Yikes! Adense spike!

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (21 posts)
  1. nell79 profile image79
    nell79posted 13 years ago

I went to check my adsense account today, not for the first time, and in just a few hours I had 4 clicks. You'd think I'd be jumping for joy, but I'm worried. For me, this is highly unusual. I've had two in a day at most before this. I'm wondering if someone is clicking them on purpose?

I emailed adsense support to notify them about it, in the hopes that I don't lose my account over "suspicious activity." What do you think will be the outcome here?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Worry when you get 800 clicks in one day. That happened to me in early December and it freaked me out. I emailed Adsense just to let them know it was unusual.

nell79posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think I'd have fainted if that happened to me! lol 800? What happened with that?

2. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow, UW! Did you hear back from Google?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
          Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nope, and the money is still there. I even emailed hubpages and they said it looked like legit traffic and clicking. It was on my cartoon character hub around the time everyone on facebook was looking for a cartoon character to add to their profile. I was just lucky to have the top rank on Google at that time for cartoon characters from the 50s and 60s smile

2. Flightkeeper profile image65
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

Ummm, nell, the name of the game is to have clicks, now that you're getting some, you're worried that it's a trick?  Come on! Just be glad tongue

I'm trying to be optimistic about this, but my traffic is still pretty low to have that high of a conversion rate. I just don't want to lose my adsense account for life sad

3. nell79 profile image79

And of course, I totally missed the first "s" in my heading here! I do know how to spell, I promise lol

4. KCC Big Country profile image83
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

Just 3 days ago you were freaking out over a similar issue. See forum thread: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/64159

So, can we expect a new thread everytime you get more than 2 visits to your hubs or adsense clicks?

Honestly, you worry way too much.

Not quite the same issue and I wasn't freaking out at all. Just was sharing my traffic results and wasn't upset at all. I was feeling social and started a conversation. I'm known to do that from time-to-time. wink

Anyway, I'm not concerned over my traffic here, but over someone "kissing" my ads either in some misguided attempt to help me out, or to try to get me to lose my account. I may be paranoid when it comes to this, but I know it does happen and when my traffic for the day is around 20 and my clicks are 4, you can't tell me that isn't a high conversion rate. I've had days where I had over 400 impressions and no clicks, so this is highly unusual to happen--and on a slow day, no less.

I'm sorry if you're bothered by my posts. If it's that annoying, you can chose to ignore me big_smile No hard feelings either way smile smile smile

1. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi, Nell. I know how you feel! When I first began to get unusually high click rates, I panicked a little, too. Now, I just enjoy it!

5. Fiction Teller profile image61
    Fiction Tellerposted 13 years ago

Hi Nell79,

That's probably not what most folks consider "suspicious activity."  Was it all on one hub? Did you track where they came from in Google Analytics?  That can reveal clues.  Was it a return visitor or a new visitor?  What were the keywords used to find the hub?  Etc.

Even if it was all on the same hub, sometimes people DO click on multiple ads in one hub - they might even scroll through the ads to find ones of interest.  I'm guessing that Google won't find anything suspicious about it - they most likely use statistical markers and known associated accounts to figure out what's what.

Thanks for your response. I haven't yet figured out how to track my hubs on google anylytics. It's tied to the same account I use for my website, and I've only been able to look up the info for that.

I'll have to try harder to see if I can figure out how to use it.

6. kmackey32 profile image65
    kmackey32posted 13 years ago

I have had a higher number of clicks today too....Its been slow since Christmas...

7. nell79 profile image79

I'll just try to relax and hope it's a result of my hard work finally paying off smile

Thanks for taking the time to reassure me guys. It's been a hard few days and I'm just trying to focus my energies on something less emotionally draining--that'd be hubpages! haha

8. Pandoras Box profile image59
    Pandoras Boxposted 13 years ago

It could be the winter storm. I find traffic, clicks and sales increase on holidays and such. A lot of people home from work with nothing much else to do.

And sometimes you just luck out and get a clicker. I let Adsense worry about it, they won't punish you for it if it's not from your IP or such. They have ways of detecting click-fraud and figuring whether or not it's intentional.

OK, it's official. I'm paranoid! lol

9. RedElf profile image88
    RedElfposted 13 years ago

big_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smile

10. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

whenever I check adsense, I make sure it's set on Today. there have been times when I have checked and forgot that the last time I checked it was set on month to date earnings!

on the plus side, expect to see your clicks increase!

11. profile image0
    TopUniverseposted 13 years ago

No need to worry or fear on your part as long as the the traffic is genuine.

12. Time4Travel profile image61
    Time4Travelposted 13 years ago

Don't worry about it. Google will be able to tell that it's not from you with their highly advanced tracking system... at least I think they do! I have never tested this theory nor do I want to.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)