Vampire Movies That Don't Suck

Jump to Last Post 1-29 of 29 discussions (51 posts)
  1. theageofcake profile image59
    theageofcakeposted 14 years ago

In this modern age in which many are exposed solely to Twilight's bastardization of a vampire, I think we could benefit in exploring some of the movies that made the genre interesting way back when (and even today).

So what are some of the great vampire movies of all time?

1. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My favorites:

30 Days of Night
      The Lost Boys
      From Dusk 'Til Dawn
      Bram Stoker's Dracula
      Interview with a Vampire

1. Dave Harris profile image68
        Dave Harrisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think that is a very good five PrettyPanther, The Lost Boys is probably my favourite , but I also like Christopher Lee as the original Dracula.

2. tobey100 profile image61
      tobey100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have no response whatsoever.  I just love the name of this forum.  Vampires that don't suck.  Priceless

1. wychic profile image85
        wychicposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed that tongue. It does its job though, got me to look big_smile

3. Christopher Floyd profile image61
      Christopher Floydposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Bram Stoker's Dracula with Gary Oldman.  I'm a purist.

4. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this
    5. profile image0
      just_curiousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No one mentioned Underworld.  I thought that one was great.  Is there something wrong with me?

6. profile image52
      sweeneygirlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Definately Interview with the Vampire as number one! I don't think it can be knocked off its perch.

What is it about the movie that is sooo good though people? Does it give Anne Rice justice?

I think so. Whats not to love?

2. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

Interview with a Vampire still is number one with me.  Too hot for words.  big_smile

3. Arthur Fontes profile image74
    Arthur Fontesposted 14 years ago

From Dusk 'Til Dawn

1. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol
      Good soundtrack!! Tito and the Trantualas!!

4. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago
      theageofcakeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oddly enough, my initial exposure to the Count Orlok character was through a children's television series called 'Are You Afraid of the Dark?' If you grew up in the 90's, you probably know what I am talking about.  Anyway, the image of the character stuck with me forever - its such an icon for cinematic terror.  I'm glad it hasn't been forgotten.

1. profile image0

AH, hahahahah...sorry, but I think I was nearly grown by the 90's. My sis used to watch it, I missed alot, but do know of it. Did you watch AAAAAA real monsters?
        My initial exposure to Orlock, was insomnia, and late night PBS

5. MixtapeChick profile image60
    MixtapeChickposted 14 years ago

Haha, I feel like I was just writing about this...

1. Nosferatu
    2. Martin
    3. From Dusk Till Dawn
    4. The Lost Boys
    5. 30 Days of Night
    6. Let the Right One In
    7. Queen of the Damned

Yee.

1. profile image0

#1..see? like I said
      #7..Oh yeah!! forgot about that one!! Right..yes..good call.  smile

6. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

My favorite is The Lost Boys! smile

1. livewithrichard profile image72
      livewithrichardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That was my favorite too but I also liked Fright Night and Innocent Blood.

1. Dave Harris profile image68
        Dave Harrisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Mine too!

7. profile image0
    Denno66posted 14 years ago

Salem's Lot. big_smile

8. chrissie123 profile image60
    chrissie123posted 14 years ago

Queen of the damned and interview with the vampire!

9. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Vampire High big_smile

10. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 14 years ago

Underworld the whole series

11. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 14 years ago

Buffy the vampire slayer.

1. profile image0
      lynnechandlerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I really could never take that seriously to get into it. Interestingly enough I know plenty of people who did.

1. profile image0
        Onusonusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I was just kidding.

12. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 14 years ago

I'm realy a twilight fan.........*snicker*

1. profile image0
      lynnechandlerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol Oh don't want to even go there.

I'm more on the historical gothic end of this spectrum. I'd really like to create a great dark story.

13. torimari profile image68
    torimariposted 14 years ago

Interview with the Vampire is my number one...that's how I perceive my vampires. x) I also like Nosferatu and Bramstoker's Dracula.

14. jellydonut25 profile image61
    jellydonut25posted 14 years ago

Let the Right One In
    The Lost Boys
    Nosferatu (one of like TWO silent films I've ever enjoyed)
    From Dusk Till Dawn

^^^Those are all my FAVORITES

30 Days of Night was ok, not great
    Underworld was ok, not great
    John Carpenter's Vampires was VERY GOOD, not GREAT...

One that hasn't been mentioned (although I haven't seen it I heard it was AMAZING) is Thirst. it's a korean film from 2009...I have the DVD at home, just havent had 2 and a half hours to watch it...

Jelly, Thank you for mentioning Thirst.  The buzz surrounding t is well deserved - its almost definitely in my top 10 of 2009 (and it makes Let The Right One In, which I really liked, look incredibly tame).  You will almost definitely appreciate it.

15. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Next to Buffy is also, *Angel* smile

16. Daniel Carter profile image63
    Daniel Carterposted 14 years ago

Daybreakers is a waste. BLECH!
    Could have been quite good but just way too much gore and senseless weirdness.

So, no, Daybreakers is not an all-time good recommendation.

1. jellydonut25 profile image61
      jellydonut25posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've heard good things...

2. theageofcake profile image59

"Gore" and "senseless weirdness" actually sounds quite intriguing to me.  Still I'm not sure whether or not I want to pay the price of admission to see this.  Reviews are generally pretty mixed, which doesn't make the decision any easier.  What did you think of the story, Daniel?

17. wychic profile image85
    wychicposted 14 years ago

Bram Stoker's Dracula...of course, it has sentimental value too

I also have to second (fourth? Fifth?) The Lost Boys

18. mrcoopr2010 profile image60
    mrcoopr2010posted 14 years ago

Once Bitten, remember that flick people?

19. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Lost Boys absolutely! I also liked Fright Night.

20. thirdmillenium profile image62
    thirdmilleniumposted 14 years ago

Did you get to see the original Warner  bros/7 Arts production "Dracula"  released in the 50s. Christopher Lee made your blood curl and you would not have slept with lights off that night! It is amazing how they made a movie like that in those primitive years!

21. ume blossom profile image59
    ume blossomposted 14 years ago

the underworld series;
    Interview with the vampire;
    Bram Stoker's Dracula;

and I wish there was a movie made on "The tale of the body thief"

22. Mike Lickteig profile image75
    Mike Lickteigposted 14 years ago

House of Dark Shadows--based on the '60s television show.

Also liked From Dusk Till Dawn and Lost Boys...

23. Johnnie Black profile image62
    Johnnie Blackposted 13 years ago

The best ever Vampire film is Dracula: Dead and Loving it!

R.I.P. Leslie Nielsen sad

24. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years ago

Dracula 2000.

Lost Boys - Ye Olde Awesome Moviecus Vampirist big_smile

25. Sarah Masson profile image60
    Sarah Massonposted 13 years ago

Interview with the vampire is AMAZINGGG!!

1. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What Sarah said!

26. TomC35 profile image59
    TomC35posted 13 years ago

I agree with others who say "From Dusk Til Dawn" and "Lost Boys."  I personally thought "Fright Night" was overrated, but know many who love it.

I am surprised no one has mentioned "Near Dark."  I recommend it if you have not seen it.  It is not the greatest vampire film of all time, but a very good film.

1. Piper_Lynch profile image60
      Piper_Lynchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

ha ha ha... vampire movies that don't suck! Classic.

From Dusk Til Dawn
      Lost Boys
      Once Bitten
      ... All excellent.

But,
      Fright Night was the first vampire movie that came to mind, though.  It's not as great now as it was when I first saw it (at least a million times back in the day), but as far as vampire movies go, it's a classic.

27. Broken Poet profile image60
    Broken Poetposted 13 years ago

i like cirqu du frak
    interview with a vampire
    van helsing
    30 days of night
    the lost boys

anything that brings out the vicious side of vampires. modern vampires are too careful and too beautiful.... what happened to the angry side oof them?

28. brimancandy profile image77
    brimancandyposted 13 years ago

I would agree that interview with a vampire was a good movie. I also liked Bram stokers Dracula. But, interview with a vampire was better, and told the story of a vampires almost never ending life.
    I was actually kind of sad when the little girl turned to dust. But, was not at all sad about what happened to the vampire played by Tom Cruise. (His best acting in a movie ever) Brad Pitt too.

It's Funny, I just finished watching Dracula dead and Loving it. It's not the best movie, but it still makes me laugh. The scenes with Renfield were the best part of the movie. Especially the scene where he is eating the bugs while trying to prove to Harvey Korman that he is sane. Or, when Leslie Neilson jumps out the window with Mina, and he calls after him!

Master! Master!...I mean uh...Mister! Mister!

Funny stuff!

29. OldSkoolFool profile image60
    OldSkoolFoolposted 13 years ago

What about Blood: The Last Vampire?

Both the Anime and Live Action were good!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)