What exactly is a homophobic?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Rastamermaid profile image65
    Rastamermaidposted 13 years ago

I need some clarication,I feel that I am liberal more than most.

On The Real Housewives of DC I was confused by the attitude that Paul Wharton when some of his friends weren't for same sex marriages to be recognized the same as traditional marriages.

Does that make you a homophobe?

I feel that love is where you find it,that's personal and not my business how you live your life,but I wish you happiness whatever you chose.
    But I too feel that tradtional marriage and same sex marriage should not be recognized the same way.
    Does that make me a homophobe?
    I also feel that illegal immigrants should not not be intitled to social security benefits.
    Does that make me a racist?

I just need some clarification can someone help me out?
    http://s3.hubimg.com/u/4417746_f248.jpg

1. Susana S profile image91
      Susana Sposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't think that makes you homophobic, maybe a little stuck in the past. Marriage is a legal document and nothing to do with god for a great many people ie: all the heterosexual couples who have non religious marriages are not getting married under the eyes of god - they are getting married in the eyes of the state. That's what same sex couples want and I can't see any reason to deny them that.

Marriage is not all about making babies either. Plenty of people get married and decide not to have children or can't have them - that doesn't make their marriage any less valid.

Rastamermaidposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Okay I'll take part of that,yes I maybe conservative at little stuck in the past,old fashioned when it comes to marriage being the holy matrimony thought that fell under the eyes of God.

But I know babies don't make a marriage some people marry because not wanting children is the commonality.

2. Stump Parrish profile image61
      Stump Parrishposted 13 years agoin reply to this

to be honest I wasn't exactly sure myself as I had never bothered to check myself. Imagine my suprise to learn that Americans were using another word wrong, lol.

HOMOPHOBIC

Some object to this word—arguing that it literally means “man-fearing,” but the “homo” in “homosexual” and in this word does not refer to the Latin word for “man,” but is derived from a Greek root meaning “same” while the “-phobic” means literally “having a fear of,” but in English has come to mean “hating.” “Homophobic” is now an established term for “prejudiced against homosexuals.”

http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/homophobic.html

HomophobiaFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homophobia

Homophobia is a range of negative attitudes and feelings towards lesbian, gay, bisexual, and in some cases transgender and intersex people. Definitions refer variably to antipathy, contempt, prejudice, aversion, and irrational fear.[1][2][3] Homophobia is observable in critical and hostile behavior such as discrimination[1][2] and violence on the basis of a perceived non-heterosexual orientation. In a 1998 address, author, activist, and civil rights leader Coretta Scott King stated that "Homophobia is like racism and anti-Semitism and other forms of bigotry in that it seeks to dehumanize a large group of people, to deny their humanity, their dignity and personhood."[4]

Among more discussed forms are institutionalized homophobia (e.g. religious and state-sponsored[5]), lesbophobia – the intersection of homophobia and sexism directed against lesbians, and internalized homophobia – a form of homophobia among people who experience same-sex attraction regardless of whether or not they identify as LGBT.

3. Stump Parrish profile image61

To be honest I wasn't sure myself as I had never looked the word up. Imagine my suprise when I discovered that America is using another word incorrectly, Who would have thunk it?

HOMOPHOBIC

Some object to this word—arguing that it literally means “man-fearing,” but the “homo” in “homosexual” and in this word does not refer to the Latin word for “man,” but is derived from a Greek root meaning “same” while the “-phobic” means literally “having a fear of,” but in English has come to mean “hating.” “Homophobic” is now an established term for “prejudiced against homosexuals.”

http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/homophobic.html

HomophobiaFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homophobia

Homophobia is a range of negative attitudes and feelings towards lesbian, gay, bisexual, and in some cases transgender and intersex people. Definitions refer variably to antipathy, contempt, prejudice, aversion, and irrational fear.[1][2][3] Homophobia is observable in critical and hostile behavior such as discrimination[1][2] and violence on the basis of a perceived non-heterosexual orientation. In a 1998 address, author, activist, and civil rights leader Coretta Scott King stated that "Homophobia is like racism and anti-Semitism and other forms of bigotry in that it seeks to dehumanize a large group of people, to deny their humanity, their dignity and personhood."[4]

Among more discussed forms are institutionalized homophobia (e.g. religious and state-sponsored[5]), lesbophobia – the intersection of homophobia and sexism directed against lesbians, and internalized homophobia – a form of homophobia among people who experience same-sex attraction regardless of whether or not they identify as LGBT.

Two words originate from homophobia: homophobic (adj.) and homophobe (n.). A person who displays homophobia or is thought to do so is decribed as being homophobic and labelled as a homophobe.

1. Stump Parrish profile image61

sry for the double post, it never showed up and I thought i had done something wrong, I am a man after all and this is to be expected, right?

2. lyndre profile image60
    lyndreposted 13 years ago

I don,t think there should be any differance in recognition of these marriages.

Marriage is a committment to share your life with someone you love and the sex of your partner should not matter.

Before the religious hoards jump in I am not talking about in the eyes of your god whoever that maybe.But in the eyes of the law.

I understand where you stand,but since I don't see it that way am I a homophobe?

I really need clarification and also to clear something up.

I think there should be a clarification marriage is a sacred bond between man a woman under the eyes of God.
      But I do believe in "life unions"  .Life unions were all the legalities are covered as far a wills,insurance.

You do have the right to love who you want and not worry if they're taken care of if something were to happen to you,they should be covered if listed on your health insurance.

I'm a spiritual person not a religious one,but there's a reason it takes a man and a woman to make a child,that's just the way it .

1. lyndre profile image60
        lyndreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don,t think you are homophobic.You just have your own beliefs in what marriage should be.

try this quick quiz I found

http://www.blogthings.com/areyouhomophobicquiz/.

Wow

Took the quiz said I was open minded and accepting and not homophobic

But gives me a 15% rating I'm 15% homophobic but I open minded accepting and not homophobic,,,,now I'm really confused!

LMAO

1. lyndre profile image60
            lyndreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I stole this quote from one of your hubs

Just make sure you’re always open to receiving and learning something new.

lol

3. kerryg profile image85
    kerrygposted 13 years ago

I agree with lyndre. Churches and other religious institutions should be free to decide for themselves whether or not they want to recognize gay marriage, but in a civil society like our own that is founded on principles of separation of church and state, heterosexual and homosexual marriages should be treated the same in the eyes of the law.

What is "traditional" marriage, anyway? Until 100 years ago in most Western countries, a wife was literally the property of her husband. Short of murder, he could do anything he wanted with her body and her property and she would have no recourse. That's "traditional" marriage, but I don't think very many of us would care to defend it.

4. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

What exactly is a homophobic? An ignorant person who claims superiority over others and has a distasteful attitude to boot.

5. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

The suffix "phobic" means afraid of.
    But I agree the modern meaning of homophobic goes beyond fear of gay people, it includes a range of negative feelings and actions against gay people.
    Is being 15% homophobic (per the quiz) the same as being "a little bit" pregnant?
    I was happy, but not at all surprised, to come out 0% homophobic.

6. dexixy profile image60
    dexixyposted 13 years ago

Yes that makes you homophobic in someway.
    But you are not a racist.

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why you brought up being racist? It's irrelevant to the entire conversation. Homosexuality cannot ever be a racial aspect. Nor can Homosexuality ever lead to racism.

7. Julie2 profile image61
    Julie2posted 13 years ago

I don't know why so many believe that marriage is such a sacred thing, that it is Holy and that it should done before God between a man and a woman. Give me a break! Why is it Holy when its heterosexuals? I see marriage as a union between two people (whomever they are) that want to share their lives together. It all depends on the people being married, what they believe in and where they want to get married.

If your stance is on not sharing the benefits heterosexuals usually get from being married with GLBT couples then that really does not make you a homophobe. Its just being a bit selfish.

I dont think its far for a Gay couple that has been together for over 20 years to not be able to get married. One eventually passes away and the partner does not stand a chance in receiving death benefits or even keep the home they shared all those years together leaving the partner in the street and penniless if they do not have money saved.

I have seen this happen to way to many GLBT's and it is sad and it just irritates me.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)