why not post your own photo in your profile pics?

Jump to Last Post 1-29 of 29 discussions (99 posts)
  1. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

I think for many it is. Also quite a few people here have multiple accounts, so obviously wouldn't want to use their real photo for all.

I use my real photo and have on;y one account.

1. David 470 profile image83
      David 470posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, that could be one of the reasons. I have another account, and use something else.

2. lyndre profile image61
    lyndreposted 13 years ago

I use my avatar to keep my anonimity.I had to delete my last account as I was outed, and some of my hubs are of a personal nature and not even common knowledge to members of my family.

3. evvy_09 profile image61
    evvy_09posted 13 years ago

I mostly write about video games, so chose one of my favorite characters as my avatar.   I have posted a picture of my husband and me on one of my hubs. 
    And hopefully, one day Evvy will be a known name in video game news, leaving Crystal free to do something else.  The avatar is almost as cute as me.

I write a videogames too. A few other things, but there not my main topics.

1. evvy_09 profile image61
        evvy_09posted 13 years agoin reply to this

And you have great zombie tips.  I'm getting better. I was so bad at first person shooters and never played them on a regular basis before black ops

I remember when I was a kid, I hated first person view games. Now, there one of my favorite genres. Rpgs are good too. Mass Effect is sort of a hybrid shooter/rpg

2. warchild75 profile image64
      warchild75posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have been known as my screen name for years as i have always been a gamer and it is common practice to have a gamer name,plus i like being anomonous.

mine is close to my gamertag too.  Evvy is what I wish I'd been name when I was little and the 09 is a reference to my worst year.  I lost much that year but it forced me to grow and mature (for lack of a better word) .

4. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 13 years ago

I prefer anonymity.

I thought that was a self portrait Mark.

1. Pcunix profile image90
        Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is.  I have seen him in person. Well, in a dream, but that's good enough, right?

big_smile  Yes it is,  but some might find it weird that you dream about Mark.  Any details?

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
            Mark Ewbieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

OK, lol @ both. He's making it up.  I hope.

Maybe not, Mark.  Some might find stick figures attractive.  tongue

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81

Might they?  Hmmm.  I'll go and and sharpen my pencil.

2. Pcunix profile image90
            Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't want to post details, because dream interpretation is close to an exact science and it would be too easy to get my Google or Amazon passwords from the dream.

Also, it involved the precise date of the End of The World, and I do not feel you are ready for that yet. 

Let's just say that Mark played a leading role and leave it at that.

I'm not ready for that yet? sad  Don't let Evvy's cuteness fool you,  she is as tough as any modern day game character.

Did Mark save the world using the single hair on his head?

5. I am DB Cooper profile image63
    I am DB Cooperposted 13 years ago

Nice try, FBI. This police sketch is the closest you'll get to seeing my identity!

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol

6. arthurchappell profile image46
    arthurchappellposted 13 years ago

Mine is a picture of me though people do assume i've put a photo of Bradd Pitt online to make myself look cool - lol!

7. brandonhart100 profile image75
    brandonhart100posted 13 years ago

I've heard that having a personal photo actually increases sale volume.  Does anyone have an opinion on that?

1. profile image0
      Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Maybe that explains why some professional writing sites now require the use of a personal photo.

2. Mark Ewbie profile image81

Yes. I have an opinion.  I think you are right, depending on the photo of course.  If the image fits the message you are selling - makes perfect sense.

I need to write a pipe cleaning hub and watch my sales rocket.

Seriously I don't think a joky amateur profile picture fits any kind of sales hub.

3. yenajeon profile image70
      yenajeonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I completely believe it. I think people automatically associate certain ideas and images with a product. People may feel safer purchasing something/believing something if the writer is open. i.e. nothing to hide, revealing self etc.

1. Flightkeeper profile image68
        Flightkeeperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

But Yena, looking at my picture will turn viewers into stone.  It's a public service I'm doing by not posting my picture. wink

8. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

I am horrifically narcissistic. If I used my actual photograph, I would just fawn all over myself and never post anything.

9. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 13 years ago

I used mine for awhile--but, would you rather see a picture of an old lady or a cute little owl?

10. Green Lotus profile image60
    Green Lotusposted 13 years ago

Some people, myself included find that an appealing avatar or photo gets you more traffic. I used to use a big green lotus without a face. Now I'm a face with a small green lotus. The traffic improved almost immediately. Of course, more Hubs more traffic, but I still think the new photo helped smile

11. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

I don't mind using my photo on my main account, but my other accounts just have pictures of flowers or scenery.

Who's to say that the photos you claim are of you, actually are? Sure, I might have a photo of a 20 something girl for my profile pic but who's to say that I'm not some 43 year old guy anyway? Not like a photo proves much.

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

But your wisdom (or complete absence of it) does.
      Well, not always.
      I am me, could not find avatar that would reflect who I am. Who am I?  big_smile

12. Maria Cecilia profile image84
    Maria Ceciliaposted 13 years ago

sorry for some mistakes in grammar and missing words.....sometimes I think too fast that I thought my fingers were fast enought to catch up....

13. Randy Godwin profile image60
    Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago

My wife forbade me!

14. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

Some people break cameras, some people...well, lets just say you don't really want a new monitor!

Besides, this little guy is a chick magnet.  I've received 12 marriage proposals so far - all postdated for 2030.

15. tlpoague profile image81
    tlpoagueposted 13 years ago

I started out with an avatar but changed after getting bored with it. My husband had a horrible fit over me using personal pictures with a few of my hubs. I carefully explained to him that if children are plastering themselves all over facebook, what is a picture or two on hubpages. At least here it seems a little more secure. (Of course I am one of those people that sometimes walk in a cloud about these things.)

16. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I'm not sure what you mean by secure, as the site has a global audience. once your pic is uploaded to this site, it is now online. if you google your user name and click image, your pic will show up.

so it's really whatever people are comfortable with. as others have said, it's not so much to hide our identity, but to protect our privacy.

I've used a real pic when I first started, but like using an avatar that I think represents my writing and personality.

17. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 13 years ago

Because I'm hideous! hmm

1. Julie2 profile image60
      Julie2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh stop klarawieck! lol

I guess putting up pics of other things aside from yourself is a reflection of what the person likes.

1. Maria Cecilia profile image84
        Maria Ceciliaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

agree, I love using my dogs' photo in my profile...it's only here at HP where I started using my own photo..

1. profile image0

Your own photos, you mean. You have changed the picture very recently. I must wonder why, no offense or disrespect intended.

1. Maria Cecilia profile image84
            Maria Ceciliaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

even if I have nothing to explain I will tell you.... I have many blogs and it always involve my dogs, and when I submit an article in a pet magazine I talk about animals, before hubpages I was thinking of  another blog where my writing will not be only about my dogs, but also about myself and everything that I want to write about, then I found HP,  my using my real name is an indication that this is about me, and to justify it more, I post my own photo instead of my dog Peso, in case you didnt know, Peso is almost my trademark, he is in my email add, his picture in my laptop screen saver, at my cellphone, at my personal office wall etc.... now I changed my photo profile recently simply because it's new year... and in my other sites, I frequently change my profile photo, only here in hp where I seldom change it. hope that answers your question.. if not I am just a normal human being, I dont think I have an answer for you, you are just too deep.....

18. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

Thanks Maria Cecilia. Everything looks good, I hope it all works out for you, and you've created a nice profile for yourself so far.

19. CMHypno profile image83
    CMHypnoposted 13 years ago

Surely it is just a matter of personal choice and how people choose to express themselves?

1. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nah, that would be too simple!

Personally I prefer using an animal as my avatar.  If I posted my real pic (that of a 40-something, greying and slightly overweight woman), I would do so in the sad knowledge that some people looking at my hubs would filter anything I write through whatever preconceptions they may have about 40-something, greying and slightly overweight women, rather than judging my comments/hubs on their own merits. 

There's no chance they'll do that if my avatar's a cat lol

1. Julie2 profile image60
        Julie2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

OMG! EmpressFelicity you are to funny... smile

20. skyfire profile image81
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

Uncle ben said once, with avatar comes great responsibility. So i always use avatars of responsible characters.

1. Myra Tylor profile image61
      Myra Tylorposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i post my own picture

1. profile image0
        ssaulposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I guess nobody found me attractive since i never got a rude or provocative comment, lol. smile

21. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

It's easier to slam people when no one knows who you are or what you look like.

1. profile image0

Lots of hubbers with faces and names have gotten themselves banned from the forums, though.

22. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

Maria Cecilia, the Original Poster, apparently has felt that she was bullied in this thread by myself and possibly by others. In emails, she has expressed her decision to stay away from the forums to avoid encountering "someone like you." She has said that she is considering to report me to HubPages for fear that I will leave intimidating comments on her hubs. She has further suggested that I have written a hub attacking her and/or other opponents involved in this thread.

All of this is unreal. As far as I am concerned, I and a few others took the liberty of disagreeing with the OP. Nobody was intimidating or attacking anybody. Not here, not on hubs, not in email.

I sincerely hope that the OP will return to the forums, where she should be safe and comfortable that nobody will try to attack or intimidate her. However, she should also realize that this forum is intended for debate among adults. She cannot expect everyone, not even her friends, to agree with her all of the time.

This will be my final post on this thread.

Well she did say she was sensitive.  I just reread this whole thread and nothing said by you, me or anyone else who disagreed was attacking the OP.   I hope she comes to realize that no one is going to harass her for something that is so unimportant.

1. JD Barlow profile image60
        JD Barlowposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I use an avatar so that I can keep my privacy. It's hard enough to write without people judging you on how your look, etc.

1. Druid Dude profile image61
          Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, I'm actually a bush and a bench. Now you have to figure out which bush, and which bench. Thought y'all would be able to read the writing on the sign and bench. It's funny.

23. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

Oh, honestly!  hide or protect - the only difference is one is seen as honorable while the other isn't.  Who cares if I'm hiding my identity or protecting it?  It's my choice and has nothing to do with anyone else on this site...besides, I am using an avatar I found online, to Create an image, not to hide or to protect one!  yikes

24. Anna Evanswood profile image72
    Anna Evanswoodposted 13 years ago

Avatars allow you to contribute to the web but in a way that doesn't endanger your offline presence. Once you release a picture of yourself on the net... you lose control of that image.. I am a teacher and would prefer that my students don't have access to my image.

25. janey_may79 profile image61
    janey_may79posted 13 years ago

Funny thing is I have tried to post a pic for my profile but for some reason it will not save it.  Don't you just love us neewbies!  smile  I will figure it out eventually it just wont be today.  I think your personal photo makes things more personable for your readers.  It allows them a short glimpse into your life and who you are.  As soon as I have the time to figure out why hubpages is not allowing my photo up I will repost it!  :0  I hope some of you are Broncos fans because that is the location of the photo!  smile

26. Maria Cecilia profile image84
    Maria Ceciliaposted 13 years ago

Just set things straight, I asked because I want to know, did not ask this post because I wanted to start a debate, but the debate that happened here was not about the question, for there was nothing to argue about, I was just asking why not post your photo, I did not say posting your original photo in the profile is correct and posting the avatar or whatever is wrong, i said that clearly for I once used my dog's photo in my profile, the dabate started with the words disrespectful, and have nothing to explain especially to those women who are posting thier photos and so on so forth....

Yes forum is maybe is for debating adults but maybe depending on the topic....

Do you always start a debate with someone asking a question to be enlightened? do you always treat all those poster who asked that way?

This is my last post here for I guess this is enough to say my side.... I am transparent and what you see is what you get, I am not the type who comments nicely in here but the exact opposite in email.

sorry fellow hubbers for this... I'll make sure this will be the last time I will react this way....

Let's ll go back to the original topic which is why not post your picture in your profile? and I can see majority here who answered fairly..

1. Rafini profile image82
      Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm beginning to think some people may have jumped to the wrong conclusions without checking out your profile (I only added to the debate, sorry, but I see I tend to do that sometimes....)  I noticed you're from the Philippines and am guessing English isn't your native tongue - that could have something to do with the confusion over hiding/protecting identity.  As you can see, the difference creates somewhat of a controversial topic. smile

27. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

This is just another example of the busybody attitude that's becoming way too pervasive on this site. There are too many hubbers that spend too much time judging the innocent actions of other hubbers and always have to know WHY.

There are one or two other forums that I frequent on webmaster and affiliate marketing issues and this type of stuff is never part of the discussion.

28. janey_may79 profile image61
    janey_may79posted 13 years ago

Well just to post my reply to the photo profile picture.  I did try with feated effort to get my profile photo to appear.  But for some reason it did not work out.  So after the hard work, I just decided on a beautiful photo from my vacation in Colorado.  Oh us newbies!  Gotta love us!  smile  Hope you all will take some time and hop over to my hub to read awhile!  Have a great weekend everybody!  smile

29. Pamela N Red profile image85
    Pamela N Redposted 13 years ago

I use my own picture. I can understand some using an avatar. I've had my pictures stolen before. Kind of weird. I'm not sure which is more strange, having your picture stolen or your writing. I've had both. I guess I should be flattered.

I don't use my real surname. Pamela N Red is my pen name and works for me. My real name is too common and there are already at least three other authors that use it so I changed mine up a bit. Pamela is my real first name.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)