Update on My Life (& Qld Floods)

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (13 posts)
  1. WryLilt profile image90
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

This may be a bit of a long post so I'll try and keep it as straight to the point as possible.

Thank you to everyone who has contacted me asking if my family is ok. As some of you know, I live in Toowoomba where the flash flood swept through. Despite the scary footage, only the immediate area downtown and surrounding the main creek were flooded - about 75-80% of the homes only got water in their garages or backyards.
    Myself and everyone I know is fine, as far as I can ascertain, although I do have a few friends in Brisbane who I'm hoping are staying safe.

Currently we have been cut off from other towns so people are panic buying fuel and food, and the supermarket shelves are empty. However early reports indicate that at least 14 trucks may be making their way through.

And why I haven't been on HP much? On Monday when the floods hit, I started a facebook group just because I saw so many updates from friends and photos, and wanted to try and get them all in one place. Within an hour it had five members and as of this morning it has 35,000 likes.

I've added some friends to help and between us we've been updating regularly about the floods and deleting spam.

We've also been contacted by some media outlets about our group. So at least I feel like I'm achieving something (with a baby and stuck in town it's hard to get out and achieve something and have nothing spare to donate atm.)

So hopefully that puts everyone's minds at rest. -Susannah

EDIT: Brisbane has had the power shut off to at least 100,000 people as of yesterday morning. This is due to flooding of power supply outlets (whatever those things are called?). So if you're worried about someone in Brisbane, they may not have power to get online.

1. Druid Dude profile image61
      Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Didn't realize you were in the thick of it. Been there myself. After nearly forty years, the High water mark is still painted on a local industries HQ in remembrance. Corning Glass, in upstate NY. Helped clean up. Sorry to hear, but glad your family and you are safe. Good Luck.

2. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

we got to the airport before the bridge closed & are safely in NZ for a week.  Our house is ok but we couldn't get pets to kennels but someone is caring for them until water drops enough to take them in. 
      My work flooded, so might be out of work for a bit

2. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Thank you for updating your hubber friends. It helps to get an insider's perspective and to know the reality (at least for most) is not as horrific as shown on the media (this has been the case with other extreme weather situations as well).

Good for you for doing something so constructive! Not to be mercenary (cuz I'm really NOT), but it's too bad there's no Adsense attached to Facebook, eh?

Anyway, glad to hear you and family are safe and sound.
    MM

3. profile image0
    cookingdivaposted 13 years ago

WL,

I am so glad you and family are okay! Thank you for update, hope things go back to normal soon.

4. WryLilt profile image90
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

Thanks guys. MM - I have several hubpages up on the site, giving relevant details anyway, more because there are SO many people posting links/phone numbers, that no one can keep track.

Other updates: The next major issue is water. A lot of the towns are close to running out.

Oh and I don't have my new computer yet, still using old crappy one. Of course my Uncle is now cut off so can't bring up my new one.

5. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 13 years ago

Of course I knew you were an Aussie but I hadn't noticed you were in Toowoomba. 

Here in Sydney, we're watching the TV pictures in horror.  I'm so glad you weren't in the danger zon but I can imagine you'll have a lot of challenges to face.  Good luck and our thoughts are with you.

6. fayx24 profile image60
    fayx24posted 13 years ago

The footage that we keep seeing is quite scary. It seems odd seeing Australia so wet during summer, when it's been extremely dry for as long as I can remember. After all the drought, now floods...
    Great that you're able to maintain contact. All the best and keep safe!

7. freecampingaussie profile image61
    freecampingaussieposted 13 years ago

Good to hear you are ok. My daughter was evacuated from work in Brisbane . Fortunatly she had moved from the City to Camp Hill & is ok.
    My sister & family live in Warwick.

8. sofs profile image76
    sofsposted 13 years ago

Good to hear that all you good people are safe... be safe and wish you good luck!

9. Mikeydoes profile image43
    Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

I just saw this thread now. I was starting to wonder where you went! Thanks for the update, I truly hope you and everyone else involved the best! You should feel bad for us too though, it sucks not having you around! smile

Good luck!!

1. WryLilt profile image90
      WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol!

10. sagebrush_mama profile image60
    sagebrush_mamaposted 13 years ago

So glad you're safe!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)