Thoughts on 48 Year Old Herschel Walker Wanting Back in the NFL?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)
  1. LakeShow T profile image73
    LakeShow Tposted 13 years ago

I am sure many have now come across this story by now on the internet or on television. I know there are hundreds of articles on the internet over the past few days on the subject.

What does everyone think? Walker is 48 years old (a star RB is usually just past their prime at around 30), but he also may be one of the best conditioned athletes in the world. He is also an MMA fighter right now. If you have seen him lately you can see he is in shape. He believes he can still play in the NFL and thrive. A year ago he stated that he believed that he could run a 4.3 40 yard dash at that time. He has recently said that he is in the best physical condition of his life and that he believes he is in better shape than most NFL players.

If he really is in the best shape of his life, then that is saying a lot. He is regarded as one of the greatest collegiate football players of all-time due in large part to his plethora of records and incredible physical attributes. Those same attributes made him an olympian who could have participated in multiple olympic sports.

He was so highly regarded that the Minnesota Vikings traded the Dallas Cowboys 3 Super Bowl trophies in the 90's just to acquire Walker for 2 and a half seasons. 

He thinks he can still help a team when he's 50. Is there any way this is possible. I know it sounds absolutely ridiculous and like a way to promote himself, but he does still look like he is in world-class shape and he knows how to play football.

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sure, why not.  If he can still play, and he's willing to, then sure.  Although I can't see this ending well to be honest.  On the one hand, I think it might work if he's still in great shape, but that might leave open the door for other ex retired football players to come back like Emmitt Smith, Dan Marino and many others.  Of course, I'm not saying those particular players would ever want to come back exactly, as i was just giving out an example.  Then on the other hand, there's a severe possibility he might get hurt or he might not be able to catch up with the younger players.  There's a reason players retire, as their bodies are no longer able to keep up with the younger generation.  Therefore, it'll be interesting to see how this turns out if he does get signed on by any nfl team.

LakeShow Tposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with a lot of that. The funny thing is that I think he could do it because he has proven to be good at everything he does and because of the condition he is in. But I also think that he is one of those people who craves attention because I know he has been on some reality shows, or at least the Celebrity Apprentice. Although not the same thing, just look at the attention Brett Favre received during his last few years in the NFL. If Walker did come back; make a team; and have any kind of role on a team, I think the media would soak it up like crazy. It does make for a fascinating story, although I do not think it would end well as Steven mentioned.

2. I am DB Cooper profile image63
    I am DB Cooperposted 13 years ago

I find it amazing that these older guys can stay in playing shape after all these years. I wrote a hub about Walker's daily workout and diet, and what he does with his body is absolutely amazing. 2000 sit ups a day. 1500 push ups a day. 500 or so chin ups for good measure. That's just his morning. After that, he skips breakfast and goes right into intense MMA training. In fact, he only eats one meal a day, and it's just bread and salad. Some days he even skips that meal, somehow (where does his body find calories to burn?).

And Walker isn't the only guy from his era waiting for an NFL team to call him. Some of you might remember Bears wide receiver Willie Gault. He's 50 years old and retired from the NFL 17 years ago. He can still run 200 meters in under 22 seconds, and 100 meters in under 11 seconds. A 40 yard dash of his that was clocked two years ago would be among the top 10 fastest in the NFL right now. He has said if an NFL team is interested he'd like to attempt a comeback.

3. optimus grimlock profile image59
    optimus grimlockposted 13 years ago

I think he could do it kick/punt return 10-12 carries a game!

4. AskAshlie3433 profile image60
    AskAshlie3433posted 13 years ago

I think it would be cool! Never give up!

5. LakeShow T profile image73
    LakeShow Tposted 13 years ago

Buzzkill report: I heard on the Jim Rome show today that Walker made all those comments about playing again in a response to a question he was asked by a reporter in regard to whether he believes he still could play. He does believe he could still play and be effective, but apparently does not actually have interest in pursuing an NFL team. If one were to pursue him, that may be a different story. I don't think that would be likely to happen though.

6. optimus grimlock profile image59
    optimus grimlockposted 13 years ago

um if your watchin the rome show you have no taste in tv!!! smile

LakeShow Tposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Great input on the topic there. Thank you for that useful information.  smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)