DELL is ripping me off....a little help?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (29 posts)
  1. profile image0
    jjrubioposted 15 years ago

I recently discovered after some computer issues that my computer has some applications and event logs dating back to 2003. Yet my Husband and  I purchased this computer brand new from DELL in April 2007. ( IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE BRAND NEW)

Also, I recently noticed that the original statement says they were charging me 29.99% interest all this time while I was told the 1st 12 months were 0 % APR....MY hubby and I were seperated the remainder of 07- until May 08. So I finally realized this.

They will not give me any answers despite the many attempts over the phone and email...what should I do????

2. profile image0

come on doesn't anyone have something to say? I am at my wits end with the company.

They finally emailed me back this morning saying that we didn't get the 0% promotional offer. When I remember them telling us we did. Also, they never addressed the issue about the computer having dates of 2003 when it was supposed to be made in 07.......HELP!!!

1. Stacie L profile image89
      Stacie Lposted 15 years agoin reply to this

1. find the state that they are headquartered in and contact BBB.They have always helped me.
      2.  contact that states Attorney Generals office.
      3. go on message boards with your complaint;there are always others in the same boat.
      4.  file  a complaint on a website titled "The Ripoff Report"

1. profile image0
        jjrubioposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I filed a complaint with the State Attorney General and the BBB too even before I wrote this topic...I just didn't know what else to do......

smile thanks

3. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 15 years ago

Not Dell but other products like TIVO or the toaster oven, they tell you your product is not new. It turns out things was stored in a warehouse for any number of months or years, so the warantee doesn't apply. Seems like a gimmick so they don't have to honor their product. Doesn't seem one can trust hardly anyone these days.

4. brad4l profile image71
    brad4lposted 15 years ago

Well, this could also be when the software was written. For instance, if you install a program that was written in 2003, some of the files might well say "created 5/01/2003" or something to that effect, but this can be a little misleading.

Where do you see the dates?

In regards to your other questions, I am not sure what would be your best move. If you don't have any documentation from your purchase, you might be out of luck. On the other hand, you might be able to take them to small claims court, where the burden of proof is much lower.

1. profile image0

if the files were written in 2003 then why would I have All 2007 new applications but those few. and Why would the Y server show the date and time at 1/03/2003 5:40 am???? It doesn't make sense to me, And when all we wanted was an explanation from them, DELL won't give us one. Thats what makes me think they screwed up!

5. WHoArtNow profile image82
    WHoArtNowposted 15 years ago

Your not being ripped off by Dell. You bought a brand new computer, with I;m guessing Windows XP on it, which was created years before you bought it. It's just the modification on htat file done by Microsoft.

I've just finished building up a new PC. Finished it yesterday. Yet there are files in the .dll folder (drivers) that date back to 2003. Brand new machine, I built it myself, same issue.

Don;t worry about it. It's 100% normal. Dell wouldn't risk the lawsuit by selling you something second hand as brand new.

6. profile image0

It says it was manufactured in 2007 and its Windows Vista. I still would like to know why there are so many events logged in the Event Viewer with Security as well as other logs dating to 2003 and 2006

1. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for the giggles lol

1. profile image0

I am sorry but I see dates that were modified and created in 2003 so how is that supposed to work??? The manufacture date of my comp is 2007

1. Misha profile image63

And what? Andrew showed you another example. For your information, no consumer computer manufactured in 2003 had enough resources to run Vista, so your suspicion is an obvious nonsense and does not demonstrate anything but your total computer illiteracy. Combined with you coming here all guns blazing accusing Dell on wrongdoing based on your own ignorance this causes nothing but giggles. smile

1. profile image0

well I don't appreciate the rudeness. I came on here asking for help. And by the way I received a letter from the State Attorney General naming Dell for being sued for the same things I have mentioned on here. Selling computers offering 0% financing for first year and then not keeping agreement....as I stated in opening of this forum
            as well as selling computers that did not work right and various other issues.
            by the way...how come the Tech support wouldn't give me any answers either???? They should be telling me something instead of ignoring my concerns!

I took the pictures I had to a professional who told me that some of the files were put on the computer  years before I bought it. You know what.. I know I am not Computer Literate when it comes to the workings of a computer...I am not a Computer NERD and I don't want to be. You didn't have to put it like that Misha. I always thought you were nice. Why did you come at me all mean. Thanks alot!

7. WHoArtNow profile image82

OK, here's my "Program Files" on my laptop. It's Windows Vista Home Premium.

http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww44/unklejoe/vistadate.jpg

The file I have selected had a modified date of 11/11/2006, yet look to the right, and you'll see the file was created on the 25/06/2007!!

Basically, there are some files that have survived from the early pre-beta tests, which is before the release. Seriously, don't worry about these dates.

8. KCC Big Country profile image86
    KCC Big Countryposted 15 years ago

I think they're saying that even though your computer was manufactured in 2007, there could be software and programs that could show an earlier date that have been installed on your computer.  I wouldn't worry about it.

9. WHoArtNow profile image82

@jjrubio - It take a lot of people ('000's of them) to design and make a version of Windows, it also takes them years. To save time (and money) they might use some coding from a previous version of Windows if it was perfect (or good enough) from a previous version.

The dates your seeing are from some code (files) that was probably created for Windows XP, and to save time and money, the Windows programmers just copied it into Vista.

There is nothing to worry about. You bought a 100% brand new computer. you won;t have security issues or anything like that.

But I would advise moving onto Windows 7 when it comes out, but only because it's so much better and faster than Vista!

10. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

I don't think I am being rude here. I am laughing at obvious nonsense posted with much pretense.

Can't say anything about 0% deal cause I obviously can't see your fine print and don't know other details. I personally bought more than a handful computers from them during last several years, and never had a problem.

1. profile image0

thats good for you but then how did the NY attorney general win a class action lawsuit for the very same issues I am stating? 33 states were in this case against Dell. Evidence doesn't lie.

11. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

I really know nothing about this case. I suspect that just or not it was about 0%, not year 2003. And my laugh was about year 2003 smile

12. profile image0
    Adam Yorkposted 15 years ago

Dates on files and logs can occure prior to manufacturing dates because files for configuration, testing, and functionality, such as hardware testing is re-used.  Meaning, files are copied for testing purposes and quality control and logging.  This doesn't mean your computer was used it just means dates carry over from copied test files, logs, and scripts used to Quality Control and test new computers.

1. Eric Graudins profile image61
      Eric Graudinsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You're dead right Adam.

And Misha - shame on you for the way you spoke to jjrubio.
      She's not a computer expert, so telling her off for computer illiteracy is a real cheap shot.

(So jjrubio - don't take too much offence. Just feel sorry for him - He's running out of "run your car on water" promoters to hassle, and is broadening his horizons lol )

Various manufacturers have their own install processes, which add lots of other stuff to the standard windows install. I'm not surprised that files that are date stamped 2003 - and even long before - would be found there.

So don't worry about the files on your hard disk that are dated earlier than you bought the computer.
      Chase the 0% financing if it appears to be a common preoblem with Dell.

Cheers, Eric G.

1. Misha profile image63

Well, I would have talked differently if jjrubio did not make far-fetched conclusions based on those erroneous assumptions.

If she came here and asked something like - guys, I found files on my PC that are way older than computer itself, wtf is going on, am I being ripped off? - this would have been altogether different conversation.

Instead she comes and states - Dell is ripping me off - based on that nonsense. When nobody answers this, she bumps the thread and keeps insisting... Hence the reaction... smile

1. profile image0

As far as the 0 % financing THEY ARE RIPPING ME OFF..as well as many others, So you can say all you want and make a joke out of my naivity on the PC stuff but I know that they are known for the Bait and Switch when it comes to the 0% financing so I had every legal right to name my forum that!

And another thing- you really should be more polite. Do you work for DELL? You act like you are DELL's Attorney or something with the way you defend them. My claims were in no way "far fetched" nor were they erroneous. And if you read the original post you will see that my statements  I made were about the 0% financing  as well as help about the dates in the files. So it was (2) basic issues I had stated.

And as far as bumping the thread...NO ONE had answered and I asked again. We have a right to do that...You are not HUB PAGE police...You are just a very rude person.

1. Misha profile image63

What goes around comes around smile

1. profile image0

And what is that supposed to mean? Are you implying that I am rude? Why do you think that?  you are the one whom is stating that golden phrase "what goes around come around" and you are telling me that? You are the one who jumped at the chance to tear me to pieces, and I haven't been rude to you once. You should really sit back and let the words your shooting at me marinate in your brain......" Treat others the way you would like to be treated".... Have a lovely night!

2. profile image0

THANK YOU FOR STICKING UP FOR ME.... AND I HAVE SPOKEN TO MY STATE ATTORNEY GENERAL WHO SAYS I DO HAVE A CLAIM AGAINST THEM FOR THE 0% FINANCING "BAIT AND SWITCH" THEY PULLED ON ME AS WELL AS MANY OTHER CUSTOMERS. DELL IS IN ALOT OF HOT WATER FOR THIS.

13. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 15 years ago

Hey Eric,Good call.  Misha and I will have to agree on sharing the harassment of the fuel fairies. I go after them too. Hurts my engineering heart to see these crooks make money of moms and dads.
    I have had a pretty good run with Dell.

14. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

The beauty of public forums is that everything gets recorded, and anybody interested is free to go and read from the start for themselves, and form their informed opinion smile

15. skydiver profile image60
    skydiverposted 15 years ago

You may find that the 0% deal was subject to a credit check. Did it say something along the lines of 0% typical APR? Don't bite my head off, and I'm not saying this is the case, but it is possible if you or your partner has a poor credit history then you won't get the 0% 'quoted'.

Dell are a huge company and my personal experiences with them are all positive ones. You can't become a successful multinational company by selling off used pc's as new, and I am sure they will get this sorted for you without you have to threaten them letters from your solicitor.

Hope you get this sorted one way or another though. In summary.... don't panic!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)