Music Appreciation

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)
  1. Rafini profile image83
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

This semester I decided to take Music Appreciation - I enjoy most types of music and would like to learn more...mostly, how to appreciate Classical Music and (hopefully) how to recognize different composer's works.  Anyway....

OMG!!  The requirements for this class are out of this world!  I'll be required to attend 2 concerts and write papers for each one, 500 words each, but the instructor admits to being 'nit-picky' and practically promises a grade of 0 on the first draft with several revisions being required in order to pass!  I feel like the it's going to be more of a class to learn Music Critique than simple appreciation.  (I don't mind, but didn't realize it when signing up for the class)

The requirements for the papers are pages & pages & pages long!  lol  It sure will be interesting to see how everything will fit into 500 words...like...composer, conductor, soloist, titles of songs (not necessarily all of them), singers, band members/instrumentalists, type of music, style of music, audience reaction (if unusual), and describe the music played! 

Has anyone else taken a Music Appreciation class - and have some advice?  lol

1. KristenGrace profile image60
      KristenGraceposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hello,

Yup, I took a Music Appreciation class VERY similar to what you have described here, right down to the having to write two papers about concerts.

My best advice would just be to take a lot of notes on what your instructor emphasizes and then search for those points in the concert you're attending.  You'll know on your own, and by your own standards, if you are receiving what you want from the class... buuuut

In order to receive a decent grade, you'll kind of have to conform to the teacher's standards for writing a paper.

Best of luck - Have fun smile  Seriously!

Kristen

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

actually Music Appreciation was one of my favorite classes in college. If you like different kinds of music, it will help you learn how to really listen to all that's going on in a song.  I also enjoyed learning about different composers.

for one of your concerts, I suggest an opera. Are you allowed to choose what you see? It might help to read some concert/opera reviews to help you in the writing process.

good luck and enjoy!

Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

an opera, really?  wow...lol...one of the only forms of music I know I don't like.  the other is rap, lol.  I'll have to check and see if any opera's will be in town this semester - the instructor posted a list of free concerts & places to check for mainstream concerts.

one concert has to be classical, the other can be choice - preferably something we aren't familiar with.  did I mention the class is online?  the instructor posted examples of what NOT to write and he seems to have a pretty good sense of humor - he repeats the same silly lines like three times! 

I think I'll enjoy the class as I've always enjoyed music - and I believe I'll be okay as long as I don't have to learn to read music.  lol

1. spookyfox profile image59
        spookyfoxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Get to know it. Theatre combined with music, what's not to like? Most people tend to have a sort of predjudice against opera (I did myself when I was younger) because to us in this time, with movies and tv all it has sort of a silly vibe to it.

I would never ever EVER group opera with rap though. Did you know Wagner made an opera called the Ring Cycle which takes about 15 hours to perform (usually divided in 4 nights). When he first wrote the script, he wrote it with one intention in mind. Later he discovered the works of the sort of pessimist philosopher Schopenhauer, and he became obssesed with it, but the spirit of the script he wrote didn't match that pessimist philosophy very well. So what he did, was portray all this things in the music, as if it was telling you what was going on inside the characters' hearts, even when it was the opposite of what they're doing in the play.

it's always possible I could enjoy opera.  I've only been exposed to it through TV & movies, and that's not near enough  lol

3. rebekahELLE profile image85

one more thought, you can always ask the instructor for a sample writing that you can read to get a better idea of what he expects.

4. rebekahELLE profile image85

that's the best reason to use this class to introduce you to music you may think you don't like. many don't like opera because they've never seen one performed well or don't understand what it is about as most are in another language. They always come with a program which describes each scene.
    it is opera season, so take a look at the list he provided; there may be one you can see. Keep us posted!

you're right - I'll take a look.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)