Honest Opinion

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)
  1. Jpineiro profile image60
    Jpineiroposted 13 years ago

Good Morning, I'm new at Hubpages and so far I like the layout and the tools the website offers. I have written 4 hubs on disaster management topics and I'm looking for an honest opinion. English is not my first language so I am always looking for ways to improve my grammar and the way I express myself. I was recommended by a hubber to have my hubs reviewed through this forum so I am looking forward to the criticism. Thanks in advance

2. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

I read "Leaders and Crisis Management" and I was very impressed! I did not notice any real language problems at all.  There were a very few bits of punctuation that might be changed and one sentence I noticed that left out the word "be."  It was difficult to believe that English is not your first language!  Your English writing is better than that of many people I know who have spoken English all their lives.

In terms of "hubbing": we are always encouraged to use pictures and other additions that help to maintain the readers' interest and to sell the message through numerous channels.  If your Hubs are commercial (that is, if you have signed up with Google Adsense and/or Amazon in order to make money), you need to be sure that any pictures you add are permitted for commercial use.

You could also use some videos.  A lot of people here link to YouTube videos, and there are so many available there that I believe you could find some that would relate to your topics.

The writing was clear and very professional, and that is probably appropriate for the audience of readers you are hoping to attract.  For me, as a layman, it tended to be somewhat dry, and I would enjoy reading a few real-life examples of situations where the points you made were not observed (or even where they were).  If you want to reach a wider audience, that is something you might consider adding or incorporating.  The examples would not have to be long, elaborate descriptions.  Just a sentence or two would do, if you decide to add anything.

Jpineiroposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your kind comments and recommendations. I will take them into consideration for my next hub.

1. Aficionada profile image79
        Aficionadaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are welcome.  What works well on one type of Hub may not be quite right for another type. 

Remember also that you can always edit a Hub that has already been published.  You can polish, add, revise, remove, etc. In fact, some Hubbers will periodically revise a published Hub in some way so that it adds new content and recaptures the attention of Google.

I will review my hubs and make the necessary adjustments based on your recommendations. I do not know much about SEO techniques so is there anything that you think I can change in the article to increase its visibility?

3. Jpineiro profile image60
    Jpineiroposted 13 years ago

I really appreciate any other comments and recommendations from the Hub community. Thanks a lot for taking the time to read my hubs and critique them.

4. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

Even though I've been here for 10 months, there's a great deal that I don't know about SEO.  I hope others will see this thread and add their knowledge.

What I do know relates more to getting the word out about your articles.  If you are on Facebook, you can "share" your Hubs there; but be careful not to overdo it over time, because you don't want to spam or even just to irritate your FB followers in this way.

You can go to some of the Answer sites (such as Yahoo! answers, for example) and answer questions related to your topics.  Along with the answer, there is a place where you can post a link to your Hub.  Again, just be careful not to do that too often.  (With four Hubs, that should not be a problem, but over the course of time it could be.)

On any sites that relate to Crisis Management and the like (or even business sites related to Leadership) you can join discussion boards or forums and mention your articles, adding links where that is permitted.

If you do add videos from YouTube, your link provides you with a backlink that helps to get you noticed by Google (if I understand this correctly, that is).

There are many ways to backlink, and what I have mentioned is really just the tip of the iceberg - but these are methods that I know and am comfortable with.  Many others here on HP write for several different sites, or they have their own blogs and sites, and they add links to their Hubs in these other locations.

Do some searching in the HP Learning Center and/or run a search in the search box for backlinking, SEO, and traffic, and you should get all kinds of other information.

After your articles have received some traffic from outside of HP, you will be able to see the search terms that were used to access them.  Those terms will give you some guidance about what it is that people are looking for by way of information, and that knowledge can help you tweak current Hubs or write new ones.

Thank you very much for your recommendations.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)