Naval or Nose Piercing? Which do you think is better?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (26 posts)
  1. sassychic profile image60
    sassychicposted 15 years ago

hey guys Im trying to decide what to pierce whether the naval or the nose, which one do you guys is the best option for me? hmmm. . . .Im interested to hear what you guys think, especially if you have one or the other!

1. Maddie Ruud profile image72
      Maddie Ruudposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I have both.  I love both.  But I got nose first, and if I had to choose one to take out, I'd take out the belly.

sassychicposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Really? that's interesting can I ask why?

2. Ralph Deeds profile image66
      Ralph Deedsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

"Naval piercing" requires torpedos which can be dangerous to one's health. Personally, I recommend avoiding either nose, navel or naval piercing. Stick with Mother Nature. (Ear piercing is okay.)

2. profile image0
    Rainbow Briteposted 15 years ago

Navel only if you have a very good body, else it looks like a trailer hitch. 
    I have spent a good deal of time around piercings and tattoos and I can tell you that both will get in the way and get caught on things frequently.  The nose does not scar, although the navel can but doesn't always.  The nose will be an irritant every time you get sick or have an allergy attack, so if you get these frequently, reconsider.  My favorite quote from a piercing/tattoo parlor..."People that get their noses pierced are more likely to be the kind of person that would enjoy a good line, and isn't bothered by things going up their nose."  It is always there, and even after you get used to it, you can still feel its presence and you are acutely aware of it.  Fair warning - if you get your nose done, they will likely clean out the inside of your nose with a q-tip soaked in alcohol, which is an odd feeling if you have never done it.
    I'm sure that it goes without saying, but just in case, I will say it.  Be sure to go to a quality piercer, who has the appropriate liscensing in your state.  Everything in the shop should be clean and sanitized, and he/she should open all needles, clamps, and basically any equipment that will be going near you or your new hole in front of you, and he/she should wear gloves.

Thank you for that information. I realized that I have to consider my allergies! I have really bad ones! so I might what to reconsider that idea!

2. profile image0
      C. C. Riterposted 15 years agoin reply to this

http://www.clipartof.com/images/thumbnail/1231.gif

Nice graphic! I like it! tongue

3. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 15 years ago

I've been writing about body art online for over six years, and if there's one thing that I've learned from all the email and questions I get, it's that if you have to ask total strangers what you should get pierced, you shouldn't be getting pierced at all.  It means you're doing it for one of the many wrong reasons.

Wait until you have a definite feeling of what you want.  You'll wind up with the piercing that's better for you.  Both shouldn't be done casually or just because you're curious as neither is easy to heal.

1. profile image0
      Rainbow Briteposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Excellent advice, relache, I didn't even think of that.  I have a nasty habit of randomly punching new holes in my body just for the hell of it, I guess it never occurred to me that the after-effects might be something that might bother someone (perfect example - the only piercing I have had that scarred is my eyebrow, and I barely notice it, but people often refer to it in conversation..."hey, did you have your eyebrow done?  What can you tell me about it? etc...).  In any case, sassychic, listen to relache, wait until you get a stronger feeling of what you want.  It's your body, you should know better than anyone else where a new hole belongs or doesn't belong!!!

2. sassychic profile image60

I understand. Thank you. I want to pierce my ears again but I know that Ive wanted my belly button and then came the question about my nose. Thank you both for your advice it has helped a great amount. big_smile wink

3. Whitney05 profile image82
      Whitney05posted 15 years agoin reply to this

I second this!

If you don't know what you want, then don't get anything until you know what you want. Don't ask someone else what you should get. Everyone has their own preferences and opinions, and it is up to you to decide what YOU want.

4. bill komissaroff profile image83
    bill komissaroffposted 15 years ago

From the deep dark sometimes gross mind of a guy:

Belly piercing: HOT!
    Nose piercing: not so hot.

Hah! I knew it! my boyfriend is do guilty! Im gonna get him! just kidding. He had a smirk on his face when I asked him the other day. I knew it! He totally denied that! Anyway Ive come to a descision Im going to pierce my naval since I have bad allergies and I dont think it would be attacktive for a person with bac allergies to have a pierced nose.

Alright so Im going to pierce my naval on either April 22 or In June right after graduation. I dont know when is best yet.

2. Maddie Ruud profile image72
      Maddie Ruudposted 15 years agoin reply to this

My diamond nose-stud is pretty damn schmexy.

This is true that is why I am still having a hard time deciding which one.

2. bill komissaroff profile image83
        bill komissaroffposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I don't doubt that for a second!

5. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 15 years ago

I really don't understand why anyone would want to do either. There seem to be lots of negatives but what is the benefit?

well the nose can be a cultural difference. Im indian and nose piercing is something that is seen as elegance. Plus I think in American culture it is just a nothing to show off. I dont know if there really is a purpose in that case.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
        Rochelle Frankposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Good answer. I can see it as a cultural or traditional practice, but really don't understand why people of other backgrounds do it.

I really dont either but some teenagers do it to rebel or be "quote on quote cool"?

Not sure. the worst is being at a public pool or something and seeing a person that isnt so slim with a piercing. yuck. Or a guy with pierced nipples. yuck! mad

2. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 15 years agoin reply to this

As someone who has over 30 body piercings, I would say to me they are personally symbolic and meaningful.  Some were celebratory, some were for ritual healing purposes, and some I just really like having.  What anyone else thinks of them has been the smallest and least-important part of my decision-making around getting or having piercings.

1. profile image0
        Rainbow Briteposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Ritual healing?  I'd love to hear about that, if you'd care to share.  That's a new one on me.  My piercings were relatively few compared to you.  I had my nose, tongue, and eyebrow done for quite sometime.  I have also had my labret done, but that didn't last long.  I have since taken all the metal (except the two in my ears) out of my body because of work (which I think is ridiculous and it stinks like profiling and discrimination to me).  I miss my piercings, and I hope one day to get them and more back.

In answer to your question, rochelle, each person has his or her own reasoning for the piercing(s) they have gotten.  For me, my reasoning was quite shallow - I think piercings look cool.  You can buy a variety of different jewelry to put through the new hole, thusly adorning basically any body part on which there is enough extra skin to pierce.  My nose was a fierce tribute to my favorite rock n roll superstars, my tongue a sexy and bold gift to my then-husband, my eyebrow was just something I have always wanted, and the same goes for my labret.

thats pretty interesting! cool. my birthday is just around the corner and Im getting ready for the piercing (planning my escape)

6. Mighty Mom profile image79
    Mighty Momposted 15 years ago

I impetuously pierced my navel as a surprise "gift" for my boyfriend. It was sexy and exciting --for about a minute.
    Having a young son at the time showed me how impractical my decision was. When you pick up a child, typicaly they wrap their legs around your back. This puts their squirmy little body right up against your tummy. The slightest adjustment in their weight causes friction on that area. Ooooowwwww!

Don't know what your situation is vis a vis offspring, but if you're considering the navel ring, think beyond today's nice flat belly. If you get pregnant -- and later, when you have a child to schlep around -- it's not the most comfortable.

7. sassychic profile image60
    sassychicposted 15 years ago

thanks guys for your advice!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)