Why is saying "I love you so hard?"

Jump to Last Post 1-40 of 40 discussions (91 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 14 years ago

I always wondered why those little words effected people so much, so i ask my fellow hubbers out there to tell me and try to answer the question, "why is saying i love you so hard?"

1. profile image0
      Scott.Lifeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Because once you say it you can't take it back and you just opened yourself up wide for good or bad.

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 14 years agoin reply to this

good point.  i agree with that.

1. Lyricsnlines profile image61
          Lyricsnlinesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Most of the time it's hard because it isn't love anyway it's lust.  We must understand that LOVE is an action word and NOT a feeling. When we are honest with ourselves we know that we don't love the person, we might be fond of them, care about them, but not love them in the romantic sense of the word.

2. profile image0
        Madame Xposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Bingo smile

3. Stimp profile image61
        Stimpposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This depends on who you are saying it to.  If a boyfriend/girlfriend for whom you are unsure of your feelings....yes, think 'er through.  Kids, family, especially need to hear that.  I grew up not hearing those words and it was very difficult for me to say that UNTIL I married a man who said it consistently to his children...for good or bad.  I can NOW say those words to my parents and accept those words back without wanting to crawl out of my skin.  It is what it is...

2. Pearldiver profile image68
      Pearldiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks but No thanks! Not into beard rash mate! smile
      Hope you don't mind the comments?  They're coming from people who DON'T Have a Problem Expressing themselves!

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I thought I was going to bed...

PD brings up a very good point. some people express themselves much easier than others. some may value saying that much more than others who take it more lightly.

now I'm going to bed.

3. profile image0
      pauls_boatposted 14 years agoin reply to this

becouse to tell some one you love them you have to understand them first also to love some one you have to love all of them not just the good parts and love is for life.

before i tell anyone i love them i have to get to know them fully and then it takes me a long time to accept that i love them with all there faults i loved my wife and even though she left me for some one else and are divorced for 8 years i still love her and want her to be happy.

to many people say i love you when they dont mean it they just think they like some on at the time.

many people say it was love at first site when they mean it was lust at first site and love came later when they got to know and understand each other.

4. profile image0
      Poppa Bluesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh it's not hard to say that at all! It's much, much harder to mean it and to know what it means!

5. Himitsu Shugisha profile image73
      Himitsu Shugishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There have been some really good points written, but in my opinion, love is easy to say if it's true in your heart.

6. the Blue sun profile image61
      the Blue sunposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well I say saying an doing is one thing. But it is hard for anyone to say those affectionate words, Why its so hard? Maybe your not saying it enough try saying it more often, if you don't you just might get face mask. Be ready to get penalize it happens to the best of us.Don't just take my advice believe,  that you can say it take a deep breath especialy if its your wife. So take that under heavy consideration they say practice makes perfected........ the Blue Sun..................

7. sudeep13582 profile image63
      sudeep13582posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think most of the people who wanna say this, dont actually love from heart.. smile
      so they cant get that confidence

8. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Saying "I love you" is hard sometimes because people often think that because I love them I also love everything they do unconditionally, or that I MUST love everything about them in order to love them.

Err...Stevennix, saying "I love you so hard" is.......umm.....a different story.  Your mis-placement of the quotation marks is distracting.  LOL

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh sorry.  I guess I probably should've edited the titled before submitting it.  sorry brenda.  lol.  thanks for answering anyways. tongue

2. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I think Scott said it best smile
    You are nervous and scared...you do the what if game a lot to yourself before you actually say it. what if I say this will he/she say it back? will they be scared of me, hate me? etc etc...takes a lot of courage to say those words to someone you truly care about.

Except for saying it to your family smile

3. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

Why is saying "I love you so hard?"

Because I don't love you!

1. profile image0

lol  thanks.  i don't love you either, so we're even.  lol

4. tony0724 profile image61
    tony0724posted 14 years ago

And also once you declare your love for someone , whether you like it or not there is gonna be some responsibility involved and complete commitment .That Is a tall order !

5. Dale Mazurek profile image64
    Dale Mazurekposted 14 years ago

22 years ago I told a great girl that I love her.  22 years later she is my wife and I have told her the same words over and over on a daily basis.

For me saying I love you to my beautiful wife is the easiest thing because she makes it so easy for me.

1. profile image0

It's always easy when the love of your life loves you back smile

2. mega1 profile image78
      mega1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

It took her 22 years to decide to marry you?

1. sudeep13582 profile image63
        sudeep13582posted 13 years agoin reply to this

lolz

6. wyanjen profile image70
    wyanjenposted 14 years ago

I don't plan on saying those words again ever. Ever.
    I won't let myself be that vulnerable.

1. tony0724 profile image61
      tony0724posted 14 years agoin reply to this

To quote a friend of mine : If you do not take a chance , you don,t have one !

1. profile image0

smile

Not always easy but definitely worth it when you finally meet the right person

2. wyanjen profile image70
        wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is a nice thought smile
        But I'm finished up. Been demolished lol

1. Black Lilly profile image59
          Black Lillyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

1. Never say never wink
          2. It's very good you do not PLAN to say those words again. That might only mean that you WILL say them big_smile
          3. Time heals all wounds, however deep.

2. Cagsil profile image70
          Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No! No! No!

Love is never to be given up.

Those who do give up on love, don't stand a chance against life's cruelness. That connection is a must, if you want experience life to the fullest and honestly say to yourself that you've always given 100% of yourself to search for love.

In the end, you'll find it and probably in the most of unlikely place or time. But, you will find it.

Don't shut people out, because once you do, it's hard to let even friends or family get close, and that's never good.

2. Stimp profile image61

Obviously you can't spew the "I love you" to everyone you meet.  And, regardless of whether one says I love you or not, the vulnerability will always be there in other areas.  I have found that when I REALLY love someone....it's an urge to say it rather than a requirement.  I tell my friends that I love them all the time, no I'm not gay and even if I were....I want them to know that my life would not be the same without them.  And, lets face it when they walk out the door I may never see them again.  I had two near death experiences last year.  Thankfully, I'm here to tell the story.  When they read the story, they cry because they realize how close they came to losing someone they care about.  Just a thought.  I wish you well

3. profile image0
      Ghost32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wyanjen, you're clearly a much quicker student than I am.  Although it took me until my 7th wife (Pam) to hit the Marital Jackpot, I've not found those words hard to say for quite a long time.

But 'twas not always the case.  I well recall getting "burned" a number of times in my dating years (16-21) and refusing to allow myself to "feel" for the girl who eventually became my (first) wife of some 8 years.  Every time we got together in the early goings, I'd "gauge" how far she seemed to fallen for me...and then allow myself to fall "just not quite that far".  I do believe it was quite a long time before I could say those words to her.

7. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 14 years ago

It's not that hard, if it's true.

8. profile image0

yeah, me neither.  it seems like every girl i ever say those words too never returns them back or there's some circumstances that prevents us from being together.  thats why i say i think love is about trial and error.  you have to go through a lot of heartache before you meet the person you belong with.

1. Stimp profile image61

I've learned in emotional matters not to take stuff personally.  If they are incapable of parroting it back....that's not YOUR problem, it's theirs.  People say and do what they need to in order to "self preserve" and usually that has nothing to do with anyone around them.  I hope that makes sense.  Hang in and peace out!!

9. Pearldiver profile image68
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

Goodnight rebakahELLE. Thanks smile

@ Stevennix.... This is a Very Strange Question to Ask; Coming from a guy All Lined Up and Ready to Gallop! lol

1. profile image0

umm...im not sure if i understand what you mean though buddy.  what are you trying to say?

1. Pearldiver profile image68

Have a look at your avatar from our side lol
        You look like you're ready for a commited getaway! hmm

1. profile image0

yeah, your right, i really do need to change that stupid thing sometime.

10. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

if i say that word, I will be totally committed and I will give my all, it is just hard to say when you dont feel it! I said it before once and it hurts like "hell" as they say. I will say that again for the last chance if ever and I hope it will be forever!

Just Pwetend PDH lol

1. prettydarkhorse profile image62
        prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL< cant pretend though!

1. profile image0

lol.  i could make a clever joke about that, but i don't want to offend anyone here.  lol

2. Pearldiver profile image68

Yep.. Close your Eyes.... It's Daniel-Day-Louis yikes

ok, LOL< you are really making me laugh...

maybe he wouldnt smell like an englishman, I will know the smell of HIM! in my dreams

REALLY??? yikes  Sooooooooo... you can pwetend lol

but D Day Lewis is already married cant still pretend

Phoooooey!!! A Minor Inconvenience!! Don't let that get in the way of a raunchy dream lol

11. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

It's not hard, it is hard to be sure you are correct in doing so though! smile

12. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

g'nite everyone and I hope everyone can say those words, everybody deserves somebody to love and somebody who will love them!

13. floating mind profile image68
    floating mindposted 14 years ago

Just know yourself.  Trust your heart, and trust your mind.  You'll know when the time is right.  If you have mixed emotions saying “I Love You” to someone, then maybe it's not the right time or person to say it to!

14. carolina muscle profile image67
    carolina muscleposted 14 years ago

I think this may be because we're not sure exactly what love is... and most of us don't want to say something like that lightly.

15. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

You can take my advice how ever you like. I realize we've recently had words, but regardless, I'd like to help.

Why is saying "I Love You" so hard?

I've truly loved 3 women in my life(I'm 41) and I can honestly say - to be able to love another person, you must love yourself, in all aspects.

There can be a multiple of reasons, for why you have trouble saying it.

Is it fear of commitment?

Or never loved anyone before?

Those are the only two based causes for a person to have a problem with saying "I Love You".

If you have any fear(insecurity) with regards to the relationship, then it plays a factor. A relationship cannot have doubts of any kind, before you can achieve "I Love You" stage. The relationship require 100% trust, honesty and communication. Without it, fear(insecurity) will make hard to commit. That goes for both- man and woman.

If you never loved anyone before, then once your at a reasonably safe comfort zone and just thinking about your partner, twists you in knots(good way) and your partner feels the same- there is connection which will feel natural. Then you'll say it.

Either way, sooner or later, you will say it to someone. Love is for everyone - it's not exclusive to any one individual. Just the feelings they experience are exclusive to them.

16. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I LOVE YOU! not so hard smile

17. profile image0

lol  i guess saying it is easier for some people then.  lol

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol

18. Naomi R. Cox profile image61
    Naomi R. Coxposted 14 years ago

Some of us have been hurt by those words. We give our love so freely to the people we care about, then have it thrown back in our face. A wall will be built around our heart and no one can get through it until the right person comes along, believe me they will come along and you will know it. Then those three little words won't be that hard to say.

19. Dee Dee MonSherie profile image59
    Dee Dee MonSherieposted 14 years ago

For you who have a hard time saying "I Love You" when you have the true feelings for someone, start small, tell your puppy, tell yourself in the mirror every time you do something well. Then write it in a card to someone,  ..not "Luv Ya!"  but "the reason I Love you is..."  Then maybe say it during a phone call...by the time you see your love again, look into their smiling eyes...it will probably bubble out easy as ice cream!

I Love You!

1. profile image0

wow, that is really good advice.

1. Dee Dee MonSherie profile image59
        Dee Dee MonSherieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Steven...got to go now, read acouple hubs then to sleep, have a great night all!:0

1. profile image0

you too.  feel free to drop by anytime.

20. Dame Scribe profile image58
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Practice makes perfect wink

21. profile image0
    B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years ago

its not hard to say at all if you really, truely , mean it..but never say it unless you man it ..then your lookin for trouble...

advice from someoe who knows, I wont go into it, but just trust me on this one dear

1. profile image0

oh okay.  thanks for the tip bc

22. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

If it's hard then you don't need to say I love you lol

1. bukan profile image60
      bukanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Right!! smile

23. H.C Porter profile image80
    H.C Porterposted 14 years ago

Saying I love you can be hard if when you say the words you actually mean them-I say this because, if you mean them and say them, you open yourself up to another persons ridicule and judgments. If you love the wrong person-those three words give them an in to tear you down from the inside out. The people that we love have the ability to hurt us the worst-Perhaps you are afraid of the idea of giving someone this power by saying I love you?

24. Himitsu Shugisha profile image73
    Himitsu Shugishaposted 14 years ago

Love is about letting go. And in order to truly love someone, one must be willing to open themselves up to hurt.

1. tantrum profile image60
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You're an extremist !

what masochist?

1. Anath profile image60
          Anathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

send it to me ;-)

25. myownworld profile image73
    myownworldposted 14 years ago

when you find someone you truly love and connect with, its the most natural thing in the world to say 'I love you' to them....in fact, the harder part is that even those three words fall short!! smile

(...if anything, u seek more words and ways to express your love...just wait till it happens!)

1. the Blue sun profile image61
      the Blue sunposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I qoute you on this, maybe if both is willing to say this more often hey it wouldn't be so hard lets heat it up and say do or die. Its either love are its nothing lets face it this is reality love can be sweet or sour the one who love the most sometimes win at the end.Some of us use love as a maricle cure believe in it because its not here on its own................the Blue Sun..............THANK YOU FOR READING................

26. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

It's never hard for me to say. There are lots of people I love, so I say it all the time!

27. profile image0
    poetlorraineposted 14 years ago

it was something that was never said to me as a child, so i could not say it, still find it hard actually, it's almost like giving a little of yourself away...... it makes me feel vunrable, if anyone says it to me, it warms my heart

28. Kristie91 profile image61
    Kristie91posted 14 years ago

Because you want to be certain that you mean it.
    You don't want to get caught up in loving someone that means nothing to you.
    and often people want the other to say it first so when they say it and open up they don't get crushed.

29. gracenotes profile image90
    gracenotesposted 14 years ago

It's hard for me to say it.  I suspect it's the case with anyone who grew up in a family where it wasn't voiced over and over again.  During marriage, it seemed strange to me, but I learned to say it to my husband.

But just because I came from a family like that, doesn't mean I didn't get plenty of physical affection.  My parents were lavish with that.

Frankly, the physical touch means more, so much more, than just the words "I love you."  If it makes sense at all, I am also an introvert, and introverts do not like redundancies and stating the obvious too much.  Actions speak far louder than words, as far as I am concerned.

30. alexandriaruthk profile image69
    alexandriaruthkposted 14 years ago

because it is hard to really live up to the essence of a true love

31. profile image56
    Arisha Jonesposted 14 years ago

i think the first comment describes it the best..........saying I love you means letting all your defenses and guards down in front of a person whom you yourself has given the complete authority of breaking your heart with just one word" no".
    hey who wants that!!!

32. efeguy profile image39
    efeguyposted 14 years ago

its simple if it comes from the mind.but today all will have are lips love hence it is hard to say

33. tritrain profile image70
    tritrainposted 13 years ago

How do you respond?

I love you harder?

34. damian0000 profile image61
    damian0000posted 13 years ago

Cos men are afraid of the terrible "c" word....

35. schoolgirlforreal profile image78
    schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years ago

It's hard to say sometimes if you think you won't get it back,,,or if you are w/ someone who doesn't say it much....then it kinda takes guts

36. Loveslove profile image60
    Lovesloveposted 13 years ago

Some people find it easy to say those 3 words..but some cant say them for various reasons..maybe they havnt had a loving upbringing or just dont wear their heart on their sleeve,but if someone loves you then the words are not important,a look ,a kiss , a tender touch a surprise gift , would tell you what you want to know without a word being spoken .

37. smelloftruth profile image61
    smelloftruthposted 13 years ago

It's just the way we brought up in the family. If "I love you" is frequently said in your home then chances are you have no problem telling that to your love one.

38. Loveslove profile image60
    Lovesloveposted 13 years ago

Precisley...I grew up with those words all the time..my dad never left the house without saying them to my mum.

39. evashkurti profile image60
    evashkurtiposted 13 years ago

Its hard because we expect the same thing back. It is human nature to have that mutual feeling, when you love someone you're afraid to tell them, because we fear rejection and we feel like we just put ourselves out there. It is very challenging to control your thoughts and feelings. In my opinion to give love and not to expect anything back is great and such a wonderful feeling. Don't be afraid to let someone that you love them, or care about them! Only the foolish will laugh or look down on you!

40. R3dcougar profile image61
    R3dcougarposted 13 years ago

Why would you want to say "I LOVE YOU SO HARD" to someone??

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)