why irrationality is the rule of all religions?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (19 posts)
  1. profile image0
    jomineposted 13 years ago

believers tend to believe. but they can't explain their beliefs rationally. the more irrational they are, the more vehement they become. why no believers can think rationally? is it some congenital abnormality?

1. simeonvisser profile image68
      simeonvisserposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Religious can sometimes reason rationally but not with respect to every part of their religion. Religion, by its very nature, relies on one or more leaps of faith and all the rest is built on that. When you point out those leaps of faith, some still try to reason rationally but that is simply impossible.

1. pylos26 profile image69
        pylos26posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Religionists, on observation and in general, appear mentally meager; Overflowing sects of them have dedicated and attached themselves to bans of organized corrupted institutions of churches that have captivated and enslaved their minds to follow and obey a doctrine prescribed in its field manual (the bible) that promotes deceit and fabrications of eternal life, but contains little truth and is clearly mythical in nature.

Most conflicts between believers and non-believers stem from believers imposing their beliefs on the sound minded who are conscience of the rhetoric as the senseless religious myth it is.

2. Claire Evans profile image63
        Claire Evansposted 13 years agoin reply to this

When someone's argument is weak, they shout like hell.  The more irrational someone becomes, the less sure they are of their beliefs.

2. SpanStar profile image60
      SpanStarposted 13 years ago

Nonbelievers want nothing more than for believers to prove the existence of God. And God has decided for whatever reason not to be proven not to be to nonbelievers. The reality is no amount of evidence will convince or convert a nonbeliever because the only thing the nonbeliever believes in is their own perception. Their premise for not believing in a supreme being is it can't be proven however we believe frequently in the variables which falls under the same conditions. Whenever people use a credit card they believed the transaction will take place-(often it does-it still however is a belief of that which has not taken place), when someone says they will meet you at a certain location-we believe that will happen, so believing in that which cannot be proven at the time is not some extraordinary phenomenon.

1. Druid Dude profile image60
        Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And, to expound a little further on this thought(good one by the way) That which has no material form is viewed as non-existant, yet, what is gravity? Hawking tells us right out that it is the creator, has no material form and permeates the universe. Further, the spoken word has no material form, yet it has force and power, and without it, we would still be sitting in caves wondering how to produce fire, because it was produced by thought, and a thought can't be held in the hand until it has been MADE physical.

1. SpanStar profile image60
          SpanStarposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You're not so bad yourself Druid Dude...

1. Druid Dude profile image60
            Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The wasichu are running, Kemo Sabe!

2. profile image0
          jomineposted 13 years agoin reply to this

kindly know that thought and word never exist.
          as for evidence what evidence you are talking about?
          the only question is whether you can explain the existence, if not, it doesn't exist.

2. profile image0

spanstar can you explain what you believe and why you believe that?
        and, if possible, why you rejected all other beliefs
        from your argument i know that no mount of evidence will make you believe in Ahura Mazda or even Allah

3. Beelzedad profile image59
        Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Remarkable. While I'm stewing in complete amazement that anyone would still try to compare something as obvious as a credit card transaction to their mythical gods existence, I'm in utter bewilderment that anyone would consider that in all logical instances, the perception a nonbeliever would have in a credit card transaction taking place simply because it has yet to take place, is supposed to be even remotely similar to proving.

3. SpanStar profile image60
      SpanStarposted 13 years ago

Interesting request:

I will make an attempt to crystallize my perception of my religious beliefs.

Believing in a supreme being is a choice and the reality is of all the religions in the world only one is correct. There is no defining proof which cannot be refuted by others but for my particular religious belief I was asked to go on faith by God. Unlike Nostradamus the predictions in the Bible has been counted as the most accurate among all the claims by those who say they are capable of for telling the future. This however is not the sole reason for my belief. The Big Bang theory and whatever human concepts are presented as to the formation of the universe they all still remain theory. We want to pretend as if they are more than that but all they are is just perception of what people believe.

If I am to trust someone, my trust is placed in one who is concerned about me and others from the standpoint of seeing that we live a positive and humane life. I see these things in the teachings of Jesus the Christ and in the words of Judeo-Christian teachings. Honor thy mother and father, pray for those who spitefully used you, do unto others as you would have them do unto you. The richness of what God has to offer is right in front of our face we simply refuse to see it.

For a brief moment in my life I use to be a nonbeliever but something happened one day with all my bravado of dispelling God, a young lady asked me one simple question.
      Her question was "What If I'm Wrong?" I thought about this for a long time and that's when I decided to get serious about God-if I am a believer and I am wrong then I've simply lost some good times in life, if however the believer is right and I am a nonbeliever then my final destination is hell.

1. Beelzedad profile image59
        Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, we can take any particular set of scriptures written throughout the ages and place the exact same rationale right in front of our rose colored glasses, and believe in whatever destination they proclaim one will meet.

But, what if you're wrong?  smile

2. SpanStar profile image60
        SpanStarposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Beelzedad,

No one is twisting a non-believer's arm to believe anything so I wonder why non-believers don't do the SAME?

3. profile image0

dear spanstar
        "I see these things in the teachings of Jesus the Christ and in the words of Judeo-Christian teachings. Honor thy mother and father, pray for those who spitefully used you, do unto others as you would have them do unto you"
        if you had gone through other religious teachings you will find the same things. basically religions differ only in the way by which they treat their god and by exclusivity.even non believers ,why even animals do the same things(except may be the prayer part).
        but of course, as you said, its your choice, one can think or if the fear of death and future and all may be too much, then one can choose to be the proverbial ostrich

4. skyfire profile image78
      skyfireposted 13 years ago

Speaking of excuse here i come.  tongue

5. skyfire profile image78

@Dave, Druid dude, Phonex fire etc etc, That's your view and not hawkins view.

6. skyfire profile image78

ROFL. Bible accurate ? yeah sure.

Bibles claims are poetic and there is no science behind it to call for accuracy.

Bible claims 6k year old earth which is debunked by science - we know earth is much older than that.

Bible mentions no information regarding cosmic or galactic activity outside this planet, shows so-called accuracy. wink

What about 7-day creation ? now stop messing with word salad cause bible myths goes on... for those who preach ignorance.

7. profile image0
      Sophia Angeliqueposted 13 years ago

The Alternative to believing what many religious believe is probably a life of depression, failure, and suicide.

In other words, this isn't about rationality. This is about purpose in life.

It is no coincidence that the more highly educated one is, the less likely one is to be religious. That's because there is a correlation between being educated and having solid employment and the respect of others.

If one is struggling, it is good to believe there is a God that cares.

If one is guilty of terrible things, it is good to know that one is forgiven.

And the list goes on.

In addition, the human brain believes what it hears frequently. Those that do not examine what they hear frequently are inclined to believe it...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)