What is the best way to learn a language?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (37 posts)
  1. PierrePierre profile image61
    PierrePierreposted 13 years ago

What is the best way to learn a language?

1. Sekharg profile image60
      Sekhargposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The best to learn a new language is to put yourself in the middle of the people who speak that language.

You will grasp it very quickly and start speaking in record time.

1. richtwf profile image61
        richtwfposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely agree! And would add to that ... complete immersion in the language by being in the country of the language that you wish to learn.

2. profile image52
        Dennis Jrposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Unless you have the time and resources to pull yourself away from your life, I would have to say use Rosetta stone, I've heard good things about it and would be the best way for a busy person, who can't "walk away," from obligations, work, etc. to immerse themselves in a culture.

2. profile image0
      Charlinexposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It depends if you have the access to the native speaking environment. If not, then you can repeatedly play movies and songs of that language in addition to the textbooks.

3. Elefanza profile image67
      Elefanzaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Full immersion is the best way. However, be prepared for the mental strain that comes because you will miss your language at times and it will take time. It doesn't happen as automatically as everyone assumes. I studied abroad in Spain for three months and while I picked up the accent, I didn't start to have more success picking up the language until I left.

Listening to movies and shows in the other language is good. Just listening to that language as much as you can, actually, will help you with hearing and understanding the language.

As for picking up the writing and vocabulary, you could consider trying to blog and write fan fiction in that language. There's a German guy who tells the funniest fan fics in English as his way of learning. Also, reading books and even comic books in that language helps. As for vocab, a friend of mine dedicated herself to learning 10 new words every week as a means of learning English.

4. Katzky profile image61
      Katzkyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Constant practice... or the simplest way.. USE IT..

5. Stories Inc. profile image65
      Stories Inc.posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Cartoons with subtitles. A lot of them. You need to be surrounded by the new language constantly, preferably keeping actually 'studying' it with all the negative connotations attached to that to a minimum. I think. It always helps me...

6. LeslieAdrienne profile image69
      LeslieAdrienneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Total immersion....if you are in a position where it is a survival language, you will learn it much more easiliy than if you are in a casual mode.

Otherwise, Rosetta Stone is really good.

7. profile image54
      shakeeebposted 13 years agoin reply to this
  2. JayDeck profile image58
    JayDeckposted 13 years ago

Sekharg is right. Full immersion is the best way. However, if you want to keep the language after you've left the place it is spoken, you will have to supplement with books, classes, or regular use among native speakers available to you.

1. thirdmillenium profile image60
      thirdmilleniumposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, this is best
      If it can not be done, shun grammar while learning.

You may want to  have a look at this hubber's ranting at :

http://hubpages.com/hub/Never-Learn-Gra … rn-English

1. LeslieAdrienne profile image69

I agree...grammar will come....

3. Georgie98 profile image60
    Georgie98posted 13 years ago

The best way to learn is from childhood. If you're learning as an adult then I agree, immersion into the native speaking crowd will be easiest.

4. richtwf profile image61
    richtwfposted 13 years ago

Agree with all the above - full immersion. Also spend some time with youngsters, you'll pick up the language very quickly when you're amongst them. Finally if you're single then having a foreign girlfriend or boyfriend will also motivate you and help you to speed up your learning of a foreign language too!

1. Pcunix profile image89
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Having a foreign boyfriend or girlfriend could speed up the end of your current relationship too smile

I recently had a chance to try out Rosetta Stone.  It's expensive stuff, but it's as close as you can get to total immersion without actually being immersed. I and others have written hubs about it; the OP  might want to do a search here and read the pros and cons.

My daughter has also used RS several times. She shares my opinion, which is that it can get you started and bring you to the point where, with a lot of hand gestures and pointing, you might be able to have some basic communication with a native speaker. Fluency would require much more.

5. LaMamaLoli profile image60
    LaMamaLoliposted 13 years ago

Listening to the radio or watching a tv channel - if possible- is helpful too. I do that to keep my spanish fluent as although I am bilingual, you lose a LOT of vocabulary when you don't use the language regularly. It also keeps you up to date with the "slang" words.

6. miss_jkim profile image75
    miss_jkimposted 13 years ago

By far total enculturation is the best. I took 3-years of French in high school and retained very little.

I lived in Germany for 10-years and became nearly fluent.

7. monsterfreek profile image59
    monsterfreekposted 13 years ago

heyy what up im new here

8. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

"Rosetta Stone" is interactive, it is nice.

9. Lady_E profile image61
    Lady_Eposted 13 years ago

If you can afford to - spend sometime living in the Country of the spoken language you are studying.

10. Cheeky Girl profile image65
    Cheeky Girlposted 13 years ago

Buy books our get library books in the language. Language Cds work for me to an extent. If I write a thing down, I remember it. And definitely knowing someone who already speaks the language is a boon, as you will immerse in it more, and can converse more.

Also check out language learning on the web. It is another great way to learn. You could even try Google Translate if you feel really brave! smile

11. tritrain profile image70
    tritrainposted 13 years ago

Immerse yourself and completely stop talking and thinking in your previous language.

12. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

When you have a necessity - like you have to work and earn money to survive, - you can learn it pretty fast. Immersement and necessity - key factors. You have to see it, hear it, respond to it, depend on it.  And not afraid of it.

13. PR_am profile image61
    PR_amposted 13 years ago

The best way to learn a language is to be around native speakers and of course speak it. Start with learning simple vocabulary of the foreign language, then speak speak speak without minding grammar errors at first, then improve.

Best of luck!

14. Beth100 profile image70
    Beth100posted 13 years ago

complete immersion without any use of your mother tongue; interactive activities such as writing, reading, listening to music/radio/tv, watching tv/news/movies/people; live the way the culture lives

15. Sue Bond profile image67
    Sue Bondposted 13 years ago

Many big cities in the US, Canada and Europe are multi-cultural so you could probably find a community of people who speak the language you want to learn locally.  You may also find international students who speak the language you want to learn at local colleges and universities.

16. megs78 profile image60
    megs78posted 13 years ago

for sure full immersion is important, but its even more important to not have a choice but to learn that particular language.  sometimes we can sabotage ourselves if we don't absolutely have to speak the language (if we have a friend with us, for example).  I recommend marrying someone from that language and then have them move you into their hometown, with all their family and friends and VOILA, you will be bilingual in NO TIME!  Well, thats how it happened to me anyway smile

17. Maria Cecilia profile image81
    Maria Ceciliaposted 13 years ago

I wish to learn Korean Language but looks like it won't be that easy, maybe enrolling myself in a school that teaches the language can help but  staying in a place that spoke the language of your choice can make you apply what you learned from school.

1. LeslieAdrienne profile image69

Check online for paid volunteer work in Korea....you may be able to spend a few weeks there.

1. Maria Cecilia profile image81
        Maria Ceciliaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

thanks Leslieadrianne, but I can't leave my country for now....love ones can't live without me (LoL)

18. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

I agree with everything everybody said here bout how to learn a foreign language - basically immersing yourself in the culture helps. I live in Spain with a Spanish partner and only have Spanish TV and radio.
    But what I have found that helped me tremendously was watching a DVD with the sound and subtitles in the two languages. A US or English film is best, because the other language when dubbed on had to slow down their speech to match the mouth movements of the actor speaking.
    So I listened in Spanish with the subtitles in English.
    The first one I remember was a fantasy film when this woman with her arms outstretched said "Dame el nino (ninyo)" while the subtites said "Give me the child". You get the words and the pronunciation and also where those words would be used. You also pick up all the swear words lol

19. sannyasinman profile image60
    sannyasinmanposted 13 years ago

The best and quickest way is Total Immersion - where everyone speaks your target language and (ideally) no-one speaks any of the languages you already know. 

Also, unless you learn the language as a child, you will NEVER speak/understand everything like a native speaker (jokes, slang, double meanings, etc).

20. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
    DzyMsLizzyposted 13 years ago

As many have already pointed out, immersion is the best.  That said, the younger you are, the easier it is; the older you are, the harder.  It is not without effort, and if you have no opportunity to practive, it is difficult to maintain.

Because of family heritage, I studied French in high school, and again later in college.  However, my father had forgotten most of his childhood French, and only one of my aunts still spoke fluently and could even read novels in French--probably because in addition to it being her first language, she was abroad in the Army Signal Corps during WWII, in France as a telephone exchange operator. In later years, however, she and my dad never spoke to each other in the language.

For myself, growing up in California, no one outside my dad and my aunt spoke French, and Spanish would have been a more useful language to learn.  So consider your need and where you will expect to use the language before you undertake the effort of learning--remember, it's "use it or lose it."

21. theirishobserver. profile image61
    theirishobserver.posted 13 years ago

You can only truely learn a language when you live among the people who speak that language smile

22. smelloftruth profile image61
    smelloftruthposted 13 years ago

An expensive solution is to hire an online tutor and learn the language from him/her.

23. perfectperception profile image60
    perfectperceptionposted 13 years ago

There are numerous sites that offer free spanish lesson and they will help you along.  If spanish is your thing, one that comes to mind is Aaron Lossness on youtube.com.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)