How do you make coleslaw??

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Christy Goff profile image61
    Christy Goffposted 13 years ago

MY husband and I don't like the traditional coleslaw that is made with mayo.  Does anyone have any recipes that has a sweet vinegar taste?

1. nahamuah profile image60
      nahamuahposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Here is a recipe from Bobby Flay: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobb … index.html

You can make a dressing using 1) rice vinegar, lime or lemon juice; 2) tbspn of dijon mustard, 3) garlic clove -- crushed; 4) olive oil; 5) sugar or honey; 6) pinch of salt; 7) freshly ground peppercorns. Whisk dressing  and pour over the vegetable mix.

Vegetable mix for a nontraditional coleslaw: julienne the following --
      1) regular cabbage or Napa cabbage; 2) peelapples -- Fuji, Braeburn, Gala or Honeycrisp; 3) fennel; 4) celery.

Enjoy!.

1. nahamuah profile image60
        nahamuahposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You can add some golden raisins too. I recall Bobby Flay or another chef making a similar "white coleslaw". I will post the recipe when I find it.

2. dutchman1951 profile image60
        dutchman1951posted 12 years agoin reply to this

nah, that sounds delicious

2. Pollyannalana profile image60
      Pollyannalanaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We make slaw with light mayo and very little, you can add bit of skim milk if you like, vinegar and sugar or splenda and Italian herbs if you like. Another type is chunkier and is cabbage and celery roughly chopped, thin sliced carrot with about 1/2 cup vinegar to small head of cabbage with drizzled EVOO over top and stirred in, also red cabbage added if you like and this will last about three days and not good unless it sets a few hours. Before you eat it you can add cucumbers, onions, red onions, garlic, just anything you like, I even add apples diced sometimes, it is delicious but these last ingredients taste wilted if you leave them the whole time with the cabbage so it is much better fresh. I have used this on a lose weight diet and it is just very good for you either way and the second is not as good for say hot dogs but great every other way or you could it it separate with hot dog and takes no mayo but make sure to use extra virgin olive oil. (Italians do not have heart trouble like rest of the world because of Olive oil I have been told. Probably 3 to 4 tablespoons fix to your taste. I drown this with Italian herbs and even the fruity ones. This is beautiful served on lettuce leaves or you can chop lettuce to add to it before you eat it while fresh and crunchy. If you try it you will probably think of your own likes to add.

3. safiq ali patel profile image67
      safiq ali patelposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Chop and shred the vegetables in the usual way. Mix veg in bowl. Add viniger and and yohurt and spoonful of low calorie sweetner. Mix the veg with the yoghurt and vinegar and serve. If wanting more creamier flavours add low fat fromage frais and spices or seasonings of your choosing. Herbs will help enhance flavour.

2. lrohner profile image67
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

Here ya go: http://makeaheadmeals.blogspot.com/2008 … -slaw.html

This uses vinegar and a host of spices instead of mayo, and it can be made well ahead of time.

Christy Goffposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, that looks really good, gotta try it.

3. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

I sometimes use a mixture of Ranch dressing, vinegar, spices, herbs, and Splenda.

4. mythbuster profile image72
    mythbusterposted 13 years ago

I go over to the KFC, stand in line for a minute or so, order some coleslaw, pay for it, then take it home, dump the KFC coleslaw in a bowl, put the bowl in my fridge, put the KFC container and bag into the garbage, take the garbage out and wait to serve my coleslaw that tastes astoundingly like the kind made with Col. Sanders' secret recipe.

smile

Christy Goffposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Great idea, but it has the mayo in it, if you know another place that doesn't have mayo in it and it taste's amazing, then I will go with your way and buy it and throw away the containers.  But I do love KFC chicken and mashed potato's.

1. qwark profile image59
        qwarkposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Christy:
        I use unflavored fresh yogurt instead of mayo.
        Add a little balsamic or apple vinegar ( I prefer balsamic) to taste.
        Some "dill" seeds and I like finely shredded carrot.
        I use no salt or pepper or sugar.
        I like my coleslaw with a "tang."
        Qwark

PS 'Course I'm a health nut! smile:
        ...I call it KISS (keep it simple stupid) coleslaw

5. Lady Rose profile image73
    Lady Roseposted 13 years ago

My kids used to love it when i shreded carrot and cabbage and made a salad dressing with honey, vinegar and salt. You mix it till it turns into a light paste and stirr it well with the salad. I usually added some raisins. That was a treat for all my family.

6. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

I made some last night with blackberry-ginger balsamic vinegar and just a little may. It was great!

7. Just Ask Susan profile image90
    Just Ask Susanposted 13 years ago

I make my coleslaw dressing with olive oil, white vinegar, garlic powder, sea salt, ground pepper, and about 1/2 tsp of sugar.

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think this one is the best. Cabbage does not need mayo, with vinegar it will release lots of juice and will be even better tasting tomorrow.

8. fetty profile image65
    fettyposted 12 years ago

You can take plain white vinegar, add three tablespoons of sugar and a dash of lemon and whisk this mixture together in a small bowl. I shred my coleslaw and add chopped sweet green peppers, a handful of celery (two stalks ) some onion or not and about 1/2 to 1 cup of shredded carrots to add to the sweetness.

I love KFC cole slaw as well and I have used this mixture on cucumbers but never cole slaw. So hope it works. I understand how too much mayo can get old fast.

9. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

I have learned a lot here.

At first I thought the answer might be to find a cole then slaw it. smile

10. eatlikenoone profile image61
    eatlikenooneposted 12 years ago

This conversation makes me realize why I don't like cole slaw. It's the mayo. Can't stand mayo. I would give an non-mayo version a chance.

11. Bill Yovino profile image86
    Bill Yovinoposted 12 years ago

I'm not a fan of sweet or over-dressed coleslaw. This recipe is on the tart side, and goes great with grilled or barbequed foods that have sweetness to them. I make the dressing first:

1 tablespoon of Mayonnaise.
    1 tablespoon of Sour Cream
    1 tablespoon of mustard (I like brown mustard)
    1 tablespoon of vinegar.
    1/2 teaspoon of celery seeds. (more if you like)
    salt and pepper to taste

Whisk together in a large bowl.
    Add shredded cabbage and shredded carrot.
    Mix well.

If you're going to make this a day ahead, you'll need to add a little sugar before serving, because it will get bitter over night. If I'm going to serve it right away, I don't add any sugar.

I think I'll make a hub about this. Thanks for the idea.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)