Why do people like RedGage?

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (55 posts)
  1. simeonvisser profile image67
    simeonvisserposted 13 years ago

Technologically, it is no match for HubPages really. Things don't align properly, the user interface is far from clear and you cannot put an item in a collection by editing it - you have to go to profile > collections > that collection > add item and then click done? Who came up with that? Granted, I'm not running Windows + IE here but they should really make an effort to make it look nice on all platforms...

I joined recently but is it worthwhile to continue contributing to that platform? Have experienced Hubbers seen the benefits of doing so? I'd rather move on to a platform that I like more...

1. thisisoli profile image69
      thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think the main reason people use regage is for easy backlinks.  It has never really developed in to a serious earner for me.

1. simeonvisser profile image67
        simeonvisserposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Alright and what about traffic? I have an URL tracker specifically for traffic from RedGage but I haven't seen anything yet - although I'm just starting out there of course.

I haven't seen much traffic or earnings, I am close to a dollar, usually earn about $0.03 to $0.05 a link I post, not much but I guess it all adds up, but yes the backlinks are the main reason I go there, even if they don't really mean much.

I guess the real key is getting an article 'featured' then you get a bonus, and front page traffic.

2. Richieb799 profile image75
        Richieb799posted 12 years agoin reply to this

How good are the backlinks over there? I used it before but since you can post a link without an article I figured that didn't hold much PR weight

thisisoliposted 12 years agoin reply to this

PR doesn't matter much anymore. The site does not hold a huge amount of value, but if you get a fair number of followers you might get a bit of cash (I get about 3 to 20 cents per link i post there.

1. Richieb799 profile image75
            Richieb799posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm starting to post a lot of articles on my Blogger account because being a Google platform backlinks tend to hold weight from there, would you agree? just moved my 2 Wizzley articles to Blogger lol

1. IzzyM profile image87
              IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Richie I think that is an excellent idea. I started a whole bunch of new blogger blogs recently, and now just 9 of them are out-performing my 475+ hubs.

2. bogerk profile image71
      bogerkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In a little over 2 weeks, I have made about $.15 at RedGage. I can't say I care for the program much at all, but like Thisisoli said, the backlinks are pretty darn easy.

3. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I get a tiny bit of traffic from there, I don't know how strong the back links are though.

4. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Redgage is awesome for folks who can't have an adsense account - and some people do pretty well there.  I've got a huge facebook group that's all about redgage.

Mostly, I just upload my hubs or info barrel, shetoldme, blogger - etc there.

2. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

ive received $75 in contest bonuses plus $20 something in traffic based/feature earnings. I doubt i have spent more then 4-5 hours on the site ever.

But, it seems like the site has been plagued with all sorts of errors for months now and I have near forgotten that it even existed.

It seems obvious that the redgage editors were near blinded by the brilliance of your avatar wink tongue

I used to see a lot of stories from people who were getting cash from the bonuses, never got one myself though so kinda gave up on it, just post those links in now to earn a few cents for my backlinking time!

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81

It's hard for me to forget the people that pay me!  I've found it almost impossible to load pictures there, but every once in a while it gets done.

1. Abbasangel profile image63
        Abbasangelposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Your back in the forums, seen you in Q&A section... Congrats

I found loading photos difficult too.

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81

Thanks, guess my banishment was lifted.  I decided to focus on the q and a, as I'd been told that I was not welcome in the forums.

3. brimancandy profile image78
    brimancandyposted 13 years ago

Redgage has worked pretty good for me. I have actually earned more money there in a short time than I have earned here. I have also received some traffic from there, but not a lot.

I also noticed that you seem pretty popular once you first become a member, and your submissions seem to be earning money fairly quickly, but, it sure dies off quick. I made over $2.00 in my first month, but, I have been there for quite a while now, and I am still under $4.00 and none of my newer submissions are earning anything.

But, I would assume that you need to have hundreds of friends on Redgage to make good money with your submissions. I know of a couple people on redgage who have earned close to $2000.00 in one year, but those people have several hundred friends, so it is basically no different than here, you have to have a ton of connections to earn money.

As for the format of the site, I think it's fine the way it is.
    It's a lot better than Stumbleupon, where you can only look at one thing at a time. I have received very little traffic from there. But, I keep checking on both.

4. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

you have 8 hubs and 31 redgage submissions - you pretty much dont have the experience to make any assumptions.

But the ones you have made are incorrect. Social connections do not equal increased revenue for this model of income generation.

FOCUSED search traffic (repeat 100000000000 times..or until you get it) IS NECESSARY

1. brimancandy profile image78
      brimancandyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I was only commenting on what I have learned from checking out the income levels of various Redgage members, and the ones who have hundreds of friends on redgage are the only ones who seem to be earning decent money.

Of course my assumption is just like any other guess, no matter how many hubs or submissions I have. I don't expect the information I am giving to be 100 percent accurate or correct, but, I think it might be useful to someone, even if it's only a fraction of a percent right.

Just trying to be helpful, and share what I know. Sorry.

2. Thriller profile image60
      Thrillerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just because a person has x number of Hubs doesn't disqualify him from sharing what he knows about HubPages or RedGage. And no of followers contributes big time to comments which translates to more search popularity and "targeted traffic".

5. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

I won the bonus once and they sent me the credit card with $25 on it. Unfortunately I don't know what to do with it - someone once said here that you can't really use it in Europe? Costs and charges are prohibitive or something....

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image75
      Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years ago

For an earnings type of site, crowdsourcing site if you will. I have found it very unwieldy in terms of user interaction, linking for articles or blogs or pictures and have found it very buggy.

Many times I have attempted to do something which I thought would be relatively straight forward, only to spend around 20 minutes of frustration and occasional verbal swearing. Still got nowhere near what I wanted to achieve with a single step let alone the site as a whole.

Like anything else you get out what you put in, but I would rather do other things than get constantly frustrated.

2. thisisoli profile image69
      thisisoliposted 13 years ago

It was difficult to get acquainted with, but once I grasped the basics it was okay.  It is very buggy though.

1. J Sunhawk profile image67
        J Sunhawkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Most definitely buggy. I even wrote a Hub about it. I still don't know how you earn a "bonus" for pictures. I can't find any standards. Well, it was fun to play with. I'm gong to look at it closer as a backlink source.

3. xixi12 profile image69
      xixi12posted 13 years ago

For me redgage is good for backlinking. Dont know how it works but links i put on redgage gets indexed faster that hubpages and sometimes appears on first page while hubpages may be on the 3rd or 4th page of google. Could it be that they have a higher PR? hmm

4. Misha profile image64
      Mishaposted 13 years ago

Never been there...

5. 2uesday profile image66
      2uesdayposted 13 years ago

The way to make money quicker there is to get features or win the daily competition.

However not sure about the payout system, as Izzy says it is by a loaded 'debit' type of card and mine has not arrived yet so I am not sure bout how easy it is to use.

6. divacratus profile image87
      divacratusposted 13 years ago

Redgage doesn't work for me either. I login there maybe once every 2-3 months and post links to some of my hubs/lenses. Doesn't help much, but I do see few people visiting my pages from there.

7. Edweirdo profile image84
      Edweirdoposted 13 years ago

I use RedGage for backlinks, but I have found that it is much more profitable for pictures. I've won the daily contest 3 times, and have had several photos featured over the last nine months or so (including one today).

I have not been very active there lately, but when I give it the time, there is usually a result - and again, I usually post photos from my travels and those are where the feature money comes from.

The contest wins seem to be tied to referrals - you get "points" for referring someone, and winning the daily contest seems to coincide with new sign-ups.

As for the pre-paid debit card, I have never had a problem with it. And if there are fees associated with using it where you live, so what? It's free money, and it's not connected to your back account, so any fees are deducted from your existing balance!

So if all you post there are links, it does no harm, and it *might* earn a trickle of money...

8. simeonvisser profile image67
      simeonvisserposted 13 years ago

Thanks everyone for sharing your opinion on RedGage. I'm thankfully not the only one who finds the site buggy and hard to navigate. I think I'll look into RedGage as a source for backlinks because I don't feel like uploading countless photos through that interface. Making money here on HubPages is more user friendly and fun smile

9. Michael Willis profile image68
      Michael Willisposted 13 years ago

When I am able to login to Redgage I seem to get views from activity there. But that is the problem. I have the hardest time getting the "login" box to even open up.

10. Brie Hoffman profile image59
      Brie Hoffmanposted 13 years ago

I've won two contests, which was nice.  But, the site has a lot of problems that they have been working on...well for forever.  I use it for back links and also to put things on She Told Me because you cannot post directly onto She Told Me.

What do you mean you can't post directly on to she told me?

1. skyfire profile image79
          skyfireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think she's talking about those pending posts which either needs votes or manual boost from owner in order to appear on frontpage.

2. Brie Hoffman profile image59
          Brie Hoffmanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, on She Told Me they won't take direct posts from Hub Pages but they will accept Red Gage.  At least that is the way it used to be.

1. sunforged profile image70
            sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

user error

11. Karanda profile image78
      Karandaposted 13 years ago

Redgage was recommended to me as a site for backlinks but there are so many problems any time I try to post a link or photo it has not been worth my while. Friends follow you easily so it's a great site for networking but as for the rest of it, I'm with Kangaroo Jase or maybe it's an international bug and they don't know what to do with those of us down under.

12. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Redgage had huge problems towards the end of last year where it was almost impossible to post and nothing seemed to work right. But its all fixed now - you should try them again. Good for a backlink or a boost to your hubs.
      I wish the sign in page had a 'remember me' option!

13. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

Speaking of RedGage, has anyone outside of the US gotten a payout with the Visa debit card? I know there are fees attached, is it worth it? I have a $25 card and I do know they charge $2 per use and 3% of the purchase price of the item.

1. 2uesday profile image66
        2uesdayposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The other problem with the card for use in the UK is that they are in dollars and also not chip and pin; which most of our cards are.

I would be interested to read where others in the UK use their RedGage card, as it seems complex to use them here with the charges, the dollar exchange rate and no chip and pin on it.

1. ThomasE profile image69
          ThomasEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hm... well I guess you could use them to buy domain names or hosting.

1. 2uesday profile image66
            2uesdayposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I never thought of that way of using them so this has been a welcome idea, thank you.

14. 2uesday profile image66
      2uesdayposted 13 years ago

Has anyone in the UK used a RedGage card in shops or on-line how did it work out for you?

15. kirstenblog profile image78
      kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

I have around $28 in my redgage, just checked actually, its been ages since I even looked at the site. My worry is down to the fact that with each site like this I create a new contact email address, so that if the site is hacked and the email gets spammed I know where the weak link is and can cancel the email addy and create a new one. I did this with redgage and got spammed within 24 hours. I am just not confident to put my personal details in because of that so have not tried to get my card sent. I need to try to email one of their staff to find out if I can use a method for giving them the info they need that is easy to confirm as secure. If/when I get around to it I would probably use the card for online purchases, in USD's as well just to make life simpler smile

Ohh I could buy some of my own designed stuff with zazzle! cool

16. Beth100 profile image70
      Beth100posted 13 years ago

I haven't been on it for a while due to their loading issues.  However, when I have been on it in the past, the backlinking was worth it.  I have received a continuous flow of traffic from there to HP.  Can't complain as it's a simple way of building backlinks.  AS for photos, yup, everyone there seems to loooove photos!  smile

17. 2besure profile image79
      2besureposted 13 years ago

I personally have made no money on Redgage, but one of my hubs is on the first page of Google, so it is good for backlinks.

18. earner profile image81
      earnerposted 12 years ago

Redgage. Where do I start with my whining.

I've been a member since 2009 and I simply 'don't get it'. 

I find it very very very slow loading.  I have never once managed to 'import' one of my Wordpress blogs (my own domains), no matter how many times I've tried.

I've tried again today.  Three browsers, a few PC reboots.... nothing.  Can't do a darned thing with it at all.

So I was just Googling to find out if other people find that
      a] Redgage doesn't work
      b] They can't import their stuff
      c] It's slow and bizarre/peculiar.

Looks like I'm not alone.  Maybe I should just use it to paste links back to my individual hubs or posts on my websites.

19. Richieb799 profile image75
      Richieb799posted 12 years ago

I'm running out of places to backlink my hubs, especially my performing hubs that are competing for top spots. A
      long time ago I used to start free Wordpress domains with specific keywords in the URL that I know helped my hubs rank so I may start doing that again. I used Backlink checker and saw the backlinks from them.

20. melbel profile image94
      melbelposted 12 years ago

For me, the site is really buggy. Logging in is really weird for me, but perhaps it's because, like you, I do not do the whole IE thing.

I don't it use for a make money venture, but solely for backlinks... that's it! If it were a making money venture than I'd be pretty poor because I've been a member for idk how long and have like $1.

That said, anyone who asks to be my friend on RedGage, I add them because perhaps they would give me view, but I only accept friend requests there on the rare times that I log in there.

21. Redfred Garett profile image40
      Redfred Garettposted 7 years ago

Let me put in simple words, RedGage is a great platform where you get to earn money from the content that you have written. If you wish to be paid for your content, then RedGage is the site where you can upload your work. You will be earning on the basis of the views that your work gets.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
        Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I'm amazed to hear that Redgage still exists.

2. theraggededge profile image98
        theraggededgeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Why have you created an account just to resurrect a five year old thread?

3. PhoenixV profile image63
        PhoenixVposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I dont think they have paid anyone their earnings in several years.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)