Is This the End of Sarah Palin As We Know Her?

Jump to Last Post 1-29 of 29 discussions (105 posts)
  1. Stump Parrish profile image59
    Stump Parrishposted 13 years ago

http://www.alternet.org/story/149522/is … her?page=2

Mark Green in the Huffington Post declared Palin's candidacy, and even perhaps her future as a pundit dead. He wrote:

Because she has not shown any of the experience, intellect, character or temperament to be a serious presidential contender -- and because Republican leaders are not politically stupid -- she has now officially been destroyed as a serious candidate not by the "lamestream" media but by herself. She's her own worst enemy.

As William Rivers-Pitt wrote at TruthOut this week, “Before you start spluttering and staggering in an attempt to comprehend the sheer galactic magnitude of this new round of idiocy...stop a second and remember that this is how people like Sarah Palin operate. This is how they get others to follow them. They make themselves out to be victims, and convince their followers that they, too, are victims.”

Go Palin, Go Palin, Go. Please I am begging you people on the right. Please get out and support Palin for President in 2012. You know she is the best qualified canidate to lead this country where you want it to go. Shucks I might even contribute to her campaign if it will help her win the Repub nomination. Considering the level of common sense the right has shown of late, it probably thinks I'm a devoted swallower of Palin bullcrap. Please, please, pretty please Republicans, run this woman for president.

1. Shinkicker profile image52
      Shinkickerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm still astonished that the country of Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, Abaham Lincoln etc has been reduced to suffering this ridiculous woman in US politics.

To think a few percentage points seperated her from the Vice-Presidency makes me shudder. She's bright, intelligent and beautiful but she's also a complete and utter ding-dong :-)

2. lady_love158 profile image60
      lady_love158posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh sure the left would love to declare victory over Palin! LOL Not yet though! Let's see what happens by year's end. I predict Obama will be so hated that even the blue dog democrats would vote for Palin if she runs! LOL

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60
        Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If that disease ever infects U.S. politics again, we have a cure.

http://www.hitsville.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/couric1.jpg

2. Randy Godwin profile image62
        Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would love to make a wager on this with you!  Want to put your money where your mouth is?  Please?  I'll even give you odds if you prefer.  Or are you merely beating your gums as usual?  lol

1. lady_love158 profile image60

Obama will be a one term president! The worst is yet to come undser his "leadership"! LOL Yup I'd put money on it!

1. Randy Godwin profile image62

100 bucks on your original prediction!  Don't waffle on me now! smile

Hello?

2. habee profile image93
              habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

RD, do you think Obama will be re-elected? I think it depends on how the economy is doing at the time and who the GOP candidate is. I realize this wasn't the bet - I'm just wondering what you think.

I like to think so.  I don't think a conservative could have done any better with the problems the last 8 years of their rule caused.

We might be in even worse shape than we are now.  Bush had congress to rubber stamp any bill to help the country, didn't he?

1. profile image60
                  logic,commonsenseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Obama had an ironclad majority in both the house and the senate until last election.  Why didn't he solve all our problems?  Using your logic, he is as incompetent as Bush.  Maybe more so as Bush did not have a 60 vote majority in the Senate.

Did Bush inherit as big a mess as Obama did?  It's easy to make a gigantic mess, but harder to clean it up!

2. lady_love158 profile image60

LOL! Obama re-elected? Has anyone seen the price of gas lately? How about the price of food? When will the media call Obama out onb his punishing energy policy? What about his monetary policy? He's driving up the cost of everything and NO ONE says a word? Remember how the media trashed Bush when gas was 3 bucks a gallon... well now it's 3.10! Everything Obama is doing is leading us to destruction! And the idiots on the left won't even question him! By the summer gas will be 4 dollars a gallon it could be 5 dollars by time the election rolls around and unemployment will go up if something isn't done to stop the rise. Obama is an idiot! He's finished as a president and I can't wait to see him go back to community organizing!

Gotta agree with you on this one.  Idiots who spell check their posts are not to be trusted.

Your memory is terrible, LaLo!  Is that as high as the gas got under Bush?  Tell us the truth if you can.  And the bet, is it on or not?  If not, don't let your mouth write a check your ass can't cover.  Understand?

Well I'm sure I could find out but the point is when gass hit 3 dollars the media was all over Bush! Where are they now? Why does Obama get a pass?

3. Jim Hunter profile image59
              Jim Hunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'll bet Obama is a one term President.

$100 is fine with me.

First you have to prove you have $100.00

1. Jim Hunter profile image59

Not to you I don't.

Yes you do...

Infinity

2. habee profile image93

If he sends it to me to hold, we'll all know whether or not he can cover the bet. Same goes for Randy.

Make sure it's cash.

Cool!  Let me know when LaLO and Jim sends their money.  I will give you mine in person!  cool

The original bet concerns Palin and LaLo's mouthing off.  Wanta bet on her original prediction?  LaLo talks the talk, but she don't walk the walk.  Of course, we already knew that!  lol

3. Evan G Rogers profile image60
                Evan G Rogersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'd like to chime in and say that it doesn't matter if Obama's a 1 term president.

Didn't you guys notice how Bush and Obama are pretty much the same thing?

Increase taxes, increase spending, and act like we're doing good!

The only difference is where they choose to put the spending. Bush put it into invading innocent countries, while Obama is putting it into ruining the lives of innocents.

1. jags105 profile image59
                  jags105posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Didn't you notice that they ALL are pretty much the same .....at least these days. We no longer have sttesmen. We have politicians

3. Ms Dee profile image88
      Ms Deeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, not the end. She'll come out stronger than ever.

Holle's holding the money, feel free to join in the bet!

1. habee profile image93

Okay, I'm trying to keep up here:

Lalo bets Randy that Palin WILL be POTUS.

Jim bets Randy that BO is a one-termer.

Randy bets Dee that Palin WON'T be POTUS.

Is that right? If so, I need the following:

Lalo - $100
          Randy - $300
          Jim - $100
          Dee - $100

You can send it to my Paypal account for safe keeping!

And I bet 100.00 that Jim will have to borrow the 100.00

4. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just wait, in a couple of years you won't be able to find anyone on these forums who will admit to ever liking Sarah Palin.  Sorta like now, when you can't find a conservative who voted for GWB.

2. BillyDRitchie profile image60
    BillyDRitchieposted 13 years ago

I've been hoping Sarah Palin would go away for quite a while.  I think she has a fine career ahead of her as apolitical pundit, but running for higher office is a waste of time.

I'll say it again, if you quit your term as governor halfway through because you couldn't take the heat, what makes you think you could even remotely qualify to be President?  It's not like the heat gets turned down or anything....

3. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

We moderate Republicans can only hope!

4. Right On Time profile image60
    Right On Timeposted 13 years ago

Since when did not showing "experience, intellect, character or temperament" stop the last Right US president, George W Bush.

Awww isn't she adowable...
    http://s3.hubimg.com/u/4448262_f248.jpg

It sure didn't stop Obama! LOL

http://theliepolitic.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/alfred-e-obama-mad.jpg

5. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years ago

Her supporters have stated that SP will be studying hard to be better prepared for the 2012 debates that she was in 2008.  She better get started.

http://img.docstoccdn.com/thumb/orig/10399905.png

1. Right On Time profile image60
      Right On Timeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL lol

Oh wait...you're serious. Maybe someone really should send her the book.

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/4448487_f248.jpg

She has to start somewhere.

1. Right On Time profile image60
          Right On Timeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah I love the way the Republicans let her do work experience. If she builds up the experience on her CV she might even be ready (you know, glib soundbytes, rhinoplasty and botox...her specialities).

6. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

...well, since a few of ya are posting pics....i like this one....

http://0.tqn.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/g/-/3/pelosi-emanuel-creepy.jpg

1. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Somewayouttahere, maybe it's those gray and white pearls she's wearing?   smile

7. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Randy, are you taking Jim's bet? I'll be glad to hold the money for you guys. lol

8. Jim Hunter profile image59
    Jim Hunterposted 13 years ago

Its interesting that the left does everything they can to destroy her and fail miserably.

The left governs impotently and the leftist media is a joke.

You people belong to a funny religion.

Obamablessyou.

The left does everything they can to prop her up.  She is the dream 2012 presidential candidate.

You would be choice #2

1. Jim Hunter profile image59

Obamablessyou.

May Palin guide you...

Er, I mean continue to guide you.

9. lovemychris profile image77
    lovemychrisposted 13 years ago

All she has to do is open her mouth. Zzzzinggg, straight to the bottom!

And you should talk about religion!  Did you catch this? google:
    "The Battle Hymn of Sarah Palin"

I won't make fun of them because they are sincere.
    But you have no legs to stand on half-pint, none.

10. manlypoetryman profile image76
    manlypoetrymanposted 13 years ago

I bet $100.00 that no one makes it to inauguration since the End of the World happens in December 2012.

You're on too!  Good luck collecting if you win!  lol

11. Randy Godwin profile image62
    Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago

$300!  I can't go a whole week without beer! mad

12. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Oh yes. Obama is ruining our capitalist economy!

http://leisureguy.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/prezperformance.jpg

1. DTR0005 profile image61
      DTR0005posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow.. I had heard this, but here it is - I guarantee you, the Conservatives won't believe it - even if Sarah P. Twittered it!

13. Mighty Mom profile image77

Obama hasn't created any jobs, either!

http://www.blogforarizona.com/.a/6a00d8341bf80c53ef0133f5a23033970b-500wi

Pssst.....your Eliteness!  Conservatives don't understand graphs!  Draw them something with a crayon.  lol

2. Evan G Rogers profile image60

I couldn't help but notice that this graph of proving job growth...

1) starts during the time when the depression hit

and

2) ends about when the 2010 census was being ended...

THUS!! It is indeed a faulty piece of information that was clearly designed to mislead.

Sorry, but you CAN lie with statistics. There's even a book about it! "How to lie with statistics"... and this type of chart is displayed and discussed in it thoroughly!

1. profile image0

There is no title or legend on the graph, so how do you even know for sure what it represents?

But, I'd like to hear a deeper explanation of your belief that the graph lies.  Just saying that it starts on a certain date and ends on a certain date tells me nothing about why you are dismissing the graph.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image60

The economic crash hit in mid-to-late 2008. Thus any decrease in GDP, or any sort of economic activity isn't directly the president's fault.

Then, we see "recovery" on the graph being held around the same time that the government had to launch a horrendously invasive Census. It ended up employing thousands of people to do this.

Thus, any sort of "recovery" in 2010 wouldn't have had anything to do with presidential decisions.

Mighty Mom was trying to pull a once over - she shows stats that had nothing to do with presidency, but she claimed that they had EVERYTHING to do with presidency.

She lied with statistics.

Please read "How to lie with statistics". It's a fantastic book that will make you more likely to notice when people are scamming you over.

1. profile image0

I have read it.  I was employed as a data analyst until just a few months ago.

sorry to assume you didn't read it.

I'm simply saying that she's pointing to facts that aren't correlated and claiming a correlation.

The book's great! I loved it!

1. profile image0

Your theory about the Census could possibly explain the April-May increases, but runs counter to the increases in July, August, and October.

I agree there is not necessarily a correlation between Obama as president and an increase in jobs.

1. Druid Dude profile image61
                  Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

WHAT JOBS! They haven't materialized here.

That's how we know you are scamming us over!  DOH!  lol

?

14. Mighty Mom profile image77

Yes, it is definitely true that gas prices are up under Obama. Could it possibly be that
    a) Obama's family does not have tight relationships with OPEC oil barons?
    b) Obama's political agenda is to wean Americans OFF their dependence on gasoline in favor of non-fossil fuels? What would be the BEST way to do that?? Hint: the answer is in the pocketbook

http://static.businessinsider.com/image/4d1a2fa249e2ae505b010000/gasoline-since-2000-chart.jpg

15. Mighty Mom profile image77

Doh! I forgot! Facts and figures are completely useless!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2126/2519524071_6a43fc22f9.jpg

The facts and figures you're posting only prove horrendous bias.

I already discussed the bar graph.

Your line graph, however, seems to make the basic assumption that Oil prices are determined by the president alone.

Such a fallacious argument!!! This was also discussed in the previously mentioned "How to lie with statistics".

you've been duped, Mighty Mom. Sorry!

16. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Okay, I see I'm going to have to hire an accountant just to keep up with the bets! Also, I charge a 10% administrative fee, BTW.

17. Evan G Rogers profile image60
    Evan G Rogersposted 13 years ago

I must admit that I find this article pretty stupid...

"Even with mainstream media figures like Howard Kurtz defending her from blame over the shooting, she still chose to make such a tragic day and a traumatic incident about herself."

ermm... i dunno about that, the DAY that the shooting happened, I was reading comments on these here HubPages blaming Palin, Beck, and O'Reily for their comments...

Sounds to me like others turned the tragic day into an incident about her.

I find the quote "defending her from blame over the shooting" VERY VERY VERY disturbing. PALIN DIDN'T PULL THE TRIGGER YOU NINCUMPOOPS!!!

18. Mighty Mom profile image77

Current views (via poll) of Obama vs. Palin and GOP.

Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co … 1011702561

In contrast to glowing reviews for the president, former Alaska governor Sarah Palin (R) draws more negative than positive evaluations of the way she has handled the tragedy. About 30 percent give her positive marks, while nearly half - 46 percent - disapprove of her actions. About a quarter in the poll expressed no opinion. Fewer than half of all Republicans approve of Palin's handling of the matter, with positive marks rising to just 56 percent among conservative Republicans.

Palin was criticized after the shootings for having published a map during the 2010 midterm campaign that included cross hairs on congressional districts of 20 Democrats she hoped to see defeated, including Giffords.

A Palin adviser said after the shootings that the marks were surveyor's symbols, not cross hairs. Palin then released a video statement in which she said that people who were suggesting that her actions or the political discourse in general had brought about the massacre were guilty of "blood libel," a phrase that refers to accusations in the past that Jews had used the blood of non-Jews in their religious rituals.

Rising from new lows

The rise in Obama's overall approval number comes after an autumn in which his ratings hit new lows and his party suffered major electoral defeats. Also up is the public's assessment of the president's empathy. By a wide margin, 58 percent to 40 percent, Americans say he understands the problems of people like themselves. That is his best rating on this score in more than a year, significantly better for him than the split verdict he received last fall and summer. In September, 57 percent of whites said Obama did not understand their issues; now, a slim 52 percent majority of whites say he does get it.

Although the president's improved ratings could signal the beginning of a post-election comeback in his political fortunes, other findings from the new poll suggest that the durability of the improvement is highly dependent on how the coming fights with congressional Republicans play out.
    ad_icon

Obama's overall approval rating may be back in positive territory, but views of how he has dealt with major domestic issues still tilt negative. Slim majorities disapprove of how he is handling the economy, health-care reform and the budget deficit. Fifty percent approve of his handling of taxes.

About 44 percent of Americans say the country should go in the direction Obama wants to lead it, while 35 percent would prefer to track with the Republicans in Congress.
    On health-care reform, taxes and the burgeoning federal budget deficit, the public is about as apt to trust the GOP as it is to have confidence in the president.
    (So much for the public's "mandate" of change in the midterm elections. Already they trust factor is waning!) lol

Obama does have the upper hand - though narrowly - on the economy and terrorism. He has double-digit advantages over the GOP when it comes to helping the middle class and dealing with the war in Afghanistan.

Sarah who?            Hopefully just coined a new catchphrase there.

19. Mighty Mom profile image77

I would be happy to post sources for the graphs and charts.
    Note that my purpose in posting the graph with gas prices was in direct reponse to Lady_Love's comment about, "Have you seen the price of gas?" as an indicator that Obama will be a one-term president.
    I am very well aware that the POTUS has very, very little direct impact on the price of gasoline. However, his policies abroad and at home do play a role. There is no denying that!

20. Mighty Mom profile image77

Ok, this graph should be clearer and shows source of info.
    http://www.advisorperspectives.com/commentaries/images/gasoline-since-2000.gif

right, but this graph has NOTHING - ABSOLUTELY NOTHING - to do with who's the president.

Presidency and Oil prices have little to do with one another.

Also, you're trying to use the economic crisis caused by credit expansion (Austrian Theory of the Business cycle shows this clearly) to say that the man who was president did bad.

Newsflash: the president doesn't control the money supply NOR the economy.

Stump Parrishposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Presidency and Oil prices have little to do with one another.

Evan, I would agree with that staement unless you have a president that came from big oil, was raised with big oil money, educated with big oil money, and who managed to run a couple of personal oil companies into the ground.

Do you think that Bush being in the whitehouse had no effect on oil prices?

I would agree that the president doesn't control the money supply but the policies he impliments can have both positive and negative affects on our available money supply.
        Deregulation of the banking industry help fuel the financial meltdown and Bush implemented the deregulation. I think that shows that a president can effect and partially control the money supply of the country.

I shouldn't have to point out that I am not schooled in economics. Shocked huh? lol

1. habee profile image93

Stump, I responded to your question about education.

Sorry to interrupt, pals. Carry on!

Sure, Bush had a lot to do with oil

But do you think he actually controlled oil prices?

No. To even ask the question is to realize how absurd it is.

That spike in prices that you see during Bush is because of the Globe-wide boom of prices ( just about everything at the time was in a "spike"), and then the oncoming drop was what EVERYTHING did in late 2008.

Then things normalized a bit, and we see that the price level is about where it was before the spike.

Bush, nor Obama, nor anyone else controls the price of oil.

Prices are determined by "hey, how much you willing to give me for this barrel of oil?".

That's it.

2. Druid Dude profile image61

I still see no messiah on the horizon. No Cavalry coming to the rescue. I see a nation splitting in two, further and further divided. Overkill on the left of me, overkill on the right of me. Here comes anarchy and chaos and the greatest change which occurs on the brink of it. Does the phrase inevitable state of martial law scare anyone? It oughtta, cause we are almost there.

$100 it doesn't happen while Obama's in office!  You know which bookie to send the bet money to!  smile  Brought to you by "HubWagers."

I don't know. He looks suspicious to me! LOL

21. Mighty Mom profile image77

Correction for benefit of Evan:
    I, too, read "How to Lie with Statistics."
    The graph of gasoline prices does not show any statistics.
    It merely graphs prices.
    I never stated any president, including Obama or Bush, should be either credited or faulted for the price of gas.
    I was simply -- and openly -- providing information requested by Lady_Love.

As to the issue of employment and jobs, there are any number of measures we can go by. Presumably the "recession" ended in 2009. Not in my state. But... my  point in showing a positive TREND under Obama was intended to underscore the fact that things ARE getting better. They have a ways to go, but the worst (2008) is behind us.
    In the context of predictions about Obama getting a second term, my point was the indicators are trending more positive than they have in many months.
    If he keeps it up, those who have bet against his second term will lose their bets.

That's all. Nothing shady or malicious intended. I assure you.
    No duping!

really?

These are direct quotes from you provided IN THE SAME POSTS AS THE GRAPHS:

"Oh yes. Obama is ruining our capitalist economy!"

"Obama hasn't created any jobs, either!"

"Yes, it is definitely true that gas prices are up under Obama. Could it possibly be that
      a) Obama's family does not have tight relationships with OPEC oil barons?
      b) Obama's political agenda is to wean Americans OFF their dependence on gasoline in favor of non-fossil fuels? What would be the BEST way to do that?? Hint: the answer is in the pocketbook"

So... I guess you never actually SAID that Presidents and prices and job creation are connected....

... but you sure as hell implied it!

---

Also, how can you claim that a graph posting prices over time does not qualify as "Statistics"?! That's just utter nonsense.

Your sophistry will not work on me, foul trickster!

---

And last but not least: things aren't getting better. Unemployment (if you use the correct numbers) is still over 15% (hovering around 10% if you use the "official" numbers).

Bernanke and the treasury have quintupled the money supply in under ten years.

And food prices are skyrocketing.

Things are going to get bad.

22. Mighty Mom profile image77

I haven't yet heard anyone dispute this chart.
    But I'm waiting.
    The bank bailouts were a failure.
    The stimulus was a failure.
    But somehow, some way, the S&P managed to rally -- despite Obama.
    Go figure!

23. Paul Wingert profile image60
    Paul Wingertposted 13 years ago

Of all the things in this world that I'm grateful for, not ever meeting Sarah Palin is one of them. She needs to takes Barbara's Bush's advice and stay in Alaska.

24. Mighty Mom profile image77

No kidding!
    I normally don't agree with Barbara Bush on much of anything. But in this case... she's right on the money.

1. habee profile image93

And I LOVED the way Barb worded it!

She's lucky Alaska will take her. Never liked her. Too fake. Spotted it right away. Telltale signs!

25. Mighty Mom profile image77

Uh,ok, Evan.
    You outed me. I am a foul trickster.
    Actually, I am a fould trickstress :-).

Rofl, my bad.

Sorry to mis-represent your gender/sex.

I'm merely pointing out that the graphs you provided are very biased against Bush and for Obama.

That's it. If I saw those graphs and didn't know more about the time period, I would draw the same conclusions (especially with the "very leading" comments you made before posting them).

26. donotfear profile image82
    donotfearposted 13 years ago

Awww..leave her alone, will ya?!  The more you vomit her out of your mouth, the more determined she'll be.  I'm tired of all this.  Go pick on somebody else, will ya?!

and the longer it takes to get the taste outta yer mouth! smile

dono and Druid, I am simply doing everything I can to try an secure the Republican nomination for Palin. I am trying to help a political canidate to reach their potential. Working to secure our future thru the grass roots efforts of citizens like me is what keeps this country strong. Surely you aren't suggesting that Americans stop voicing their political dreams thru individual action are you?
        Nothing could be better for this country than to have Palin run for the Whitehouse and I intend to do everything i can to secure another term for Obama, by supporting Palin's bid to be elected to yet another government job she'ill quit 1/2 way thru.

dono, it would be easy to ignore Palin if she would simply keep her mouth shut. Since that is unlikely to happen I will welcome her regular contributions to the careers of comics all across America.

27. Mighty Mom profile image77

The S&P graph is not just a comparison between Bush and Obama. But it is surprising, isn't it?
    The jobs graph, agreed. I tried very hard to find an equivalent that showed jobs from 2000-2010 and came up empty. And true, unemployment is waaay up under Obama. It was like 4-6% during the Bush years.
    But the gas prices -- you are absolutely right. Gas prices fluctuate hourly based on what the market will bear.
    I repeat, I put that in because LaLo was complaining about the price of gas these days. Actually, it's been higher. But not by much! And as high as we think gas prices are in the states, Europe has it that much worse. Ouch! No wonder they eschew V8 engine cars!

your correct that the Europeans have been dealing with high fuel costs for decades and the vehicles they build show this. Here in America we recently had a president sue the state of California to stop the clean air legislature that had brought the EV-1 into existance. Bush, with the help of his big oil, big 3 Auto, stocked cabinet worked with GM to shut down the EV-1. at the sme time the successful EV-1 was closing up shop, the Hummer was rolling out to showrooms. Americans have been watching the high cost of fuel the rest of the world deals with and thru ignorance or arrogance assumed they were immune from those prices based upon the fact that they're Americans.

Why did you include posts about "the president" in the same area as the graphs about gas prices?

You were clearly trying to make a connection between lower gas prices and the presidency.

28. Mighty Mom profile image77

She told Sean Hannity recently: "I will not sit down. I will not shut up." So she's not going away quietly. Or soon.
    Just means her eventual self-destruction will be big and ugly.

I watched part of that interview but haven't finished it yet. I got the same impression about her inability to keep her foot out of her mouth in for the next 2 years.

29. Mighty Mom profile image77

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't President Bush give Americans financial incentives to buy SUVs?
    Funny about those ridiculous Hummers. You don't see them very much anymore, but when you do (or when I do, anyway) you have to look at the driver and restrain yourself from making the "L" sign!

you are correct. Individuals and business es got tax credits for buying the biggest vehicles made at the time. The EV-1 not only eliminated emissions, and the burning of fossil fuels, it greatly reduced the amount of additional oil products required to keep a vehicle operating. A large portion of the electric Rav 4's produced by Toyota with the electric drivetrain are still on the road today. If you haven't seen Who Killed the Electric Car yet, it's worth a watch. Plenty of indications as to why we still face the same problems we faced 10 years ago. Republican influence that was working for Big Oil, Big Power and GM in particular. They destroyed every bit of evidence of the EV-1 in the same fashion they destroyed all evidence of the 9/11 attacks. Early part of the new century saw an awful lot of evidence destroyed by the Republicans, don'tcha know?

I was for McCain before he was for Palin. Sorry, she was just too obvious, and nothing in the past months has changed my mind. I saw her embracing the tea party as a purely predictable political ploy.

My first impression of her as McCains choice for running mate was that she was selected primarily for being a woman. The Dems had a Black Man and a Woman as the front runners and the Repubs needed to look a little more progressive. It was an attempt to go after the female vote and i thought it made a lot of sense until I started paying attention to her and the messiah like worship that was expressed here in the bible belt. Who could blame them, they had an attractive woman who believed in god and liked to kill things with guns.

Clinton, Bush and Obama gave tax incentives to drill offshore...

They also have been killing people abroad....

... sounds to me like there's been NO change that I can believe in.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)