How to start a foundation for charity

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (22 posts)
  1. medor profile image63
    medorposted 13 years ago

i am beginning a PTSD Survivor Support Group and will begin receiving funds soon.  so what to do about the money?  How do i set up accounts?  when we get funding and support how do i deal with this?  what if contributors want to deduct their contributions on their taxes?  help me...
    http://s1.hubimg.com/u/4383080_f248.jpg

1. profile image0
      shazwellynposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would have thought you would have thought about this BEFORE receiving funds.  Are you set up as a registered charity?  Surely this is the first port of call.  What about your committee members?  Are you for real???!

1. medor profile image63
        medorposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yes, my fellow hubbers is usually my first port of call because you rock... I have received no funds, I do have committee members... i am for real... thanks... any other advice... please let lme know

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

I hate to tell you this, but I believe you need a tax lawyer. These things are no joke. You want to be sure to meet all requirements for tax exempt status in your jurisdiction. If you improvize and things go wrong, both your foundation and your donors could hurt financially.

1. medor profile image63

thanks... i appreciate your concern... tax lawyer... check.

3. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

Seems that the OP is from Michigan. If the non-profit is located in the US, there is a pretty well-established process for obtaining tax exempt status. Registration is required, incorporation is not. It is relatively easy to obtain, but no one should be under the illusion that the authorities will not audit and may revoke the tax exemption if all criteria are not met.

1. profile image0

The OP is living life deluded if she is asking in a forum about serious issues like charity status etc.  The first port of call has to be a good accountant!

1. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, Ma'am.

1. medor profile image63

anyone know of a good tax accountant that does work to set up charities?

1. profile image0

I am not even going to go down this road of a windup!

1. profile image0

Shazwellyn, are you insinuating something here? If so, what is on your mind?

1. profile image0

WE... the op cant be serious!  She is obviously on a wind up (wind up like winding a clock up... provoking a reaction...), she cant be for real!  She ought to go and do a bit of research before she sets up business (and a charity is like any other business).  It seems she is totally clueless!

1. profile image0

Aha. Thanks for answering.

1. profile image0

Always glad to appease you dear WE x

2. medor profile image63

sometimes being clueless is very good because you are not constrained by boundries... so what is your problem with my sincere desire to ask for other's opinion   and what is an op?

1. profile image0

Shazwellyn can answer for herself, but I would like to add my understanding of what she is saying:

In your original post, you (the OP) conveyed the impression of being in the advanced stages of rasing funds, with money expected to flow in soon. You also conveyed the impression of being part of a group. I believe that for Shazwellyn, who has experience in these matters, it defies logic that you could have gotten to such an advanced stage without even looking into the formalities. In other words, it could seem as if you have led us to believe that what is in fact merely an idea at this stage is indeed a well-advanced project. That is my reading of it.

3. simeonvisser profile image68
                  simeonvisserposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Actually, the longer I look around, the less I am surprised by human ignorance.

2. medor profile image63

does anyone know a good accountant that does work to set up foundations or charities

4. Dame Scribe profile image58
    Dame Scribeposted 13 years ago

A business plan would have all this info in place already and no real need for questions as most if not all the answers would be in the plan as long as proper research has been done. hmm

5. Aficionada profile image80
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

There is a website where you can check out local lawyers and their specialties (but only if they are registered there, I think).  I browsed once when we were looking for someone in another state who could help us with some Elder Law matters, but I forget the name of the site.  WE, do you know the name of the site I am talking about?  It was a lawyer who told me about it initially, but it has been many months ago.  It might be a place for medor to get started.

1. profile image0

That would be FindLaw. A valuable Internet property owned by Thomson Reuters.

2. medor profile image63

thanks so much... findlaw...eah

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)