If you were a director in Hollywood, what kind would you be?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (15 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 13 years ago

I was just reading a blog online that Kevin Spacey is interested in reprising his role as Lex Luthor again in the new Superman reboot IF WB is even remotely interest.  However, during the blog, I did leave a long comment on there when the comments turned from why or why not spacey should even be considered to...who's a better superman..Brandon Routh or Tom Welling.  Anyways, this is what I said:

In the end, I doubt both Welling and Routh will be picked as Superman, as I’ve heard recently WB is still auditioning other actors. Therefore, that should be a clear sign right there how much confidence they have in either one of them to play superman on the big screen. Routh, I doubt seriously will be back because of the luke warm reception of SR.

I personally don’t think it’s fair because Routh was only playing superman the way Singer wanted him to. You see boys and girls, there’s two types of directors that make movies. a collaborative one, and a Dictator one. a collaborative one allows actors to develop their own interpretations of the character and make it their own. Take Nolan for instance. When he made DK, he allowed Heath Ledger to do as little and as much research on Joker that he wanted. This not only allowed Heath to portray his own version of the joker, it allowed him to own that character as well.

Then we get to Singer, who is a dictator. A dictator director is pretty much everything has to be his/her way or the highway. They never allow the actors to gain their own points of view on the characters they play outside of their own. In fact, Hugh Jackman even admitted this during the filming of X3. He said that when they made the first two x-men films, Singer not only didn’t want any of the cast to read any of the x-men comics, he also highly discouraged it. Saying that he wanted them to portray the characters EXACTLY the way he wanted them to. Therefore, you combine that with the fact that Singer said he based his SR movie off Donner’s superman and the old max fleischer cartoons, and you have your reason why it came out the way it did.

I think for the record if Routh and Spacey had been allowed to do research and portray the characters the way they wanted, then it might’ve ended up improving sr. However, it’s too little too late. Is it fair? No, but that’s life.

Then we get to Tom Welling. Don’t get me wrong, I like Smallville. Great show. Great cast, and interesting use of liberties with the Superman mythos. however, tom welling is a tv actor, and nothing more. trust me, there is a difference. tv actors are severely limited in terms of acting range, and often lack the charisma to carry a film. Tom Welling is such an actor. Take his roles in “Cheaper by the Dozen”, as Steve Martin’s son. Granted, he has a small role, in the films, but he barely stands out. Not only that, but he portrays his character in those movies almost exactly the same way he does Clark in smallville, minus the superpowers. Get my point? The point is he’s a good tv actor, but he’s a horrible movie actor. I’m sure WB knows this too. Hence, you’ll notice they’re auditioning other actors for the role of Superman. Seriously, if Welling had the potential to be a movie actor, then we wouldn’t be having this debate as the role would be his already.

Anyways, having said all that, I would like to know from you folks.  What kind of director would YOU be if you were directing a movie.  A dictator where everything has to be your way or the highway, and none of the actors should even have a say on the characters they play.  OR, would you be a collaborative one that was open to various suggestions from your actors?  Please discuss. big_smile

1. Julie2 profile image61
      Julie2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'd be collaborative. Definitely Science Fiction though. A collaberative director gets more respect from the actors I think. It also makes them want to work with you again.

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, that's true. I'd probably be the same way.  Plus, I think with the current times, colloborative directors seem to work the best anyway.

2. Friendlyword profile image61
    Friendlywordposted 13 years ago

Hi Stevie! You are a very smart, and serious, and a passionate follower of everthing related to the critique of Movies and movie making. Help me understand; or start reserching this question that has been bothering me for years. If producers and directors are now able to make movies like Avatar, and Tron; Why hasn't anyone made THE BAD PLACE (DEAN KOONTZ) into a movie yet? I been waiting for years for the movie industry to get the technology needed to make this a movie! It's just the best book ever written, and the story needs to be on the big screen where it belongs(I'm not sure how it could made tame enough to get a R rating but, the hell with the details!) The time is right!
    I guess you and I will have to do it. I'll be completely collabarative...as long as you do exactly what I say!
    Interested...

1. profile image0

Well seeing as you just said it would have to be toned down to even get a "R" rating, then you pretty much answered your own question.  Believe it or not, most "R" rated movies don't typically make a lot of money in comparison to lower rated films that are "pg-13" and under, as they're more accessible to a larger audience base. 

In fact, the highest grossing "r" film was "passion of the christ" that generated 250 million domestically.  Therefore, seeing as how "Avatar's" CGI method cost almost 300 million to make, then I doubt seriously a company is going to invest into making "the bad place" a movie.  Granted, I haven't read the book, nor heard of it until now, but I do know how the movie industry works.  most movie execs won't take a gamble on something like that unless they know it's a shoe in to make money. 

Granted, you can argue saying that execs had no idea that "Avatar" would be as successful as it was, but there's a lot factors that come into play.  One, it had James Cameron directing.  A guy that previously made the "Titanic", the former highest grossing film of all time.  Therefore, you know he has clout to convince producers and studios to give him the budget he needs.  Plus, it was rated "Pg-13", so Hollywood didn't feel too much pressure giving Cameron the money he needed.  Therefore, unless someone like Quentin Tarantino or Christopher Nolan decides to take up the project, then it'll probably never happen.  sorry. 

As far as me and you working together, I wouldn't mind.  Sure.  Although, I don't know how that would work, as I can be a bit of a control freak at times.  lol.  j/k.

3. KoffeeKlatch Gals profile image76
    KoffeeKlatch Galsposted 13 years ago

If I were a director, I believe I would direct suspense movies.  They are the kind I like to watch.  Not the scream fest ones, but the good old-fashioned ones that really make you think.

1. profile image0

good choice. smile

4. IntimatEvolution profile image68
    IntimatEvolutionposted 13 years ago

I'd be a director of documentary films and programs.

1. profile image0

you know based on your forum posts, that doesn't surprise me.  I think you'd be great at it, as it seems like you have a very open mind to probing the truth.

5. Don Ship profile image73
    Don Shipposted 13 years ago

I'd want to direct a romantic movie. tongue

6. chrissie123 profile image60
    chrissie123posted 13 years ago

If I was a director I would really want to re do the resident evil movies I am such a huge fan I know I could have done a way better job! big_smile

7. Jeff Berndt profile image72
    Jeff Berndtposted 13 years ago

I'd be a terrible director. I'd make a ton of mistakes, and I'd have to do a lot of re-shoots because I'd want to change a bunch of stuff after seeing the dailies...Don't ask me to direct a feature--everyone would hate me after it was finished. smile

8. Kangaroo_Jase profile image73
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years ago

Ok, great stuff guys and dolls, glad you  have all warmed up now...... Right.....ready?.........roll film.............record sound................aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand....ACTION!!!!

9. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

Stevie, I would be interested in animation if I were a director.  I think I would still be collaborative because I want input from the animators and the storytellers and so forth but the vision would still be mine.

10. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

Interesting question. 

I'd choose to be a collaborative director, however, I think I'd want to leave room in my career to be a dictator director just in case a movie came along that I felt would work best with my singular vision rather than a hodge podge effort.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)