If you could be from another country...

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 13 years ago

have you ever wished you were French but were born German?
    i don't mean to be political and you could become a citizen but did you ever wish to be another nationality ,culture or speak another language other than your own?

1. emievil profile image67
      emievilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nope. Sorry, I don't want to be from another country. As bad as our economy is and as bad a reputation we sometimes have, I just can't see myself being a citizen of another country.

But I don't mind learning another language - Japanese, Spanish and French are at the top of the languages I would like to learn smile.

2. profile image0
      Travis_S_Musicposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've always dreamed of being from a place like Ireland or Germany. I am of German and Irish decent, but to actually have been from one of the two would have been nice in my opinion. I don't know why. I just like the idea of it.

2. shynsly profile image61
    shynslyposted 13 years ago

Being from the U.S., I didn't until recently. I consider myself very patriotic and used to love everything I understood us to be. Everything from a world leader and most charitable nation, as well as a "melting pot", to our indominable "cowboy" spirit.

Yes, most of the rest of the world hated or missunderstood us, as our culture was not passivist, or "sheepish" to be downright rude about it, but that was fine with me, too.

These days, I can't seem to tell one way or the other WTH we are or aren't anymore. Political Correctness has taken a firm hold at the cost of our culture, political devision has literally split us in half, the traditional "American Dream" has been deemed to be evil (along with anyone who has the audacity to still believe in it), we've sold our souls to finance China's industrial revolution at the cost of our own prosperity, our education system is a joke, freedom and liberty are happily being traded for the "right" to abstain from any form of personal responsibility, on and on and on and on.

So, I guess I want to be from Australia.

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That sounds just like Britain!

Australia isn't perfect though, they are being investigated for high levels of censorship and Rupert Murdoch is Australian!

1. shynsly profile image61
        shynslyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...point taken, lol.

2. travelespresso profile image69
        travelespressoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

and....they slavishly follow the US everywhere!

3. Tina Kachan profile image60
    Tina Kachanposted 13 years ago

I wish to be from Italy, so that I can speak the language as I do my own, I love Italian language big_smile

4. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

When you belong to a certain culture or nationality you either feel proud or feel ashamed if your culture or nationality were in a habit of dominating and discriminating and even killing  other nationalities and cultures. I was born and lived in USSR. That was my "culture", that was my "nationality". Should I say more? I wish I were born in other system, to be Spanish or Danish or Norvegian or French with old established roots and traditions of my own culture. i wish I did not have to be cosmopolitan. I live in Canada but I am not Canadian, I don't feel like it.

1. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hmm.  I feel bad to see your post here.  Really - you should feel proud of, and happy with, your own nationality.  Just the fact that you don't approve of things the government did shows you aren't/weren't "the USSR government" - none of us is our government, no matter what country we're from.  A culture is so much more than a government.

I don't know you, of course, but I hope you find a way to see the good in the culture (history, arts, music, customs, etc. - not particularly the former USSR government) of your origin, and see the good in your present country - and feel good about both, and about who you are.  (For what it's worth, when my kids were little we had a neighbor with family from Russia.  She shared all kinds of things about Russia and her culture with my son, and because my daughter ended up knowing about those things, she developed an interest in Russia, and she was only three or four.  Something my little American daughter particularly treasured were the traditional nesting dolls she'd found in a magazine and asked me to get for her.    (So, none of us ever knows who, in any country, may be learning about our culture and enjoying one thing or another associated with it.  smile  )    (I'm born and raised in America, and I know that, in ways, I'm about as American as anyone can be.  Still, I have to say that these days I'm not always feeling like I fit in very well either, in a lot of ways; but those are gripes for another thread sometime.  lol  )

5. Me, Steve Walters profile image79
    Me, Steve Waltersposted 13 years ago

Once your born in Texas...you don't ever have any greater place to wish for...on the Planet!
    http://www.laits.utexas.edu/txp_media/html/cons/features/0200_02/republic.gif

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good for you!

1. memoreton profile image62
        memoretonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm happy as I am, but if I had to be another nationality, I'd be Irish, cos I love the places I've visited, I love the accent, I love its celtic assosiations and I love  Saint Patrick.

6. guy1973 profile image55
    guy1973posted 13 years ago

I wish I was from uk. i have always wanted to settle there

7. blondepoet profile image67
    blondepoetposted 13 years ago

Maybe not another country but boy do I wish I were a fairy. You got to be careful when talking about fairies too, if you say you don't believe one drops dead. smile

1. profile image61
      logic,commonsenseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

BP, you are much better than a fairy, you are an angel!

8. KristenGrace profile image60
    KristenGraceposted 13 years ago

I love being from the USA, but if I were to answer just for fun, without giving it much thought, I'd say I'd enjoy being from Italy...

It all spirals back to food for me.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)