Is Martin Lawrence Making A Comeback?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Rastamermaid profile image66
    Rastamermaidposted 13 years ago

I love this guy he's good,clean funny and you can't hate on that.
    Yeah he's had alittle drama but compared to most Hollywood drama is minimal.
    He's got his show he's producing on TVOne and Big Momma's House 3 coming out,I think the man is coming back.

What about you,are we ready for Martin Lawrence?

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/4526311_f248.jpg

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I love how your assuming a film that we all know is going to be more of the same ludricious crap we saw in the previous films is going to be a hit. lol  I doubt he will make it that big.  Sure, he'll make a lot of movies if he wants to, but he was never a popular guy even during his younger days.  Heck, the best films he ever made were the "Bad Boys" movies, and that was largely great due to Will Smith.  Sorry, but I don't see it.  I think he should just stick to stand up comedy.  He's a great comedian, but he's a lousy actor.  Always has, and probably always will be.  Sorry.

1. Diane Inside profile image72
        Diane Insideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi smile

1. profile image0

hi diane, hows it going? smile

2. Rastamermaid profile image66
        Rastamermaidposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well Stevennix2001,I never said anything about this movie being a hit,but he has a following that's going to get out to see it,so it will make money.

Yes,he's a comedian he's a good clean comedian,with all the foul mouthed comedians I like that he's fairly clean,especially by todays standards
        No, he's not the greatest actor, he's a comedian,that's why he does comedy you've never seen him in a serious role he's about the laugh.

Most comedians have a hard time being taken as serious actors,even when they have  acting ability warrants it.

1. profile image0

Of course, it's going to make money.  I never implied that it wouldn't.  I just meant that I doubt it's going to be one of the most marketable comedies of this year, as Martin Lawrence is not that popular of an actor, and the "big momma" franchise isn't exactly a popular film franchise.

That's kind of subjective, as I have yet to hear a comedian with as much foul mouthed humor about sex as he does.  Sure, there's others that are close, but he literally takes it to another level.

Um...I thought I made myself perfectly clear that i KNOW HE'S A COMEDIAN.  I never said I didn't know he was, so I don't see how pointing that out is relevant.  As far as his personal choice to only do comedies, you are technically right about that, but I would like to point out that it also has a lot to do with his limited acting range.  If you ever watch all his films that require certain moments for him to be serious (i.e. "Bad Boys"), you'll notice that he often hams it up too much, as it's hard to really take him that seriously. 

Hence, that's why he can only do comedic roles, as he lacks the versatility of a Jim Carrey, Robin Williams, or even a Jamie Foxx.

Rastamermaid, you do realize your preaching to the quire right?  Seriously, I review films ALL THE TIME on this site, and I do a lot of research into film history itself, so nothing your telling me is really new to me.  Sorry, if I sound like a smart a**, as that's not my intention, but I'm just saying. 

However, I wouldn't put Martin Lawrence into that same category of comedians that have a hard time being taken seriously, as he hasn't shown any kind of acting range to warrant the disrespect card in Hollywood so to speak, and he seems to only take on roles that primarily stick to his comedic strengths.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's not capable of being a serious actor, as many comedians have made that transgression from comedies to dramas like Bill Murray, Robin Williams and Jamie Foxx to name a few. 

However, the difference between Lawrence and those other actors mentioned is that they all at least took chances with the roles that they took.  They took on roles that many people didn't expect them to play, to display their full range of acting versatility.  Whereas Martin Lawrence, he tends to stick to roles that are safe and play to his strengths like Chris Rock does.  Sure, it makes a lot of money for them doing that but until they decide to do roles that are drastically different than what they're accustomed to doing, then they'll never be taken seriously as an actor.

Of course I feel where you're coming from and understand exactly what you're saying.

Of course I'm not taking offense to anything you're saying,as of yet you have said nothing wrong.And this should be nothing but a friendly exchange about comedian,how serious is that. LOL

Robin Williams and Tom  Hanks both  started as comedians and made the choice to the switch.Tom Hanks dressed as a woman on a sitcom and Robin Williams was on  Mork and Mindy,they are both now well accomplished actors.You can tell they put in the time to learn and hone their crafts.

I feel that Eddie Murphy is just as awesome and I also feel he was robbed of an Oscar.His depth as an actor is something that needs to be commended but I don't think Hollywood will ever give him his  fair due.

I myself don't see Martin attempting that jump,he's a comedian.

1. profile image0

lollol no argument there.  lol

Yeah, that's true. I can still remember watching the old episodes of "Mork and Mindy" as a kid.  Plus, "Big" used to be one of my all time favorites as a child, and still is.  It's interesting to see how well both their careers have shaped up thus far.

Yeah I agree with you about Eddie Murphy, as I thought he was great in "Dreamgirls", but it was rather sad that the Academy didn't elect him to win though.  Oh well, it wouldn't be the first time the Oscars let me down, as I can name a lot of movies and actors/actresses that were snubbed in the past that SHOULD HAVE won versus the ones that did.

2. profile image0
    Martyv25posted 13 years ago

I hope he is making a comeback, ok he might not be the greatest actor in the world but his movies are enjoyable.

What was the drama? didn't hear about that over here in England

Here's the link Martyv 25,check it out.

http://articles.latimes.com/1999/aug/26/local/me-3869

1. profile image0
        Martyv25posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the link, guess my Martin Lawrence knowledge is a bit out of date.

3. optimus grimlock profile image60
    optimus grimlockposted 13 years ago

maybe a movie comeback but hes been producing for the past few years. he also has his comedy show on stars for the past few years.I've watched him since house party and i would say nothing to lose was the worst thiong hes ever done!!!

4. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

A comeback?

A comeback would mean that his career took off to begin with, elevated to a point and then dropped off, then rose again.

I don't even know if his career ever topped out to begin with. lol

Well,it's obvious you're not a fan of Martin Lawrence,but you do know his name and who he is,so he's doing something.

Bad Boys 1 and 2 were awesome pics,he had his own sitcom for years,countless moveis,he's been behind the scene producing and directing and he's definitely getting paid for it,so I think he has a career.

Doing something that you enjoy that doesn't feel like work is a career everyone wants and dreams of.

Hey,Cagsil maybe comedy isn't one of your faves,but I love to laugh and he's very good at that.

I'm looking forward to seeing much,much more of Martin Lawrence whatever he wants to bless us with of his talent,I'll take.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/4529789_f248.jpg

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is your choice of words- "comeback"?

That's all. Yes, I know who he is, but that doesn't mean anything really. Yes, I've seen the movies you referenced and I enjoyed Bad Boys the movie.

I wouldn't put him in the same class as some other actors, and yes he is funny, and no I don't have a problem with laughter either. You assume too much from my statement.

5. Pearldiver profile image68
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

Oh That is SO Great.... Will Gregory Peck and Andy Griffith be Joining him? hmm

Wow.. An Actor in the same caliber as Millie Vanillie - Cool smile

1. PerfectJumpOff profile image58
      PerfectJumpOffposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Boo!

1. PerfectJumpOff profile image58
        PerfectJumpOffposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not cool pearldiver!

6. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

I stand corrected- IMDB has him in the same class as John Travolta and others.

I apologize. However, "comeback" is still the wrong word, considering below-

Bad Boys II (2003)     $20,000,000
    National Security (2003)     $20,000,000

No comeback is necessary. He is still on top of his career.

7. optimus grimlock profile image60
    optimus grimlockposted 13 years ago

bad boys 2 sucked it took them to long to the it.

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 12 years agoin reply to this

whats the it?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)