just had to leave my doggy with friends for two weeks...

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)
  1. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

Isn't it just so hard? I could have cried. We get too attached
    To them and I am having a hard time trying to convince myself
    That she  won't feel abandoned.

Does it get easier the next time?

1. frogdropping profile image78
      frogdroppingposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No. Sorry Ryan - it doesn't. Boo is not my first dog and I've hated leaving every one. I was the same with my cats. Sad but true - I always nipped a couple of days off my holidays to get home and see my 'guys' were all well.

They will feel confused. I'm being totally honest. Dogs (and cats) don't think like us - but they will handle it. Why do you think that when you return they almost turn inside out with pleasure?

Every time you leave Coco she never knows if you're coming back. That's how it is with dogs. So look at it like that. She may not know but you do - and I'm sure you've left her home a day, a few hours etc.

Enjoy your holiday knowing she's well cared for. And look forward to the return party smile

2. lorlie6 profile image72
    lorlie6posted 13 years ago

Hey Ryankett-If you're half as neurotic as I, there's one thing that can help.  If you have an answering machine that takes messages at home, call daily, knowing your dog can hear your voice. 'Tis good for you and for pup!

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not sure if I will do the answer phone thing, think I would feel
      A bit sad and I wouldn't want my friends calling the men in white
      Coats!

1. PegCole17 profile image93
        PegCole17posted 13 years agoin reply to this

So difficult to leave them for even a short while. We recently vacationed and while my brother looked after our fur children we called every night. He would put the phone on speaker and the dogs would tilt their heads when hearing our voices. Oh, what we won't do for our pets.

3. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

Lol, didn't make me feel any better at all frog but I do appreciate
    Your honesty!

Just so long as she is pleased to see me when I am back I will
    Take that, I just need to harden up, us dog lovers are suckers.

1. frogdropping profile image78
      frogdroppingposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We are smile Honest - she'll be fine. She will miss you, that's for sure.

At least you won't get the phone call I had one year. One of my cats was so cheesed off he buggered off. I found out 10 days in when a vet called me (six miles from where I lived) and said that Sully had wandered in, injured, worse for wear and could I call by, sanction his treatment and say hello to him. I was 250 miles away.

He was chipped by the way - that's how they knew his name, his owner etc. And yes - he really did walk into a vets over in Dewsbury. Presumably he was fed up, hungry and wanted to go home the easy way.

4. Dink96 profile image60
    Dink96posted 13 years ago

I completely understand.  Our pets are our "kids" if you will.  I used to be so sad when we'd leave that I'd tell our sitters that I'd call that night.  I always felt better after that call.  Then I could enjoy my vacation.  Of course we had wonderful pet/house sitters who loved our animals as much as we did and spoiled them rotten!

One of our "mutts" moped around all day yesterday b/c my husband was gone.  Today he's as happy as a clam b/c the old man is around the house.  All is right in his canine world.  Oh, if our lives were so simple and grand!

I think a lot of us understand what you're going through.  We'll send positive energy your and your pets' direction and hope for a happy reunion very soon.

5. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

There's a very cool dog toy that I always used for my dogs when I went away. It's a hard plastic ball with a recording device inside. You record your voice on it, and then when your dog moves the ball, it plays whatever you recorded. I don't know if it comforts them or stymies them, but it sure keeps them occupied! smile

Coco will be fine. Just think of it as a vacation for her a well!

1. Dink96 profile image60
      Dink96posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Where did you find that dog toy and do you know what it's called?  Great invention!

1. lrohner profile image68
        lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just click on the link -- I hyperlinked the words "very cool dog toy."

6. Bard of Ely profile image78
    Bard of Elyposted 13 years ago

I hate leaving my cat and have only done so four times in six years and I left her with women friends who came to look after my apartment as well as my cat while I was away. Because Tiggy got to know them (each friend has done this twice) it was easier knowing that. It is very difficult though and I have turned down great offers including festivals in the UK because I had no one to look after my animal companion.

7. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89
    mistyhorizon2003posted 13 years ago

I often look after friends dogs when they go away, most recently a really cute Jack Russell cross breed. I have to say that although in every case the dogs have come from excellent homes, they never seemed to miss their owners at all, no pining, no loss of appetite, still all waggy tailed, no crying etc etc. In fact in all cases they seemed a little torn between going back into their owners houses or running back into our house or car instead. Perhaps we just spoil them too much smile I suppose not all dogs are going to be the same though.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)