Do you look for duplicate content often?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Aficionada profile image80
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

A while ago I checked out one hub of a suspicious writer.  I mean by that, a forum post seemed to indicate that the writer was one of the get-rich-quick, I-can-teach-you-everything-you-need-to-know-to-make-a-million-online types.  That was my assumption, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, the one hub I read (not about money-making, by the way) seemed a very great deal like one by another hubber that I read a few months ago.  So now, I wonder whether I should google it or check in some way to see whether it actually is a rip-off of the earlier one - or whether they are both rip-offs of someone else.

Do any of you periodically check around to find duplicate content?  I mean, do you build it into your routine, in a way - or just check into it when there seems to be a specific reason?  And is there a preferred method for doing the checking?

1. Greek One profile image64
      Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Based on my Adsense revenue (or lack thereof), If anyone duplicated my content I think I would feel sorry for them rather than being mad lol.

Now if I had a Hub that actually made money, I would check

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol  You and me both, Greek one!  You and me both.  lol

2. nicregi profile image65
      nicregiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Actually I don't...Call me lazy but when I read about something being dup, I will check out that person's profile...just to be on the safe side.

3. talfonso profile image84
      talfonsoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In a way, yes - and I want to steer clear of duplicate content. I keep the "content is king" principle in mind and I check to make sure that my content is original. The only thing I can copy are quotes from experts, linked to cite them.

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

Whenever anyone I do not know asks for feedback on their hubs or requests advice on issues concerning their account, I routinely check for duplicate content.

Aficionadaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Do you mean by that that they ask you directly, or are you talking about posting in Extreme Hub Makeover too?

1. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If they sign up for my Quality Assurance Program, I will certainly check for duplicate content, and advise them of the risks and disadvantages of cutting corners.

If someone posts in the Makeover forum, I virtually always check. The reason is that I do not want to spend my energy to "improve" upon copied content. If I find anything, I will let them know on the forum or by leaving a comment on the hub.

On other forums, for instance the help forum, there are regularly posts about author score, hub score, and content having been flagged as duplicate. In many instances, it turns out that the root cause is that the Hubber has been copying from others.

So that is what I would call "routinely."

1. LillyGrillzit profile image79
          LillyGrillzitposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is reassuring to know. I know that HubPages does a good job, but it is a daunting task without the help of all Hubbers.

3. Pcunix profile image89
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

Yes, I do regular searches for keywords that will find my high SERP content.   Of course someone can still steal it and not appear on the first few pages of Google, but I can't be bothered with that or theft of stuff that wouldn't make good SERP anyway.

4. Appletreedeals profile image68
    Appletreedealsposted 13 years ago

I just use Google alerts.
    create an alert for the first sentence of your hub. Or one that would probably be used as-is if someone swiped your content.

This will alert you if it is found somewhere else.

GA

Is that a separate subscription service, or is it a part of something else?

1. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Surprisingly simple, you don't even need a Google account.

http://www.google.com/alerts

Thanks, WE!

2. saleheensblog profile image60
          saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

wow, that's a great tool. hello WE how are you today? have you seen my hubber score today? i am improving. I thank you for your help.

2. Pcunix profile image89
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good idea!

1. michifus profile image56
        michifusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

thanks

3. JulieBMack profile image58
      JulieBMackposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I had no idea this existed! I could use this in many places!  Thanks!

5. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

Hubpages will flag any of your hubs that appear as duplicates - whether you copied them or they copied you.

http://hubpages.com/my/copied

This is a free service they offer hubbers. I have heard that they only do it once a month but I may be wrong. Of course they have to pay for it, so it's a very generous service.

I have checked for duplicated content, and have found quite a bit. Not within hubpages, but a lot of what I have written has been reproduced without maintaining the links, removing my name as the author and adding in their own.

So now I need write to them I guess, tell them to take it down, get in touch with their hosting company, report it to google?

What else can easily be done? - I have the whois info on them.

Of is it a case of not sweating the small stuff?

6. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

Saleheensblog: Thanks for your kind words and congrats with moving into 75+ territory, i.e. do-follow. Stay above that, and you'll have one less thing to worry about.

Michifus: DMCA complaints are the ultimate tool for dealing with plagiarism online. I suggest you read the following thread from start to finish about filing DMCA complaints and the consequences of duplicate content:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/49212

You beauty! Thanks WE

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)