What did you get this holiday?

Jump to Last Post 1-28 of 28 discussions (65 posts)
  1. Maddie Ruud profile image72
    Maddie Ruudposted 13 years ago

I'm [momentarily] sick of hunting spammers and need some holiday cheer.  What did you get for Christmas/Hannukah/Kwanzaa/Solstice/Festivus this year?  It doesn't have to be something material, could be as simple as a break from work, time with family, or a really good meal.

I did not get much of a break from work, or time with family, as they all live far away, but I did have some wonderful dinners with my partner's family, and received a sewing machine!

1. Abbasangel profile image64
      Abbasangelposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Camera!! smile

Great Meal and no Chrsitmas Blues!!! ; )

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I got a couple of iTunes gift certificates... and a week off work.

2. Mike Dale profile image61
    Mike Daleposted 13 years ago

Fresh crab season in CA, so we had a pile of crab for dinner, and the leftovers are being made into a pasta sauce. Yum!

My favorite gift is a Read Deal Brazil tarp hat, just awesome!

3. saleheensblog profile image61
    saleheensblogposted 13 years ago

~lots of love from the hubbers

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/4312772.jpg

~first amazon sale
    ~ plenty of messages in my inbox

4. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 13 years ago

I got the best gift in the world, my entire family under one roof!  I also got an awesome coffee grinder and french press!

5. Midnight Oil profile image82
    Midnight Oilposted 13 years ago

A white Christmas - the first one ever !

6. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

I got to spend just about all day Christmas Eve with hubby, daughters, sons-in-law, and the 8 grands. It was great! We passed out candy at the nursing home, went out to lunch, and put out food for the squirrels, rabbits, opossums, foxes, raccoons, and birds. We also gave our feral cats extra treats. That night, we had a big party, where we read the Biblical Christmas story to the kids, ate goodies, and exchanged gifts. After that, our closest friends came over.

One of my best gifts was a large collage made up of pics of the grands. I also love my new Paula Deen cookware. I just used it for the first time!

7. Bill Manning profile image69
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

I got gift cards to dunkin donuts and sonny's real pit BBQ. So now I've got my coffee and feed! smile

1. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi, Bill. Our Sonny's closed down because the local owner refused to sell beer in the restaurant. Fortunately, another BBQ restaurant took its place. I do miss Sonny's ribs, though!

1. Bill Manning profile image69
        Bill Manningposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Habee. We got a lot of them around Orlando. I myself like the pork and chicken. smile

1. Maddie Ruud profile image72
          Maddie Ruudposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've never heard of Sonny's, but whew boy, if you're ever in Texas, find yourself a Rudy's BBQ.  It's a lucky thing I live in California or I'd be wearing pants at least a few sizes bigger because of that place.

My partner's dad did make some melt-in-your-mouth ribs for Christmas dinner this year, but it's just not the same...

What yummy dishes did you all indulge in this season?  (No self-imposed guilt allowed.)

1. Bill Manning profile image69
            Bill Manningposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, if I ever get out there I'll give them a try. I did not have too much different to eat on Christmas, but I now have lots of chocolates from my mom who always buys me those Swiss Family Colony gift foods. smile

8. camlo profile image85
    camloposted 13 years ago

I got a few days off work (I'm back tomorrow, which is why I'm avoiding the 'abbreviation game' tonight), a couple of good dinner invitations, a new watch, tons of chocolate (I'm eating some right now), and I've managed to write five Hubs, bringing my total up to 40!

1. Julie2 profile image60
      Julie2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good for you Camlo!!! I have to check those hubs out.

9. KCC Big Country profile image85
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

I almost stopped off at Rudy's on the way home today!  LOL   Instead, I'm making me a tuna sandwich.  sad

The only gifts I got for Christmas were ones I bought myself so I'd least have something to unwrap.  I got myself a watch with a matching bracelet though.

1. camlo profile image85
      camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nobody bought you a present, KCC?
      I just keep on about things I want, and eventually people buy it for me, just to shut me up.
      I needed a watch that matches gold, so kept complaining that I didn't have one, and now I've got one. Black and bronze - I think I mentioned it before ...

1. KCC Big Country profile image85
        KCC Big Countryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nope.  Long story.  All of the gifts I had I bought myself.

1. camlo profile image85

That doesn't sound as though it's a good story ...
          I would have bought you a present, had I known where to send it.

2. Maddie Ruud profile image72

I got you something, KCC... a virtual hug!  (((((KCC)))))  You can't really unwrap it, though.

Awwwww...thanks Maddie!  Swing by Texas and I'll buy you some Rudy's!

10. jokeapptv profile image61
    jokeapptvposted 13 years ago

gift cards...............lots gift cards

11. Vacation Planner profile image57
    Vacation Plannerposted 13 years ago

One big stocking full of goodies. My calories count just when through the roof.

12. KCC Big Country profile image85

Thanks, Camlo.  I appreciate that.  It's not a tearful story.  I took care of myself like big girls do.

That is usually the case. If you want something get it yourself. No matter how many clues you may leave behind you may just get the wrong thing anyway!

13. Beth100 profile image70
    Beth100posted 13 years ago

Hey KCC, this is for you....

http://www.chocablog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Callebaut-Closed.JPG

and when you open it, this is what is inside

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_-PPTG9oEKk8/TKLhO1VInqI/AAAAAAAAB1o/SnMhll7OkAA/s320/Bernard+Callebaut.jpg

Merry Christmas (it's never too late to wish that, is it??)  and a

((HUGS))

and for me,

jewelery, money, two days off from work  smile

14. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

I made something really different but yummy - chocolate Bugles! I made a filling of peanut butter, vanilla, powdered sugar, and butter and stuffed it into the Bugles. Then I dipped the ends of the Bugles in melted chocolate.

We also had some crab-stuffed shrimp wrapped in bacon, meatballs, boiled shrimp, crab cakes, pigs-in-blankets, cheeses, fruits, dips and spreads, crackers, chicken strips, and homemade candies and cookies. I made some great wassail, too.

Those Bugles sound sinfully good!

1. habee profile image93

I'd send you some, but every last one was gobbled up! lol

I bet!  The salty corn crunch, the sweet peanut butter and dipped in choc.....omg

1. habee profile image93

Something about that special combination of sweet and salty...

1. Beth100 profile image70
              Beth100posted 13 years agoin reply to this

ohhhh,  you're making me hungry for a snack!!!  lol

you bring the bugles, and I'll bring the chocolate. smile

1. habee profile image93

Okay! KCC, you bring the peanut butter!

I'm on it!  I got it......sounds like a plan!

2. camlo profile image85

Can I come, too? I'm afraid I have no bulges, but I can eat chocolate ...

Champagne goes really good with chocolate, can I come too?! LOL

1. habee profile image93

Sure, Julie! I'm a more-the-merrier type person!!

15. KCC Big Country profile image85

LOL....thanks Beth!

1. Beth100 profile image70
      Beth100posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh yes, Happy New Year too!!!

smile

Oh, this past week, at a children's speciality toy store, you would not believe what I found!!!  Your avatar!!!!!  When I saw it, I thought of you.  smile  And, it even clapped the cymbals!!

LOL...Happy New Year to you too!

I had someone contact me through HP asking where they could buy one.  I told them about the Amazon link on my Hub that talks about my avatar.  Someone (I assume them) bought one the next day and I made a few bucks. 

Glad you thought of me when you saw it.  smile

16. KCC Big Country profile image85

LOL.....bugles Camlo...bugles......no one is talking about bulges.  wink

1. camlo profile image85

I haven't got any of those either ... whatever they are.

http://www.bnrglobal.com/Toms/images/Bugles-Original-Flavor.jpg

Here you go....little tornado shaped corn chips.

1. camlo profile image85

Ah, thanks! Never seen them before.
          Yeah, I was pretty sure you didn't mean the brass instrument.

No, they would be a bit TOO crunchy and take far too much peanut butter to fill and you'd have to have a vat of chocolate to dip them in.  smile

17. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 13 years ago

My husband and I have started a new life in Missouri.  We quit our jobs and bought some acreage to begin our new business and live a completely different kind of life.

For Christmas, I received a Kindle, two kittens, and the promise of three new goats in January (they will be weaned then)!

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image75
      Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Pretty Panther For raising goats for milk and to make cheese? (Goats cheese is delish)

Spent a 'heck' of a long time on the phone & Skype with family, since I have none here and they all live interstate.

Double benefit though - Every year the 26th Dec (Boxing Day in some Commonwealth countries) and the 1st of January are national public holidays. Yet I'm on vacation for 3 weeks, a merry merry indeed.

Around this time next year, I hope to attend a Hub Camp, most likely the US.

1. profile image0
        PrettyPantherposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, we are building a herd of dairy goats.  We will probably also build a herd of meat goats, if all goes well.  This will be my side vocation while hubby works on getting the bison herd going.

We are having so much fun!

1. habee profile image93

Nubians for dairy? Boer goats for meat?

We used to have goats, and they were a lot of fun!

2. Maddie Ruud profile image72

I want some goats!  Actually, I'd rather have a llama.  But goats are a close second.  I don't think they'd get along with my dog, though... and if it came down to it, I'd bet on the goats. wink

1. profile image0
        PrettyPantherposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I love my goats!  They are entertaining and gentle creatures.  I confess that I like them better than my dogs (we have two boisterous golden retrievers), and just as much as I love my cats.

I haven't been around them much, but llamas strike me as kind of cranky.  smile

18. jantamaya profile image60
    jantamayaposted 13 years ago

I wanted a dog but got a pizza :-|

19. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Camlo, can you bring the powdered sugar?

Bugles - my grandson calls them "elf hats"! lol

Awwwww elf hats...that's cute.   Being from Texas, we always called them tornadoes.  smile  Of course,  you have wear one on each finger before eating them.  Although, your variety might be a bit messy to do that with.

20. sofs profile image76
    sofsposted 13 years ago

I received love and unlimited joy of giving this Christmas, I refuse gifts as the joy of giving surpasses all other!!

21. jantamaya profile image60
    jantamayaposted 13 years ago

I wanted a dog but got a pizza :-|

1. habee profile image93

At least that's better than getting a puppy pizza!

22. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Oh darn! I didn't even think to look in The Sandpit for this topic, so I started a similar thread on Hubbers Hangout.

Amazing the diversity of people's holidays!

I got two gifts worth mentioning (plus the one in my Hubbers Hangout thread, of course)

1. My son gave Hubby and me a generous weekend away at our favorite hotel on the Sonoma Coast. Can't wait to put the kayak on the rack and head over for some refreshing ocean air!
    2. Got to spend an awesome Christmas with my family. I have come to really enjoy my sister and brother! So sad Hubby's family is in tatters. But we have mine, and that's neat.

Happy holidays to all.... MM

23. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

I got bunch of flowers, chocolates, cooking ware from my sister, hair dryer etc..and money from my father (he still gave me, I am old already). I used the money to buy china vase and china ware plus a wallet (my old wallet is tattered).

It was fun, the nicest gift I received was my baby who has some difficulty talking (she is 3)told me, I yab yu mommy! Meyi Kismas..something like that..

Happy New year to all, and best for the coming year of the rabbit...

24. Julie2 profile image60
    Julie2posted 13 years ago

I got a Kitchen Aid Mixer. The pretty red one I have been hinting about for months. The one chef's use on the Food and Cooking Channel, the one Chef Ramsey has in his kitchen. That mixer!

My husband gave me my gift on Christmas eve incase it wasn't the one I wanted. Not to my surprise it was the wrong color, it was the white one. I was happy it was the mixer I wanted but I just wasn't happy about the color. He asked if I wanted it changed and I told him that it was fine I would keep that one. It looked so plain in white, I couldn't see myself getting inspired to bake. It was ughhhh, I dont know, I just may be crazy! Maybe I'm the only nut that feels that way about certain colors....

Anyway, he took it back and got me the red one. When I took it out of the box I was so excited. I dont know what it is but that shiny fire engine red mixer just got me! I was in love! LOL.

25. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 13 years ago

After more than a dozen years of living in the Sierra foothills, we had our first visit from a bear -- a small brown bear with a tan muzzle.  It was three o'clock in the morning and he was trying to get into the duck aviary.
    We found out that bears can turn on motion sensor lights.

1. habee profile image93

Too cool!!

26. emievil profile image67
    emievilposted 13 years ago

Online? My 3rd Adsense payout and getting an almost - $20 commission from Amazon (for December alone). Plus I hit 200,000 views in HP smile.

27. profile image0
    Toby Hansenposted 13 years ago

For Xmas this year, I got a lovely pair of amethyst stud earrings, a box of Turkish Delight (my favourite sweet), a poster of my Labrador X, a soccer ball mood light, and the one thing that I ask for every year... sox!
    I also got to host Xmas dinner for the first time (at 38!), and told to move back home by Mum due to my deteriorating health.

28. frogdropping profile image78
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

Ok ... for Christmas I got a new dragon charm, a pair of scarves (I love warm outdoor wear), videos, 2 x teddy bears, a small keepsake box, calendar ... lots of sweeties and other small bits and pieces.

Best part about the day was the fact that my adult sons stayed over Christmas eve, so me, Simões and my three kids all got up together and opened gifts.

The next best thing was the dinner over at my sisters.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)