Not Enough Followers

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (29 posts)
  1. thebluestar profile image75
    thebluestarposted 13 years ago

Help please.  I joined hubpages in the hope that I would get some feedback to my style of writing, but with little success. Please take a look at some of my hubs and tell me honestly what you feel.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

As others have said - the way to get readership is to participate actively in forum discussions, and comment frequently (and meaningfully) on other people's Hubs. 

You can also post a link to your Hubs in the Extreme Hub Makeover section and ask for feedback. Don't overdo it - links to one or two Hubs every now and then is enough, otherwise people will feel you're taking advantage!

thebluestarposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, I am amazed at the lovely encouraging and helpful advice I have received so far. I will bear your comments in mind and thank you again for passing bye.

2. jokeapptv profile image60
    jokeapptvposted 13 years ago

try posting it to twitter, facebook,
    dont give up

I post almost everything I write to facebook but have had only a smattering of replies. is twitter better do you think?

3. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

Your writing style is clear and enjoyable.   Has someone implied otherwise? If so, ignore them.

Thank you for your comment. Yes my tutor has suggested I revive my writing style. I am currently doing a creative writers course with the hope of publishing my memoirs. The hub, Mother My Heroin, is an extract taken from one of the early chapters. I tend to write as I would talk which I have been told is very un-professional and I must look at other ways to describe my feelings.
      Any help is greatly appreciated.

1. Pcunix profile image90
        Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't think your tutor knows beans about online writing.

thank you so much for your encouragement. Writing is my passion, like making jewelry, I find it theraputic.

4. profile image0
    Whikatposted 13 years ago

I enjoy your writing style. You have another follower, you got mail. smile
    BTW, I love your Titles very creative and unique.

5. Rafini profile image83
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

I think the best way to attract followers (in order to receive feedback) is to be more active in the forums.  Take a look at the topics that interest you and post a comment.  Other hubbers who see you, your comment, and are interested will take a look at your profile & your hubs.  Like I did. smile

thank you so much, I will have to try that. I have done quite a lot of hub hopping which I am finding useful.

1. Rafini profile image83
        Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yup, that too!  lol  reading and commenting on others' hubs also works well.  btw - your comments leave a link to your profile and helps your hubber score too!

6. Midnight Oil profile image83
    Midnight Oilposted 13 years ago

Apart from being active in the forums and twitter etc, I would try changing some of the titles of your hubs.  I have just  read some of your hubs and they are interesting and funny enough, but personally, the titles are a bit dull and grey like the mouse you had.

It wasn't until I tried changing the titles of some of my more sleepy hubs did they take off, simply because the titles were not right.  For example, I change the title of "Apple's Iphone 5 Expected Improvements?" to "iPhone 5 - The Rumours, Possible Release Dates & Most Wanted Features"  - this hub is really flying now.

Seems if you get the titles right, readers gain interest in you and work and follow you..

thank you, in fact I am finding titles a challenge as well as grouping and classification. For example I think my hub Dog Poop Graveyard is  in the wrong group so I am still trying to fathom everything out.  I am afraid I am not all that computer literate, more used to the old word processor..

1. Midnight Oil profile image83
        Midnight Oilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Don't worry, I struggle with the titles too.  The ones I pick don't seems to do anything at all, but once I put in a few keywords, they started to get busy.  I don't like the titles, but if I want others to look at them I have to accept them.

I am glad you are receiving more comments, I have found posting this question a great help. Everyone so far has offered good advice and been very supportive. I have changed a couple of my titles, and yes, it works.  More mail is now coming through.  Thank you once again

7. That's the way profile image61
    That's the wayposted 13 years ago

Hi! I'm a little bit short with followers too. Few days ago, I answered on some questions and the next day I got 2 followers. So, to get followers you need to communicate with other members of HP, I guess. This site is addicting, so something what used to be a funny way to spend few minutes a day could turn into need to spend few hours a day smile. Have a nice time on HP!

I do communicate with others and have got good scores for  my answers, usually others are marking them up but still I am short of comments and followers so I must still be doing something wrong. Any more ideas please.

8. Pamela99 profile image90
    Pamela99posted 13 years ago

Another important aspect of getting people to read your hubs is to read their hubs and make a comment.  I have had many people say they will follow me so I will click on their site and follow them, but then they never comment on any of your hubs.  It is a 2 way street. You have to become a part of the Hubpages group and that will add to your traffic.

thank you so much for the advice, I will certainly try that.

9. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
    schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years ago

hey there blue star!
    with all due respect, "dog poop graveyard" for some reason draws away my attention.
    I think many of your articles could use better titles, perhaps.

Instead of 'dog poop graveyard' you may say,

.......Graveyard of buried things ...maybe
    you know what I mean? And then get into it in the article. With taste of course.

I guess everyone has diff taste and some like it.

But anyways, if DOES take a while before people, usually, get many followers. my other acct has about 25 or so and it's been 3mo. but I'm not in a hurry w/ that one. My first acct, this one, took awhile, but I wrote about 30 hubs in 20 days, so I that helped and my "controversial" or whatever my articles are aobut.
    smile Rose

thank you, you are not the first person to mention my titles so I guess I had better take more care on choosing them.

1. Pcunix profile image90
        Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Actually, that title made me read the hub, and I might not have otherwise.

Hi there, I am so pleased you decided to read my hubs and am very grateful for all your time and advice. Isn't it great that friendship really does make the world go around.

10. Mrs. J. B. profile image60
    Mrs. J. B.posted 13 years ago

Just keep moving along with your writing. You will do fine...

I am amazed you took the time to read so many of my hubs and thank you very much for your comments to each one of them. Your encouragement is brilliant.

11. writinginalaska profile image82
    writinginalaskaposted 13 years ago

well, i just became a follower.  I happen to like your writing style.  It's easy, it follows and you're right, it's like you're talking to me.  Titles?  they are just fine in my book.  All the previous advise is good,  followers happen eventually  smile  Welcome to Hub pages and keep up the good work.
    LVH

Thank you so much for reading my hubs. I really enjoy writing although at the mo I have hit a writers block. A am very busy at work at the moment and just feel tired.  Light on the horizon thou, my weekend off, so I will get my mojo back by then hopefully.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)