Received $100 free ad Words

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (35 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 13 years ago

Hi,

I've received a $100 gift card from Google adwords. So if one signs up, does anyone know if one hsa to provide them with a credit card number so that if forgets about it, it goes on to debit one's account...

Thanks.

1. profile image0
      ssaulposted 13 years agoin reply to this

no idea i hope someone else can help you! smile

2. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

I believe that you do need a debit or credit card, yes, at least you need to use one to start using your account. In order to own an AdWords account you need to pay a small one off fee, which I believe is $5, to be debited from your initial credit. I am not sure whether this would be deducted from your $100 free code or whether you will need to invest $10 of your own money.

Either way, it is well worth it. Be careful how you use it though, you aren't intending to use it for Hubpages are you? Because that could get your AdSense account banned.

1. profile image0
      Sophia Angeliqueposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh. They sent it to me for Hub Pages. I don't have any other websites at the moment. So, I guess I can't use it then.

How strange.

Why would HP ban one?

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
        paradigmsearchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. profile image0
          ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Are you saying that you can direct AdWords traffic to Hubpages?

I would be very wary of doing so, most webmasters that I know would construct landing pages for this purpose.

2. profile image0

It is a Google rule, not a Hubpages one.

You can't pay to send traffic to a page which displays AdSense units, its called arbitrage.

You can use it to send traffic to landing pages on your own sites (pages which do not have AdSense ads on them), or sites which do not use PPC advertising income such as AdSense at all.

1. profile image0

That doesn't make sense. There are billions of pages on the internet. And they're all filled with google ads.

Everybody is using ads to send traffic to their own websites. And why would google send someone who was using Adsense freebies if they weren't intending one to use them?

Where does it say this on Google?

1. profile image0

It does make sense, Google AdSense is not as prevalant as you may think, there are only $15bn per annum in AdSense revenues to fight over, the internet is worth $1 trillion in trade each year in the UK alone.

https://adwords.google.com/support/aw/b … swer=66238

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/A … &hl=en

I would be happy to provide a few more if you wish, that is just a quick search for the word 'Arbitrage' on the Google help pages.

1. profile image0

Thanks. That was very useful. wink

2. profile image0

A site which uses AdSense can send AdWords traffic to its site, but on a landing page, which has to meet the landing page requirements outlined in the first link that I gave you.

Hubpages, as an example, uses AdSense. Here is a Hubpages Landing Page http://hubpages.com/help/landing_e2

Note that there are no ads on that page. There are also no ads on the Hubpages home page, which could also be used as a landing page.

1. profile image0

Okay, thanks.

I'm still getting used to terminolosgy over here. I assume a landing page is the first page someone lands on when one gets to a particular domain?

2. Rosie2010 profile image67
      Rosie2010posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you.  Your helpful advice helped me clarify about those adword ads appearing on my hubs.  I was actually going to check it out today.

3. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I think it's sent to anyone with a google adsense account.
    you have to have an adwords account to use it for separate sites. HP already pays for advertising here.

at least this is my understanding.

4. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

If it doesn't get you banned, it will at very least get you smartpriced. Google don't like it, thats all that needs to be said.

1. profile image0

Look, I wouldn't particularly know how to use it, and I certainly don't think that a measly $100 will send any traffic of any significance to any site.

I'm asking because I find it extremely strange. I'm going to email them and ask them what they want me to do with it. smile

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
        Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's not strange, Sophia.  You have an Adsense account.  Google has an automated system that sends these offers to Adsense account holders.  The automated system can't check to see what sites you're using your Adsense account on.  That's it.

1. profile image0

That was exactly my point... smile

5. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

The way I see this, HubPages is not suited for creating landing pages - this is even against the rules concerning "overly promotional." Therefore, Google will presume that the reason of using AdWords for HubPages is to purchase low-cost clicks in the hope of generating higher-value clicks. That is why AdWords isn't suited for HubPages.

1. profile image0

Ah, that makes sense...

1. sunforged profile image71
        sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

it may make sense, but it wont make you cents on adsense smile

as stated, thats a presumption, one I would disagree with on both counts.

It would be smarter to use your own completely controlled site as a landing page - but it would not be against either of the TOS to do otherwise.

Using paid traffic (even with a voucher) to a revshare site is unwise only because your cutting 40% off the top before you even start.. thats a hard margin to make up.

oh cool, 5k posts, I think ill retire now also and go live virtually on an industry centered forum instead.

http://www.drlepke.com.au/images/Wave-goodbye.gif

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-use-an-adwords-voucher

You know, every one of your questions was answered in the link I provided you, including alternate ways to make the $5 deposit - that same link is also a first page return for a couple likely searches.

Whats funny , is that you are throwing away $100 , which is probably more than you will make on adsense in the next 3 months. learn, read, experiment ..or dont..note.. Adwords has daily budget settings

1. profile image0
          Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Congrats!

2. profile image0

Sunforged, I'm a complete idiot of this. I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

I do know that I won't sign up for anything that is supposedly free but wants my debit card (don't use credit cards) details.

In any event, I don't have another site, so I'll just chuck it! I was going to chuck it anyway because I normally tend to chuck freebies (there's always a hook attached somewhere). However, someone suggested I use it. obviously, I can't. smile

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
            Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've always taken the same view, which means I ignored the voucher when I got the email - I really wish I hadn't now, as I never got another one, and I now have my own websites so I could have used it!

6. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

because many writers on HP and similar sites have businesses or separate sites where they will pay for sponsored links or ad placement.

1. profile image0

Ah, I see smile Thanks for clearing that bit up.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sophia, I had the same question when I first received mine. I'm sure many do. My son uses them for the business he works for and explained how they work. They can be used very successfully and are everyday.

this hub isn't specifically on the subject, but explains the difference between sponsored links(which cost advertisers $) and organic links. http://hubpages.com/hub/What-is-a-Sponsored-Link

1. profile image0

Rebekah, thanks. I did know those things. i didn't know the terminology but I've been on the web since December 1994. I was working for a publishing house at the time (they had an entire stable of magazines) and they were on the net.

It's more that I don't have knowledge of making money on the net. That's what I'm trying to learn... smile And it's a big job!!!!

2. IzzyM profile image86
          IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So what are basically doing when you use the google adwords coupon is buying a position, briefly, at the top of the SERPS?

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
            rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

as far as the coupon, I'm sure SF and others can explain it better, but for someone on HP and only HP, it would serve no purpose.

Adwords is expensive for businesses because they have so much to consider, what markets they want to reach, what locations, for how long, etc. For example, BP bought all the key words that were bringing in searches for the Gulf Oil Spill, so their links could rank at the top.

1. profile image0

I wondered why my Hubs on that subject did so well!

I earnt over $100 in a few weeks from 4 hubs about Oil or that particular Oil spill, and then felt bad for capitalising on a catastrophe... so I donated that first $100 to Greenpeace. Think they still earn me a little bit, sporadically, but it would be too awkward for me to tot up a dollar here and there indefinitely, so I suppose I have still inadvertedly profited. At least my intentions were good, hey hmm

I can remember at the time being surprised by the value of the clicks on one particular Hubpage, but that makes sense now.

2. profile image0

Thats not strictly how it works, you can choose to target search specifically, in which case your ads will show in the AdSense ads above or besides search results. Effectively you are just purchasing AdSense ads, just like the ones which show on Hubpages. There isn't an ability to purchase a SERPS ranking from Google, which is why it is so well respected and is also why everyday people like us can make money. Although, of course, you can still 'buy' your way to the top of Google in other ways; backlink packages etc.

1. IzzyM profile image86
              IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's interesting, thanks Ryan.

Nice to see you back, by the way!

7. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

how to use adwords voucher

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-use-an-adwords-voucher

can you use adwords to direct traffic to a site with adsense?

absolutely

those who use arbitrage follow a certain layout and model, a hubpage by its nature will not fall under that model.ryan is correct that intentional arbitrage is frowned upon. but using adwords and adsense together is not arbitrage.

legitimate content sites that use adwords to gain traffic and also have adsense are very common.

read, the adsense/adwords tos and blogs. keep in mind - two google services, double the possible scrutiny.

8. eclecticeducation profile image59
    eclecticeducationposted 13 years ago

Wow!  Thanks for all of the information.  I have received those cards too.  I have never used one before and I am glad that I haven't, too many rules! lol!!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)