Do you have a friend with "benefits"?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (38 posts)
  1. Fluffymetal profile image75
    Fluffymetalposted 13 years ago

If so.... tell me how that's working out for you.  Does it exist?  Is it dangerous? Is it healthy? What do you think?

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Worked out well, while I was doing it. smile
      Yes, it exists.
      That depends on the given situation.
      Of course it's healthy.
      I just told you what I think lol

1. starme77 profile image76
        starme77posted 13 years agoin reply to this

sounds healthy smile  and interesting - I just asked my daughter what the heck a friend with benefits was - and she laughed at me cause I didn't have a clue - but - hey - given the right situation it could be a good thing:)

2. damajoyi profile image59
        damajoyiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

For the most part it never works out.  If it ever amount to friends with benefit, it means you weren't good enough for a legit relationship.  So the person is being strong along until the other finds someone better.  While this is going on, one of you is bound to fall in love with the other, making matters worse.

That's completely untrue. It hasn't spoiled any of the friendships I had with those women who I've had that sort of arrangement with.

Therefore, you conclusion is false.

1. damajoyi profile image59
            damajoyiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Give it time Cagsil.  I think after mutiple of this sexual encounter, either you or her will realize that this is what you want or don't want.  and that when it become very sticky.  That is, one of you will want out while the other will want to continue.  in short, right now you are blinded by the fact that you are having you cake and eating too.  I am actually all for it because it is a good learning experience.

2. rkummer profile image59
          rkummerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with damajoyi.  Unless both parties go in with shared/identical expectations and understanding, coupled with neither holding a true desire to expand the relationship, absolutely it would work. 

Cagsil, what works for some doesn't work for others.  Just because you haven't experienced difficulty in benefits situations doesn't mean others won't/don't.

2. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yeah, I married him

3. cpvr profile image60
      cpvrposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's healthy. We had benefits though, but now all she does is give me money and buy me food.

1. Daniel Carter profile image61
        Daniel Carterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Then what's in it for her?
        Just wonderin'.

4. profile image0
      ssaulposted 13 years agoin reply to this

To me friends with benefits are the best, there is no expectations, no commitment, no rush, no pressure just the best. Remember to always look for signs of attachment from the other person, if you don't want it to become anything more, talk about it, if not,  run as fast as possible! big_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smile

1. ceciliabeltran profile image63
        ceciliabeltranposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Call me a prude but I can't imagine having sex with someone I don't want to live with. I mean, if I don't want you in my life, I don't want you in my body all the more! (sorry, just wondering how that is possible, to want to have sex with someone you don't want to be around with)

5. lady_love158 profile image59
      lady_love158posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have lots of friends, some with bigger benefits than others wink

6. ceciliabeltran profile image63
      ceciliabeltranposted 13 years agoin reply to this

NO strings attached was a good movie to watch. I was surprised that Ashton Kutcher did not distract!

2. Aiden Roberts profile image68
    Aiden Robertsposted 13 years ago

How sad am I?

I do not understand the question, I think it means getting intimate without committment; am I right?

3. profile image0
    Muldanianposted 13 years ago

Well, I have one friend who always has an endless supply of furniture polish, which is a great bonus if I am ever short of it.  She is also very handy with a sewing machine, which is useful if I need something turning up.

1. Aiden Roberts profile image68
      Aiden Robertsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh right!

I have a friend who can fix almost anything, I sometimes wonder why he is my friend because I am pretty useless at everything smile

4. profile image0
    ralwusposted 13 years ago

uh huh, i married her long ago, puddy fat and all.

5. tritrain profile image72
    tritrainposted 13 years ago

Yes, my girlfriend.

6. PBody5205 profile image78
    PBody5205posted 13 years ago

They work until someone gets too attached and the other person doesn't feel the same way.  As long as your in it for the right reasons (to not be tied down but still get some) and both of you are cool with it, knock yourself out smile

1. cpvr profile image60
      cpvrposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree. That's why I had to cut it loose with the girl I was messing around with, she caught too many feelings, and I wasnt having that, we were just friends with benefits

7. AMSpace profile image60
    AMSpaceposted 13 years ago

I think it works for some, and as long as both parties understand that's all it is...then it's fine. If emotions get involved, then things could get a whole lot more complicated.

I think the key is to draw those lines in the sand before beginning.

8. KristenGrace profile image61
    KristenGraceposted 13 years ago

Had one years before...

Not anymore :\  Don't think it's dangerous or unhealthy.

9. brimancandy profile image79
    brimancandyposted 13 years ago

I only have one. But, we basically only see each other in the summer. But, when we do get together it's like fireworks! We both have partners, but if we didn't, I would want to snatch him up for myself in a second. He's a great guy, and hot as hell!

As for it being dangerous. Since being gay has many levels of what is acceptable in a relationship. Being found out, might not have the same outcome as if we were a straight married couple. Don't get me wrong, there are some very possessive fags out there, who would scream bloody murder, but, I think the level among them would be less intense as the jealous husband or wife.

It's like skating on thin ice. You never know what will happen.
    But, my relationship is pretty open. So, for me, it's more of a guilt trip on ice. (Sounds like I'm promoting an arena show!)

The Amazing Guilt Trip on Ice! Coming to a town near you!

10. kmackey32 profile image65
    kmackey32posted 13 years ago

Not anymore.....lol

Hey Kmackey, did you ever check out that other thread about tattoos for my response to your post? If not, check it out. tongue

1. kmackey32 profile image65
        kmackey32posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ummmm no...lol. I was off for a bit making food....lol

11. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 13 years ago

They do exist but as far as people getting hurt in it are concerned, it really depends on the parties involved.  If there's established ground rules from the start on how no matter how much sex takes place, it would not change the nature of their relationship then it's okay and harmless fun.  Is it dangerous?  Well technically speaking ALL relationships are potentially dangerous.  It just depends on too many variables.  However, as long as both parties are emotionally secure enough and agree on the established rules of the "friends with benefits" concept, then it should be fine.

For me personally, i don't think i could handle a relationship like that personally.  However, I certainly wouldn't stop anyone else if they wanted that kind of relationship with another person.  Just leave me out of it is all i would tell them.

12. Bard of Ely profile image80
    Bard of Elyposted 13 years ago

I thought it meant social security payments if you are out of work! lol

13. Heart of a Lion profile image60
    Heart of a Lionposted 13 years ago

A friend with benefits can be healthy, but only between two balanced, well rounded people who managed to stow their baggage, not drag it behind them forever. A person with baggage, whether it be past relationships or addictions or self image or any topic which can cause unbalance and turmoil deep inside, will typically engage in that "friend" role unable to truly "benefit" from the NSA relationship. In these situations the pleasure gained from the partner/friend is only skin deep. Deeper than the physical relationship lies the emotional, all the while possibly judging, comparing, hesitating, second guessing and most of all not communicating. So I believe that anyone who decides to go this route should exercise caution and look for warning signs such as personality changes, inability to accept compliments, withdrawing, avoidance and mood changes. None of those things should interfere in a NSA relationship anyway right? Those things are the strings so many friends discover in these potentially great but usually not relationships.

14. stclairjack profile image77
    stclairjackposted 13 years ago

i dont know if what i've got right now is a "friends w/ benenfits" kinda thing.... we are friends, we fish and BBQ together, we change his oil and fix my plumbing together, we also attend each others parties and family dinners,... but i'm not sure anything more will ever come of it, we live in our seperate homes, we prefer it that way, we may not see each other for a week, but we text or call most days, more of a whats up check. its more of a "your place or mine" kinda thing,... it works.

15. Mrs. J. B. profile image60
    Mrs. J. B.posted 13 years ago

They were called F Partners in my day and YES I had one.. They are the best

16. Fluffymetal profile image75

Thank you for all your comments.  I completely forgot about this thread. :v......

17. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

Wish I had one, kinda had one once but I was desperate at the time lol

18. Bill Manning profile image67
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

I sort of had one. Seems like it's always just a matter of time before it gets someone hurt, not worth it IMO.

19. Fluffymetal profile image75

My best friend gives me my benefits... nobody is getting hurt.  we are very mature about it.

Hey Fluffy, just the thought, entertains the mind, almost enough to ask more questions, but since we're friends on FB, I don't need to guess who your best friend is. wink tongue

But, I'm glad you're mature about it though. smile

20. TahoeDoc profile image78
    TahoeDocposted 13 years ago

Long ago and far away...I still think it was great at the time (right time, person, place) and have no regrets and in my situation, no one got hurt.

Works if both people are TRULY on the same page. I know some people (mostly women) who would agree to something like this, but it was really a desperate attempt just to get close to someone. They invariably got hurt when they couldn't 'win over' their partner into a committment.

Proceed with caution.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)