Gathering Followers

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Shinkicker profile image53
    Shinkickerposted 13 years ago

Hi folks, any suggestions on the best way to attract more followers. I'm not looking for any easy short cuts but just what are the best methods in your experience.

It's just that I've noticed a few Hubbers with only a small number of Hubs published yet they have hundreds of followers.

How do they do it?

1. bogerk profile image70
      bogerkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

From what I understand, followers do nothing to help your Hubber score and will only result in HubPages traffic, which is fairly unlikely to result in income.

I'm sure the slight boost to traffic a dedicated follower provides is beneficial to SEO ranking, but I would think you would want to target your Google, Yahoo and Bing Readers more.

(easier said than done)

2. profile image0
      ssaulposted 13 years agoin reply to this

don't worry about hub pages followers, worry about organic traffic that's where you gonna get the cash!

3. kschang profile image87
      kschangposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Followers just means fellow hubpages members who want to "follow" your hubs. They don't affect overall traffic.

Frankly, a lot of them are newbies who thinks "follow" is like "friend" on Facebook, and if they "follow" you they expect you to follow them back.  :-P

4. simeonvisser profile image69
      simeonvisserposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You can get hundreds of followers genuinely, it does not depend on the number of hubs that you have. It depends on how your participate in the HubPages community. Sure, you do need to have a few good hubs but when you are helpful to others they generally follow you. On my profile page I have a link to a hub on how to get followers, it's not that difficult really.

5. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Forums are a great way to meet people and share ideas. I've read hundreds of hubs from people I've met in forums. If I like their writing, I add them. smile Good luck!

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

Don't follow their example, they are probably spam-following hundreds as well. Read further:

http://hubpages.com/search/include:foru … +followers

3. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 13 years ago

They probably play the follow me, follow you game.  Kind of debases the point of it, which imo, is surely to follow people you want to read.

I don't really follow anyone because a. I don't have much time for reading and b.I need my mind relatively clear of other people's thoughts otherwise I will end up accidentally plagiarising.

imo - you deserve some followers for your polish vodka hub which is excellent and amusing.

But my question to you is - why do you want more followers?

4. KristenGrace profile image60
    KristenGraceposted 13 years ago

It's nice to have followers but like everyone said, it won't really change your author score OR result in more income from Adsense or Amazon, most likely...

I am not a fan of "if I follow you, will you follow me..." So for ME, I have gotten followers just by being active in the forums, and reading and commenting on fellow hubbers' hubs.

1. profile image0
      Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You don't need to be. You are immensely followable, people are dragged to you like a magnet.

1. frogdropping profile image77
        frogdroppingposted 13 years agoin reply to this

... whereas mine are foolishly swayed by the promise of something shiny and green.

Alas not emeralds ... but the sheen that emanates from the surface of my stagnant and slimy pond tongue

2. KristenGrace profile image60
        KristenGraceposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL, thanks for the compliment, W.E.... not sure I'm deserving however.

5. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

I have a few hundred followers. I bet 90% of them have never read a darn thing I ever wrote. They followed me because they hoped I'd follow back (and that is something I am EXTREMELY unlikely to do, by the way).

At your own website, it can be useful to have good numbers of followers, mailing list subscribers, whatever, because if they come to trust you, it becomes easier to sell them things like books or or other services you may offer.

Here at HP, I'm not sure they have as much value. Some of your real followers - the people who will actually read new things you write - may help spread your fame across the Internet by mentioning your stuff in their Facebook or tweets and so on.  Given that, I certainly wouldn't say that a larger number is bad, but I would say that it is a lot closer to a meaningless number than it is at your own site.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I was going to answer this, but Pcunix has explained it so well, there's nothing left to say.

6. melpor profile image91
    melporposted 13 years ago

It depends a lot on the subject your hub is about and on the quality of the hub.

7. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

if you want followers you can engage with and share your interests, you can check out hubs/hubbers in the topics you like.
    comment on their hubs, share them, etc.

like others have said, many have never read one hub, ever.

everyone follows for different reasons. I follow those I admire and enjoy common interests with. I don't follow everyone who follows me. But I'm not one of those who will only follow someone if I like all of their hubs. Many hubbers have numerous topics they write about. I will read their hubs that interest me.

HP has some wonderful people here.

1. Pcunix profile image91
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Indeed we do.

I agree. I don't have to like everything someone writes to follow them. But if they never write anything I would read, why bother? I don't mean that they write badly - they might write beautifully about things that just don't interest me. 

We are on the same page, I think.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think so. sometimes when I'm feeling lazy and want to read in bed, I'll use my Ipod touch to read hubs. I usually don't comment but I'll always rate up. I find hubbers fascinating. After a while I start to feel like I know some of those I follow and read.
        It's a wonderful thing to connect with people from all over the world.

I'm following shinkicker now. He has some well-written hubs, and a great profile.

8. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 13 years ago

I agree with the above statements, followers are nice if they are following you for the right reasons.

I've been terribly lax on those I follow - I haven't been a good commenter or a thumbs up followers as I use to be, so I need to change that.

Another way people get followers is on the forums - I don't necessarily agree with their tactics so I won't go into it here.

You have a good following now, don't fret! smile smile

9. Eclectic Mix profile image60
    Eclectic Mixposted 13 years ago

Hi all,

I'm a newbie to Hubpages, so I appreciate the insight into the way following works, to be honest I am pleased that it depends on your SEO and quality of content, as I would rather have the credibility.

All the best.

1. LeeWalls profile image61
      LeeWallsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm new also so welcome. When someone follows me I thank them and I do follow their profile not because of the, my friend is your friend deal but because of the content.

It would be nice not to be so judgmental towards newbies with Facebook. This is Hubpages it has nothing to do with Facebook unless that social media makes up your life as a person and not as a writer.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)