Brett Favre "Inactive" tonight- End of a Record!

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Michael Willis profile image68
    Michael Willisposted 13 years ago

I heard on NFL Network and ESPN that Brett Favre will Not play in tonight's Minnesota Vikings game against the NY Giants.
    A record 297 consecutive starts ends!

It is good that the team did not just put Favre out there for  a play or two  just to get the "stat." That would have tarnished the greatness of the record. Favre definitely has been the most durable player in the NFL.

His record now is part of NFL History!

1. bogerk profile image71
      bogerkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

As a lifetime Green Bay Packer fan and once HUGE fan of Brett Favre, I have to say, for the first time in a few years, I am proud of him.

I really thought he would be selfish (as he has been since 2007) and start for one or two possessions.

I am glad to see I was wrong.

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Although I'm not a Packer fan, I feel the exact same way as you do about all this.  I guess if he does finally decide to retire after all this, everyone in the NFL can finally move on from this.

2. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yes a record for sure.

3. I am DB Cooper profile image64
      I am DB Cooperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's funny that you mention the possibility of Favre going out there just to "get the stat". I seem to remember Favre once going down to the turf unprovoked just so Michael Strahan could tag him and get the single season sacks record (breaking the previous record by half a sack).

Brett Favre has been selfish this season in keeping this record streak going even though he's been injured. The Vikings should have been developing their young quarterback instead of parading Favre out there each week despite a series of ailments. Favre should have stepped back and assumed a mentoring role as soon as it was clear he couldn't perform at an acceptable level consistently.

2. LakeShow T profile image75
    LakeShow Tposted 13 years ago

Yeah, many players wanted him to go out there for a snap, but why even do that? I agree it would have tarnished the record and his legacy in regard to the record. It would have also made him look like he cares only about himself and he was smart enough to know that.

3. Mikeydoes profile image43
    Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

Hope the Manning boys can beat him! Seems like with concussions making players come out, that it is going to be hard. Look at Aaron Rodgers. Jay Cutler too, they weren't allowed to play, even if they want to.

It is a good thing though.

4. LakeShow T profile image75
    LakeShow Tposted 13 years ago

Wow. I am surprised to hear that as of Tuesday evening there is a good possibility that Favre will start Monday against the Bears. I was sure he was going to head straight to the injured reserve. It doesn't make a lot of sense to play him over Tarvaris Jackson, being that Jackson is a free agent after this season and they have to see what they have in him. However, it sounds like Jackson may not be able to play due to turf toe, which is what makes this possible. We'll see what happens. It's almost hard to imagine Favre playing again though. I heard his current injury should require at least 3 weeks of rest, but we'll see if he continues to defy the odds. I am surprised he'd be willing to now that the streak is over. Kudos to him if he does play because most others in his situation would have just mailed it in and ran with the fat paycheck.

5. Michael Willis profile image68
    Michael Willisposted 13 years ago

The Vikings need to use the Draft to find them a QB. T. Jackson has shown he cannot lead this team. There is enough talent on the offense to help develop a young QB from the draft. This year's draft will have a few quality QB available. Especially if Luck and Mallet come out a year early.

1. LakeShow T profile image75
      LakeShow Tposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree Michael. Last year Vikings fans were hoping the Vikes would pick up Favre's successor in the draft. There were many rumors that we were going to pick Tebow, but the Broncos got to him before we had a shot. Then we made a trade which made it appear as though we were definitely going to select Jimmy Clausen in the early second round. Much to the surprise of Vikings fans, that did not happen either. Then Colt McCoy was still available for quite a while and we did not select him either.

The Vikings have a number of free agents, so it is hard to say what the team will look like next season or if it will continue to spend the money to try and contend. If we try to contend, we'll go after the best veteran QB we can get. It's quite possible however that the Vikes will just blow it all up and start over.

I'd like to get Andrew Luck from Stanford, but he will likely go #1 overall especially if someone like the Bills has the top pick.

1. I am DB Cooper profile image64

Well it looks like the Bills are no longer in the running for that pick, and I can't see the Panthers taking a QB. That said, I would be shocked if Luck is still around when it's the Vikings turn to pick.

6. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

Just a thought, he can be a coach as many teams will fire their coach soon. LOL.

1. LakeShow T profile image75
      LakeShow Tposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think he should. He would make for a good coach in my opinion. He was definitely 1,000 times more knowledgeable than former coach Brad Childress in terms of how to run an offense.

7. rotl profile image60
    rotlposted 13 years ago

Time for Favre to move on. People are sick of him. The tractor awaits...

8. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 13 years ago

I heard that Eli Manning would have to start every game through the 2022 season to beat his record.

I think that's what impresses me the most about the record. It might not be as impressive as Ripken's 2500+ consecutive games, but it only took Ripken about 16 years to accomplish that feat. It took Favre 18 years for his record, which is why it will probably never be broken. Since they pretty much have to play college football, NFL quarterbacks generally won't start a game until they're 23 years old. To break Favre's record with 16 game seasons even if you became a regular starter in the NFL right out of college (which is rare) you'd have to play until you're nearly 42. An 18 game season would make it possible in 16.5 seasons, but that would still mean a guy would have to start every game into his late 30's.

9. GmaGoldie profile image80
    GmaGoldieposted 13 years ago

Brett Favre has allot to be proud of.  His family, his career, I pray that he can recover from this year.  This is a good start.

I love the idea of Favre coaching - a new chapter is what is needed now.  Excellent point!

10. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

He was fined today for failing to cooperate with the investigation and I am glad I can see him still play on Sunday if he will be cleared regarding his concussion,

I wouldn't expect him to play. Even if he's cleared to play, the Vikings saw something special in Joe Webb last night. If Favre gets any snaps at all it will just be a token to commemorate his career. This season has been a disaster for Favre's body and his public image. The sooner he leaves the playing field the better off he'll be.

11. rotl profile image60
    rotlposted 13 years ago

I can't wait for the season to be over so I can stop hearing about Brett Favre. Good riddance.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)