Michele Bachmann's Speech -- Harmful to GOP?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (27 posts)
  1. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Here is the text from the speech Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn)gave at the invitation of the Tea Party after tonight's SOTU. I have heard a lot of criticism from GOP spokespeople that Bachmann undercut/competed with the official GOP rebuttal given by Paul Ryan (R-WI).
    What do you think?
    What do you think of her message?

Washington (CNN) -- Rep. Michele Bachmann, R-Minnesota, responded to President Obama's State of the Union speech on Tuesday night from the Tea Party Express headquarters. Here is a transcript of Bachmann's speech.

Bachmann: Good evening. My name is Congresswoman Michele Bachmann from Minnesota's 6th District.

I want to thank the Tea Party Express and Tea Party HD for inviting me to speak this evening. I'm here at their request and not to compete with the official Republican remarks.

The Tea Party is a dynamic force for good in our national conversation, and it's an honor for me to speak with you.

Two years ago, when Barack Obama became our president, unemployment was 7.8%, and our national debt stood at what seemed like a staggering $10.6 trillion. We wondered whether the president would cut spending, reduce the deficit and implement real job-creating policies.

Unfortunately, the president's strategy for recovery was to spend a trillion dollars on a failed stimulus program, fueled by borrowed money. The White House promised us that all the spending would keep unemployment under 8%. Not only did that plan fail to deliver, but within three months, the national jobless rate spiked to 9.4%. It hasn't been lower for 20 straight months. While the government grew, we lost more than 2 million jobs.

Let me show you a chart. Here are unemployment rates over the past 10 years. In October of 2001, our national unemployment rate was at 5.3%. In 2008, it was at 6.6%. But just eight months after President Obama promised lower unemployment, that rate spiked to a staggering 10.1%. Today, unemployment is at 9.4% with about 400,000 new claims every week.

After the $700 billion bailout, the trillion-dollar stimulus, and the massive budget bill with over 9,000 earmarks, many of you implored Washington to please stop spending money that we don't have. But instead of cutting, we saw an unprecedented explosion of government spending and debt. It was unlike anything we've ever seen before in the history of the country.

Well, deficits were unacceptably high under President Bush, but they exploded under President Obama's direction, growing the national debt by an astounding $3.1 trillion.

Well, what did we buy? Instead of a leaner, smarter government, we bought a bureaucracy that now tells us which lightbulbs to buy and which may put 16,500 IRS agents in charge of policing President Obama's health care bill. Obamacare mandates and penalties may even force many job-creators to just stop offering health insurance altogether, unless, of course, yours is one of the more than 222 privileged companies, or unions, that's already received a government waiver under Obamacare.

In the end, unless we fully repeal Obamacare, a nation that currently enjoys the world's finest health care might be forced to rely on government-run coverage. That could have a devastating impact on our national debt for even generations to come.

For two years, President Obama made promises, just like the ones we heard him make this evening, yet still we have high unemployment, devalued housing prices, and the cost of gasoline is skyrocketing.

Well, here's a few suggestions for fixing our economy. The president could stop the EPA from imposing a job-destroying cap-and-trade system. The president could support a balanced budget amendment. The president could agree to an energy policy that increases American energy production and reduces our dependence on foreign oil.

The president could also turn back some of the 132 regulations put in place in the last two years, many of which will cost our economy $100 million or more. And the president should repeal Obamacare and support free-market solutions, like medical malpractice reform and allowing all Americans to buy any health care policy they like anywhere in the United States.

We need to start making things again in this country, and we can do that by reducing the tax and regulatory burden on job-creators. America will have the highest corporate tax rate in the world. Think about that. Look no further to see why jobs are moving overseas.

But thanks to you, there's reason for all of us to have hope that real spending cuts are coming, because last November, you went to the polls, and you voted out the big-spending politicians and you put in their place great men and women with a commitment to follow our Constitution and cut the size of government. I believe that we're in the very early days of a history-making turn in America.

Please know how important your calls, visits and letters are to the maintenance of our liberties. Because of you, Congress is responding, and we're just beginning to start to undo the damage that's been done the last few years, because we believe in lower taxes, we believe in a limited view of government and exceptionalism in America. And I believe that America is the indispensable nation of the world.

Just the creation of this nation itself was a miracle. Who can say that we won't see a miracle again? The perilous battle that was fought during World War II in the Pacific at Iwo Jima was a battle against all odds, and yet this picture immortalizes the victory of young GIs over the incursion against the Japanese. These six young men raising the flag came to symbolize all of America coming together to beat back a totalitarian aggressor.

Our current debt crisis we face today is different, but we still need all of us to pull together. But we can do this. That's our hope. We will push forward. We will proclaim liberty throughout the land. And we will do so because we, the people, will never give up on this great nation.

So God bless you, and God bless the United States of America.

1. junko profile image70
      junkoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think she harmed the gop, and the tea party, and misrepresented the american people.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image64
        Ralph Deedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Michelle Bachman is a dog peeing on the feet of the GOP.

2. I am DB Cooper profile image62
      I am DB Cooperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"The perilous battle that was fought during World War II in the Pacific at Iwo Jima was a battle against all odds, and yet this picture immortalizes the victory of young GIs over the incursion against the Japanese. These six young men raising the flag came to symbolize all of America coming together to beat back a totalitarian aggressor."

I just don't know what to say anymore. She had weeks to prepare this speech and do research for her anecdotes, and she still didn't do it. The fact that she actually said the quoted paragraph above on national television is not only a sign of historical ignorance, but fact-checking laziness. I can actually accept the former, because everyone is ignorant about some aspects of history. The latter, however, I cannot accept from someone who aspires to be President of the United States of America. That kind of laziness does not belong in the White House, EVER.

In absolutely no way was the Battle of Iwo Jima (Operation Detachment) a "battle against all odds", unless Bachmann was speaking from the Japanese perspective. The United States had an overwhelming superiority in both numbers of soldiers on the island and weapons. The Japanese used "last stand" tactics to hold back the siege for as long as possible, but they knew from the start they were going to lose the island.

Also, the Japanese government might have been described as totalitarian, but to say the Japanese were "totalitarian aggressors" during the Battle of Iwo Jima is just dishonest. They were soldiers under orders to hold the island for as long as possible from the American onslaught and to give their life rather than surrender. Both sides fought bravely during this battle, and the young Americans who raised that flag certainly were heroes, but there's no need to distort history.

2. Mighty Mom profile image77

She is eerily similar to Sarah Palin in her tactics.
    I heard a GOP Congressman say about her, "Michele Bachmann is only out for Michele Bachmann."
    The commentators who interviewed her didn't ask her anything about her message. All they wanted to know was whether she thought her speech competed with/detracted from Paul Ryan's.

For the record, Ryan's speech was not much better than hers.
    Obama is evil. He is responsible for the unemployment situation and the deficit (which he inherited from Bush). Smaller government, free enterprise. American exceptionalism, God bless America.

See how easy it is to spout party platitudes? lol

1. junko profile image70

They can't be honest about anything political without committing political suicide. They find it easier to complain than to explain. The gop has red dogs now in their house. The democrats have had to deal with blue dogs for years. It's going to be interesting.

2. profile image60
      logic,commonsenseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The Dem's said the same words about Bush.  Whomever the next president is will have the same words said about him or her.  Doesn't matter how well you do, someone is po'd.  They will call you names and denigrate whatever you do.  That's politics.  Don't like it, stay on the porch.

3. Mighty Mom profile image77

Ms. Bachmann "explained" plenty. I just got finished reading the political fact check on her speech.
    Lie, lie, lie, lie.
    Not a shred of truth in any of the numbers she quoted.
    Or the charts she showed as "evidence."
    Oh well, let Boehner and his cronies deal with her.
    Should be fun theatrics!

1. profile image60
      logic,commonsenseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So what is the truth?

1. junko profile image70

The truth is ovious, The right deals in true lies on purpose.

2. profile image57
      C.J. Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

All lies? While there is definitely some spin there, her "facts" are not complete fabrications. Granted half truths make the best lies. However, how's the job market? Has the deficit increased?

As to your question, her speach was NOT helpfull. It clearly shows a power struggle within the GOP. It would appear that the party of "NO" is now the party of "I DON'T KNOW".

One thing is clear. The run away spending has to stop. You can't spend your way out of deficits. You can't reduce revenues when your spending money you don't have to begin with. There are serious issues with both parties ideas.

1. Flightkeeper profile image66
        Flightkeeperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Agreed CJ.  The Republicans are messing it up again.  They couldn't come to some sort of accommodation with the Tea Party that they ended up having two rebuttals?  Weird.

1. profile image57

It's pretty sad to watch. The Tea Party is damaging both parties. Hopefully they will help bring about positive changes in both parties.

3. profile image57

BTW MM, Bachmann didn't have the market cornered on spin.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/FACT-CHEC … 0&.v=2

4. lady_love158 profile image59
    lady_love158posted 13 years ago

Who cares what the republican establishment thinks? I love Michelle and I totally agree with her message. Obama's policies are a complete undisputable failure as everyone can see by any measure! And what does he propose in his SOTU speech? MORE of the same!!!

1. profile image57

Liking her "ideas" isn't good enough. Her ideas alone aren't good enough. The political landscape in America has NOT changed. Many of these Tea Party members were NOT vetted. The Dem attack machine is comming. The skeletons will be thrown from the closet for all to see. The media will have a field day with each new revelation.

1. lady_love158 profile image59
        lady_love158posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Bring it on!!!

1. profile image57

You say that now. Picture the non stop attacks on Palin times 10. That is where we are headed.

Right, part of the democrats call for civility, dn hypocrites!

2. profile image0
      awesome77posted 13 years agoin reply to this

when will people wake up and see, the democrats and republicans serve the same masters!

I have my issues with the current president, but after careful analysis, both political parties will soon spend us to oblivion.

Both parties spend like crazy and Obama is just continuing the tradition!

5. lovemychris profile image75
    lovemychrisposted 13 years ago

She's harmful to anyone who's got an iota of a brain!!
    She said there was no inequality in America after the Founding Fathers got here.
    Well, of course! If you don't admit to any wrong-doing why should you be involved in making it right?

For god's sakes....these Native Americans and African Americans had it so good all this time.
    Just because they were slaughtered for their land and and made slaves for the whites does not make it a bad thing!!!!

At least they get to be here and see wonderful me speak!!!
    Oh, me and Sarah, that's all you need to know'
    We spread the gospel wherever we go
    You may not like it cause we made it up
    But you'll dam sure take it, or meet my AK 47 Pup!!!

6. lovemychris profile image75
    lovemychrisposted 13 years ago

The Ballad of Michelle and Sarah

7. Mighty Mom profile image77

What I would like to know from both the GOP and Tea Party representatives is this:
    When was the last time America was truly "exceptional"?
    If you listened to Obama's speech you heard a dose of reality.
    We are not an island. We do not stand alone.
    We live and must participate in a global economy.
    We need to REINVENT this nation for the FUTURE.
    Yes, it's wonderful that America is the only country in the world formed on an "idea/ideal" but that alone cannot sustain us.
    Whether we like it or not, times have changed. The world has changed, and America needs to change.
    We need to shift our thinking to what we face NOW.
    I seriously would like to hear someone tell me something POSITIVE that your party would do to fix things.
    Not just kneejerk anti-Obama rhetoric.
    Real solutions to solving the deficit, unacceptable unemployment, poor quality education, dismal health care, rampant mental health failures -- if I've missed anything here, please address that too.
    OBAMA SUCKS does not answer the question.
    Tell us what are you going to DO???

Really? You act as if the democrats are the only ones with ideas! Much has been offered, and written about solving our probl;ems, but for the most part the democrats have blocked them.
      America must return to a country of individuals that self rule. We must reject the idea that we need to be led by the political elites. We must provide our own solutions to our problems and stop expecting government to be the answer for everything!
      If there is one thing that must change in this country it is our selves. We must go back to self reliance, and personal responsibility. Doing so will relieve the government of providing for us things they just can't do very well.
      You can't tell me we can't cut 20% across the board every single federal program, yes including defense! You can't tell me we can't simplfy the tax code, a flat tax for ALL! 15%. The answers are simple, but it takes courage to do what's right and to forget your OWN personal interest. I could fix this country tomorrow if I was allowed to.

1. Jillian Barclay profile image74
        Jillian Barclayposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Let's pretend for a moment that you are given the power. Please tell us what you would do-- and give me your facts and figures, since you have already thought it out...
        Thank you.

And not just cut spending by 20%--that doesn't solve all of our problems. And not just 15% tax rate-spell it all out.

2. junkseller profile image79
        junksellerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"I could fix this country tomorrow if I was allowed to."

THANK GOODNESS!!  The savior of the universe has been found!

So, what are you waiting for?

You're not going to actually admit that external forces can prevent your exceptional greatness from achieving its full potential (which according to you is fixing the whole nation).

That is the sort of attitude that lazy, slob poor people say isn't it?  You're not like them are you?

8. Mighty Mom profile image77

Dems' 2012 dream team: Bachmann/Palin
    Please oh please oh please oh please oh please!!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)