Tropical Cyclone Yasi cat 5 The BIG one

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (40 posts)
  1. jackavc profile image72
    jackavcposted 13 years ago

Stay safe Queensland. Biggest cyclone in memory about to hit the coast with winds of up to 300 kms an hour.

1. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hopefully everyone evacuated as instructed

jackavcposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is about two hours off the coast . Winds will be crazy right now

2. profile image0
    Hovalisposted 13 years ago

This storm system looks huge! I hope it loses some momentum before it crosses the coast. I'm crossing my fingers for everyone in Northern Queensland tonight. It's only about 7 hours away from the coast right now.

As if Queensland hasn't suffered enough destruction in the last month already.

They cant take a break up there.

1. profile image0
        Hovalisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

They can't, can they? This cyclone season has had a lot of storms. Let's hope this is the last of the big ones.

3. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

I'm starting to think South East Qld got off light. The news channels are blanketed with updates on Yasi, as is all my facebook etc. Hope they are all ok.

1. profile image0

I just checked the radars at Cairns and Townsville and you can see the rain bands from the edge of the cyclone already. The radar on Willis Island is not sending a signal (it is directly in the path).

This is the link to the Cairns Radar. I'm guessing that later tonight it will lose its signal as the winds intensify. That is one huge mother of a storm. I hope that there are no fatalities, and that everyone has done enough to prepare. 

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR193.loop.shtml#skip

4. barryrutherford profile image76
    barryrutherfordposted 13 years ago

It appears that Yasi will now cross Innisfail in around 3 hours time !

Much bigger than TC Larry which hit Innisfail 5 years ago

1. profile image0

bigger than Tracy that wiped out 80% of Darwin in 1974

1. barryrutherford profile image76
        barryrutherfordposted 13 years agoin reply to this

YES much bigger hopefully the population are more prepared than then due to better  Weather predictions !

2. profile image0

Believe it or not, Tracy was one of the smallest cyclones on record. Not that it didn't pack a punch. I remember the news reports as they came in that Christmas and it was horrific to a child, I must say.

1. profile image0

for a sml one it did a lot of damage from the pics I looked at.  Yasi is being compared with Katrina.

Size of storm nearly as big as USA

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/fl … 5998762870

5. mcbean profile image66
    mcbeanposted 13 years ago

Yasi is the Aussie Katrina. Category 5 as big as it gets.

Check out this great link showing the magnitude of Yasi by superimposing it over different parts of the world.

http://www.smh.com.au/photogallery/envi … 1adhm.html

Good luck tonight Queensland.

6. barryrutherford profile image76

TOP PRIORITY
    TROPICAL CYCLONE ADVICE NUMBER 19
    Issued by the Bureau of Meteorology, Brisbane
    Issued at 6:59pm EST on Wednesday the 2nd of February 2011

A Cyclone WARNING is current for coastal and island communities from Cape
    Flattery to Sarina, extending west across the tropical interior to the Northern
    Territory border.

At 7:00 pm EST Severe Tropical Cyclone Yasi, Category 5 was estimated to be 150
    kilometres east northeast of Innisfail and 175 kilometres east of Cairns and
    moving west southwest at 29 kilometres per hour.

SEVERE TROPICAL CYCLONE YASI IS A LARGE AND VERY POWERFUL TROPICAL CYCLONE AND
    POSES AN EXTREMELY SERIOUS THREAT TO LIFE AND PROPERTY WITHIN THE WARNING AREA.

THE VERY DESTRUCTIVE CORE OF CYCLONE YASI WILL CROSS THE COAST NEAR INNISFAIL
    CLOSE TO MIDNIGHT, ACCOMPANIED BY A DANGEROUS STORM TIDE SOUTH OF THE CYCLONE
    CENTRE.

Tropical Cyclone Yasi, CATEGORY 5, will continue to move in a west-southwesterly
    direction and is expected to cross the coast near Innisfail close to midnight.

Coastal residents between Cairns and Ayr are specifically warned of an EXTREMELY
    DANGEROUS SEA LEVEL RISE [i.e. storm tide] as the cyclone approaches, crosses
    the coast and moves inland. The sea is likely to steadily rise up to a level
    which will be VERY DANGEROUSLY above the normal tide, with EXTREMELY DAMAGING
    WAVES, STRONG CURRENTS and FLOODING of low-lying areas extending some way
    inland

7. CMHypno profile image83
    CMHypnoposted 13 years ago

They said on the BBC news a few minutes ago that the evacuation centres in Queensland were already full, and that people were now being advised not to travel and stay inside as it was too dangerous.

I just hope that the damage is not as bad as is being predicted, and that there is no loss of life

1. profile image0

they've been getting told to evacuate for past few days.  Too late now to move anywhere.

8. barryrutherford profile image76

Cyclone now appears on the Cairns Radar

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR192.loop.shtml#skip

1. profile image0

If you go to the  512km composite you get a better idea. I posted this link earlier in the thread. smile

9. barryrutherford profile image76

Apparently its official nobody anywhere in the world's Weather Centres has seen a Cyclones as forboding and large as TC Yasi

10. barryrutherford profile image76

Thanks for the link Barry that is one scary image. In 2000 I went through cyclone Steve. I thought that was bad. That was only cat 3

There r more links on my hub on the topic

2. profile image0
      china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Does this pic show the Solomon Islands in its path or already passed over ?  Are they suffering the same situation as you guys ?

Yasi orignated in FIJI which is South of Solomon Islands

as far as i know none of the south pacific islands have been affected.  It built up most of its froce over the coral sea

Exactly

11. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 13 years ago

i just hope nobody gets hurt during all this, as i heard it's supposed to be a class 5 storm, and it's set to hit australia late wednesday to possibly early thursday according to this one site i checked out.

http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzzlog/94263

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image75
      Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thats right now as I type this message Steve (late Wednesday 11:40pm Australia time, east coast),

This thing is massive, this is Hurricane Katrina's twin sister, except this one is slightly more pissed off. Australia just really did not need a storm like this on the back of some of the worst floods in the countries living memory.

I cannot fathom the horror and despair for over 100,000 Australians in the north of Queensland right now. I will find it difficult to sleep tonight.

Here is a trajectory of Tropical Cyclone Yasi for anyone who may not know what part of Australia the predicted path will hit.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/infographics … 2010-2011/

12. profile image0

This link gives a pretty good idea of the size of this cyclone. Apparently it has slowed down, which means it may hit after high tide, which is good news in terms of the expected storm surge. But they are expecting Yasi to take a day to entirely pass. It is still graded category 5, and there have been reports of waves 9.5m high in Townsville. The storm is yet to cross the coast.

http://www.goes.noaa.gov/sohemi/sohemil … mscol.html

That is a great image.  It give you a really good picture on how big the damn thing is.

13. barryrutherford profile image76

Storm Surge is covering first level of homes in some cases ...

14. agvulpes profile image86
    agvulpesposted 13 years ago

I'm sitting here listening to the latest reports and TC Yasi has slowed slightly (from 30km/hour) and the full force is due to hit the coast of Queensland in the next half hour.  However wind gusts of over 100 km/hour have been reported and ocean surges of over 9metres are also being recorded. This will lead to major flooding!
    To give you an idea how big this monster is here is a link to the Townsville 512 km radar and it stretches for over 800 km.
    http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR211.loop.shtml

15. profile image0

I can't look away from the radar atm. The eye looks to hit Bingil Bay head on, which is just south of Innisfail. I don't know much about Bingil Bay at all. The eye seems to be stretching as far down as Dunk Island. This is so scary.

1. agvulpes profile image86
      agvulpesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm just watching the ABC and a resident is being interviewed. It looks very scary to me as well.
      The eye is just about to cross the coast at Mission Beach within the next few minutes.  The worst is just about to come from the Southern side of Yasi.

16. thisgirlslife profile image53
    thisgirlslifeposted 13 years ago

see thats why i love aussies,we all support each other when it matters most.I too am watchin it unfold at this very moment from perth in safety and i have lit a candle in hope of everyone there seeing it through the night.Goodluck guys, stafe safe x

17. profile image0

The good news is that there are no reports of death so far. The cyclone has now been downgraded to a Category 2 and is over land. We were really lucky that Yasi didn't hit either Cairns or Townsville head on, but there has still been major destruction in the towns hit. This is still on going, needless to say. My thoughts are with all those who have gone through this.

18. barryrutherford profile image76

i have written a hub on the aftermath so far.  there are many telephone towers down as well as major electricity supply lines.

Cardwell seems to have copped a lot of damage more reports due in soon,  Tully houses lost losts of roofs ...

Mission beach and cardwell were the worst hit. Houses can be rebuilt so no deaths is a good thing. Storm surge was not as big as predicted so that's another good thing. Thanks for your posts guys

1. profile image0

here's an updated site with links & photos of damage.

Some reports I've heard:

90% of banana crops wiped out; half of sugar crops; rainforests flattened; some coastal towns flattened, traffic lights bent, huge trees snapped

Two big cities didn't get full impact & 'just' had trees ripped & some roofs off

Eye was so big, it was eerie calm for 45 minutes until other side hit.  Was like screaming jet engines for hours

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)