable in your expectations and not impatient. I have been trying to explain to you how the process actually works.

Thank you for clarifying and I'm sorry for misunderstanding. I know I'm impatient. It makes me good at my anesthesia job where instant decisions with immediate consequenses are the norm and are necessary.... but not so good at things that require time (my poor kids, LOL). Definitely a weakness of mine and I do appreciate the reminder. I may need to hear it over and over...

I also tend to be tentative when I start posting in forums and so on and as such, was probably overly sensitive.

Again, thank you for your input and explanation. smile

2. bogerk profile image70
        bogerkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Tahoe Doc -
        It is hard to ignore the scores because  like you said, motivated people have always focused on scores and measures of success.
        But, with that being said, .... you have to ignore the scores. On a day where I published three new pieces of original content, answered three questions and commented in multiple forum posts, my score dropped from a 93 to 89.
        According to everything I have seen, I did almost everything a "good" Hubber can do in a day, and it dropped.
        So, I would just worry about your writing and publishing a high quantity of high-quality Hubs.

Thank you for reassuring me that it's ok not to worry too much about the score. I guess that's what I was wondering. I have read through the forums and lots of people say not to worry about it, and still lots of people worry.

I will try not to and I will certainly be careful about voicing my concerns here. Thank you for being helpful and supportive.

1. bogerk profile image70
            bogerkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Don't worry about voicing your concerns. 9.9 out of 10 replies you get on this forum or any other are typically helpful and reassuring.

HubPages is a great community for beginning web writers, I myself am just getting started and have enjoyed the experience thus far.

Good luck!

Well, thank you again. I definitely regretted posting and am not sure I'd do it again, but you were most helpful.

Good luck to you too!

8. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

TahoeDoc, glad we got it cleared up. Keep the fire burning...

9. TahoeDoc profile image79
    TahoeDocposted 13 years ago

smile Thanks again.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)