Set a minimum word count for hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (40 posts)
  1. saleheensblog profile image60
    saleheensblogposted 13 years ago

If the minimum words for a hub is set 200 HP will get rid of a thousands of sub-standard contents automatically. No hub should be allowed to publish until it has at least 200 words. If possible 300 words. Poems can be the only exception.

1. lorlie6 profile image73
      lorlie6posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree that it's rare to find a writer who can say something profound with only a few words.

1. Abbasangel profile image65
        Abbasangelposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Poets do... some poetry is really cool and its not that many words (granted alot of themdo exeed 200 words just...)

2. rwelton profile image61
      rweltonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree.  I just ran across two obvious posts that was just a link to someone's website.  No article at all.  Each of them can be flagged, but an improved standard would be appreciated.
      rlw

3. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There's already a filter that checks for a minimum word count, because people post about tripping it fairly regularly and not being able to publish due to not enough content.

BTW, how do you propose that poetry and other content be differentiated by an automatic filter?

1. lrohner profile image69
        lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My thoughts exactly. I would even take it one step further -- why should there be a different standard?

2. darkside profile image63
        darksideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It would be good if they filtered all the current content just to be sure, and not just unpublish but delete hubs which have been sub-standard.

hubpages.com/hub/archery (and many others that I've discovered while looking up available hub names for content) has been up for a long time.

1. xixi12 profile image68
          xixi12posted 13 years agoin reply to this

just checked the archery hub, its so funny because the writer also commented on the hub 'he' wrote and used the comment as a link to his proper site. The extents people go to for backlinks. lol

3. saleheensblog profile image60
        saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

make much sense. So, my suggestion would be 200 words at least for anything. The current filter lets hubs of only a couple of sentences [less than 50 words] be published that is nothing worth.

4. Haunty profile image74
        Hauntyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would make it so that the minimum word count restriction doesn't apply to hubs under the poetry categories.

Or there could be a checkbox, which when checked warns of the artistic features of a hub.

4. Glemoh101 profile image54
      Glemoh101posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Its better to make it 500 words , 200 words still little!

2. xixi12 profile image68
    xixi12posted 13 years ago

I absolutely agree, i have done some hub hopping and found just some personal pictures that you click to go to other websites and so I had to flag them. I think HP should be done such that if it does not hit 200 words it cant be published. Just my thoughts

3. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 13 years ago

I think it's a good idea but maybe long words can count double?  And maybe clever words get three points?

So a sentence like..

I was quaking with fear

..would be worth 7 points because quaking is long and quite a clever word.

1. John Holden profile image61
      John Holdenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

But would quacking with fear rate extra points for being clever and unusual description or minus points for being a mis-spelling?

1. Pcunix profile image89
        Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'd give it extra points, because it does remind me of that sometimes heard question "I thought I heard a duck?" when someone does something slightly impolite involving the release of gases..

So, "quacking with fear" actually coud make sense?

But, yeah, over all I agree: leave the poetry alone (or ditch it entirely for all I care) but put even a 400 word minimum on hubs.

2. Mark Ewbie profile image82
        Mark Ewbieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Quacking with fear is excellent.  That's worth a Hub on its own.

Plus maybe an armageddon scenario involving an Earthquack maybe. 

Seriously, I agree with the too short thing.

But for recipes and poems its a bit more tricky.

1. profile image0
          EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't think so - you can easily write at least 200 words' worth of blurb to go with your list of ingredients (in fact, it's necessary otherwise people won't know what to do with those ingredients!)

As for poetry, it wouldn't kill people to write a short intro about the poem - how they came to write it, what it's about, why they've given it the title it's got.  They could use the intro to try and work in some decent keywords if they were bothered about that kind of thing.  Sorted.

1. saleheensblog profile image60
            saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

agreed

2. Pcunix profile image89

Yes - and that would make the poetry a lot mote interesting for those of us who are not naturally attuned to such efforts.

3. simeonvisser profile image70
            simeonvisserposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure. In a way I agree but I don't think artists or poets will agree. They want their work of art to be enjoyed without needing further explanation. Anything that they say might influence your experience of it and they don't want that.

HP could fix that by allowing adding a capsule that hides its content until the reader clicks to see it. That's dead simple HTML CSS, by the way.

The poet could add this normally unseen content and invite people to expand it when they have experienced the raw poem by itself.

2. Pcunix profile image89

Feel free to take the concept with my compliments smile

4. saleheensblog profile image60
    saleheensblogposted 13 years ago

give your suggestions to improve HP here http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/63131

5. profile image0
    TopUniverseposted 13 years ago

It is a good idea and saves lot of time for the staff and importantly it stops those short hubs which primarily aiming for outbound link juice to their domains.

There's a thought, too: disallow outbound links in anything under X characters.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That could be the easiest and most fair solution.  I doubt that people writing short, substandard hubs that are NOT looking for outbound links are doing it intentionally - they may view HP as a blog site, but if so will soon discover their error as no one will follow and scores will not rise.

6. Moonmaiden profile image68
    Moonmaidenposted 13 years ago

Quantity does not equal quality...just sayin'.

7. Moonmaiden profile image68
    Moonmaidenposted 13 years ago

I love archery. I read that archery Hub.  What the heck? All it says it 'this is your archery hub.'  Sure isn't my archery hub buddy.  What a waste of a great title.

8. Midnight Oil profile image84
    Midnight Oilposted 13 years ago

I cannot even get warmed up in 200 to 300 words wink

Sounds a good idea to set a minimum word count.  Perhaps there should be a separate page / login just to load poetry up on to the site too.

9. melbel profile image94
    melbelposted 13 years ago

I don't write poetry so I'm not sure about this, but do poems go in like a poetry category? If so, maybe that category could be exempt from the 200 word rule.

I agree with the rule, though. There have been so many HubPages urls I could use because there is already a hub about it. When this warning shows up, I usually go to the hub to see if my hub will be better than there's (I mean, why write a hub if Princessa said the same thing that I'm going to say, but she's said it a million times better than I ever could?!) Sadly, many of the hubs that have used these prime real estate urls contain few words and are ranked like 47 or something... obviously NOT written by Princessa. tongue

10. sam24354 profile image60
    sam24354posted 13 years ago

What is really sad is when a hub with no words at all gets a high hubscore.  Or when a hub is obviously poorly written and receives a high score

11. profile image0
    Toby Hansenposted 13 years ago

Yes, a minimum word count would clean up HP amd get rid of a lot of spam.
    But...
    As a writer of flash or micro fiction (50 - 800ish) words, I would want each -200 word Hub manually checked by The Team to ensure that those who write legit material in under 200 words would not be disadvantaged.

12. jobister profile image61
    jobisterposted 13 years ago

I think the settings that are currently in place are plenty. There will always be spammers trying to outsmart the system regardless. It is our community what we can do is flag the hubs that we find to be not reflective of our community. I'm sure hubpages appreciates all the hubs we've flagged.

13. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

I don't write poetry, so I have no vested interest here. But I do have an interest in HubPages. Here's my take...

HP is in business to make money. They do that by ensuring that we write articles designed to bring search engine traffic that will (hopefully) click on ads or purchase products. Hence the minimum word count.

I don't know this firsthand, but from what I've read in the forums, poetry brings more internal traffic and does not make money. So I'm really not sure why HP should go out of their way to make accommodations for poetry that's different than from other types of writing.

Just my two cents, for whatever it's worth.

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It keeps the inmates happy, contented and productive? big_smile

While I'm not a poetry fan, the same could be said of the forums; while some (makeover for instance) are teaching tools, others (religion) certainly aren't, but are provided anyway.  They help keep the inmates happy, contented and productive.

Unless we are willing to assume that poets and poetry readers do nothing else but write and read poetry, that they never produce monetarily valuable hubs, then they are of value and need to be kept happy, contented and productive.

Or perhaps I'm just disillusioned with the business world.

1. lrohner profile image69
        lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol

Good point!

14. Sue Adams profile image96
    Sue Adamsposted 13 years ago

I think the minimum number of words for a hub should be even more than 200 words. 500/600 words would be better and perhaps there should also be a top limit, like no more trhan 2000 words. And I think that HubPages staff should do a major cleansing job and delete all the crap rubbish on this site or it'll damage HubPages reputation and hurt us all. If I was in charge I wouldn't allow stuff like the archery hub to exist. That's just plain piss taking.
    Just my opinion smile

Ayup.

So why is it there?  Certainly that qualifies as "low quality" and certainly SOMEBODY must have flagged it as such.

15. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

While I think that it is important to keep substandard hubs out, I have seen some beautiful poetry hubs, and fantastic photographic hubs, many of which had less than 200 words.

It might be interesting to see what the backlash would be if Hubpages started removing large numbers of substandard hubs, considering how much of the backlash there was for the disabling of ads on hubs which 'gray-area' broke the Google Adsense TOS.

16. Howard S. profile image90
    Howard S.posted 13 years ago

Disclaimers: 1) I am one of the newest hubbers--unpublished--but reading for 5 months, and 2) as a professional publicity writer, cutting words to be concise is my craft--an unpopular goal for SEO on HP.

My personal minimum will be 300, but it is entirely possible to say something of value in fewer words with careful editing.

Yes, what about an upper limit? There's a hub of 21,000+ and no other capsules from a hubber with huscore 1. The sad thing is that it isn't as verbose as many repetitive hubs in the 2,000 range; it could easily be divided into 20-30 hubs with a capstone.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)