Is it Time to Abolish the Minimum Wage?

Jump to Last Post 1-41 of 41 discussions (375 posts)
  1. profile image0
    awesome77posted 13 years ago

The minimum wage is a joke and I think it should be abolished. Let the market system determine what the wages should be!

I know, some of you will scream and holler, but as a former retail business owner, it undermines the market system for wages.

1. profile image0
      china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The market sysem will do what it always does and pay as little as it can, you may not like it but it prevents the near enslavement of large parts of the workforce.  You forget what things were like in the past too quickly.

1. profile image0
        awesome77posted 13 years agoin reply to this

well, you forget living on minimum wage is a living hell! If abolished some workers will be more needed and wages will rise. Creating an artificial barrier is an illusion that will not help anyone.

1. kephrira profile image60
          kephriraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't see how getting rid of the minimum wage could increase wages.

The problem with allowing the market to set wages without interference is immigration, which tends to put a big downward pressure on wages for low-skilled worked.

If you stop immigration then you can let the market decide, and if the wages are too low then people won't do the job and they will have to rise. But otherwise employers just import cheap labour (or get cheap labour from new immigrants) and keep the lower end wages down at a level that is  lower than a proper living wage.

2. megs11237 profile image61
          megs11237posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes living on minimum wage is hell so lets try China's way of doing things right??

After all they have no minimum wage, they go by the good hearted business folk and the "market system".

For example-

Foxconn the people who make the iPad everyone loves to buy, was paying there workers so cheaply and working them like dogs that the job stress contributed to their suicides.

Well no worries after the tenth suicide they raised their pay 20% from the $130 the were making.

These people take these jobs because they have to and then when they realize just how bad their only option is they would rather die.

I mean they could really teach the unemployed around a lesson huh?

Here is the Article:
          http://gizmodo.com/5542527/undercover-r … ll-factory

This is business unregulated. Want some? Think it can't happen here in America, think again. It already does and it's only going to get worse the more we deregulate.

Sort of like this:
          http://news.newamericamedia.org/news/vi … 5b8c73263d

I guess he shouldn't complain I mean for 14 hours a day 30 days a month he could make a living right?
          Enjoy.

1. profile image0

Actually, if it was up to me, China goods would carry very high tarrifs not because of the low wages but, because of the clever manipulation of trade rules with the agreement of U S congress!

1. profile image56
              C.J. Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Agreed. I don't think most people understand just how much this has had a negative impact on our economy.

1. profile image0

Yeah - go and blame someone else for your ingrown problems big_smile

The US has been a net importer for more than twenty years - your economy has been in crisis for longer than that.  The only thing holding you back from tipping over the edge is your war industry. The people buying the goods from China and selling them to you ARE your own masters and the very people who make your trade rules and laws. 

You now have a huge problem, China is set for economic expansion for the next twenty years, as your economy stalls and slides, and will be the biggest market AND the biggest producer - the days of the US imposing its unfair trade advantages are pretty much over.

1. profile image0

China can expand all it wants, but your system of govt is doomed to fail. You fail to realize that the west owns the intellectual properties used in most manufacturing in china.

USA has problems but i would take it any day over communist china!

The topic is on minimum wage requirements in the USA not the lopsided trade laws that currently favor China!

2. profile image56

Never blamed someone else. It's a problem of our own creation. The trade agreements between China and the US are lopsided.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image66
                    Ralph Deedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's true. China steals technology and doesn't enforce intellectual property rules. That's where the old expression "Chinese copy" came from.

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
            Wesman Todd Shawposted 13 years agoin reply to this

AWESOME REPLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  EPIC REPLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I COULDN'T HAVE OUTDONE THAT ONE IF I'D TRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"let the market work things out," that is the stupidest bit of G.O.P. propaganda I've ever heard repeated, and I hear it time after time.  We've got people so stupid in the U.S., that they just repeat whatever their favourite parrot in office says, and they believe that crap.  Nobody tries to think for themselves, we've all been socially conditioned by the globalist media.

2. lady_love158 profile image60
      lady_love158posted 13 years agoin reply to this

There's no need for it never was.

1. megs11237 profile image61

Did you read the articles I posted from unbiased sites? It is factually incorrect to say there is no need. Whether we will have it is one thing but we certainly have plenty of examples of why we need it.

Back to disagreeing.

3. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81

So, you want to have clothes made overseas for five cents an hour instead of ten cents an hour?  I see, you sir make a fine capitalist.

Your reply makes no sense? I want everyone to have the right to make a living wage and a real one. Or are you not talking to me. smile

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81

Who me?  I might have replied to the wrong person, megs11237; I apologize if I did.  I haven't had enough coffee yet today.

No problem. I totally understand lack of coffee issues. smile

4. Dave Mathews profile image60
      Dave Mathewsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have been a "Trade Unionist" and a Contract Negotiator for over 47 years.  If you abolish minimum wage which is a government control over the minimum that an employer can pay an employee then you could end up with slave labour conditions because no employer wants to pay even a fair price for labour the cheaper they can get labour the better as far as they are concerned. What would be more beneficial for all, is for the government to raise the minimum wage and lower the cost of living expenses, but this is not in government's interest. Shake your head and smell the coffee man.

G.O.P. tea drinkers sometimes think that capitalism is righteousness in motion, they've read that stupid Ayn Rand book, and fell for that crap.  There is nothing good or fair about capitalism, and people will never do the right things for other people unless they have to.  Of course that is a generalization, and there are good, fair people, even some good, fair tea drinkers; but by and large, the G.O.P. sold us down the river, and paid someone overseas or South of the border less money to do the jobs that we were doing.  Why?  "so the market could work itself out."

In English, that translates as:  "I'm a greedy, canabalistic pig, and I enjoy bacon."

2. profile image0

the govt is not good at running a business. Everyone forgets you are free to start your own business and then pay to your hearts desires!

Do you know about 70% of new businesses fail within the first 5 years. All invested money gone.

You talk about unions, they have so screwed up the wage scale in this country. Can you imagine in NYC they have some sanitation workers making more than teachers, doctors. Toll collectors making more than many graduates.

Now, you act surprised many companies are running to low wage countries!

3. artlader profile image59
        artladerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for that, Dave.

The last thing we should think about doing is abolishing the minimum wage.

And you explained why.

Regards,
        Art

5. ceciliabeltran profile image64
      ceciliabeltranposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree. If someone's going to do a job for 50 cents, then let him do it for 50 cents. It's a free country. Put an offer out, and if there are takers, let them take it. But know that as the job becomes more competitive/in demand if your salary offer is too low, you will lose your workers.

The minimum wage is just giving the jobs to illegal workers.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image61
        Evan G Rogersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wurd to that! I know numerous managers who wish they could hire more people.

The problem is that hiring a kid at 7.00/hour doesn't compensate for the 6.00 in revenue per hour they'd gain by hiring them.

Want an entry level job because you're a teenager entering the marketplace trying to boost your resume? Too bad!

1. ceciliabeltran profile image64

absolutely... I think it's not easy, but it will definitely bridge some gaps.

6. TomC35 profile image58
      TomC35posted 13 years agoin reply to this

When times are good and companies are competing for employees, that would work swell, but right now when times are tough and it is hard for people to get jobs many businesses would severely try to get as close to slave labor as possible. 

I used to believe all in the market system growing up, but once in the real world idealology is left behind.  Reality sets in, and that reality is regulation is needed unfortunately.  You cannot have expect businesses to truly run by the honor system. Even those started by well meaning people can grow so big and cut throat that they will cut corners, even moralistic ones (or even ones that hurt themselves in the long run).

Q1:Why are people looking for jobs?

A1:Because they can't get hired.

Q2:Why can't they get hired?

A2:It's not worth the money to an employer to hire them.

Q3:Why isn't it worth the money to an employer?

A3:Because the potential employee is only worth $X/hour, but the employer has to pay him $X+1/hour.

Q4:Why does a McDonald's restaurant have more machines than people?

A4:Because when you make labor cost $7.25/hour, you make "buying a machine to replace a worker" much more cost efficient.

Q5:What are the long term effects of having so many specialized machines? (eg: a machine that perfectly measures out how much change needs to be dished out instead of relying on an employee to count it out)

A5:Those super-specialized machines cost money, and thus the capital structure of these buildings will permanently be set at $7.25/hour labor-rates.

Q6:What does that mean?

A6:It means that the minimum wage literally makes low-skill employment harder to come by, and it artificially makes high-skill jobs heavily sought after... even thought they aren't needed.

1. John Holden profile image61
          John Holdenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why can't they get hired?

Er, there are no jobs for them, cutting wages would produce no real increase in demand for labour. It might produce a few more baby sitting or cleaning jobs but it isn't going to sell any more cars or produce anything beyond personal wealth.

Trying to compete with Asia is a bit of a dead loss, why would you want to compete with slavery, compete in the fields you can compete in, you used to have the hang of engineering, go for that and other jobs where the demand for labour generates jobs that naturally pay more than the minimum wage.

2. artlader profile image59
        artladerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

> Reality sets in, and that reality is regulation is needed

Amen.

We have learned that lesson the hard way, have we not?

Regards,
        Art

2. optimus grimlock profile image60
    optimus grimlockposted 13 years ago

Theres pros and cons on both side of the issue. I believe you should be paid based on abilities, how you work with others and customers. That will weed out the poor workers so you don't need a minimum wage. The problem without one you will have some owners who underpay there people just because their cheap.

Which is a huge majority. I will agree with awesome 77 the payroll taxes. Like all taxes they are inefficient and burdensome when they should be simple.

3. SpanStar profile image60
    SpanStarposted 13 years ago

The post I've read here certainly lightens my heart as it sound like there are those here who have the voice of reason.

Suspect around the world there seem to be one aspect of life we can't get away from, it's called greed and with greed we seem to never be satisfied.  If a product is selling well in the market place, let's raise the price so we can get even more for it.

4. profile image0

how many here have actually run a business and try to meet payroll?

If you look at it carefully, govt rules seems to be the problem and not the solution.

Feel free to setup your own business and pay yourself what you want!

1. SpanStar profile image60
      SpanStarposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Working for corporation we would constantly be told how our sister/brother company is doing so much better with production then we were but when we finally began traveling to our sister companies and brother companies they informed us they were being told the same thing about us.

Secondly one of the big shots from headquarters came down to our plant and began giving of the riot act about how we are not performing in producting the volume need to be conpetitive in the in the market only he got so involved in his talk that I'm sure he didn't mean to say this,"Do You People Know We Only Have 85% of the marketplace!"  he stopped his speak after that.

This has nothing to do with payroll had this coporation has always been profitable and I mean way back in time and is still profitable today.

5. Evan G Rogers profile image61
    Evan G Rogersposted 13 years ago

The minimum wage is a plague on society.

If you aren't worth $7.25 to an employer, then you won't get hired.

It increases unemployment, and increases the cost of living.

"BUT THEN EVIL CAPITALISTS WILL PAY US LESS"

Yeah, but you'll actually HAVE a job.

1. Jillian Barclay profile image74
      Jillian Barclayposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And what a great job to have! You will die on the production line from starvation, because you won't be able to afford food or anything else...do you say these things just to p*** people off or are you really so shortsighted?

1. CMHypno profile image84
        CMHypnoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The interesting thing about all of those who want to drop the minimum wage is that they assume that it won't affect them or their earnings - see how keen they are on it when they are made to take a 25% wage cut!

it really wouldn't affect my wages:

I'm earning a graduate's degree in Education, and am earning licensure.

If someone isn't willing to pay me $40k+ a year, I'm not going to work for them.

BUT! Things WILL be cheaper: instead of buying "expensive technology item #15" to do the job that a human COULD be doing, it WILL be done by a human who's earning experience.

The same reason you need to prove you have good credit to a bank is the same reason why minimum wage needs to be abolished: proof of history.

But I'm happy to demand that others work for a tenth of that if it means my income is secure.

If others haven't been able to further their career to the point that they are NOT working for more than $2.00 / hour when they are 40 years old...

... then no minimum wage is going to solve their problems.

Sorry, but we don't live in the Garden of Eden.

Easy, work for restricted wages and no matter how hard you work, how long you work, the wages stay restricted.

Or are you trying to tell me that there are no employees in the US who only employ minimum wage workers, sacking them when it becomes incumbent upon them to pay more than the minimum wage?

What has the Garden of Eden got to do with anything? It is not my idea of a Garden of Eden to work at a job that doesn't allow even the most basic of life's nessecities.

why would your wage be restricted?

If you can get more money in another job... TA-DA! you get more money.

Your analysis is making the fallacious argument that you're stuck in ONE job, and that there is only ONE employer.

Perhaps this is why you revel the Government so much?

What does the Garden of Eden have to do with it? Why, my good sir, we don't live in a land where we can have anything we want without work - we must work and provide a service for our fellow man. If our work only benefits society by $2.00 an hour, but we have to be paid $7.00 an hour, then, unfortunately, instead of being hired, you'll be unemployed.

2. Evan G Rogers profile image61

what kind of people will VOLUNTARILY work for $3.00 an hour?

Obviously entry level individuals with little to no training and experience. i.e., 13 year olds who want to prove they can handle a job.

If you're 30 and only making minimum wage, then.... .... ... it's really YOUR fault.

I feel bad for the people you teach.. There is always going to be the need for lower wage workers to clean toilets, pick food, factory workers etc. You want to pay these people 3/hr.

You have no understanding of different sociological situations and their effect on people. You have no idea about living in poverty or squalor which is it like to born into these situations.  Or your so spoiled you don't get that there are jobs that are that menial but still necessary and you think those people should be abused for their lot in life.

You have no compassion sir. Hopefully you won't be teaching kindergartners. Maybe you should do educational sales or something.

Cleaning toilets is worth more than $3.00 an hour.

Good job on that. Many janitors are pulling $30k+ salaries which is MUCH more than minimum wage. Hence, they wouldn't be affected by minimum wage.

"There is a famous road that was built with good intentions", and you are asking me to continue its construction. Sorry, but I'm going to use my head instead of my heart.

Quit accusing me of hating children. This is nonsense and nothing more than an insult.

I simply know that life would be happier without minimum wages.

Tell that to all those on the minimum wage!
              Oh sorry, forgot, those without the advantages you've inherited can go and whistle.

the only people who i know that are on the minimum wage are 16 year olds who want the money to get more experience.

OH, and... uhmm... quit insulting me?

In that case how do you feel qualified to speak about adults earning a minimum wage?

And how am I insulting you? By pointing out you have advantages not shared by everybody else?

You're implying I don't know what I'm talking about simply because I had a father who saved up money and spent it on me.

That's an insult to my ability to learn.

I never say you hate children, Evan. I implied that it would seem your personality is not suited for education of kids, if that is where you were taking your degree.

And clearly you have no idea of the truth. Some Janitors like union protected janitors - yes they do have those- do get paid well. Some university janitors get paid well but no no and no they do not all make 30k a year. That is a flagrant exaggeration. The national average for a janitor is $9.24. That is assuming he doesn't have a degree from janitors school.

At 40 hours a week that is around 17,800. a year.

How about you make decisions about others lives based on facts instead of personal distortion.

You did insult me. Here are some quotes:

"Or your [sic.] so spoiled you don't get that there are jobs that are that menial but still necessary and you think those people should be abused for their lot in life." (awesome use of punctuation, by the way).

"You have no compassion sir. Hopefully you won't be teaching kindergartners. "

To me, that last one sounds pretty close to  "you abuse children by misteaching them".

So, thanks for that.
                ----------
                quote:
                "How about you make decisions about others [sic.] lives based on facts instead of personal distortion."

You're doing the same thing!! Wake up!!

"And clearly you have no idea of the truth."

I can make the same argument about you!!

This is your argument: "POVERTY EXISTS!! PAY THE POOR MORE AND PEOPLE WILL BE HAPPY!!! YOU DISAGREE?! YOU ARE CLEARLY EVIL!!!"

Give it a rest. I'm not going to be manipulated by your emotional sophistry. Freedom is NOT slavery.

Your quote:
                "And clearly you have no idea of the truth. Some Janitors like union protected janitors - yes they do have those- do get paid well. Some university janitors get paid well but no no and no they do not all make 30k a year. That is a flagrant exaggeration. "

Actually, way to show your true colors of hypocrisy (you claimed I wasn't basing my arguments on facts... well...)!!

I did do some research, and it seems I was only off by about 15%! The average pay is ACTUALLY $25k.  I would NOT call that a "flagrant exaggeration".

http://www1.salary.com/Janitor-salary.html

So... anyway... I have yet to be convinced by your emotionally laden argument.

sounds like I was saying? But I didn't say that right? And I told you what I meant which is your personality doesn't seem suited for teaching children.

And I do not say pay the poor more, I say do not do away with the minimum wage of 7.25 because there are a lot of jobs that need to be done that are menial and those people will be exploited. These are working people we are talking about not welfare recipients.

I go by everything you say exactly which is you say things about people you know nothing about.

I did research as well on payscale.com in MA, no degree, and Mass is higher paying. The average wage was 9.24. (which was the average of the range of salaries) and usually janitors do not have degrees.  The lower end starts at minimum wage. you think that the few people making 25k should represent the ones making minimum wage.

Freedom? What to exploit people? That's what you fight for.

I do not need to convince you of anything. In fact I highly doubt you have the ability to see anything other than what you choose to see. Despite what I consider dangerous character defects on your part, I actually hope that karma doesn't catch up to you because I do care about others even if they don't deserve it.

You know what else this was a response to if your earning minimum wage at 30 its your own fault.

I am not 30 and I do not exactly earn minimum wage but close enough.

My point was not to say anyone should pay me more but that there are some people who are suffering the ill effects of the economy, we are looking for no handouts, but we don't need to be categorized and treated like trash by the likes of you. I actually have plenty of job history and experience but times are tough and you do what you do.

Maybe it's different in Japan.

3. Doug Hughes profile image61
                  Doug Hughesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"The median expected salary for a typical Janitor in the United States is $24,290. "

Evan - this is a quote from the web site YOU found.  That's NOT 30K and it's not 25K. Looks to me like you were off by something closer to 20%.....

Evan G. R.  have you ever visited the real world?  Or are you in some office all day, catered to by pretty secretaries?  You watch a lot of tv, don't you?

No, i watch not TV.

I don't work in an office either

So far you're 0 for 2... let's see if you strike out...

YES YOU DO! I LIVE in the real world!

You batted a perfect strike out! thanks for playing!

No, see; I was being as kind to you as possible.  You should have just said, "yes, I'm a catered to rich boy with my head deluded by mass media."

The other options are much less kind or appealing.

Being against minimum wage doesn't make me rich.

I'm a grad school student who is paying his own way. I'm very grateful that my family was able to put me through Undergrad College.

I taught English in Japan for 4 years and saved up enough money to go to Grad school.

notice: I SAVED my money so that I could invest it to make MORE money in the future.

So, in the light of that admission, how exactly were you insulted by my observation that you had advantages not shared by everybody?

3. profile image56

"If you're 30 and only making minimum wage, then.... .... ... it's really YOUR fault."

That's the ugly, bitter pill of truth. Don't expect many to swallow that one.

Yeah, i know, but it needs to be said.

A lot.

It's not true. So is doesn't need to be said and shouldn't be said.

You forget that in the current economical situation many people have had to take  lesser  paying jobs to survive.

Myself included. I used to make much more and then my company downsized and in order to survive I took a much less paying job. I also consistently try to do more than just work one job.

And you are the same type of people who s*** all over people who are on unemployment and won't take the job I am willing to take.

Frankly you have no compassion no empathy no understanding and your head is up you a** and I have had  to spend the last year of my life humbling myself over and over again and I do not need you pompous narrow minded fools propagating lies about people you don't know and situations you will never understand. IF YOUR LUCKY.

And do not assume to categorize me. I do not own any expensive handbags or shoes or clothes. I cut coupons and always had even when I had money. And i did save but you know what after working for less you have to use the savings. REALITY dude. Give me a break.

You know nothing. You generalize about everyone based on a few bad apples in this life.  You are the worst kind of people because you make decisions based on your negative feelings about things you know nothing about. You think it isn't emotional but it is because it isn't based on facts. Its like a form of bigotry.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
              Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Clap, clap

why are you applauding this drivel? It was nothing but insults and hypocrisy.

2. profile image0

You tell 'em Megs !!  -  half the people I know have gone from their smug position to garage attendant or whatever because their jobs dissapeared.  Mostly only the a@@-lickers survive at the moment - I guess the shame of having to grovel at work to keep your job makes people nasty huh big_smile

3. Evan G Rogers profile image61

"You forget that in the current economical situation many people have had to take  lesser  paying jobs to survive."

No, I didn't forget this at all. In fact, this is an argument AGAINST the minimum wage. If people have to accept a lower wage, then a MINIMUM wage would force them to unemployed.

You agree with me! Great!

"Myself included. I used to make much more and then my company downsized and in order to survive I took a much less paying job. I also consistently try to do more than just work one job."

(I have no idea how much money you make now, I'm going to use $30k) Aren't you glad that there was no minimum wages of $35k? If there were, you would've been fired! And you would have NO job AT ALL.

"And you are the same type of people who s*** all over people who are on unemployment and won't take the job I am willing to take."

Thanks for categorizing me, even though you ask for ME to not categorize YOU!! you're a hypocrite! Good job on that!

"Frankly you have no compassion no empathy no understanding and your head is up you a** and I have had  to spend the last year of my life humbling myself over and over again and I do not need you pompous narrow minded fools propagating lies about people you don't know and situations you will never understand. IF YOUR LUCKY."

Good job on misspelling words, and viciously attack me! You'RE a credit to your species and argument! It's hilarious to read you attacking ME for having NO empathy, when YOU are standing there insulting ME!! BRILLIANT!!

You'RE a credit to Big Brother!

"And do not assume to categorize me."

Why not?! You did it to me about 5 times already! You hypocrite!

"I do not own any expensive handbags or shoes or clothes. I cut coupons and always had even when I had money. And i did save but you know what after working for less you have to use the savings."

Same here, buddy, same here! I'm glad to see that you ASSumed that I was a rich guy, when in fact I'm not very rich at all!

"REALITY dude. Give me a break."

No thanks. No break for you! You were very mean to me, and you didn't really make a good argument. All you did was assume I was a mean rich guy, when in fact ***I have NO CURRENT INCOME***!! I'm living off of money that I EARNED and that I SAVED.

"You know nothing. You generalize about everyone based on a few bad apples in this life.  You are the worst kind of people [sic.] because you make decisions based on your negative feelings about things you know nothing about. You think it isn't emotional but it is because it isn't based on facts. Its like a form of bigotry."

None of this is true! I am merely pointing out that minimum wage is a plague on society, and you are accusing me of being a Satan-incarnate.

... EVEN THOUGH YOU AGREED WITH ME IN THE BEGINNING!!!

----
              I'm reporting you, by the way. Your post was quite inflammatory and insulting.

Oh, and hypocritical.

1. profile image0

You cannot seriously be reporting that post !   There is nothing in there that does not reflect reasonable opposition to your posts in these threads, in fact I thought she was being quite moderate given the naive drivel you put up that got her reaction.

Maybe it is time you took a break to calm down a bit.

1. Misha profile image64
                  Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That and another posts where an outright personal attack IMO. I reported them, too. I think some ban time will positively affect our new lefty - of course if moderators agree. smile

Hey, you know what you can ban me because you don't like what I say, that is fine.  But I won't ban you even though you did the same and I am sure misha won't as well.

I am not a lefty either.

I will be sure to stay out of these forums where only some people can say what they want about others.

Good Day.

2. profile image0

I find it hard to believe that a moderator would agree with you - especially in relation to the abuse that your buddy puts out himself.

Especially if the moderator happens to be on minimum wage big_smile

3. William R. Wilson profile image61
                    William R. Wilsonposted 13 years agoin reply to this
                  4. Ralph Deeds profile image66

When you were in school I bet you were the one who took pleasure tattling to the teacher on your fellow students.

~applause for China Man~

"hooray for insulting people! yay!"

ARE YOU SERIOUS?!

let me quote what he wrote to me:

"Frankly you have no compassion no empathy no understanding and your head is up you a** and I have had  to spend the last year of my life humbling myself over and over again and I do not need you pompous narrow minded fools propagating lies about people you don't know and situations you will never understand. IF YOUR LUCKY.""

You find NO insults in that paragraph?! Really?!

He even misspelled "you're"!!

When did I say you were rich?

When did I say I want more money?

I was fired dude what are you talking about? After I was promoted so it wasn't my work ability. I have tons of great references as well so I know I did well at my job.

And I was categorizing your statements about people who are like me. I say you know nothing and I mean about the people you are talking about.

How can you make a general statement about everyone who is 30 making minimum wage?? And I didn't think spelling was too much of an issue because we are in a forum. I didn't say you were Satan but you are lacking compassion and empathy and understanding. I will not take that back.

I am not making an assumption I am going by what you say about people like me who have really had to humble ourselves due to the economic climate which wasn't caused by  minimum wage. I was responding to you. I was characterizing your comments.

And it isn't nice to say things about people you do not know who have been in a such a situation. And how can you say that minimum wage would fix that when other countries show that to be false.

Menial is a factory worker who assembles your computer or so Foxconn thinks. Do you think they deserve such poor wages when they work all day? Where is the evidence that it is better without minimum wage?

3. megs11237 profile image61

"I do not own any expensive handbags or shoes or clothes. I cut coupons and always had even when I had money. And i did save but you know what after working for less you have to use the savings."

I was talking about my buying habits not yours? What are you talking about?

"No, I didn't forget this at all. In fact, this is an argument AGAINST the minimum wage. If people have to accept a lower wage, then a MINIMUM wage would force them to unemployed."

What? No sense. Example please.

You yell at me for things I did not say about you. But you did say If I make minimum wage and I am near 30 it is my own fault.

Here's your quote:

"Frankly you have no compassion no empathy no understanding and your head is up you a** and I have had  to spend the last year of my life humbling myself over and over again and I do not need you pompous narrow minded fools propagating lies about people you don't know and situations you will never understand. IF YOUR LUCKY.""

IF you can't see why i'm mad at you, then you apparently fail to understand English.

4. John Holden profile image61

No more inflammatory and insulting than many of yours, should I report you?

As for hypocritical!!

I can't believe you're taking Megs' side on this...

Unbelievable.

2. profile image0

On top of the other disagreements with your stance above - if Capitalism as it operates at the moment is the be all and end all - how come there are so few jobs, how come the wealth gap in teh US and most western countries is constantly increasing in tune with their depressing of the economy - how come China are making an extra 10% jobs per annum - how come what could be a very reasonable stance for much less government becomes a raving looney rant about NO government instead.

I think you fail to look at the lessons of the past - and when you do glance over your shoulder you cherry pick the bits of info that might support your case.

we don't practice "capitalism" we practice "almost socialism"

did you notice how about 50% of your income goes to the government through taxes?

Federal income tax + state income tax + sales tax + gasoline tax + you-name-it tax + when you die you owe money to the state for some reason tax = ~50% of your income.

Also: the argument about "the wealth gap" is... less than intelligent.... The poorest of the poor are able to live off of the TRASH of the wealthiest.

Think about that: in our world today, the people SO wealthy that they can actually LIVE off of completely UNWANTED items. Translation: if you didn't want to work AT ALL, you could live for probably 40 more years without doing ANYTHING productive for society. It might not be a good living, but it's about equal to what some people with jobs about 200 years ago could live.

The poorest of the poor today are richer than the majority of the people 300 years ago.

The rich are rich because they invested money and successfully predicted the future constantly. In doing so, they made life better for billions of people.

ps-  I completely ignored your "raving looney rant" and "failure to look at the lessons of the past" arguments.

Thanks for insulting me! That was charming!

No, the rich are rich because they gambled with our money and struck lucky.
          They did not constantly successfully predict the future, remember depression?

They have been very successful though at pulling the wool over the eyes of otherwise intelligent people.

Ooooo you just entered the realm of the Austrian Business Cycle Theory!!!

Are you ready?! ARE YOU READY?!?!?!

On a day to day basis, entrepreneurs make countless predictions about the future. Those that are incorrect get punished, and those that are correct are rewarded. Thus there is a natural method to keep those that are good at predicting on top.

But, in a depression, suddenly ALL of the entrepreneurs make the SAME mistakes at ONCE. How is this possible? Every single person who made their career at being successful at making predictions SUDDENLY make the exact mistake as everyone else?!

There's a reason for this. And that reason is known as "the interest rate".

How much is a promise for a dollar in one year worth to you? Would you be willing to give someone 90 cents today for a dollar in a year? 85? 75? Whatever the price, this is "the interest rate".

However, this completely natural phenomenon of borrowing money is distorted profusely by monopoly institutes called "central banks". For example, right now, key interest rates are LITERALLY at 0%: in order to get a dollar next today, it costs you nothing in the future.

These interest rates are (disgustingly) set by (in the US) the Federal Reserve. How does the Fed change the interest rates? By giving money to lending institutions (banks). In order for someone to borrow money for free, there needs to be enough money to be lent for free!

This is why the money supply in the US has doubled in the last 3 years, and Quintupled in the last 15 or so. There is SO much money being created that banks are able to "lend" money at NO cost to anyone.

What happens when such lunacy exists?

Well, sure, you have a lot of money... but so does everyone else! People begin to bid for resources - prices in sectors like "steel production and mining" skyrocket... but not for long.

Eventually, reality sets in: there is only enough steel for so many buildings. But because entrepreneurs thought they had more "wealth" (measured in dollars), they thought they could start building bigger and bigger buildings. If you look around the world today, this is indeed what happened: numerous towers and skyscrapers around the world are not only vacant, but are completely unfinished.

Wake up: the entire world's economy is in the hands of but a few nitwits at the Federal Reserve.

Those at the Fed don't agree (and were likely never taught) this thinking because it didn't come from the mouth of their God, John Maynard Keynes (in fact, he's so popular, my spell check recognized EVERY one of his 3 names).

Here's a fun video explaining the Austrian theory:
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0nERTFo-Sk

"Prepared to be schooled in my Austrian Perspective."

I believe it was you using chaos theory to illustrate a point, if it wasn't forgive me but chaos theory is what drives all your sainted masters of money.

For Austrian Business Cycle Theory read Chaos Theory and if you want something a bit more solid may I recommend The Drunkard's Walk by Leonard Mlodinow.

Chaos Theory, the BOOK, does not explain the Austrian Business Cycle Theory.... so... I'm going to have to accuse you of not having read the book.

I haven't read "The Drunkard's Walk" but I just found a video that I'll watch.

PS - my "sainted masters of money" are the people in an economy. YOU decide what entrepreneurs will build, YOU choose where to invest YOUR money.

3. TomC35 profile image58
      TomC35posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Evan, you maybe came from a silver spoon, or never struggled in life, but anything less than current minimum wages is not worth having.

Also, by your theory of letting the market decided, if employers lowered minimum wage, it would lower everything along a sliding scale, and if wages fell across the board, then spending would follow and then prices would have to eventually drop, thus those companies would still not make any more profit, and would still opt to buy machines versus people when they could.

if nothing lower than the current minimum wage is worth having, then why would people agree to work for less than minimum wage?

Obviously, because it IS worth having to them. Don't legislate your own views onto others.

1. William R. Wilson profile image61

Right, because not starving to death is worth whatever it takes.  Aside from the abhorrent amorality of your statement, frankly if you cut wages for enough people who are already living on the edge you'll have another French Revolution on your hands.

1. Jim Hunter profile image61
            Jim Hunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Is that a call for violence?

Tone down the VITRIOL and RHETORIC.

Hey, I thought you were in favor of death threats against your political opponents?

I never said I was for death threats against my political opponents.

You fabricated that.

I didn't fabricate it, I inferred it from the context of our conversation:

http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/1496 … threat.jpg

You stated that you have no problem with people receiving death threats after they are named on Glenn Beck's show.

I certainly don't have a problem with it.

But I never said I was for it.

You fabricated that.

6. Paul Wingert profile image61
    Paul Wingertposted 13 years ago

There was a time when this country had no minimum wage. How did that go?

1. profile image56

Horrible. It lead to unions. They served a purpose and then were overcome by greed.

2. tony0724 profile image60
      tony0724posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Apparently compared to today alot better.

1. profile image0

You clearly don't read a lot of history with your comics.

2. William R. Wilson profile image61

http://dwd.wisconsin.gov/dwd/dwdhistory/images/child_labor_big.jpg

Yes, things were so much better for working people before all those pesky labor laws.  Stupid unions.

without those jobs, the families would've starved.

Yes, because the father wasn't being paid a living wage for the work he was doing.  Thus....

drum roll, wait for it.....

minimum wage laws.

the plague of "demand side economics".

1. profile image0

No - the plague of unprotected labour

yes yes yes, without government we'd all be forced into trash compactors for the benefit of some guy with a monocle.

1. profile image0

That is pretty much what happened in WW1 - if you read it up - almost exactly what the general did when he marched 20,000 men into the German guns - to see where they were placed so that he could refine his battle plan.

But then those guys were only there because wages were so low they could not support their families - and the war also about getting rid of the surplus labour that were talking at that time about what a good idea the Russian revolution was.

The Russian revolution caused mainly because the mass of people were earning less than would support a family.

History is a great teacher.

2. Doug Hughes profile image61

This is so evil, it's appalling.

Let's do away with the minimum wage so papa's wages can be slashed, AND, let's abolish child labor laws so kids can be exploited.

Evan, there are reasons why people react to your opinions - so negatively.

Right right right... sorry, let me switch dogmas:

"IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH"

"If we force companies to pay more money to their laborers than the laborer is worth, then we'll all be millionaires!"

"WAR IS PEACE"

"Letting people make decisions for themselves leads to evil!"

"Man is inherently evil!"

"FREEDOM IS SLAVERY"

If we force companies to pay more money to their laborers than the laborer is worth, then we'll all be millionaires!

Letting people make decisions for themselves leads to evil!

Man is inherently evil!

"Minimum wage is good because, clearly, making sandwiches at a restaurant should be worth a salary to feed, cloth, house, and transport, educate through a master's degree, an entire family of four!"

"Government creates wealth!!"

ugh... i feel so dirty...

1. profile image0

Not dirty, just ignorant of history and the lessons that can easily be learned by a bit of reading.

Yes yes yes, I've not done reading.

Thank you for your riveting response.

"WAR IS PEACE!"

2. William R. Wilson profile image61

Wow.  So it's ok to pay daddy .50 an hour because Junior can also work for .25 an hour and the family will be able to keep themselves alive to work another day.

Jesus Christ Evan.  You need to stop digging yourself deeper.

IF you pay daddy 0.50/ hour...

HE'LL LEAVE FOR A BETTER JOB

3. DTR0005 profile image61
                DTR0005posted 13 years agoin reply to this

No Evan, but people are definitely the following: greedy and exploitative. And this applies to your great "Captains of Industry" and  the average laborer and to me and you. It's just what we are - it's human. We look to exploit a weakness in our fellow man. If someone says, "Hey Evan, I'll cut your grass for $5.00" you will snap that up in a heartbeat even though you realize it's about a $15-$20 job. And you won't care about what is "fare" - I might not either.  And by the same token, the guy offering to cut your grass will size you up and ask himself if you are stupid enough to pay $35. And he won't care if he is breaking one off in you. You know, supply and demand, etc. You need some type of minimum as a check and balance because the guy with the cash ALWAYS has the upper hand in the contract; you are already in posession of what the guy selling his service is looking for - the cash. And that's a basic tenant of contract law. I didn't event this idea.
                There is a reason why the Birchers, your idealogical idols, kind of faded from history Evan. Now we call them  Libertarians. But this philosophy, this movement only tends to gain traction when things go wrong in the economy. Once this Recession is over, trust me, the Libertarians and the Tea Partiers will be an interesting footnote in history - and that's about it.

I was in the middle of typing a long rebuttal.

But I know that I'll just be called evil, immoral, or some other form of "Satan".

minimum wages are unnecessary because you could always work somewhere else.

2. ceciliabeltran profile image64

I mean, do you guys know where the jobs went--to china where labor is cheap. It is just in the meantime. You need to stimulate businesses first. The US is bleeding jobs to asia.

You need to respond to the times. How many people would like to have a job any job. How many people need support and extra help but can't afford help. May those two meet and more people will eat.

1. profile image0

In Asia, China for sure, those cheap jobs are in a different setting.  Even the people who collect plastic bottles here can earn enough to eat and live at some level.  A cheap job can support a family if the surounding economic environment is also cheap.  Three excellent meals a day cost ME around $3 in a restaurant. And low paid don't pay tax, or house or poll tax - and low paid is under 700 dollars per month !

In the US, most western countries, low pay means something else and is a different issue as the economic environment is different. Little cheap food, expensive accomodation and services.  It also seems to attract negative attention from police and authorities in general.

market forces. If you reduce pay, you eventually reduce cost of living. If nobody could buy your food, your charge less for it. You reduce cost of help, you reduce cost of food. 

The only way to solve the job market problem is to let people get any job they can get and employers to offer jobs for the actual value it generates.

1. profile image0

I guess that would be one way for the US to overcome its 20 years of net imports and constructed wars - by bringing back sweatshops and child labour.

This would provide more jobs to construct and maintain the prisons to put those who object to this kind of near-slavery.  Why not go all out and import a load of free workers from Africa, after all they are making a mess of their economies too.

Or of course you could legislate to stop the banks and corporations overcharging and forcing the prices up, then maybe the prices would drop to realistic prices and then maybe wages would naturally reduce.

2. profile image0

You are ignoring the control the banks and corporations have over the economy  -  the modern barons who pretty much run US life unchallenged.

By the way - nice to see you back in full swing - and with your fact based arguments with some meat in them.  It doesn't make you right, but it IS a pleasure to argue with big_smile

3. junkseller profile image78
                    junksellerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So value of product minus cost of creating product equals profit? Right?  Cost of creating product is partly labor costs so if labor costs are lower value of product can be lower?  Right? 

WRONG?

Cost of creating product includes all payroll costs which is both labor costs AND management/CEO costs.  The problem isn't that NO ONE is making money, the problem is that money made by labor has been flat for 30 years while executive pay has risen dramatically.

Reducing worker pay won't lower cost of goods it will just increase even more the disparity of pay between rich and poor.  We haven't been able to afford stuff for awhile.  They didn't lower prices, they just invented credit cards.

4. junko profile image69
                    junkoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Isn't it time to abolish the crazy max. wages of Suits in the financial and corporate workplace. I think 90 and 100 plus millon dollar bonuses is obscene on top of a  multi millon dollar salary. Are we ready to consider lowering wages on the bottom and not think about the top. Those suits are protected by the (redistribution act) and the underpaid can hope cost go down when their wages is lowered.(tricle down act) The American dream is over and it's becoming a nightmare for the working class.

PS, i AM satan.

Quit calling me evil.

7. mortimerjackson profile image58
    mortimerjacksonposted 13 years ago

Yep. We should definitely dump minimum wage. I mean, forget poor people. Pfft. You mean people struggling to make a living? Hey here's an idea. Get a real job! I mean, mothers in the ghetto working two jobs just to feed their kids? Hey. Survival isn't a right. It's a privilege. So if you aren't born white or with financial opportunities, that's your problem. Can't survive on your own? Nope. Not my problem. What, did you think we lived in a "society"?

You libertarians. What will you think of next?

1. profile image0

You fail to see the point!

We humans inherently are born lazy, physically and mentally!

Show me one govt program that have lifted people out of poverty?

Some schmuck invested his or her money at great risk of losing it all if the business fails and now you come dictating how the dollars are paid!

Look at cities with so called RENT LAWS? Total failure!

If we want a Swedish type of economy, then so be it, but this is pure capitalism.

8. dablufox profile image56
    dablufoxposted 13 years ago

Big corporate multinationals would love to do this, abolish minimal wage protections.

But who would this benefit, the worker? I don't think so!

How much money does a person need 1 Billion, 20, more?

Hoard money for the sake of hoarding money.

If all business people focus on creating 'value' instead of finding new and innovative ways to making a quick and easy buck.

The minimum wage issue wouldn't be worth mentioning!

I give you Google as a perfect example, value first, price second!

I think we should force EVIL COMPANIES to pay us all $8,000,000,000,000,000 every SECOND!!!!

then we'll all be rich!!! And then when we spend the money, the businesses will be even RICHER!! then they can pay us more!!

YEAH!!! ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

9. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 13 years ago

I think it would be good if the minimum wage were raised to a level that made tipping unnecessary in bars and restaurants.

I think that minimum wage, since it's so good and great, should be $8,000,000,000 / second.

That would make us all rich!

... ... ...

10. Hugh Williamson profile image75
    Hugh Williamsonposted 13 years ago

The minimum wage is just that - a minimum. It doesn't apply to most businesses because they must pay more than this minimum to get the type of employees they need.

In my years as an employer I cannot recall ever paying minimum wage to anyone. It seems like more of the "let someone else make the sacrifices" theory and it isn't very relevant to our economic woes.

it's nothing more than a political tool to make yourself look nice...

... but unfortunately it has real consequences: unemployment.

1. Hugh Williamson profile image75
        Hugh Williamsonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

For the US to extricate itself from this economic mess, it will take a huge realignment of the whole economic structure and governmental structure. The minimum wage is way down the list as far as being something that will make a real difference. Try...

Military Spending
        Debt Reduction
        Balance of Trade

Addressing these isn't as easy as tinkering with the min. wage but they will sink us if not fixed - and this means everyone will have to make sacrifices - not just laborers, not just management - EVERYONE!

wurd to that.

2. DTR0005 profile image61

Well yeah, we could all work for $2.10 an hour and have close to 100% employment. Then let me guess, the magic hand of the market would kick in and prices would plummet to match wages, right? Washing machines for $50.00! Cool! Real estate prices would tumble in lock-step, the populace would have no "extra money" to dump into corporate America (401 K's, etc.) Sound familar Mr Wizard? Wow.. yeah I agree - lowering the minimum wage or eliminating would be a real "BOOM" to corporate American - for about 4 months then the economy would tumble. Then you and your Bircher buds could start you own little fiefdom... Dude.. where do you get your logic?

11. Smkmdb11 profile image57
    Smkmdb11posted 13 years ago

It's a good starting point, lol. I don't think it should be abloished if there is anything else that can be done to make sure that people who are qualified and deserve higher pay get it, but if a child is starting out there is no reason not to pay them minimum wage. If they have children and live on their own than there should be some exceptions, however.

1. profile image0

Yes - like all those people you sub-class due to education or IQ or misfortune  - Really glad I contributed all that money over the years for GOVERNMENT controlled education so that smart-ass 'I got a good job' smarmy pis ants could crow !  Bring on the next depression so they can crow in the soup queue.

Thank you.

12. Smkmdb11 profile image57
    Smkmdb11posted 13 years ago

They work for it. You could have but I can tell you didn't. Dont blame the high classes for that. Blame Jimmy Carter for connecting Government to school.

1. profile image0

You clearly can't tell anything - I have been an employer pretty much all my working life and I know full well that if anyone finds paying minimum wage a hardship they are not running their business right, but most pay minimum wage to support their own inflated smug lifestyle.

1. Smkmdb11 profile image57
        Smkmdb11posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I can't tell anything...? lol. Most businesses do not pay minimum wage. You must be a liberal. The problem with people who think like you is this. If you run a business you do not have to pay minimum wage to your employees. It does not affect you at all. If something doesn't affect you, leave it alone. It's great for kids on their first job who do not need a bankroll but do need a lesson in appreciating the money they get. I'm sure in your perfect world everyone would get the same amount to be equal. This country is beautiful because you can work your way to the top and if you do, you deserve to be that "i got a good job" person you spoke of earlier. I highly doubt you have ran anything because I can tell you are very young. Grow up. You probably are receiving minimum wage now and thats why your so hard on the subject.

"you forget the past to easy".....
          maybe you should take your own advice....

2. profile image0

You seem to be able to tell a whole lot with your narrow perspective and blinkers on, you also seem to like pouting your opinion - but you are extremely short on facts.

Instead of ignorant abuse you should try an argument, otherwise you just come over as a mindless fool.

where are your facts? this was an opinion and you jumped all over me. you need medication man, seriously, lol. Have a good one.

yeah, i noticed the same thing.

"You seem to be able to tell a whole lot with your narrow perspective and blinkers on, you also seem to like pouting your opinion - but you are extremely short on facts."

.... said the man who is doing the exact same thing...

1. profile image0

Ii think you have enough to do defending your extreme and naive views as it is without getting involved in answering for others.

And I love your accusation of emotionally laden . . after your emotionally laden reply to some guy above big_smile

For the people who aren't going to bother looking up the quote, here is what provoked my "emotionally laden reply". Megs wrote this to me:

So... g'head and make your own conclusions.

13. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 13 years ago

I confess to feeling ambivalent about the minimum wage.  I imagine that any country which has a minimum wage also has a welfare state, which means that abolishing MW won't necessarily create more jobs as some people here say it would.  Or put it another way, it might create job vacancies, but that doesn't mean those vacancies will be filled. (There's a large number of people out there who faced with a choice between working 100 hour weeks for £3.00 per hour* and going on the dole would definitely opt for the dole.)

*Minimum wage in the UK is currently just under £6 per hour.

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In province Ontario, Canada where I live, minimum wage is $10.25, though people who work at bars could get less (supposedly they get tips)pay. Other provinces - BC for example have $8 minimum wage. I work for minimun wage. I am happy I have it. I t is not enough for living, I have to have a second one, that pays more than min but it is part time.
      Yes, I agree, it is my fault. I raised kids, I helped my husband with his business, I helped everybody but myself. Now I am paying for my "shortsightedness" for my whatever you call it. I f we did not have minimum requirements, many people would have paid less - much less.

1. profile image0
        EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm not the one on here saying "it's your fault if you earn minimum wage".  I'm just pointing out that there are other, hidden factors at work (like the existence of a welfare state) which mean that the overall picture isn't as simple as some people make it out to be.  And that oversimplification is practised by people at both ends of the political spectrum.

14. Yankee Reb profile image60
    Yankee Rebposted 13 years ago

FIRST OFF - if this was mentioned in another post - SORRY - too many posts to read all of them!

From what I have seen and remember

1 - minimum wage has done nothing but make the rich even richer!
    2 - it has forced our labor out of reach of competitive global manufacturing.

now our government is trying to reduce our income value by allowing illegals to work here at a deflated wage to force our prosperity levels down toward a more global wage so we will one day be able to compete with the emerging markets and will have more work for the socialized worker's

If the minimum wage has done nothing but make the rich even richer, why aren't more rich in favour of the minimum wage?

Why has it forced your labour out of reach of competitive global manufacturing? It hasn't in the UK.

I haven't heard the rich speak out one way or the other...

it sounds more like you're taking an absence of evidence as evidence in one direction instead of the other.

almost like Bush before the Iraq war...

The rich don't have to speak.  That's what they pay Rush, Becktard and O'Rly to do.

2. Yankee Reb profile image60
        Yankee Rebposted 13 years agoin reply to this

why aren't more rich in favour of the minimum wage?
        that is because your people are taxed more.

up to $34,000.00 USD is taxed at 15%
        $34,000.00 USD = 21,402.9 GBP which is taxed there at basic rate of 20%

51,870.6 GBP is taxed there at 40%

51,870.6 GBP = 82,400 USD.which is taxed at 25% here.

Here is another fact:
        in 2008 the median income in the USA was $52,029.00
        the median income in G.B. was 55484. GBP (equal to $88,140.00 USD)
        which means 40% of your wage is gone before you see it!
        and you people are at a median income which is nearly 30% higher than the USA!

IF you want to play with the numbers too - this is my source for those numbers

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/lif … _rates.htm
        http://www.moneychimp.com/features/tax_brackets.htm
        http://www.x-rates.com/calculator.html

I'm struggling to understand your argument here and totally fail to understand its bearing on the minimum wage.

I will point out though that nobody pays 40% on their whole income, that 40% rate applies to income over £37,401 or $59,607. The income tax paid on £37,400 is at 20%.

1. Yankee Reb profile image60
            Yankee Rebposted 13 years agoin reply to this

WOW! You said: I will point out though that nobody pays 40% on their whole income

that's impressive ...

The point I was trying to make is this - rich people do not seem to (in general) want to be singled out for more wages ...

In order to cover more wages one has to raise the cost of everything past that increase ...

Consider this ... how much stuff is sold globally which is made in the U.K.?

Honestly - I doubt that I own even one  single item made in the U.K.
            (of course - if I could - I would own an English Sports Car)

Basically - your countries higher wages look as though they have squeezed you out of a global market

like this comment at http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/pers … ation.html

Experts fear that a period of 'stagflation’ - high inflation and stagnant growth - could see Britain wave goodbye to its economic recovery.

... sure the powers that be are focusing on the fact that poorer countries are spending the larger part of their income on food and utilities - however - they are also not buying things because they don't have enough revenue to afford things made by higher waged production

... unless it is subsidized by someones tax generated revenue.

You are confusing political issues with economic, we have been blessed recently with a government who has seen the way out of global recession by cutting back on expenditure.

We are actually exporting very well at the moment, many of our industries are showing huge increases in exports. Land Rover for example have seen an increase in exports of around 15%, and that's with a minimum wage! The thing is that if you want something like a Land Rover, there is no competition from China.
              Likewise, many specialist engineering tasks can not be fulfilled by China.

There is no evidence that wages have squeezed us out of global markets.

Where UK exports have really suffered, the minimum wage just isn't a factor as the minimum wage plays little or no part in international banking and international banking is where we have been really caned over the past few years. Not just in the US have banks had to be bailed ot with the taxpayers money.

2. DTR0005 profile image61

You make a good point about taxes in the UK. What you may not be aware of is that health care which you have through the NHS, I believe, costs me with an advanced degree and many years of experience in my field 17% of my gross income per year and it is going up steadily. If you leave your job or get sacked, you still have your national health care to fall back on - I don't. So while my taxes may be 20% of income, I am actually paying out a hell of lot more and getting less. I may not be paying 40% to the government, but I am being HEAVILY "taxed" by private health insurance nonetheless.

Actually, the basic rate of tax in the UK is 20%,you have to be earning a fair bit to be paying 40%.
            The first c£34,000 is taxed at 20% so in reality nobody pays 40% tax.
            In the US you pay dearly for your freedom from taxes.

1. DTR0005 profile image61

You're right John. See the notion in the US is that it's a real bad thing to pay taxes to your government, but a very good thing to take it in the rear by private enterprise running what amounts to a monopoly. And the argument is, ready for this - "choice."

15. sir slave profile image59
    sir slaveposted 13 years ago

Now you see what making a retarded suggestion like that gets you.
    most of the people on this thread agree with sanity, and that is that every single provision workers HAVE was fought for like a bitch by people standing, starving in the freezing cold of the 1930's!!!  IF we abolished the minimum wage, you better have some hoover stlyee camps waiting, because people are just holding on as it is!!  grow a heart, it will lead to you being able to grow a brain and  then a real concience!

Without minimum wage, some people who have jobs now, would not have a job period. Some people's time is not worth as much as others because some people do not have the required skills or training for some positions. Nice comment slave.

16. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 13 years ago

there are some states that don't have a minimum wage law and some that pay below the Federal law.maybe move to these states to start a business;
    Tennessee,Alabama,Mississippi,South Carolina and Louisiana do not have minimum wages laws

here's a link to view each states minimum wage laws
    http://www.dol.gov/whd/minwage/america.htm

17. barryrutherford profile image74
    barryrutherfordposted 13 years ago

I always find it incredulous that those that wish to abolish the minimum wage know that it won't apply to themselves...

1. profile image0

They don't think it will apply to themselves you mean, I know a good few people who thought they were safe in their jobs who saw the other side of that coin for themselves.  The last two were University Associate Deans who went from in excess of 70,000 GBP to retired overnight recently. I wouldn't want to wish that situation on anyone, but then a few people here . . .   big_smile

1. sir slave profile image59
        sir slaveposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hard times, they can happen to anyone.
        ive known whats its like to want a home while living for ,months in a trailer....
        the minimum wage was ignored as a valid issue in congress while the republicans were in charge. the only recent increase was in 2007.
        96 was the last one before that. in that time congress voted itself several pay raises!!   PIGS!

18. profile image0
    Muldanianposted 13 years ago

This post is obviously written by someone who has never had to worry about where their next meal is coming from or how they are going to pay the rent.  At the moment the poor are getting poorer in every country, whilst the richest are getting richer.  Whilst I understand that this seems fair to the rich and the natural order of things, to the poor the situation is becoming unbearable.  The cost of food, electricity, water, rents, mortages are going through the roof, whilst wages are being reduced, as are welfare benefits, and provision for the sick and elderly.  And the bankers, who started this situation in the first place are still receiving their £9 million bonuses.  It makes me sick and angry.  So your suggestion to end the minimum wage is really adding insult to injury.  Is turning the West into one great big sweatshop really what you want.  Yes, this would be great for the employers, but employees also have the right to live in a dignified way, without the fear of losing their homes or not having enough to pay the bills after a hard week's work.  I sometimes wonder if this economic situation has been caused by the rich as an excuse to punish the poor by reducing their income and taking their homes away from them.  So no, the minimum wage, little as it is should stay in a civilised country.  In the UK cabinet, all MPs are super rich and come from an aristocratic background.  There is no one who comes from a workng class background.  Democracy is coming to an end, and the fact that no one is doing anything to prevent this means the rich are having it all their own way.  I long for the revolutions to come, but know that they won't.  Instead, people ask such stupid questions such as whether the minimum wage should end.  Shows the way the world is going, and I for one hate it.

1. profile image0

Oh, you have no idea what hardship means! My story will make you cry for joy. you speak as if the freedom to setup your own business is taking from you.

Create your own business and try to meet payroll. I know the rich have certain advantages, but creating a minimum wage law will not affect them one bit.

Remember this are private businesses we are talking about here. Try risking your capital against all odds and then have to deal with crazy rules made by politicians who specialize in spending us to death.

With all the minimum wage increases, poverty rate still goes up

With all the free social welfare money given out, poverty rate still goes up

Can you say not enough is done in regards to social spending?

Hey be careful you might be banned for saying something like that. Don't act like a lefty or anything.

19. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

LOL We finally got a company to LMC and MM. Are they by chance all the same person? wink

20. profile image0

Reading some of the responses baffles me. The sense of entitlement is prevalent!

Please, in the age of the internet, setup your own business and stop waiting for another schmuck to create one.

Many things you can do to make money online, but it involves work.

Trust me, if you think you have it bad, wait to hear the bad luck story of your other citizens.

Wake up! Most of the jobs lost are not coming back. Create your own and be free to make as much as you can.

1. Misha profile image64
      Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Whining is always easier smile

How is that not an attack?

they didn't ban you, eh?

2. Ralph Deeds profile image66

Tattling is easier still.

2. John Holden profile image61

I can't speak for everybody else but I am sorted, I am however concerned about others.
      Not everybody is capable of creating their own jobs. It isn't instinctive and it isn't taught in school.

21. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

I would just like to say that I know someone who has a BA and a PHD who, due to health problems, is stuck taking temporary jobs at minimum wage. She did nothing to deserve this. Not everyone is in low paying jobs due to laziness or lack of drive. Her job prospects are also poor due to age. This woman deserves a living wage...

It would be great if everyone could create their own businesses and be successful and make lots of money, but that is not realistic and those who think it is are not living in the real world. (NOT A PERSONAL ATTACK)

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you UW. I think in Canada if you are 40+ your chances to get a well paid job slim to nothing.

2. profile image0

You look at this issue from a negative and that only brings negative results. Well, let me give you some ideas of what the jobless person mentioned can do if in able body and mind

1-- Write articles, how many can she write a day? I have seen well written articles (500 words or more) go from $6 or more. How many can she create daily

2-- Write and publish them on hubpages daily! You know, we have some here making good money monthly here.

3- create a website - easy learning curve and create your own online empire

4-- does she have a reliable skill, then she can go on ELANCER to see if her skills will be needed.

5- She can create an ebook on many topics and publish them on AMAZON

You see many ways to go, instead of victimhood.

Everyone is looking for a job, but no one is willing to risk the capital to create one.

The govt cannot create jobs, because it does not know how to run a business. It is up to us to create own own jobs or find a risk taker that will give you one.

That is another generalization and an attack as well.

Who pray tell is claiming to be a victim?

Again your assuming things about people which you do not know.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80

She writes a lot but is more interested in the craft than making money. It's too bad, she is an amazing writer who should be making the big bucks.

She does not see herself as a victim. She is happy with any job she can get.

Does she write on here at all?

I am sure she isn't a whiner either. smile

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80

She used to.

22. brimancandy profile image79
    brimancandyposted 13 years ago

Oh hell no!

If you get rid of the Minimum wage, it will just go back to the depression. People worked all day and night for next to nothing, while big business owners became billionaires.

The only thing this will succeed in doing is having a huge percentage of the population working part-time for $2.00 an hour or less. Businesses already know that they can pick and choose who they want to work for them, because of the massive pool of the millions of unemployed. Paying them even less when they are already cutting wages now, would just be a huge bonus.

The company I worked for about had a heart attack when they passed the minimum wage, and cut workers pay to make up for the difference, and hired half of what they would normally hire. If they thought they could get away with still paying people $4.85 an hour, they would, and they would still cut labor. This from a Company that is currently boasting a 2 billion dollar yearly profit.

There might be wage competition, but, the amounts will only go down. Anyone who thinks the cheapskates who own half the business in this country would pay better wages is living in a dreamland. Every company I ever worked for always cut labor before anything else. It's just what they do.

23. Sapphireid profile image62
    Sapphireidposted 13 years ago

Hello Brimancandy,

I actually believe that taking away the minimum wage will ruin the value of the 'Beginning of a person's work History.' When children start work, they don't understand the value of money or the value of a work life. However, as they continue through their work history, value of money and work life can mature. I like your intro above. We don't need to go back to the depression. Heck! Our USA country was hit with Main Street & Wall Street hitting Bankrupt in 2007/2008, declared by the government in 2008 and the country is still working thru recovering.

1. Christy Goff profile image60
      Christy Goffposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The answer is simple, NO employers should not be allowed to pay employees less.  Not everyone has the same opportunities as others, and have to work a couple of jobs to make ends meet.  To sit in judgement of someone else without knowing their situation is insane.

24. junkseller profile image78
    junksellerposted 13 years ago

No, it is time to DOUBLE the minimum wage and then grab all other incomes below median wage and lift them up to accordingly fall into line with the new minimum wage.  Then lop off 10% of the total wages made by everyone above median wage and let them redistribute their incomes as needed to pay for the low wage income modifications.  Reduce income taxes.  Add Sales tax.  Cut all major spending programs in half (including defense). Add massive investments to infrastructure, education, and innovation.

"People shouldn't be responsible for their own actions!!"

25. SpanStar profile image60

Allowing industry, business to dictate how people should be pay must not have been such a good idea since they changed it.

Background
    A sweatshop in Chicago, Illinois in 1903Statutory minimum wages were first proposed as a way to control the proliferation of sweat shops in manufacturing industries. The sweat shops employed large numbers of women and young workers, paying them what were considered to be substandard wages. The sweatshop owners were thought to have unfair bargaining power over their workers, and a minimum wage was proposed as a means to make them pay "fairly." Over time, the focus changed to helping people, especially families, become more self sufficient. Today, minimum wage laws cover workers in most low-paid fields of employment.[3]

Certain business now can't pay Americans low enough salaries so they govern seas and pay them low wages.

Oh yes the arugument is to be profitable but can anyone say how much is enough?  You have a billion dollars is that enough?

1. brimancandy profile image79
      brimancandyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Exactly. This is the reason why removing the minimum wage would not work. If companies are so unwilling to pay a good wage in the U.S., and move their companies to other countries for cheaper labor, what makes anyone think that they would be willing to pay more here if there were no minimum here?

If they stayed in the U.S. with no wage restrictions, they would stay only because they will assume that everyone will have to work for less money, and it would be a domino effect of companies lowering salaries across the board. They are already getting rid of long term employees, cutting benefits, and going with temp services, so they have a continuing stream of low paid workers. Every major company is cutting staff, and sending a lot of those jobs over seas, where people are willing to work for a dollar a day. The difference is that people over there can afford it, because their cost of living is totally different than ours.

26. Diane Inside profile image71
    Diane Insideposted 13 years ago

I don't know how it would work if they abolished minimum wage altogether, but have you noticed that as soon as minimum wage goes up, so does the cost of living.  Everything gets a price increase from gasoline to toilet paper, and food.  Rents increase as well as utilities.

If you don't believe me just watch what happens once the next minimum wage increase happens.

So I just think all it does is increase inflation.

It seems pointless to raise minimum wage when all it does is raise the cost of everything else.

No, I haven't noticed that and I doubt if you really have.

2. profile image0

You are upside down - the minimum wage is geared to inflation, when inflation goes up your gov puts up the minimum to keep up.

So all those poor people are not driving up the cost of living that is completely down to the US and UK inability to maintain their flawed economic policies - whatever party are stealing you blind.

3. CMHypno profile image84
      CMHypnoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So a load of people get exploited so that we can buy cheap toilet paper?  One of the big inequalities that needs to be eliminated in this world is that for those of us lucky ones to have cheap clothes, electronics, cars etc, there are poorly paid people struggling to get basic accommodation, food, and medical aid. Its not fair and its not right

27. SpanStar profile image60

Sadly,

People think and talk like the economy and our society is the best there is and so we have to live with how thing work, but I'm certain there are better ways of creating a society but incorparting less greed is something a lot of people will not go with because we've lived with this kind of system for so long.

I would change for something better for everyone in a minute.

28. Dr. Poeta Diablo profile image81
    Dr. Poeta Diabloposted 13 years ago

The minimum wage is always a good guideline for newbies that have just entered the workforce or for part timers say at a fast food place.
    In my opinion, abolishing the minimum wage may be good in the distant future, but the initial downfall it would cause would be terrible. The workers will either suffer exploitation level wage or unions will be forcing employers to pay over and above level wages.

Once you allow business to lower the minimum wage, fighting to oust the Unions will be next. Walmart closed several stores in one state at the same time, to avoid having to pay union wages. The problem is that nothing is being done to keep big business on it's toes. Continuing to allow them to do whatever they want with their employees, is only going to get worse if something isn't done about it. The Minimum wage is the only thing we have.

for some people they don't even have that. but illegal workers do.

I agree with this. I think the best thing is to just make it easy for employers to hire below minimum wage for certain jobs that have minimal value.

29. John Holden profile image61
    John Holdenposted 13 years ago

To all those who predict wondrous happenings if the minimum wage  was abolished, remember why it was introduced in the  first place.

It was introduced to counter unacceptable levels of poverty, and, in the UK at least, to cut down the subsidy of businesses by government.

But then if you really fancy the US being just another third world country go ahead, it's no skin off my nose.

A minimum wage law is compulsory unemployment. The law says: it is illegal, and therefore criminal, for anyone to hire anyone else below the level of X dollars an hour. This means, plainly and simply, that a large number of free and voluntary wage contracts are now outlawed and hence that there will be a large amount of unemployment. The minimum wage law provides no jobs; it only outlaws them; and outlawed jobs are the inevitable result.

You keep banging on about how not allowing slave wages causes unemployment,  how come it never happened in the UK?

Do you not suspect that unemployment might just be the responsibility of the bosses and the bankers?

Do you really think that slavery should be legalised?

the unemployment exists, you just don't see it because it's "normal".

OR

The minimum wage wasn't even necessary because companies were already paying that much.

It's mostly the first one: are there still people who operate the elevator in the UK? Once you had to pay them 5 bucks an hour, those jobs went out the window.

---

Let me say this for the last time.

Just because I don't think minimum wage should exist does NOT mean I like to torture kitty cats, or that I'm the son of satan.

Quit saying things like "you hate minimum wage, thus you want slavery". It REALLY makes your side of the argument look foolish.

Competition raises wages, and thus slavery won't exist.

If you answer the following question in the negative, then you prove your argument to be false:

"Would you work for $0.50 an hour to collect garbage?"

IF you answered "no", then you clearly understand that wages would NEVER collapse to "slavery" levels.

So how long has there been a minimum wage in the US and for how many years before that did the market and competition have to raise wages?

Or what has changed to make the market work when it so miserably failed to in the past?

2. junkseller profile image78

Competition doesn't automatically raise wages.  It just allows the markets to set wages at appropriate levels.  It doesn't matter if I would work for 0.50, it matters if someone else will.  Minimum wage is a defense against allowing the market to drive wages down into the dirt.

Yeah, I think Evan has a terribly naive idea of how competition really works. 

Competition only has a real impact at the level of profits.  One of the easiest ways to increase profit is to cut payroll expenses.  This means that there is a constant downward pressure on wages.

It does not work the other way around, where the best man gets paid the most and the other men are just out of luck.  Rather, the best man gets paid as little as possible, and everyone else gets even less.

And competition doesn't work at all without the watchful eye of the Justice Department, SEC and other government regulators. Adam Smith talked at length about the tendency of businessmen to conspire to raise prices and screw their customers. The worshipers of Smith's magical "indivisible hand" conveniently ignore Smith's warning about conspiring businessmen.

2. junkseller profile image78

Yes, I suspect Evan has a job tree growing in his backyard.  It is the only thing that would seem to explain his belief that anyone, anywhere, and at anytime can simply walk off their job and easily find a better one.

I'm happy for him if he does, but he really just doesn't seem to understand the reality of the world the rest of us are living in.  The one where people get fired rather than given a raise and then if you can even find another job you end up being paid less than the guy your former company hired to replace you.  And none of it has anything to do with talent or skill or hard work.

yes yes, I'm evil and fail to understand everything.

I demand an end to minimum wage. I'm not stupid. I'm not naive. I'm not evil.

Supply and demand: a price is generated by supply and demand. Minimum wage doesn't create jobs, it just forces the price lower. Shortages ensue.

Basic economics shows the problem.

Oh Evan, nobody is saying you are either stupid or evil.

But why oh why do you insist on forcing people into poverty?
                    Why, if market forces sort every thing, is there a need for a minimum wage?

Do you really think that making the US a minimum wage country, competing with third world economies, the way to go?

Can you actually explain how that works?
                    As I see it if you put more money into the economy more goods are bought and more jobs are created but you tell me that this creates unemployment!

Give somebody a pay rise, so they can afford to buy two loafs of bread instead of one, why does that force prices down and create shortages? Surely your free market will absorb the increased demand?

3. junkseller profile image78

I didn't say any of those things, but, whether you like it or not, your comments, which have been numerous, about going out and getting a better job ARE terribly insensitive to the realities in which a lot of people find themselves.  If you can't hear the millions of people who are shouting about it than you aren't listening.  If you hear, but don't care, than you'll have to live with whatever is thrown your way I guess.

As for the economics, minimum wage is NOT a basic economics problem.  It isn't supply and demand lines on a graph.  To really examine the issue requires quite a bit more than that, such as elasticities, market segmentations, corporate and group coercions, other government policies, etc.  And that is all without even adding in international considerations.

I'm nowhere near smart enough to do that examination, BUT, considering the wage trend for the low and middle class over the past 30 years, I personally feel that the macroeconomic patterns in place would push wages below the minimum wage floor if it were removed.  And I think what a lot of people are reacting to (including me) is that there is a whole big pile of us that are hurting and can not afford any more of a loss.  And it isn't, I can't buy a latte today hurting, it is, I don't know what the heck I am going to do tomorrow hurting.

With that being said, it seems to me that your position has always been that the minimum wage policy is bad because it DOESN'T WORK, not that you have anything against improving the conditions of the poor.  There's certainly nothing "evil" about that and in a simple and/or perfect market, I might even tend to agree with you, but I just don't think it is anywhere near that simple (or perfect).  It's messy.

30. tritrain profile image70
    tritrainposted 13 years ago

There's a lot of political and economic theory surrounding issues of human behavior.  My belief is that virtually all people are inherently self-interested.  It's how we have survived as a species.

However.

What I have realized over the years is that people vary in how compassionate they are and how willing they are to share. Most people at the top of the proverbial food chain do not tend to share their wealth with others, except those in their inner circle perhaps.

We have thousands of years of history supporting the tendency to oppress others. Fiefdoms, "communism", dictatorships, sweatshops, child labor, etc, etc.

We basically need to protect the have-nots from the haves.

As much as I would like to see the market dictate value and reward, I don't think it works in the long run.

The tendency leans toward the stronger fish eating the weaker fish.  The smaller stores lose to the bigger stores. Monopolies form. Political influence further strengthens the positions of the few, at the cost of the many. 

Although I am not a Marxist, I do wonder if we as a population almost need a revolution.  No dynasty or empire has lasted.  Eventually the breaking point will be reached and we start over.  For now, we regulate in hopes of keeping life "fair and equal" a little longer.

it is not just an economic trend, its a biological trend. its called emergence. groups really organize into one. cells became animals, families became tribes, tribes became nations and now globalization. it constantly unites and breaks up. the thing to do is to be ahead in predicting the trend and responding appropriately.

one example is the music industry. It has come full circle. Musicians have to play to make money again.

1. tritrain profile image70
        tritrainposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Is there a point in emergence in which it could reach a "critical mass"?

31. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Is it time to abolish the minimum wage? This question isn't rational or well thought out. hmm

1. Doug Hughes profile image61

All Right. How do you like this wording?

"Should we take money from the lowest-paid workers in the country and put the money in the pockets  of the richest, non-working aristocrats of this country and pretend it's being done for the sake of ideological purity?"

Doug! You would be a Libertarian if only you pointed this same thinking to Taxation!

Minimum wage isn't "stealing money and giving it to the rich" --- that's called "tax"!!

Minimum wage is saying "it is illegal for you to work for less than $X/hour."; it's a price floor.

The only difference is that, with other price floors, the common man on the street is the one SPENDING the money - thus, everyone is against them.

But with minimum wage, the person who spends the money is the "richest, non-working aristocrats of this country", and thus everyone loves it."

It's just ONE more example of the Tyranny of the Masses. It's just another failure of democracy... except, in this case, the little guy "wins".

What does he win? Less jobs!

It isn't a price floor, it's a cost floor and all other costs are artificially fixed.
          The cost of sugar used in your coke is fixed, why not the cost of labour?

The cost of sugar in my coke IS fixed! And they have to use a more expensive product, High Fructose Corn Syrup, in STEAD of sugar to produce it at a cost people will still pay!

The "price floor" made prices higher, and thus it has hurt the wealth of the people.

In order for me to get a Coke, I have to pay more than I would normally have to. It costs me MORE to enjoy what I love.

"Doug! You would be a Libertarian if only you pointed this same thinking to Taxation!"

I would be but I can't get my head that far up my a$$.

well, at least you tried!

Numerous times!

And don't deny it, I can smell it from here.

1. junko profile image69

So you want to be call Satan, O'k

32. TheSenior profile image59
    TheSeniorposted 13 years ago

If the minimum wage were abolished and no other safeguards were set in place for the worker - then they would suffer - one of the things that business owners fail to realize is that one one can live on peanuts and there excuse is that 'I can't afford to pay beginning hires more' this is not true - the reason they say they can't is that too many of bus owners are operating on a shoestring and have failed to adequately monitor their margins for profitability - another is that they are not funded enough.

Another reason for low wages is the terrible work ethic in this country with the young people and the way they really don't care about customer service or coming to work on time - I know I have seen this many times. 

I read this article about this restrauant that in the first 30 days had a 90% turnaround in employees due to that fact that all of them said 'they knew what to do' and there was a lack of team work.  If a business wants to succeed it must pay a 'living wage' and at the same time hire those that really want to work And give them the tools that will allow them to work, however too many times instead of giveing employees the tools to do their job it's a set of rules and regs that may put handcuffs on them instead.

33. melpor profile image90
    melporposted 13 years ago

I think the minimum wage needs to be abolished. The government needs to provide some form of funding or tax break for  businesses to allow them to pay people enough so that it will cover basic expense at least.

So you're saying the government, ie all of us, should subsidise businesses, no matter how profitable that business might be!!

wha?

Wha!smile

Well here in the UK at least low earners get tax credits and help with housing costs. This is connected to the amount you earn and not to your employers profitability.

The UK is an entirely different market scenario.  We are talking about the US. I think the UK has a wide small business population that thrive precisely because its Europe and the buying practices are different.

You've lost me there. I'm talking about businesses being subsidised, not markets.

well obviously the two are linked. businesses need a market attitude to thrive in.

The government does?

Also, how are we defining "basic expense at least"?

I only ask this because I've seen numerous videos of homeless people who have been living with a roof over their head, enough food to survive, and all other "basic expenses" which cost them NOTHING.

Societies are becoming SO wealthy that the poorest of the poor are actually able to live off of charity of others, and the waste of others.

the "Basic expense" seems to be nearing $0/hour, nowadays.

1. melpor profile image90
        melporposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Evan, if you are working you should get paid more than the minimum wage level. At least you are putting some effort in earning a living.

What if you're digging holes in a desert and then filling them back up again? does that still require a $9/hour wage?

(pssst, this actually happened during the great depression - the government thought it would be a good idea to pay people money to dig holes, and then immediately fill them back up).

Yes and we all know that all beggars have brand new cars parked round the corner!

The homeless, who live off nothing, contribute nothing to society, they don't generate jobs or income or anything.

Now you're arguing that "a basic minimum wage" should include a Ferrari?

what?

Anyway, the homeless usually do NOT do much for society - I can agree there.

But then I'll go one step further and say that the reason they can't get back IN TO the job market is because they can't say "I'll do this job to prove myself! I need the redeem my reputation, and the only way to do it is to work for half the wages of other people!!"

But with a minimum wage law, he can't do this.

Think about it: You're a manager and some homeless guy comes in to ask for a job making french fries. He says "I need this job so bad. I made some bad decisions in my life, and I want to go clean and straight! I know you've had other, better candidates for this job, but I'm willing to work for less. Give me the job, let me prove myself, pay me $3.00/hour". As a manager, you'd LOVE to hire the guy (after all, you can just fire him if he screws up). But you CAN'T give him a second chance because it's illegal!

With the "oh so wonderful" minimum wage law, this endearing scenario just CAN NOT happen. Second chances are destroyed with minimum wage.

(see, I'm not a heartless bastard who wants people to live in poverty! I'm trying to point out that minimum wages LEADS to poverty)

1. Doug Hughes profile image61

And the guy who WAS making some kind of living at $6 per hour making fries is out of work, unless he cuts HIS wage to less then $3..

Who wins? - the owner who has no IDEA how to make fries...

1. profile image0
              PrettyPantherposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You nailed it.

if the guy loses his job, but is worth $6/hour, then he can quit and find a better job.

Also, everyone else in the economy can buy fries cheaper

But in reality the guy who's lost his $6 an hour job ends up with another $3 an hour job and the price of chips remains the same.

That is actually true for chips. But in a downturn and chips become a luxury than a staple, eventually, the price will go down. If labor costs allow it.

I see the phenomenon in goods, particularly non-essentials. I sometimes help my friend sell her goods at Trade Shows. The cost of labor, plays a huge part in the cost of goods. Buyers buy it a very low cost and doubles or triples them in the store. The profits of stores allows them to hire more people. As the profits dwindle, less people are hired. These are direct immediate impact. High benefits/pay, lower job opportunities. Looking from the inside. You see why american manufacturers are losing out in the big way to Asians.

Looking from the outside I see why American manufacturers are losing out to Asians.

They are replicating the mistakes the UK made half a century or more ago and insisting on hanging on to the old ways. You can't compete with Asia on their terms, not even if you matched wages at $90 a month!

Look at Germany, they don't need to pay slave wages and yet they still have markets, you want a BMW, you buy it from Germany, not Japan. You want hi tech railway equipment, you buy it from Germany, not China!
                    Heck even though we in the UK have sold off most of our big names to foreigners they still sell because they have the British cachet.
                    Look at Landrover, now owned by an Indian company, it is still built in the UK providing 17,000 UK jobs.

Heck we even have a company that makes whistles, you would think an ideal Asian enterprise, it exports masses of whistles to Asian countries.

Get over yourselves, stop saying people must live in poverty and start doing something that Asia can't do better than you.

"The cost of labor, plays a huge part in the cost of goods. Buyers buy it a very low cost and doubles or triples them in the store. The profits of stores allows them to hire more people. "

This looks like logic at first glance. but it breaks down in a real economic system. First, no one hires people they don't need. So the argument that hiring is relative to profits is FALSE. Hiring is relative to SALES - to increase hiring you have to increase consumption.

Will slashing the wages for millions of workers increase consumption? Nope. It will do exactly the REVERSE. Instead of one family per apartment, families will move in with in-laws or double up - 2 families in one apartment. This austerity has a 'trickle-up' effect. For example, the electric company in central FL has had to lay off people because of fewer customers.

The price of fries won't go down - people will be taking bologna sandwiches to work, because McDonalds will be out of their budget. Sales of food will go down - people who have to make do for a family with an income of LESS than 10k per year will buy rice in bulk - a $2 box of cornflakes will be out of reach.

The economy will tumble from a recession to a full-scale depression.

So, for the sake of a guy who might, just might, want a job making fries you'd have ten's of thousands living in poverty!
            If the guy is so keen to prove him self then let him throw the boss a free week?

34. melpor profile image90
    melporposted 13 years ago

I agree with you John Holden.

35. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

Does anyone realize just how many single Moms are attempting to provide for their children while walking to a minimum wage job.

It seems as though the minimum wage is based upon the cost of a loaf of bread and a gal. of gasoline.

When minimum wage was first established at $.75 per hour, a galon of milk was about a quarter, a loaf of bread was a dime.
      But the minimum wage hasn’t kept up.
      And some people think that minimum wage is too high?

Do we  realize that as we raise the bar for the less fortunate,  the quality of life for everyone is raised.

Starving people commit crimes against society.
    And that is only the tip of the iceburg.

36. Sweetsusieg profile image76
    Sweetsusiegposted 13 years ago

I believe minimum wage keeps an honest man honest.  If it was abolished then normally honest men/women would claim they don't make enough in revenue to pay a decent wage. 

To think that a store/business owner would pay more than the current minimum wage that is required by Government is ludicrous.  Think about it.  If you have money coming in, you are going to do everything you can to keep as much as you can.  The small business man is no different.

37. Ralph Deeds profile image66
    Ralph Deedsposted 13 years ago

Austrian School economists and Ayn Randians view the minimum wage as an intolerable violation of free market priciples. Most economists and politicians say that a small deviation from pure market principles is justified in a civilized society. The fast food purveyors squeal like stuck pigs every time an increase in the minimum wage is proposed, but studies show that the minimum wage does not influence employment in the fast food industry.

Corporate America spends millions every year lobbying for regulations which improve their bottom lines. But the Banksters and Chamber of Commerce, Big Oil, Big Pharma, Big Coal betray a consistent "F**k the poor" attitude and conduct.

There are more fast food outlets in my area than anything else! They all charge more or less the same price, differences being in pennies and reflecting the quality of the premises as much as anything else.

Occasionally one will be busted for staffing with illegal immigrants and closed down whilst they restaff. Neither before or after this closure will their prices be different to other fast food outlets.

Therefore it's safe to say that wages have no affect on prices, only profits.

It's anecdotal.

The fact is, the prices don't change because of patronage. Once again these are market forces.  In the food industry, its very hard for staples to be affected, but in other industries, for example manufacturing, labor cost plays a huge part of the cost of goods.

Yes, the prices don't change because the charges are based entirely on what the market will bear, not on production costs.

In many other industries the same principle applies, prices are entirely demand lead and not influenced by labour costs.
          In those few jobs where labour is a major cost, one has to ask if the jobs are really worth having many working in poverty just to steal a march on the Chinese, after all. if they are so labour intensive and of such marginal profitability they do not do much for the commonwealth do they? In fact they probably have a negative impact on the economy, what with tax credits and welfare payments.

I don't understand what you're saying to be honest. China happens to have a culture of business. They will not pay their laborers more because they believe that for every laborer that leaves, another will take his place. I know this first hand. If they value a worker, they will keep this worker and pay him well, even him pay him to just show up without doing anything. They are very superstitious. That is why there is a china town everywhere you go. Their business acumen managed to escape communism. They managed to make money elsewhere doing what they do best.

Their secret is going where the money is, using time to make profit and
            knowing the value of labor. This is not the same as placing a static value on laborers. When the labor is unimportant, they value it less. When labor is crucial they invest. They have a very organic business model. They respond. They will copy if they have to, but staying in a path to no money they will not. It's got its ups and downs.

Americans were notorious for keeping people for as long as they are productive too. You have all these labor laws precisely because in the sixties, laborers are discarded without benefits. It was very utilitarian.

I would say that these safe-gaurds have worked and have improved working conditions here in the US for a while now. But in a downturn, would you not respond. People are losing business and jobs. Insisting on coping mechanisms that were applicable 100 years ago without rethinking them to suit the times is stupidity.

A hint, if what happens in the UK is totally irrelevant to the US, so is what happens in China.

1. profile image0
                EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Surely what's happening in China is very relevant to the US, UK and everywhere else in the West come to that.

A large part of the reason for the minimum wage debate is the fact that people in Chinese factories are making the iPods, computers, clothes etc. that we buy in the West, and they're doing it for wages that would barely keep some Westerners in takeaway coffee.

except that most of the popular american products are made by chinese laborers in china.

i lived in europe, there are many small business in europe that has been there for several generations.european purchasing habits are different. europeans want to be distinctive, so the existence of small businesses thrive. americans like brand names. small business struggle here.

1. profile image0

I would say this is broadly true, however when you say 'Americans like brand names' you are touching on a situation that reflects the near monopoly that a relatively few corporations have on the manufacture or purchase, logisitcs and retail of products.  These corporations choose to buy overseas from China (or wherever) and sell them to the US consumer for prices that undercut the same goods manufactured in the US.  This sell-out by american companies of their 'own people' is one basic cause of the economic crisis, yet these same people through the media they control castigate the Chinese for selling the stuff to them !

I lived in asia, europe and america.

the difference is this: asians buy asian. europeans buy european. americans buy brands. ralph lauren, louie vuitton, uggs. It doesn't matter if its american or not as long as its BIG and its expensive.

2. junko profile image69

cecilabeltran:" labor cost play a hugh cost in the price of goods", In manufacturing. Is that why a pair of tennis made in china for 2dollars labor cost 200 dollars here in america?

Spot on Junko, and even if we in the west made those trainers at a labour cost of $2 dollars rather than 20c, it would hardly bring down western civilisation!

38. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

Things may have changed sinse I read my last business weekly ??

They used to teach that a business must keep labor cost at approx  14 TO 15 percent of groce income. 
       Now come on; If we raised the minimum wage, this does not affect the factory worker,the electrician or the plumber or office personell.

Yep,  blaming the poorest of society for our problems;  that is dead on accurate to where all of our problems lay.  NOT !

39. ceciliabeltran profile image64
    ceciliabeltranposted 13 years ago

This article would prove that minimum wage is an archaic idea that needs to be reconsidered.

40. ceciliabeltran profile image64

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/effects- … -4858.html

"#
    In Texas in 2010, a full-time, minimum wage worker would earn $510 over the national poverty level. Supply-side economists point out that small businesses who are unable to absorb higher wages will simply choose between workforce reduction or passing the higher cost on to consumers. Most choose the latter, which inflates the price of goods and services provided by small businesses.
    #
    Labor Market
    Labor, like agricultural products, is a commodity. The price of labor is directly impacted by market forces. In economic booms, the price of labor goes up as skilled and experienced workers command higher wages. In economic downturns, the price of labor drops as unemployment rises. The result is that skilled and experienced workers displace unskilled and inexperienced workers in lower-paying positions. To small businesses, this is discounted labor, as they pay less in wages for more experienced and skilled employees."

of course no one even talked about this because it completely supports what evan and I are saying. Let's just say its far from the best solution but it does have strong merits.

The first misses out the third option which is that the proprietor takes less out of the business.
        The second that most businesses are wary of taking on over skilled labour as they will be quick to leave at an upturn and they'll not be quite as malleable as unskilled workers.

have you ever met a business man who would sacrifice profit for his country and strangers he's never met. You've never been in business?

That is why the government needs to legislate for a minimum wage!

Market forces won't always allow for a price rise.

41. ceciliabeltran profile image64

This is a clear overview of the pros and cons. See the advantages on get rid of the minimum wage versus keep it.

http://www.balancedpolitics.org/minimum_wage.htm

1. junko profile image69

It's clear john, there it is 12 for 4 against you dispute facts in black and white. Pros beat cons produced by balancedpolitics. lol

Cecilia's information appears to me to have come straight from the fast food lobby. The source was not identified. Here's a more balanced source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_wage

yes, we all think wikipedia is reliable.

If it was truly balanced it would be 6:6 :-)

We've all produced for and against lists and we've all included bias to make them say what we want.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)