Social Security deficits

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (15 posts)
  1. tjmatel3 profile image59
    tjmatel3posted 13 years ago

I saw a headline today that said Social Security to run Permanent Deficits. How will retirement be funded for the majority of Americans who have no savings - nothing? It's ridiculous to think that we continue to support something that has already failed.

1. couturepopcafe profile image59
      couturepopcafeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

They've been saying that for years.  I'd like them to give back to me all the money they took for my SOCIAL Security and do away with the entire program.  Let me do what I want with my own money.  Yeah...here comes the argument about "who's taxes are going to support me when I run out of money?"  Don't worry about it.

1. profile image51
        moneytalks 11posted 13 years agoin reply to this

This may be the the solution for real Social Security Reform.

Eliminate benefits for those not in need.
        Give option of ...

(A) - refund of FICA taxes paid
                           OR
        (B) - Reinvestment of FICA taxes, give individual an annual dividend, tax
                 free..reinvestment is inheritable and tax free.

BENEFITS;---SSA would save by making less monthly payments -SS
                                  Trust Fund would incur less debits & as a result of
                                   reinvestments  have more contributions.

2. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Social Security hasn't failed. It's the idiots handling it on a massive scale that has made it virtually impossible for it to continue on as it is presently. smile

1. dutchman1951 profile image60
        dutchman1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Its the idiots that have raided it and not told us the truth about that. Now it has been borrowed from so much it is near ruin.

Make the thieves put the monies back, and fix that part first, then come up a sustainable investment polocy that citizens can live with and support the program so everyone, young and old can have retirment income.

its lies, from thieves who have stole from the fund for a long time now.

3. Hugh Williamson profile image77
      Hugh Williamsonposted 13 years ago

Social Security fund has a surplus reserve of 2.5 trillion dollars. The problem is that it exists in the form of IOU's from the federal government which has raided it for that amount...now, obviously, it can't repay that debt.

The shortfall of SS reserve fund income would be relatively minuscule if the fund were left untapped. But, it wasn't.

The money mostly went for "feel good" pork barrel projects. It was a another case of voters being bribed with their own money while thinking that they were getting something for nothing. Now the bill is due.

1. dutchman1951 profile image60
        dutchman1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

tell them Hugh, the truth nees to be heard now.

4. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 13 years ago

A little off subject, but has anyone figured what they would have for a nest egg if all the payments (employee and employer) had been invested at, say, the 10% or so the stock market averages over the long term?

This is something I want to do when I get my next statement from them.

1. Jed Fisher profile image69
        Jed Fisherposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Index fund ETFs didn't exist when I first started paying onto FICA. Also, it took 10K just to open an account and the commision on every trade was 1%.  If someone followed the advice of brokers at the time, they would have invested in Dot-Bom stocks and Enron. Worthless. Even today, the market is one big slot machine, made worse by globalization. Trying to trade against something as huge as China's Soverign Wealth Fund is a sucker bet.

5. Eaglekiwi profile image75
      Eaglekiwiposted 13 years ago

Warning..warning ..Never disclose your SSN.

..But if you want to apply for a job ,or complete many forms (unsecured) and reputable departments then you MUST fill out all lines

Duhhhh....

New Item

SSN on the increase. No shit.

1. Hugh Williamson profile image77
        Hugh Williamsonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A lot of forms require a SS# for legit reasons -- tax reporting, background checking etc. Some places, like your Dr.'s office or the dentist only ask for your SSN to make it easier to track you down in case you don't pay their bill.

When filling out forms, if you don't think your SSN is relevant to the service being offered, transpose two numbers of the last four. If they do legitimately need the SSN, they'll get back to you. If they don't, it won't be sitting around in their files for the next 50 yrs.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image75
          Eaglekiwiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the tip.

I agree reasons may be legit ,but just doesnt make sense re fraud vulneribilty.

6. BobbiRant profile image60
      BobbiRantposted 13 years ago

It's no more crazy then to support politicians who screw up our economy.  Maybe the politicians should ditch their benefits in favor of us, the people they claim to care about.  LOL Caring politicians, what a concept!

7. Flightkeeper profile image66
      Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

Social Security will have to go through major changes.  Any surpluses from the past has already been spent by the fed govt, retirees are collecting for longer periods and the number of workers to collect social security taxes from cannot really support the boomer generation.

1. profile image0
        ryankettposted 13 years ago

I think that its always wise to focus on providing as much for yourself when retirement planning.

The retirement age for males in the UK could rise from 65 to 68. I'm not working until I die.

Instead, most of my money is to be spent on an investment property and private pension funds. My sole life ambition is to retire at 55, if not that then there is no way I am working past 60.

And, as such, I can't rely on state handouts. I met somebody the other day who was 46 and said "I have to start saving for retirement soon".

Nope, he missed that boat. I am 25, I already invest 10% of my earnings into pension funds, and the next step for me is to invest in a second home.

Whilst I largely sympathise with the plight of those who rely on state pensions, I know plenty of people my age who are happy to spend all of their money on iPhones, iPads and MacBooks, but turn their nose up at the prospect of saving a single penny for their future.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
        Necessary
        HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
        LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
        Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
        AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
        HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
        HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
        Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
        CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
        Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
        Features
        Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
        Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
        Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
        Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
        Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
        VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
        PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
        Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
        MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
        Marketing
        Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
        Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
        Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
        Statistics
        Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
        ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
        Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
        ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)