migraine headach

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)
  1. Dennis Pace profile image61
    Dennis Paceposted 13 years ago

yesterday I read a hub about migraines.  So I set out to research this pain.  Recently spoke with a young woman who had suffered from migraines almost every day. She said for her it was brought on by preservatives in food. When she stopped eating preservatives, her headaches went away. I just read about negative ions, and decided to see what you think.

Studies have also shown a link between negative ion treatment and benefits for the following:

Migraine Headaches
    Inhaling negative ions regulates the production of serotonin inside the brain. The overproduction of serotonin inside the brain is the cause of migraine headaches.

Depression
    A study at Columbia University suggested that negative ion treatment is more effective than anti-depressant drugs such as Prozac and Zolof, and there are no side effects with negative ions.

Fatigue
    The overproduction of serotonin (chemical produced inside the brain) also causes fatigue, and negative ions regulate the production of serotonin inside the brain.

your comments

2. profile image0
    china manposted 13 years ago

The Chinese answer is water.  Chinese don't seem to get migraine headaches, at least not to the extent that western seem to, they habitually drink more water each day than my horse could manage.  My Chinese partner starts force feeding me water if I complain about any headache, ulcers in the mouth, body odour, bad skin, dandruff, aching joints, and pretty much anty minor ailment except stomach, and for that our diet turnd immediately to water, well soup actuall, clear soup and lots of it.  After a lifetime of constant little irritations and taking expensive cra@p to not deal with it I have found the answer actually is WATER.  I come to the conclusion that western do so much sugars and salt in processed foods, drink coffee (Chinese think it is bad for you and it is not popular) that our livers and kidneys are permanently working at less than half speed.

You try it next time you get a run of the mill headache, take half pint of warm water every hour or more and I bet a hairy frog that it will clear itself up faster than with a pill.  Then if slightly convinced you can try it for other things if you have any sense smile

3. MrGreywolf38 profile image68
    MrGreywolf38posted 13 years ago

I agree. A lack of hydration is frequently the cause of headaches. Most folks I know don't drink enough. Even the ones you see carrying a bottle of water around don't actually drink very much of it. they just sip it now and then. I have trouble remembering to drink enough water and sometimes I get headaches. When I do I remember to drink water and my headache goes away.

4. qwark profile image59
    qwarkposted 13 years ago

I've suffered migraine headaches since grade school.
    I get flashes of light and temporary blindness as they come on.
    As soon as I notice the "flashing" spots of light and a small spot where there's no "sight," I take 2 full size aspirin and a cup of coffee.
    The flashes and blindness will last until the coffee and aspirin make it to the brain. Then they stop. The wonderful part is that there is no terrible migraine headache pain to follow!
    This has worked for me for 40 yrs!
    I get "migraines" a few times a year.
    The most important aspect is recognizing the onset, then as soon as possible take the aspirin and coffee.
    I Keep coffee in my pot 24/7!
    When I'm travelling, I fill up a thermos at McDonalds with coffee and keep aspirin in the glove compartment.
    Give it a shot! It works for me.
    Good luck!
    Qwark

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So you are "whipping" your body into submission to health with coffee and aspirin. That's interesting. Well, whatever works for you.
      Beating your head on the door knob might help too, you know. big_smile Just counteract internal pain with external. I usually have headaches when I am hungry or when my head is exposed to cold for some time. Normaly I do not have headaches though I have high blood presure, go figure.

1. qwark profile image59
        qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Home girl you are not speaking from experience.
        Migraine headache pain is awful and can last for a couple days.
        I consider this to be a "wise-ass" comment: "Beating your head on the door knob might help too, you know.  Just counteract internal pain with external."
        You have earned an eternal trip to my " don't respond list."
        QWark   sad:

1. profile image0
          Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Okay, you are right, I apologise sincerely.                                                                                 http://www.pic4ever.com/images/rose.gifhttp://www.pic4ever.com/images/rose.gif                                    I know people have terrible pains, my friend does. She has it every day and has to take terrible and very expensive pills in order to function and basically those pills do not help much.

2. profile image0
      china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What do you fill your thermos with from McDonalds then cos that certainly aint coffee they serve big_smile

1. qwark profile image59

China:

I don't know if your joking...'cause ya don't like what they serve, but, according to McDonaldsSustainableCoffee.com, they make their coffee from 100% Arabica beans which they get from the rainforests of Brazil, Columbia and Costa rica.

Who knows? All I can say is that when a migraine is coming on and I'm travelling, Mickey D's coffee has always worked for me.

Qwark

1. profile image0
          china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Must be the way they stew it to death, maybe it is the burnt hydrocarbons that do the trick !

1. qwark profile image59

Hahaha...could be!
            Whatever the hell it is, it works...lol  smile:
            Qwark

5. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 13 years ago

i have occasional migraines due to stress, lack of sleep and a pinched nerve.
    Caffeine does help and started using Excedrin Migraine tablets and admit that they do help!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)