Obama?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (36 posts)
  1. AskAshlie3433 profile image60
    AskAshlie3433posted 13 years ago

Do you all think Obama is leading the country in the right direction? Why?

1. Doug Hughes profile image60
      Doug Hughesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Generally, yes.

Ended Torture Policy.

Health Care Reform.

Wall Street Oversight.

On Schedule to Exit Iran.

START Treaty with Russia.

Active Engagement in the Mideast (Israel & Arabs)

Ended DADT in Military.

Went Head to Head with BP over Oil Spill Cost.

Improved Global Opinion of US.

1. Druid Dude profile image61
        Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Now that the GOP won't let him stray from the straight and narrow. He' sso pliant. Like a reed blowing in the wind off of the Blue Nile. Do we need a bender? Or would we be better off with a rod of iron?

2. BillyDRitchie profile image60
        BillyDRitchieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Odd, I wasn't aware we were in Iran.....guess I missed the memo.....

And he got involved in the oil spill, what, a MONTH after it began?  Saying he wouldn't rest a moment until the spill was capped (not counting the vacations he took during that time, of course).

Improved global opinion of the US?  Yeah, among nations who would like to see us weakened as a world power.

Um, no, he is not leading us in the right direction.  A center right country does not want to be governed from the far left, and the American people made that abundantly clear in the most recent election.

1. ediggity profile image61
          ediggityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL, especially at the opening line.lol

2. lady_love158 profile image60
      lady_love158posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sure if you think you're a Lemming being led off a cliff! Obama is a communists and a fool an arrogant narcissist and a hater of freedom!

1. getitrite profile image71
        getitriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sarah Palin 2012!!!

1. lady_love158 profile image60
          lady_love158posted 13 years agoin reply to this

She would have my vote that's for sure!

2. lovemychris profile image76
        lovemychrisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Excuse me--would this be an example of "right of center"?

1. BillyDRitchie profile image60

Well, Obama is definitely a narcissist....there's no denying that, what with the constant references to himself all the blessed time....

Hater of freedom?  Hate may be a strong word, but the man's answer to everything is "more government", and we all know that government only gains power at the expense of the people's freedom, sooooo.......

1. lovemychris profile image76

Is that a yes?

3. DTR0005 profile image60
        DTR0005posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Obama a hater of freedom... that's interesting. I don't defend the man personally (he has his character flaws) but a "hater of freedom" sounds a little Rush Limbaughish. You care to expand on that a bit? Attempting to bring healthcare, guaranteed healthcare, to the most powerful nation in the world and the only industrialized western nation that doesn't have it is hardly a "hater of freedom." But then again, who is he really "hating" when he dumps 25 million more customers in the hands of the health insurance companies? Though they hated to admit it, health insurance stocks soared off the charts when universal health care was signed into law. And why wouldn't it? Forgive me if I missed that day in school, but what about any of that is "communist?" And I suppose my mandate to carry liability insurance on my auto is likewise a communist plot to take over the country? I remember very well the hell that was raised when states started to mandate financial responsibility for motorists. Now that has become the norm.

lovemychrisposted 13 years ago

"i bend like a pliable willow in a storm
    i bend but refuse to break"

You all don't know Obama vewwy well.
    He is no mushmellow.
    That's Boner wink

1. couturepopcafe profile image59
      couturepopcafeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Have to agree with lmc on this.  Sans the nasty namecalling.  I always thought a president should not have an iron will.  That would make him a dictator.  Obama did the right thing in many cases, some I don't agree with, but others I do.  People scream about party politics then when the president doesn't play party politics, they call him a bender.

3. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

So true, couturepopcafe. That seems to be the criticism du jour.
    People scream about party politics then when the POTUS doesn't play party politics they call him a bender.
    Let's dissect this thought for a minute:
    1. People scream -- oh yes, they do!
    2. About party politics -- on both sides! so mature!!!
    3. When the POTUS doesn't play party politics --meaning, he practices bipartisanship, making compromises as necessary to get bills passed and effect forward progress for the good of the country
    4. They call him a bender. Who is calling him a bender?
    Is is the left, accusing him of bowing to the right?
    Is it the right, levying the only criticism available(since he's basically trying to work WITH and not AGAINST them)?

If he remains inflexible, like an iron rod, he will be ineffective with the current and incoming GOP Congress. Who will respect that? The Dems? I don't believe so.
    If he bends in the name of expediency, he is disrespected for blowing in the wind.
    I still don't understand who -- which side -- is getting down on him for showing some resilience????
    Anybody?

4. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

I think overall Obama is doing a good job in difficult times. I don't think he should have bent so much to the republicans when it came to health care reform, but at least America is finally making some real headway in to an NHS style system.

One thing I am perplexed by is the increases which have continued to be made under Obama in military spending, he has continued to increase this even more than the dramatic raises made by bush junior.

1. profile image0
      Sophia Angeliqueposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is possibly because the reigns of power in certain places is so powerful that he cannot budge without conceding something.

2. Reality Bytes profile image74
      Reality Bytesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

He is the leader of the National Security state which devours the people's income at an alarming pace!

5. lovemychris profile image76

"A center right country does not want to be governed from the far left, and the American people made that abundantly clear in the most recent election."

Disagree. We are not center-right.
    Only thing made abundantly clear is that a powerful smear-campaign worked.

PS...Obama is anything but far left...where do you even GET that idea?

You voted for change? You got the old Republicans. Now, we have to deal with that BS....again! After 8 years of it.

*SIGH*!!

"PS...Obama is anything but far left...where do you even GET that idea?"

Snicker...snort.....I'm sorry, LMC.....GUFFAW!  No, really, stop it, you're killing me!

A smear campaign?  Oh, it couldn't possibly be because the American people saw what Obama was doing and, oh I don't know, DIDN'T LIKE IT?

Or does that make too much sense?

And if they were smearing him, then why was the oh so intelligent and articulate Barack Obama (who can command prime time TV coverage pretty much any time he wants it) unable to effectively respond and refute their "smears'?

Pray tell?

"Oh, it couldn't possibly be because the American people saw what Obama was doing and, oh I don't know, DIDN'T LIKE IT?"

Kind of like what happened in 08 huh?
          Funny, how quickly America changed? I don't think so.

"And if they were smearing him, then why was the oh so intelligent and articulate Barack Obama (who can command prime time TV coverage pretty much any time he wants it) unable to effectively respond and refute their "smears'?"

I know---with such a "Liberal" media, right? *Snark*

Let's see....you got a TV station, and all of talk radio starting a smear campaign way back 6 months or so before he was in office..
          Non-stop, hateful and vicious.
          Unrelenting. 20 hrs a day.

Meanwhile, other stations are busy reporting news and silly stuff like that.
          Now that we FINALLY have liberal TV and radio...just started/low frequency, but it's there!--they are just as critical of Obama as the right...only not as vicious and lieing about it.

I think Obama is following the Zen credo: Give evil nothing to attack, and it will go away of its own accord.

hissssssssssss-away vicious liars.

1. Jim Hunter profile image60
            Jim Hunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"I think Obama is following the Zen credo: Give evil nothing to attack, and it will go away of its own accord."

Well, like most of his strategies this one is a failure too.

That's where you are wrong.

You think we like bombastic, hateful idiots. We don't.

And, sorry to say--that is what you have put back into place, imo.

Really? I think it was Obama who said "America will never have single-payer, it's just not our way."
        Guess which idea is big with the "far left"?
        Obama compromised with Republicans.....guess who's angry at that?
        War in Afghanistan and Pakistan? Ooooooh, "far left" not too happy!

I guess if someone is not "center-right", you consider them "far left"?

1. Jim Hunter profile image60
          Jim Hunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"Really? I think it was Obama who said "America will never have single-payer, it's just not our way."

Yes, he probably said that.

He also said.

"I happen to be a proponent of a single payer universal health care plan"

And don't forget these gems.

"The health care bill will not increase the deficit by one dime."
          "ObamaCare Fee is not a new tax"
          "I am immediately instituting PayGo “Pay as you go”"
          "No Earmarks in the $787 Billion Stimulus"
          "Guantanamo bay to be closed within a year"
          "Under our plan, no federal dollars will be used to fund abortions, and federal conscience laws will remain in place."

And my personal favorite.
          "The Health Care Package will pay for itself"

Well, you can listen to Limbaugh, I prefer the CBO---whom the Democrats have "been glued to".

Rush? he's glued to that EIB seat....like a big piece of rubber! Boing Boing

2. BillyDRitchie profile image60

I have long maintained that the best election ad for anybody would consist of just taking soundbites from your opponent demonstrating their various views on a given subject.

I know Obama would prove to be a gold mine of material.....

2. uncorrectedvision profile image61
          uncorrectedvisionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpAyan1fXCE
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-bY92mcOdk
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7wTDK-LwqE

The goal, expressed by Shining Handsome Obama, and others is to move to a single payer system.  He has consistently expressed preference is for a single payer system.  If he had paused the creation of the world, say on the 3rd day, he would have created a single payer system.  Instead he finished that days creative endeavors and adjourned to the links for a little duffing.

6. profile image0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 13 years ago

Yes.

He took over at a time when the consequences of the previous POTUS and the errors of policies of 30 years were just coming home to roost. Despite that, the degree of legisation to correct some of these things has been at a faster rate than any other POTUS.

He said when he was running for power that he didn't know how much he could correct because it would be a very difficult job. He knew that those that held power would not easily bend to what he needed to be done because they would put up opposition at every stroke. The ropes of corruption and entitlement are too deeply ingrained for most politicians to want to fix the status quo. They benefit too much.

I name you just one little law that made things better for the masses.

Stopping a lot of the abuse that credit card operators inflicted on those who used credit cards.

Reading through some of the issues and legislation is mind boggling.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/issues

Also, for the first time in a very long time, America has a leader that is universally liked and respected because he is a human being with sensitivity and he gets what the rest of the world is saying.

7. Evan G Rogers profile image61
    Evan G Rogersposted 13 years ago

I'd be a fool to be mad ONLY at Obama.

I'm angry at our government in general -

It:

-put incentives in place to make the BP oil spill much more common

-has yet to close it's Gulag, aka Gitmo

-has yet to end the war on drugs, which so far has been a complete waste

-has yet to end any war ever (every country we've ever invaded, we still have at least one military base)

-bombs pakistan randomly with drone planes. yeesh.

-hates the fact that someone is bringing to light its errors (wikileaks)

-every day wastes wealth on inefficiencies that could be done better in the market.

-ignores its own constitution.

-decided that destroying cars and then buying new ones for people with stolen money was a good idea.

and numerous other things. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsUZkxyYJUk

8. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

Wow, there are some great points being put forward here on both sides of the argument! It is not often that I read a political thread and find both sides making points I can agree with or at least seriously consider and possibly modify my views a little to get a clearer picture of American politics (always a difficult job!)

9. misscoles profile image60
    misscolesposted 13 years ago

White Horsemen ????

10. misscoles profile image60
    misscolesposted 13 years ago

The seals have been broken!

11. lovemychris profile image76

Yeah--this one was a gem: OOOOhhhhhh, "Bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb Iran".

Catchy in a demented sort of way.

12. Ralph Deeds profile image65
    Ralph Deedsposted 13 years ago

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)