Were you happy with your last furniture purchase?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Les Holland profile image60
    Les Hollandposted 13 years ago

Just curious, what was the last piece of furniture you bought? Where did you buy it? Were you happy with it? What do you wish was different if anything? How was your sales experience?

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I can't remember that last time I bought furniture. Right now I have too much and need to get rid of some.
      Are you trying to sell furniture?

2. vox vocis profile image81
      vox vocisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, I do not know whether it is exactly furniture, but we purchased a beuatiful sixteenth-century Italian replica old world globe bar (and for 200 euros!!! It is cheaper in America), and when we recieved it, some small bolts were missing. So, one part is not bolted well now. Can you believe it!? And, for that price!!!

3. britneydavidson profile image60
      britneydavidsonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Last i bought bathroom furniture from victorian plumbing and delivery is really fast. I am happy with sales service.

2. frogdropping profile image76
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

Can't answer you about a furniture purchase as the last thing I bought brand new was hundreds of dollars worth of carpet in December. My furniture I try and buy from flea markets (or whatever the US equivalent is) as I love old, lived in wooden stuff that's way above what I'm willing to pay.

In point of fact I'm sat at a solid wood desk - made the old fashioned way. In a word it's awesome and it was bought second hand. So - I'm happy with it, it's perfect for me. The sales experience? Was a few years ago now but I don't remember much about it smile

1. Les Holland profile image60
      Les Hollandposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, I'm not selling any. I've made plenty of furniture and I know people who have made a career out of their passion for making it.  My questions is simply to find out who has had success in finding furniture they are happy with rather than settling.  I think buying second hand furniture is a great way to get quality pieces without shelling out a ton of money.

3. ViTaMiNaDD profile image57
    ViTaMiNaDDposted 13 years ago

I always make my own furniture. I have a wood shop connected to my garage so I often find myself tinkering away for hours. My wife loves the pieces that come out of that shop!

1. joyfuldesigns profile image69
      joyfuldesignsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I was happy with it.  It was a few years ago and I bought a leather couch/loveseat set.  It's been a great investment and held up well.

4. dablufox profile image56
    dablufoxposted 13 years ago

Yes I was extremely happy with my last furniture purchase as I bought some designer label sofa from a lady that was going through a messy divorce and really just wanted the lowest possible price to infuriate her soon to be ex-husband.

One persons trash is another persons treasure I suppose!

5. werebear profile image61
    werebearposted 13 years ago

The last piece of furniture i purchased was a reclaimed oak tv cabinet.
    Reclaimed oak seems to be the in thing in the UK at the moment.
    Its mostly made in Vietnam but some cleaner copies are now being made in China.

6. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Yes.

I purchased my living room set and my bedroom set within the same month.

That was 19 years ago. wink

7. yenajeon profile image71
    yenajeonposted 13 years ago

I bought an amazing suede and leather couch 3 months ago. I am extremely unhappy with it because my kitty has scratched it to pieces! Eek!

8. profile image0
    Neville Walkposted 13 years ago

I bought a Victorian cupboard, which is heavily carved in dark oak.  Although this type of furniture is very unpopular at the moment, I love it.  I saw a similar piece of furniture at an antique shop, which was priced at £800.00, but I won a bid on ebay and bought it for £67.00.  Every week I polish the carving and still love it, two years after buying it.

9. DIY Backlinks profile image58
    DIY Backlinksposted 13 years ago

Actually I was well pleased with a new dining room set my wife picked out. I later found a couple of nicks on the bottom of it but overall I was pleased.

10. writinginalaska profile image80
    writinginalaskaposted 13 years ago

NO!! i bought a sofa sectional made by BROYHILL, paid top dollar for it too ($1,200) and after just 18 months it has tears next to many of the seams and the back cushions which are filled with loose batting rather than high density foam, have collapsed.  I complained to the furniture store where i bought it and they are going to recover all the cushions with another fabric of my choice.  That will not address the batting problem though.  I will NEVER buy another piece of furniture from Broyhill and i will know next time to make sure ALL the cushions have high density foam in them and not that crappy loose batting.  Pass the word,   Broyhill is making junk!

11. imatellmuva profile image77
    imatellmuvaposted 13 years ago

The last piece of furniture I purchased was last year. It's a tall bistro table w/ 2 swivel chairs. The table is finished in mahogany and has a gold-leaf filigree design carved into the wood, and sets ontop a wrought iron base. The chairs are constructed of leather (color mahogany) and are rested on a wood base (I'm unsure what type of wood).

I have the bistro set in my bedroom. Yup! I have one wall that's slighlty inset, and it was a perfect fit, and the set accents my room quite nicely.

The set has a $2,000.00 value, and I purchased it for $200.00. I bought it from someone I know who lives extravagantly.

12. profile image49
    slice2020posted 12 years ago

I bought mine many years ago that store is no longer open now , the only advice that I will give you is to buy wisely ,it all depends on your budget first of all , if you buy cheap it will be cheap ,but if you buy a good piece it will last you for years, it all depends on the things that you need ,if you need a bed and mattress go and get yourself a good one because you will need it have a good night sleep and rest on it so that in the morning you will get up with no aches and pains all over the body and perform 100% at work to make more money and purchase your next piece of furniture
    =========
    Furniture | furniture stores

13. brielise profile image60
    brieliseposted 12 years ago

I noticed this is an old post but since we were just talking about this I thought I'd comment. We recently bought an "antique" dresser from my uncle (of all people) a few months ago. It was way more than we were looking to spend but we had already committed and they drove it the hour to our house so we felt like we couldn't say no. My parents ended up paying for it as a Christmas gift. We had seen it in poor lighting so didn't notice that it had stuff carved into it, was made out of pine, and was poorly stained. We took it in our house and the only way to describe the smell is "death". I made the most of it and let it air out, sprayed it with Febreze, then used a wood oil soap. I also used Old English on it to try to cover up some of the scratches and places where they didn't stain properly. I put on new handles from Target because the ones on it were like fake brass or something and really gaudy. In the end, I covered it with a table runner. Honestly, when we move I don't know if it's coming with us. My sister-in-law gave us a bedroom set when they moved so right now it's kind of a spare.

Clearly I am not happy with my last furniture purchase and appalled that the salesperson was actually family. My uncle had an antique store in a market house and said he gave us a deal but there's no way he could have sold it for even what he sold it to us for. What I wish would have happened differently? That we would have gone back to look at it in daylight and said, NO WAY!

14. profile image0
    Muldaniaposted 12 years ago

The last piece of furniture I bought was a Victorian cabinet.  It is dark oak with a heavily carved door.  It is the most beutiful piece of furniture I have seen, and although I bought it about three years ago, I still enjoy looking at it.  It is much more interesting that watching the TV.

15. profile image53
    Inkdropposted 12 years ago

the last thing i brought was area rugs .that was quiet good, yes it was

16. profile image53
    sabulbaposted 12 years ago

hi...
    yes definitely i was happy with my previous purchase of furnitur but feel that i was wrong as latest design and shades are introducing day by day.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)