Do you believe in God?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (115 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Travis_S_Musicposted 13 years ago

I personally believe and follow God. I do not follow a particular religion, as religions are man made, and most have man made rules that have nothing to do with the belief in God. I simply believe. What are your thoughts on this subject?(:

1. Beelzedad profile image59
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How can you not follow a religion and follow a god? How does that work? smile

1. Jerami profile image58
        Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you don't know by now you will never never know.

Then, with your vast intellectual prowess, explain it. smile

OK,  I'll take that as a challenge.

Let me put this simple enough that you will understand.

Just because you wright the name of my favorite singer on the side of your band wagon,  don't mean that I'm going to jump on that wagon or follow behind it.

That explains nothing. So, thanks for nothing. smile

OK !   let me get a little more simplistic,

Just cause you wright Potato chips on the side of a bag of rocks  and just cause I don't buy it,  don't mean that I hate potato chips.

Got it ??

In other words, you are entirely unable to explain it but you've got a marble bag full of hillbilly hubris to share instead.

Thanks for nothing, again. smile

OK ...   I got it !    I understand now.   I had my suspisions before but now I got it.

2. couturepopcafe profile image61
                    couturepopcafeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Jerami love metaphor.  With respect - unfortunately they don't apply effectively to religion.

Jerami - You don't adhere to any organized religion.  Ok.  So how do you follow God?  How do you know what to follow?

3. profile image0
                    Travis_S_Musicposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You don't have to be a Catholic, Jew, Protestant or affiliate of a man made religion just because you believe in God.

Another way using Jerami's wording...Just because you shop at Wal-Mart, doesn't mean you work at wal-mart (:

2. Woman Of Courage profile image60
          Woman Of Courageposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I personally believe and follow God also.

I just do the best that I know how, being given that which I was given to work with.

1. profile image0
              jomineposted 13 years agoin reply to this

which one?
              how do you know that is god?

2. getitrite profile image72
      getitriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Could you define this God that you worship? And how did you find out about this God if not for the influence of others?

1. profile image0

Read a book they like to call the Bible perhaps? It's not a requirement to "sign up" for some religion just to read a Bible.

1. getitrite profile image72

The bible?!  That's absurd.  You're just fooling yourself.

There are over 30,000 different denominations of Christianity, and they all read the same bible.  It appears that you are not very different from any of them.  You are just non-denominational.

1. profile image0

There is a difference. The denominations make up rules you have to follow to "be one of them." If you don't follow their rules, then according to them, you are going "against the will of God" and they shun you for it. I do not agree with those ways. I would rather interpret the Bible the way it seems fit to me, not the way some one tells me it has to be seen.

Why not just stop half-stepping and throw the whole bible out?  You are still allowing them to control you, and you are rationalizing it.

1. profile image0
                just_curiousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So, if he doesn't follow an' organized' religion he should forget God? What kind of reasoning is that? Are you a sheep that has to be in a herd? He has a better chance of finding Truth by reading the scriptures than following some minister with his own agenda.

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad236/bestrong2020/question-mark.jpg

1. profile image0

Reading the Bible does not mean I am being controlled by some organization. I'm not being controlled or brain washed or any of that. I read out of my own choice, my own free will. I decide what the things I read mean. I do not let other people tell me "this is what it's supposed to me." I don't agree with that. I believe we are meant to interpret the Bible the way we see fit. Not the way some one else does.

2. profile image0

Stated simply, the ripping of the veil outside of the Holy of Holies symbolized that the veil had been removed from over our understanding of God. Reading the scriptures and discerning for yourself is not beyond the grasp of anyone. And much better than taking someone else's word for it. Organized religion boils down to power over people. That has nothing to do with understanding God, and many times hinders your search.

2. getitrite profile image72

First of all, Why did you respond to my comment with this statement?  You created a strawman, then proceeded to answer the strawman's question, not mine.

I'd like you to go back and read my post, and confirm that I said anything close to that.

Another question to your strawman, nothing to do with me.

Not really.  If he reads the bible with the assumption(already) that it is the word of God, then he is not much better off.

1. profile image0

Well, that was much better. I thought your picture was of a mime. As to your answer, sorry you feel that way. Or do you really? That's the ongoing mystery.

2. inksam profile image59
          inksamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely... The Bible is the Word of God.

1. Cagsil profile image70
            Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol lol Interesting statement. You must be new. wink

1. profile image0
              klarawieckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Cags, you're back!!! smile

3. ediggity profile image60
      ediggityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Do you think of God as the creator?

1. inksam profile image59
        inksamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely.

4. qwark profile image60
      qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You must define this "god" thing you believe in before anyone can reply with a "credible" response.
      Tell me what "it" is you believe in and I'll try to answer your question.
      TY
      Qwark

I'm sure you'll have to put him on the pile with the rest, qwark.

1. qwark profile image60

Getit:
          lol...many of the "select" have been "chosen!" He may be on his way...smile:
          Qwark

Isn't it amazing how these people, boldly, make these assertions, then when asked for some validation, they immediately start feverishly back paddling, while throwing angry childish nonsensical irrelevant comments.

This shows a complete lack of credibility, and an unwillingness to man up when ones premise is proven to be a farce.

1. qwark profile image60

Getit:
              Yep!
              That's why I find 'em so entertaining. They do exactly what I expect.
              I'm always chuckling under-my-breath as I respond to 'em.
              I haven't found one of 'em that "tapdances" well yet.   smile:
              I never try to "prove" them to be farcical. I just offer them logic and reason and watch as they do a "marvelous" backstroke.
              smile:
              Qwark

2. profile image0

This is just a simple question. No need to define anything, I'm asking of every one else's beliefs, not my own.

1. qwark profile image60

Yes, it is a "simple" question.
          Since the word "god" can only be defined in terms of opinion.
          I can only consider it as such: an opinion.
          I don't waste any time considering opinions in ref. to "it."
          If I did, I would consider it to be an absurd waste of my time.
          Thanks for the response...smile:
          Qwark

1. profile image0

Well, if it is a waste of time, why bother wasting your time on such forums? (:

1. qwark profile image60

Travis:
              Responding to simple questions like yours is entertaining while my "front loader" is doing my wash.
              Qwark  smile:

5. profile image51
      paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I do believe in the Creator-God whom Jesus used to call God-the-Father; Jesus was neither a god nor a son of god.

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

And people wonder why the world is going to hell in a hand-basket. Too many selfish people in the world. hmm

3. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

Jerami love metaphor.  With respect - unfortunately they don't apply effectively to religion.

= = = = = =

Why do they not ?
    - = - = - = ===============================
    Jerami - You don't adhere to any organized religion.  Ok.  So how do you follow God?  How do you know what to follow?
    - - - - - -

I don't know; ?   maybe God wrote his laws within my conciousness.   I didn't know how to read them as well when my harmones were rageing like a bull, 
        My eyes are failing me now,  I wear glasses,  but I think that I am reading the handwritting on the wall much better now than before.

I can only figure out, to the best of my ability, that which I think is the right thing to do.  Then do the best that I can do to follow that reasoning.

That's why I mentioned before, Jerami, that you somehow knew everything there was to know about Jesus and that knowledge was confirmed by the bible.

Of course, you most likely got all your beliefs from your childhood indoctrination, from the bible, from a religion. smile

1. profile image0

The Bible is not a religion. You do not need a religion to read the Bible.

Ah, there you are. I had responded to one of your posts asking you to substantiate your extraordinary claims, but you seemed to have disappeared and have now resurfaced here. Strange that.

I would agree you don't need to have a religion to read the bible, or the quran, or any other holy book.

But, if you follow the bible, what god are you promoting? If you follow the quran, what god are you promoting?

Religion is the belief in the supernatural, a category into which gods fall. If you follow a particular holy book thus following that particular god, you got a religion, baby. smile

1. profile image0

Well, the way you explain it makes sense I would say. But I believe the definitions we are going off of are different. The thing I'm talking about is organized religion, man made religion. That I do not agree with. I do not follow it. I follow my heart, my own beliefs. If you want to go by man's definition of religion, then yeah, sure I have a religion. But otherwise, I do not say I belong to any religion.

2. Jerami profile image58

That's why I mentioned before, Jerami, that you somehow knew everything there was to know about Jesus and that knowledge was confirmed by the bible.
        = - = - =  ??- = - =  !!

No one knows everything. 
          Some of what I do know was confirmed by the bible,  that much is correct.

===========================================

Of course, you most likely got all your beliefs from your childhood indoctrination, from the bible, from a religion.

- - - - = = = = =

NO! I wouldn't agree with that supposition either.

I would say that from reading scriptures, believing to know those things that I already knew; I "MAY" have developed a different perception than many people that I have met.

In fact I have received very little formal teachings from churches.

I was totally  surprised when I found out what was being taught;  supposedly from the scriptures.

4. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

I have a puppy running around in my back yard.  It just runs around looking for anything standing to chew it down or pee on it.  Then it digs a hole.
       Next time it climbs the fence to get out, IF the dog catcher catches it,   he can keep it.

I hope I never irritate God like that.  If I do, who's fault is it if he lets me stay in the hole that I have dug for myself.

5. profile image0
    just_curiousposted 13 years ago

The Bible says something to the  effect that God put a knowledge of Himself in all men. I'm religious, i see the logic in Christianity, but I don't follow the organized Church. I try to follow the teachings of the Bible.

1. profile image0

Very much agreed! (:

And you both fail to realize you've been duped. How ironic?

1. profile image0

Not at all cagsil. Had we chosen to believe what PEOPLE tell us, then yeah, I'd agree with you. If you interpret it your own way, then how is it you are? Other than possibly fooling yourself...which I'd much rather fool myself, than believe what others have to tell me.

You've failed yourself then. Apparently you've not paid close enough attention to yourself, much less other people. It is abundantly clear you've been duped to believe in a god.

Yet, fail to realize that Jesus from your own bible despised religion. Religion is the god concept and Jesus wanted nothing to do with it. YOU guiding yourself, through honest thoughts and actions, having love and compassion, for those who do not know how to do it.

It's pathetic that so many people continue to assign a real identity, to something that is clearly not real.

Jesus spoke about 'god' within people. The only thing IN you, is YOU.

1. profile image0

No I did not fail to realize that. I can see that what I'm trying to explain does not make sense. If I could explain it better I would. However, I will admit, I'm young and still learning myself. But what you point out about Jesus, I mentioned, not directly of course. I believe my words were "God did not create religion, man did." I understand that is not directly what you say, but it is addressing the issue. This is why I do not follow any religion. I follow what I myself have learned, discovered, experienced, and believe.

1. profile image0

You follow your heart. Can't go wrong with that.

2. Cagsil profile image70

No religion made up the "god" concept. Why did the god concept come into being? Because, it was noticed that humanity, the species, needed to be controlled and made to answer a higher authority, otherwise there would be chaos.

Since people easily believed in a higher power and most commonly failed to understand their own life, making them completely unpredictable, they are more easily handled.

Religion is nothing but a hoax. The hoax is the god concept, for which, Jesus recognized during his time. Rulers then, found him a threat, because he denounced religion and it's god concept.

His message is as I said. Self mastery- control your thoughts, control your actions- love yourself first and foremost, then have compassion for those who don't know any better. That is Jesus' "god" concept. Not some imagined entity/spirit.

2. profile image0

Although I admire your thoughts on self awareness I would disagree with your conclusions on God and Jesus. Failure to have experienced anything in your own life to assure you of their presence does not negate the experiences of other individuals. An open mind guides one who is truly aware.

6. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

I believe in God, but I'm not a big fan of organized religion. My feelings on the subject are similar to Blake's. And Emily Dickinson's.

7. Randy Godwin profile image58
    Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago

There are literally thousands of gods to choose from!  Have you heard about Stoogism?  There is a book about this too! smile

1. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That cult is a little too judmental for me.

1. Randy Godwin profile image58
        Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We do not judge, we fudge!  cool

1. habee profile image92

I didn't know you were such a fan of "fudge"! lol

I'll take some if anyone wants to send some lol

1. habee profile image92

Wish I'd known that at Christmas, Ray! We overrunneth with fudge then! lol

Sure, in the Book of Curly it says-"Fudge not, lest ye eat fudge." smile

1. profile image0

I like fudge.

8. profile image0
    just_curiousposted 13 years ago

Hey everybody. Beware the false Stooge gods and their crazy prophet.

I am inspired by the word of Moe!  Woop, woop, woop, brothers and sisters!  lol

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
        Castlepalomaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Moe was my God as a kid.

9. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 13 years ago

Easy boys... easy! smile

10. getitrite profile image72
    getitriteposted 13 years ago

By the way, just-curious, this was my original post:

"Why not just stop half-stepping and throw the whole bible out?  You are still allowing them to control you, and you are rationalizing it."

1. profile image0

Not to belabor a point, but wouldn't that be like throwing the baby out with the bath water? I say Church is suspect. God is good.

But by using the bible, you are asserting that your deity is the only source to look for God.  I would think that an omniscient, all powerful creator would not confine himself to the pages of a book.  That kind of thinking is due to indoctrination.

To look for the truth, I think that by using the same source of the people that you disagree with--to find the truth--is absurd. 

It's like a child getting angry with his parent, and threatening to move out, then camping out on the porch.

1. profile image0

I would disagree with that. I agree with what I think you are saying, that there are many ways to find God (for those of us who believe). And there is the danger of falling into the trap of religious dogma if you limit yourself to one way. I don't fear that and I do think it is entirely possible to find out what you need to understand God's desire to have a relationship with man from what I believe to be the Holy Scriptures, without joining the cult of organized religion. Just as I believe there are other ways to find Him.

Which God?

This is what I'm talking about.  Here, you are stating something that you have merely taken from the imagination of others.  Please prove first that there is a God, then, prove that He is a He, then prove that He desires to have a personal relation with us.  And can you do it without using the same book that "religious" people use too control others?

And you beleive this based upon what proof?

1. profile image0

Getitrite, I understand where you are coming from, but it would be impossible to converse on this because ee have to start from a common ground. You state there is no God  I state there is.if we can't agree on the first premise, then whatever argument I presented would be bogus in your eyes. And I was just starting to enjoy taking to you. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. And just so you know, had no one told me of God, and if there were no scriptures to study I know, in my heart, that He would still have made his presence known to me. I's the open mind thing I guess.

The most logical thing you have said all day, but I really doubt that you have an open mind. lol  But keep believing what you want.  It's your right, whether delusional or not.

1. profile image0

Oh,i knew you would come back with something unkind. But I know you don't really believe that, so I'll take it in stride.

2. Castlepaloma profile image76

Funny getitrite

Hey curious, you agreed with me on my middle grounds approach in life and it was some what how you fell about things.

Allah wants all of you and Yahweh is the be all and end all

Are middle grounds for a Christian, like being in the middle of the road where you can get run over?

1. profile image0

Maybe, but I think the Christians like me stay alive because we stay out of church, so the organized religions  just figure we're atheists too. I can't get run over though. I dodge traffic pretty well.

As soon as I say, everyone is God, many atheists tell me I'm religious.

When I say to an atheist, I do not believe in a personal God or supernatural God, atheists they tell I'm an atheist.

Most Christian ignore me moreso because I do not think jesus is the only way to God, even when I say, I fell mystic about Jesus, you seem to be open enough to the idea.

1. the pink umbrella profile image74
                the pink umbrellaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Um, what most people do not understand is that god is in us, and all around us. We chose to worship the messenger. And why does "god" have to be located anywhere? like, he doesnt have to be a man in the sky. He can be all twisted up in who we are, and what we are capapble of. I just....dont get the old school die hard beliefs...i just dont.

It Kind of makes us and mixes us up into an over ego world. With good sense this world will move slowly towards a spiritual age, it's what I sense anyways, how about you pink?

1. profile image0

That spiritual age is what this generation is already considered. According to the "experts" or in other words the scientists.

2. profile image0
                    china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In China - the new art is moving toward an interest in spiritual values to counterbalance the ascendency of commercial values with the economic renaissance.  This renewed interest is about spiritual values rather than a move toward religion and is invariably linked with a heightened focus on humanistic values in society.

11. profile image49
    Timothieyposted 13 years ago

I doesn't believe in god, Because god doesn't do good for me any time in my life.
    http://hcgactivator.org

1. profile image0

I feel the same way about Fema and the Patriot act, but people keep telling me they're real. I don't know,i still don't see it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)