Are Your A Science Denier?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (50 posts)
  1. canadawest99 profile image60
    canadawest99posted 13 years ago

I see lots of people here giving thanks to god and jesus for everything in their life but never give any recognition to all the scientific advances that are really responsible for your lifestyle.   Its not god that brings water and electricity to your house every day, its the ingenuity of man that does that and he didn't have any help from a higher power.   It took us a millenia to evolve and learn about our environment and apply principles to better our lifestyle.

Some of you also deny evolution.  Evolution has been observed in a lab with micro-organisms who can readily adapt to be resistant to drugs within a few days.   The human genome project proved the rest when it found 60% of your DNA matches prehistoric fish and that 90%+ matches modern day apes.  In fact, we do not even have a lot more DNA than some of the simplest creatures on the planet like flies and mice.  You have some DNA that matches every living thing on the planet so we are all ancestors of something.   Scientists can even switch on some of these genes and cause animals to revert to previous forms.   Then there are the fossils which have been found everywhere.

I know its hard to accept that we are just semi-smart animals, but the evidence is overwhelming.

1. Beelzedad profile image59
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Your OP is honest and valid and will be just as easily dismissed by believers who will simply state that their god did all you say that man's ingenuity developed.

We are not humans, we are just meat-bag robots with divine programming inserted. smile

1. canadawest99 profile image60
        canadawest99posted 13 years agoin reply to this

The difference is that I just gave 3 examples of evidence that can be reproduced anytime.  Beleivers just keep going back to a 2000 year old book of someone's account.    That is not evidence because its not repeatable.

I would agree, but it will not stop a believer from simply dismissing those examples as gods work. smile

2. pennyofheaven profile image78
      pennyofheavenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If one does not believe God does not bring us water and electricity etc would depend entirely on ones level of understanding the nature of God. Limit this nature and you would be right. Since God is infinite and unlimited as all of existence demonstrates so well. What science and evolution give or do not give us is still in and of the God nature. Some people just don't like the word God. Evolve too is preferred to created. Ah well...So shall it be.

When we keep separating "what is" then all we will see is single minded points of view from our very limited view of a very vast universe.

2. Jerami profile image57
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

The facts discovered by science is the second hardest things to deny that I am aware of.
       Let me explain this like one of GrandPas metaphores.

Science has shown us many, many different things that we can do with a chickens egg.
       Multiple ways to cook it.
       Science use it to  grow micro-organisms.
       It is used in Mayonase and facials
       Science has discovered many uses and purposes.
       We can even glue a brocken cup back together.

But we can not deny that science did not create the egg.

1. Rishy Rich profile image72
      Rishy Richposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah all Thanks to the Chicken who created the egg big_smile .

1. Jerami profile image57
        Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

YES  All thanks to the Chicken  and lets not forget ...
        Not only the egg tastes good when fried ...  but it's moma as well.

2. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And yet we can destroy matter itself, turning it into energy via the A-bomb and nuclear reactors.

So much of our learning efforts throughout history have been geared to violence and how to kill more people easier - what would we know now had those efforts been turned to the biological sciences instead of destruction.  Instead of learning how to make a Trebuchet learn about germs hundreds of years before we actually did.  Instead of researching better ways to make a chemical explosive, work on how to combine and work with the chemicals in living organisms.

Considering the explosion of knowledge in the last hundred years or so, perhaps we could make an egg!

i am waiting for that day to come, who knows.

From what I have noticed, science seems to find all of its knowledge in nature.

By using oil we can create electricity from which we can turn on grow lights thereby simulating light from the sun, and grow vegetables underground.  Thus not needing the sun.
           But I wonder how many generations can  that bean plant  continue under those conditions before it looses its ability to reproduce,  Or looses its nutritional value.   

Everything that science does is an effort in simulating those things that have been discovered to be going on in nature.
        Except for the computer ?   Which makes me wonder where that technology first came from?

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
          Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Are you joking? The earth is one great big problem solving computer. wink

So you are saying that science also copied  this too from nature.
            I wanted to say that also, but felt like I couldn’t back that statement  up with proof so I declined.

Thank you or including that as well.  I do not dispute that fact.
            So we are in agreement then ?

Science is about understanding nature. The more we understand, the less we need a god to be involved in the process and the more we can "create." I accept what science discovers to greater or lesser degrees based on how much evidence has been uncovered and how well I understand the issue. Some of these discoveries are useful, some not that I can obviously see, some of them are "positive," some of them are "destructive," and some I do not understand. Just like nature.

Just exactly what do you think could possibly exist that is not part of nature?

Now, if that ain't a good thread topic starter to open up a can o' worms... smile

God, heaven, Satan, angels, hell.  By definition they are all extra-universal and thereby not part of nature, and the probability of their existence while very low is still non-zero.

Many people harbor the delusion that man himself is not part of nature, nor are his works.

More seriously, some of the trans-uranium elements have only been created in a lab, and last for such an exceedingly short period of time that the probability of finding them in nature is low indeed.  The same can be said for some molecules.

3. Jerami profile image57

As I was getting ready to wlk out the door, I saw this post, and didn't want you to have to wait for an answer.

Thought, love, hate, inteligence, dreams ; science hasn't touched this realm.  They just don't seem to be able to get their hands on so many things that I can't even think of them all.

Totally wrong and completely misinformed.

We can see that. smile

Computers ultimately come from electrons moving in conductors and semi-conductors.  Pretty much the same way it moves in the nerves of our bodies.

You are correct that science emulates and expands on nature.  That is what science is all about - understanding nature, then using that understanding in a way that directly benefits us.

I find myself agreing a lot this AM.

You are absolutely correct.

3. Rafini profile image83
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

Scientists can even switch on some of these genes and cause animals to revert to previous forms

This is news to me - kinda scary, too.  When are scientists going to try it on humans?

4. Jerami profile image57
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

Well I've got things to go,
      and people to do
      and places to come see.

see Ya later.

5. profile image0
    just_curiousposted 13 years ago

I do not deny science. Our ability to imagine is our greatest asset. I am a believer who believes that it is not only our duty, but our right to explore the world, learn all that we can. Just because I believe in God doesn't mean that I can't see the nose on my face. I just don't see where science and belief are mutually exclusive, or why it is considered by some to be crazy because I can't see this. Science is good. you are right. All the physical benefits of modern society are available to us almost exclusively through science.

Awesome! Good for you. Science says we evolved and were not created, and there is no need for a god. Glad you agree!

Welcome to the free thinkers and open minded ones. big_smile

1. profile image0
        just_curiousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Silly man. I can still believe in God. I have no problem with  the idea of evolution, with all but the line of Adam. Who cares if some of our ancestors evolved from apes? It goes a long way in explaining our behavior.

Ah - so you know more than the entire scientific community, which does not recognize any such "line." Good for you. Where do you teach?

1. profile image0

On Hub Pages. But it's a knuckle headed bunch I have to work with. They're so set in their beliefs. LOL. It's my belief. Where would science be if they didn't believe something to be true, only to set out to prove it? I'm taking the easy road. I'm waiting to see when science proves there is a God. They're doing a grand job of moving in the right direction. But I promise, if it happens in our lifetime I wrong be among the gloaters. I find that so distasteful.

Ah - I see. You think you are teaching here?

Well - thanks for validating my opinion about religionists such as yourself. I guess that is a form of teaching.

Sorry you are so scared of science. I understand why you are so angry and go against the bible's instructions. I would be angry too if I believed the nonsense you do. I would probably ignore what the bible says to do as well.

How open minded of you. LOL

ciao

1. profile image0

Angry? Let me type this very slowly.  I    am   not   angry. the part about teaching was a joke. Sheesh. Lighten up. I thought what you said was very funny. I got your joke.

2. Beelzedad profile image59

If you believe it your duty to "learn all that we can" why haven't you taken the time to learn about evolution? smile

What makes then so dishonest do you think? I have come to the conclusion that they are not actually aware of what they are doing.

I suspect that they have had to close off a certain portion of their brains to prevent themselves from seeing how untenable their beliefs are.

They think they are asking questions to learn when in fact they immediately prove other wise. I mean - when this one says "not only our duty, but our right to explore the world, learn all that we can" it seems to mean "I already know goddunit - I want to prove that I am right and don't want to actually hear any facts."

This - I think - is the root cause of the conflicts they cause.

Thoughts?

2. profile image0

There you go, cubbyholing people again. I would venture to say my grasp on the concept matches yours. The fact that I may deviate in some ways from your conclusions doesn't make either of us right. It means there are still unanswered questions. By some of the posts in this place, I wonder why we still have science. Apparently there are a few that already have all the answers. I just don't trust anyone enough to open up and let them shove them down my throat, but hey thats's just me.

Hardly, considering men never evolved from apes. smile

1. profile image0

Really? I guess you know more on the subject than I do. I thought that was part of the theory of evolution. So what are you saying, maybe sheep? I can see some empirical evidence for that among some atheists that can't think outside of the party line, same for some fundamentalists, but I wouldn't jump to that conclusion because of that.

Nope. Men and apes evolved from a common ancestor, which was neither ape or man. smile

1. profile image0

Oh. Yes, ok. I stand corrected. Kind of nit picky there, but right. Thank you.

2. Castlepaloma profile image75
        Castlepalomaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Funny how one harded wired maybe can jump and switch over to another form of harded wired.

Something to learn from both, anyways.

6. Woman Of Courage profile image60
    Woman Of Courageposted 13 years ago

No, I am not a Science Denier. I thank God for it! God is the true source of Science.

7. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

Speaking of evolution, as I understand it, there is a theory that due to our current excessive digestion of sugar, mankind may one day evolve into a creature better able to handle larger consumption on the sweet, sweet white powder.

When my doctor told me i was morbidly obese, I told him to go to hell and that I was just advanced in evolutionary terms

8. profile image50
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Are Your A Science Denier?

No, I am not; I respect science and the scientists. Science or nature or Universe is the Work of the Creator-God; and the truthful Revelation form Him on the messengers prophest is the Word of the Creator-God; both should be understood correctly.

1. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would love for you to back that up, but don't expect you to. lol

1. profile image50
        paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What backing you need? Please.

1. Cagsil profile image71
          Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Your statement. I thought that would be obvious, without explanation. WOW! roll

2. profile image50
      paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this
  9. Mikeydoes profile image44
    Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

The only thing that upsets me about the very religious is.. Sometimes they give God all the credit, and not near enough to themselves.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)