The "right" way to make a comment on a hub

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (23 posts)
  1. brandonhart100 profile image76
    brandonhart100posted 13 years ago

Although I don't believe anyone is obligated to comment in a certain way on someone's hub, in general, I try to make a comment that mentions some of their keywords. 

For example, if their hub was entitled "Fishing in Alaska" and I knew that this was their keyword, then I might say:

I enjoyed your hub on "Fishing in Alaska" I can't imagine how you survived those long and bitterly cold nights. 

From what I understand, having comments is a good thing in the eyes of google, but is a comment that includes one of your keywords a better comment than one that doesn't?  I've just assumed so far that this is the case and acted accordingly.

If that is the case, then is there a "right" way to make a comment on someone's hub? 

Thoughts?

1. Shinkicker profile image53
      Shinkickerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Cheers Brandon

I didn't know that leaving a keyword in the comment helped the Google search. I'll remember to do that in future.

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

To be honest, this issue does not interest me personally. However, your understanding of keywords in comments appears to be correct.

3. RedElf profile image91
    RedElfposted 13 years ago

You're right about the keywords, and that is always appreciated by the author. sounds like you already know how to leave a relevant value-adding comment as well, from your example.

The only thing I would add is please avoid slapping in a link to one of your hubs. You are already getting a link via your user name, and if you would like to exchange links or ask that author to check out a hub you have written, that is fine - just contact them and ask - but the comment section of someone else's hub is no place for your links smile

4. wilderness profile image93
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

I do try to leave a comment that will help the hub out, mostly by using the keywords (if I can discern them - some don't seem to have any)

I also agree with RedElf - don't put a link in the comment field.

5. Mikeydoes profile image44
    Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

Was unaware of this, that is very cool. Thanks for the info.

6. profile image0
    TopUniverseposted 13 years ago

Thanks for your guide on how to make a comment in right way.

7. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I think that's fine if that's what someone wants to say. I have definitely seen it where the hub author responding to the comments mentions keywords to the point of overkill. It doesn't sound genuine. 

But a simple comment as the OP mentions is fine.

1. Pandoras Box profile image61
      Pandoras Boxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Commentators do it, too. Annoys the heck out of me, cause they make it so very obvious that it looks rather planned. What brandonhart says is true. Adding keywords or keyword phrases in your comments increases the keyword count for the whole page.

But if you're gonna do it, make sure it sounds natural and makes sense.

8. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

I suppose nobody should knock awareness of keywords in comments, or trying to make a comment that will boost the Hub in some way; but I pretty much prefer genuine comments (or none at at all), without anyone worrying about their own wording.  Search engines or not, my "definition" of a comment that "adds something" is related to the substance of what the commenter posts.

Whether or not a writer prefers to/objects to focusing on keywords during writing is that writer's business/prerogative.  To me, though, there's a point where - if only in the comments - can "everybody" forget the keywords and just have sincere, natural, genuine, discussion/remarks...    hmm   

I don't know...   I guess my thinking is that articles/Hubs are generally (not always) structured for search engines.  It just seems kind of nice (and right) to me to let the comments section be where some some "genuine" commenting (and even discussion) takes place.  I guess I see the comments as a "more personal extra" to any article/Hub.  (I know I'm not about to start worrying about keywords in my comments on other peoples Hubs.  I don't even worry about them in my own Hubs a good part of time.  lol  )

9. simeonvisser profile image68
    simeonvisserposted 13 years ago

When I comment I don't make an effort to include particular keywords. What matters is that the comment is genuine and that the author of the hub appreciates that you have commented.

10. L.L. Woodard profile image68
    L.L. Woodardposted 13 years ago

I don't think it is incorrect to include key words in a hub comment nor is it incorrect not to do so. It's up to the discretion of the person making the comment. Ideally, IMHO, it would be great to participate in some back and forth discussion between commenters and writers--at least where the hub topic warrants it.

1. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'd agree that it's not incorrect.  (Far from it, I think.)  It's thoughtful and sensible and the way things are generally done with a lot of stuff on the Internet.  It's just that I've seen some of those more natural, back-and-forth, discussion that can happen; and it looks, to me, like they can "boost" a Hub in their own way.

11. profile image56
    FStevensposted 13 years ago

I have to admit, it actually hadn't occurred to me to include keywords in my comments but in future it probably is worth doing and a very considerate way to comment.  I think, however, that there are many people out there who have little knowledge of keywords and are commenting as they have something valuable to contribute.  We certainly shouldn't hold it against these people if they don't include keywords.  A good point though and one I hadn't considered!

1. lyndre profile image60
      lyndreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am glad to hear you are considering the idea,as you have been here for 30 minutes and haven,t commented on any hubs lol

12. Mikeydoes profile image44
    Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

A lot of my comments seem like the people didn't even bother to read my hub. Seems like a lot of people are doing it because they want comments back, or want followers.

1. lyndre profile image60
      lyndreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yep you are spot on something at hubpages will never change.lol

2. Pandoras Box profile image61
      Pandoras Boxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes! I had someone once comment on a hub and use the keywords and all that -I know she was trying to be helpful- but she didn't even read the hub. The hub was a review of one item. Her comment said "Nice selection of..."

There was no selection. I lawled, rolled my eyes, and hit Delete.

13. brandonhart100 profile image76
    brandonhart100posted 13 years ago

While I do think it's important to be genuine in your comments, if you really enjoyed an article and want to give the hub a boost, then why not help the hub out by thinking of how you would naturally incorporate the author's keywords into your comments?

This does take some extra thinking, but personally I believe it's worth the effort.

14. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

As long as they don't post a link or say something mundane and pointless such as "good hub" or "thanks" I don't care.

Links in my comments are a no-no though, even those ones which are not in the body of the text and are inserted into the username instead. It is a page leak which doesn't benefit me at all.

1. brandonhart100 profile image76
      brandonhart100posted 13 years agoin reply to this

@Ryan I agree.  Generally I delete comments that either list a link in their comments or put one in their name.  As RedElf mentioned, this is one thing that people need to avoid (although I've never had a problem with another hubber doing this).

As far as other comments, in my opinion any comment is a good comment, but again if they want to cleverly incorporate my keywords, then it's an even better comment smile.

15. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 13 years ago

I did once have a search that was against a term that someone put in a comment, rather than in the text of my hub.  I know this because I am at the stage where I can check and inspect every keyword used. I hope to leave this stage one day.

16. Peter Hoggan profile image67
    Peter Hogganposted 13 years ago

Whether a comment contains keywords or not is immaterial, what matters is whether the comment was useful and relevant to you and other readers, same goes for links. That said, spammers should aways be dealt with quickly.

As far as comments are concerned, I think search engines are more likely to be influenced by the frequency and recency of relevant comments AND LINKS.

Edit: Comments do not need to include exact match keyphrases to be deemed relevant by search engines.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)