Scientology a cult.

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (14 posts)
  1. the pink umbrella profile image74
    the pink umbrellaposted 13 years ago

My father in law gets me cornered frequently and shoves scientology down my throat. Having kept what i believe to myself, he has no idea that hes barking up the wrong tree.

He prides himself on not being a christian because he doesnt like when people "jam it down your throat" which is exactly what he does to me.

He believes that "aliens" have cloned themselves and have put those clones on earth because their race is dying out. He believes these clones make up our homosexual population. (as if homosexuals werent discriminated against enough, now they have to deal with being aliens).

the thing is, he is worse than ANY christian that i have come across. I got so desperate for him to shut up that i let him give me some dianetics book. I figured if i started reading, he would cut it out. First of all, it only made it worse, and second of all, the forst thing the book tells you is not to push the shit on anyone.

Anyway, to get to the point, id like to hear your thoughts. Because the more i read, the more rediculous it seemed.

So scientology.....what do you think??

1. Beelzedad profile image59
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm very sorry to hear that and you have my deepest sympathies. Of course, I think it is your mom who really needs sympathy. smile

2. kess profile image60
      kessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

what makes a cult a cut.. what makes a cult negative?

Is it the lies that it spreads?

If so then which religion is not guilty

the pink umbrellaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So your here to argue with me about my post. Ok, well let me stop you right here. i did not say that all cults were negative, although if you dont believe that than your an idiot.

I never said that religeon is not guilty of spreading lies.

What makes a cult a cult, is common belief. You could just call it a religeon, but in society, we describe little religeous sects that are dangerous and based on nothing as a cult.

What i am saying is that Scientology to me, seems rather silly. Its dangerous when people get involved in something that does not help them, but begins to case destruction in their lives. Maybe you should read up on scientology before you comment on a forum asking about your thoughts on it.

1. pennyofheaven profile image79
          pennyofheavenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What is dangerous is not the cult but the lack of discernment any of its members seem to possess.

3. Pierre Savoie profile image60
      Pierre Savoieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Lots of facts are available about Scientology, and they are very negative facts.

http://www.clambake.org

In 1991 TIME magazine ran an article "The Cult of Greed and Power".  Scientology tried to sue them, tie them up in court.  Scientology lost, which makes the article even more unassailable.  Not a piece of it had to be retracted or apologized for.

2. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 13 years ago

Originally L. Ron Hubbard was a science fiction writer. Personally never bothered with it beyond that.

3. profile image0
    SirDentposted 13 years ago
    1. katiem2 profile image60
      katiem2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ewww thats a hard one.

I guess your father in law doesn't understand

Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still...

i love how the article that sirdent gave me disproves everything father in law says.

2. the pink umbrella profile image74

reading this right now, this ex OT member article. Loveing it, and printed it out to be stratigically placed in the living room. <3

4. arthurchappell profile image45
    arthurchappellposted 13 years ago

keep up a highly critical reading of Scientology and as stated in these forums there is a lot of evidence of Scientology's negative history. With your dad, are other family members and friends affected or is he just targetting you? What would happen if you spelt out to him that you don't believe in Scientology? Can he throw you out of your home or stop any money on you? Does he depend on you? What is at stake if you leave home, etc? Don't rush anything - find allies, etc. Get knowledgable and then start challenging the ideas of the sect though make it clear it's them you are challenging rather than your dad himself - don't give in to any suggestion you try it yourself and refuse to take any of their free personality tests  - good luck

5. profile image0
    Neville Walkposted 13 years ago

A few years ago, I was walking through Birmingham city centre and was stopped by a woman, claiming to be doing market research, who asked if I had time to spare.  I agreed, and was taken into this large room, where I was asked a few questions and asked to take a personality test.  I was asked to purchase a book for £16.00 which I paid for, although I was not actually given the book.  I thought it was a science fiction book, which I do enjoy reading.  The next thing I knew, I was surrounded by a group of people, all talking to me at the same time, asking me the most intimate questions.  My head was spinning, and I kept saying that I was going to leave, but was stopped every time, until an American man was brought into the room, who pushed me back onto the chair, telling me that it was important for me to stay.  I began to be very worried, realising that this was not market research and concerned about what I had got myself into.  I was in there for a few hours, but finally insisted that I was leaving and did so.   

When I was asked at the beginning by the so-called market researcher for my phone number and address, I had given it to her, believing that this was genuine market research.  For several years after this I received several phone calls a week and letters sent through the post, some even offering me employment.  These people are really frightening and are obviously a cult, which has a great deal of power over its followers and are experts in the use of psychology.  In my hours in there, I honestly felt like I was losing the power to think objectively.  Try not to show interest in anything to do with this religion.

6. Midnight Oil profile image81
    Midnight Oilposted 13 years ago

Must people think Scientologists are right bunch of greedy cults !

'Aliens' huh - love the narrow minded brain-washing too...

I have studied all religions, both main stream and those on the fringe and Scientology is no better than the rest to be honest.  Just out of interest Scientology has been legally banned in France due its practices above and below the table....

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)