A profitable untapped niche. Making $$$$!

Jump to Last Post 1-36 of 36 discussions (116 posts)
  1. darkside profile image63
    darksideposted 13 years ago

And it's right under our very noses. What is it? Stuff that you're interested in!

Your hobbies, your work, your experiences... do a bit of keyword research to see how many other people are interested in it and what search terms they're using to find it, then write about it (then rewrite, spell check, edit).

Don't go looking at what other people are publishing. Don't try and find keywords with hundreds of thousands of search volume per month. Write about stuff that grabs your fancy.

Publish it. Then start again.

And for goodness sake, be patient.

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's been my take on all this from the get-go.  People don't believe me but it does work. 

Provided of course that you write well and have productive, useful things to say.  A ranting, rambling blog-type entry about stuff you do won't earn squat.

2. Lily Rose profile image85
      Lily Roseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Your last statement speaks volumes!  Too many newer Hubbers are constantly asking when they'll make money and no one has patience anymore, nor do they realize the need for patience with this sort of thing...

3. travel_man1971 profile image61
      travel_man1971posted 13 years agoin reply to this

"Patience is a virtue". It's what we need as hubbers in order to gain recognition, respect and friendship among our peers (plus the payout)big_smile

4. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well thank you Darkside you actually just made my day

smile

you have a good one!

5. cpvr profile image61
      cpvrposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree, When you tap into a niche that you know a lot about - you can establlish yourself as the leader - and earn recognizition from everyone.

It's about having patience though - because it takes time to tap into a niche and make it work in your favor.

2. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

"Throw mud at a wall and see what sticks".

I have to agree. Have actually started doing the opposite of keyword research lately - going for topics with no hits. And often it seems to work!

This account is my "write about what you love" account now. And with 110k hits, can't complain!

darksideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not sure what you mean by 'topics with no hits'.

A long tail keyword might have no search volume, thus targeting it will result in dominating the search results, but also no traffic.

But a topic which appears to be not popular, could in fact provide a very small audience but a very high quality type of visitor who is inclined to click on ads.

But the good thing is you are following what you're interested in and not being one of the sheeple being crushed in the stampede.

1. WryLilt profile image89
        WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Depends on the topic. At the moment not sure if it's based on a lot of longtail hits or just google being out on some numbers, but ranking number one for unsearched topics... seems to be getting me some nice hits. lol

And if I ever write a "How to make money online" hub please kick me!

2. profile image0
        BenjaminBposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Darkside are you a Herman Cain fan too? That's the first place I ever heard the term Sheeple and I've used it religiously since.

Sorry! Never heard of him! smile

3. profile image0
        DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yes. As a regular internet searcher, I get super frustrated when I am looking for a certain thing, but if it's not popular...it doesn't exist. I know that if I have to look hard for something and finally find it, I will be clicking on ads. I imagine it would be maybe less than ideal to write on a topic that gets you maybe two visitors, (but if its something you enjoy anyway)..and they click on your ads...it seems like a good idea to me.

4. brakel2 profile image73
        brakel2posted 13 years agoin reply to this
    2. lrohner profile image68
      lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I hate to say this, WryLilt, but I totally disagree. I prefer to work smarter instead of harder. I (almost) always write about stuff I'm interested in like Darkside suggests, but I also pair that with very diligent keyword research. It's paid off so far.

From what I've seen in the forums, I make as much or more with my 35ish hubs than a whole lot of folks with hundreds of them.

1. wordscribe43 profile image89
        wordscribe43posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Totally agree with that...  In fact, my eyes hurt from keyword research right now.  I will definitely write hubs for fun, though... ones I know would never be profitable.  But, even with those, I do keyword research.  Why not?  Occasionally, I even get lucky there, but it's incredibly rare.

It definitely is the PAIRING of writing what you know and love along with smart keyword research that seems to pay off.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hats off to you, but I think Wrylilt and Darkside have a point.

All my early Hubs were written purely out of interest.  These days I usually do some keyword research as well, but I'm always surprised by what makes money and what doesn't.  I have gone back and checked the keyword research later for some of my early  Hubs and if I'd gone by the research, I would've dismissed the words that are actually making me money..

1. profile image0
          shazwellynposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have found this too Marisa... there are words that I would never have used if I had known about keyword research before.  It just goes to show that many of the terms might be considered a lottery.

Have you noticed how there is less emphasises on pr competition here on HP?

3. Susana S profile image94
        Susana Sposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I use the same approach as you and it also works very well for me income wise. I'd rather write one hub that I'm 90% sure is going to do well, than 50 that might or might not.

3. timorous profile image82
    timorousposted 13 years ago

On the other hand, if you choose a topic that's really obscure, even if you're passionate about it...if no one shows up..well...try again. neutral

Hence the keyword research.

If the CPC is US$0.05 it means 0. If the Search Volume is Not Enough Data it means No One Knows Looking For It.

I wrote a hub on dust craving during pregnancy. I'm #1 and the responses I get in comments are very grateful.... but there ain't that many people searching it! lol

How's that for obscure?

1. Mutiny92 profile image62
          Mutiny92posted 13 years agoin reply to this

i have a few withvery few searches per the adwords tool, but are among my most productive...go figure.

2. darkside profile image63

Dust craving during pregnancy?

Definitely obscure, but bizarre is the word I'd be looking for!

Well I couldn't find anything on it while I was pregnant. I craved dust, not dirt or mud.

So after I joined hubpages I figured I'd share my story - seems other people were experiencing the same problem!

I even had a comment from a 57 year old man with dust cravings lol

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
              Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Was he pregnant?

2. waynet profile image70
              waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Craving Dust....lol! WTF.... Dust!??!.....what's wrong with ice cream and pickled gherkins?!

3. profile image0

There's an interesting new topic for you Wry Lilt. There is a condition that exists in some people to crave charcoal. This condition goes all the way to the extreme of actually eating charcoal and exists in mild form in some people who are not even aware. Ever know someone who could only eat meat when it was darn near burnt?

Be a good Hub to go along with dust eating,lol.

Haha nice idea.

As a kid my mum used to give me charcoal tablets if I was good.... I used to think they were a treat and beg for one.

Maybe they're connected? LoL!

@Rochelle, no I don't *think* he was tongue

1. Sunny Robinson profile image70
                  Sunny Robinsonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This makes me think of the short story by Neil Gaiman.  It's called Sunbird.  A guy ate charcoal in there! Just sayin'. big_smile

WryLilt, I'm just in awe you were even craving dust.  But I've had a few weird cravings, too, so I can't judge.  Rofl.  Why did I never see that hub? I'm so going to find it and read it now.  Pregnant women and their cravings... sigh...

4. sofs profile image75
    sofsposted 13 years ago

Darkside I do agree with you one hundred percent when you say follow your heart..do the key word research,work ,publish and wait.. great advice.. but can you explain a little more about long tail keywords.. I am practically new out here and people like me will benefit from this discussion.

Hey sofs did you check out my explanation of long tail keywords on one of my latest hubs? Or do I need to explain more? Always looking for ways to add to my hubs.

1. sofs profile image75
        sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yep , I did, could always do with more, learning is a wonderful thing,  I thought this discussion sounded so great and it would be really great to hear from Darkside.. 
        Wry ...Please do write on long tail keywords....  that stuff may actually be the key to getting what you write read by others...You are such a great help always!! Thank you lady!!

Thanks. Am trying to completely figure them out myself - bit by bit.

They are confusing and interesting at the same time....

And would like to hear from darkside...

5. profile image0
    AMBASSADOR BUTLERposted 13 years ago

1 unpublished hub. I am on page 1 on google and first on the list on that page. I have 385 page views. I am getting page impressions in September and October 2010. I am being patient. It looks like that I am doing something that is unique with just 1 unpublished hub. Google must like it for putting it on page 1 and first on the page on page 1. It is exciting and I am amazed by it. No complaint. I wish everyone success on hubpages. I am already successful because I accomplished what I wanted to do with my 1 unpublished hub. My deepest gratitude to all the staff on hubpages for making this possible for everyone. Thank you.

Um google can't see unpublished hubs. What is the hub name?

1. profile image0
        AMBASSADOR BUTLERposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well if google can not see unpublished hubs then I am not going to rock the boat. As far as the hub name goes I will not reveal it which will be promoting it as far as I am concerned and just want to see how far it goes with out promoting it and just by word of mouth.

You have no published hubs.

Google cannot see an unpublished hub.

Did you have it published at one stage, then it was unpublished? Because the page views were probably generated while it WAS published. Then for some reason or other HP took it down.

Have you tried searching it lately and then clicking through to the hub? I bet it will give you an error page.

1. profile image0

From my hub traffic statistics it says boxed in red to the titled needs revisions and not published. In green lettering at the bottom it says submitted for publication. I am still getting daily totals for my page views and page impressions on my adsense account. My adsense is active. All I know there is movement on my 1 unpublished hub and that is all that matters to me.

I must be missing something here, but if you have an unpublished hub it wouldn't matter if you're getting traffic from Google or anywhere, your ads aren't being displayed, therefore you can't make money.

1. profile image0

I think he was trying to earn adsense wages on the forum by stuffing with unpublished,lol!

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It does indeed, because you should be the only person who can see your unpublished Hub, therefore your only visitors should be you. 

Have you tried clicking on the link on Google while you're logged out of HubPages, to see whether the Hub is actually visible now to anyone but you?

1. profile image0

I just tried clicking on the link on google while I was logged out of hubpages, and the hub is visible to others in its entirety of what I written in the hub. Also I have gotten more impressions today and views count is going up. I could not see how I could be getting the amount of page impressions that I am getting if I am the only one viewing my hub only. Other people are viewing my hub by clicking on the link on google. Thank you Marisa Wright for telling me what to do.

1. Pcunix profile image91
          Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is weird.

How about just before you publish, you tell us how to find it in Google so we can see this strange thing ourselves?

1. profile image0

I do not want to be banned and have my hubpages account closed. I can not publish it because it is short and almost empty in content that hubpages told me the reason that it is not published. I understand that and I just can not add more words to it without it effecting the quality of it. From my google analytics I am getting visitors and know who they are. I did have it published before I applied to hubpages on June 3, 2010 and I got a license for my article:called cc by- nc- nd on June 6, 2010. The license covers my article and the title that I have it licensed it under to protect my original writting. So I am sure hubpages know about my original article but can not publish it because it does not meet its standard. To protect the account hubpages will let it remain and get page impressions as it has been doing since September 2010. If that means I can not make money from it from the page impressions and only hubpages can then so be it. My goals are accomplished and I am happy that my article is around the world and the people loves it. I wrote it for the people of the earth. Whether or not I get money for it is secondary and not my main concern. Once again I like to thank the staff of hubpages to allow my 1 unpublish hub to stay on hubpages for adsence account. I hope that you are making money from my substance amount of page impressions since September 2010. Thank you very much hubpages and my page impressions keeps rolling on in such a short time for being on hubpages.

The more you speak the more I have trouble understanding you.

It appears that you are proud of this article. This article which is around the world and people love it, but it must be what?... 100 words in length? If HubPages have filtered it for being too short it must be VERY short.

1. profile image0

Yes. 122 words.

2. profile image0

One more thing I forgot to say in my last response to darkside. I can not get too specific but my page impressions are multiplying like rabbits at 3 average in September and 5 average so far as of now in October. Rules need to be honor and is why I got a license for my article on June 6, 2010. I am overwhelmed by it because it is an blockbusting hit. I guess someday soon it will become a household name article around the world. Thank you.

3. profile image0

One last update I just return from my google adsence and it jump to 6 average for October page impressions of my hub. I can not keep up with this upward movement of page impressions so this will be my last report to you about it unless I make threshold payment and see if I will get paid for it. This is mind blowing to see that my page impressions is exploding like it is.

4. profile image0

Sorry but can not keep my mouth shut because it is exploding like such that I have never seen before and is an inspiration for everyone. Thanks for bearing with me. I am now at 10 average and no end in sight that I can see.

If you visit your hub and then click on "Stats" at the top of the hub, you can see where your page is getting views from.

I don't doubt that all the stats will say "hubpages.com".

Your own views are also counted.

P.S. The views on your profile are probably the ones getting you 'impressions'. That's all I can think of.

1. Sunny Robinson profile image70

I was thinking maybe on adsense he is getting a lot of page impressions on his PROFILE?  After all, the way he is carrying on here, he had a lot of people look at his profile and see '0 hubs' and go "WTF?"

Seriously, perhaps looking on Adsense, if he had his profile on the URL channel thingie, he would see it's really from people looking at his profile.

3. profile image0

Maybe this post is page 1 on google - seems to be a lot of keyword stuffing for this post AB!

'google, page 1, google, page 1... page 1 and first on the page on page 1.' lol

1. profile image0

I like your humor. Thank you.

6. Len Cannon profile image87
    Len Cannonposted 13 years ago

This is exactly what I do on here, for the most part.  Sometimes I will see myself googling something and realize that it would be a good topic to write about, so I set out and try and learn as much as I can about the topic as possible so it becomes authoritative.

I won't say I've done that for every article, but it has always been a good choice.

7. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

A while back I thought of a topic I knew very well and wanted to write about, but google reported only 170 searches per month.  I wrote it anyway, using 2 key phrases (both rated at 170 searches).

That might mean that if every search ended up on my hub I might see 450 per month (throw in a few extra odd balls).  Unlikely.

Within 10 days it was getting 30 organic views a day (900 per month).  After 6 weeks it is flirting with 2000 views total.  That doesn't quite match with 450 searches per month.  It is also one of my better hubs, income wise and has even produced clicks from the slide show.

I am a little more willing now to look at very low search # keywords if it is something I know and can write about.  I agree - if you know a subject or are passionate about it, then write about it!  Pick the best keywords you can and let the chips fall where they may.

1. sofs profile image75
      sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This sounds quiet interesting!!   I think I should just try that!! thanx!!

2. profile image0

Sounds good.  Did you tick the 'exact' box for your searches?  Where these searches checked as 'global'?  Also, remember that when you do keyword research on Google, you arent getting the data for the other search engines of the world.

8. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 13 years ago

Very good advice! It is certainly more fun (and beneficial to the reader) if you are actually interested in what you're writing about.

Another great place to find a niche is to turn papers/assignments for college into hubs. Most college students have a bunch on their hard drives. You may need to optimize them, but it definitely works. Larger papers can be turned into shorter articles. If I have the option to choose a topic, I will try to opt for one that has a higher search volume. big_smile

9. frogdropping profile image78
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

Some of my better hubs were written after reading articles in some of the magazines my daughter buys. Others were written after personal online searches, things that appeared when typing *whatever* into Google - and the search assist facility kicked in. There really wasn't any research done, I just wrote them.

The 'be patient' part is probably the most common sense aspect of writing online smile

10. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 13 years ago

I agree.  However, I always thought my interests were SOOOOO unique and creative and wonderful, but I find that they are common - all too common and already have 999 hubs written about them, OR they are too too strange or poems or about musicians no one else knows.  Still I did hit the mark with a couple hubs - entirely by accident.  Now whenever I think of ideas I starting thinking of keywords and lose the thread, sorta.  oh well.  If I could only finish the fiction and get over it already and make some money hubs. sigh.

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I hear you, Mega, on being sooo unique and creative and wonderful. lol  Sometimes I think there hasn't been an original though on the face of the earth for 50 years!  Just re-runs of someone else's thinking from long ago.

Some of my so unique and creative ideas have so many hubs written about them that I can't even find a title that hasn't already been used!

2. Sunny Robinson profile image70

I had this same thought when I first signed up.  I was like, oh yay! I could totally get in on the competition because some of my interests seemed so unique.  Then, I saw so many other stuff on it and I was all, aww blah.  Oh, well!

However, some of my experiences did seem somewhat unique when I started writing about them.  So, I'm a bit glad about that.

11. sofs profile image75
    sofsposted 13 years ago

lol

12. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

that's the same advice I read from you when I first started and it's what I write.  I think it's excellent, sensible advice.

1. profile image0

Same here rebekah... it is only when I have deviated from the advice that I have found trouble hmm

13. profile image0
    BenjaminBposted 13 years ago

I've finally started writing about what I would consider my expertise,the trucking industry which contains many high CPC average keywords I am able to target in the process.

This was going to be my original purpose to write online,to help people looking to start a small trucking company not make some of the mistakes led to my business demise.As it happened just this past march though I found myself to still hold a grudge towards the industry for my misfortune and as such was finding no joy in even remotely thinking about it.

We shall see if my writings bear any fruit,but I'm very optimistic and even have a niche website in the works that I have had the original idea stored away for the last couple years. The great news is it's so unique no one is yet to produce a site of it's kind still.

If only I had a clue how to make the site,but day by day I'm learning another fragment of the process.

14. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

This is exactly what I have been doing since 1991.

As to the keyword research discussions, LSI (latent semantic indexing) is making that less important and eventually will make it completely pointless, but right now it does still make sense to use words that Everyman is likely to use when searching. 

But that doesn't necessarily mean research.  If you have a good sense of common speech, you will use the right words without any  scrounging.  On the other hand, if you care what the topic might be worth to you,  you plainly need research.

As to "wasting time" writing about things that don't make money, well, I wouldn't be writing it if I felt I were wasting my time. It might be something that is important for present or future customers. It might be some esoteric piece of trivia that I needed and could not find so I want to document it for the next guy. It might be something I  want to get off my chest or just a joyful romp with words.  I'm not wasting my time even if it never makes a dime (and it is more than unusual for something to make absolutely nothing, ever).

On the other hand, I enjoy the luxury of having time to waste. I'm not going to apologize for that because I worked hard to get get to the point where I can be so careless with my time, but I do recognize that, for some, every day is a struggle to survive and the thought of squandering time is impossible.  For them, every peck at the keyboard is part of a calculation to make money -  I understand that.

But note Marisa's words: you never know what will attract interest - keyword research does not tell you what motivates the searchers behind the phrases.  It also can't tell you what the future will bring: a string of words that has been worth nothing in the past can be golden next week or next year.  The opposite can be just as true.

So, to those who only write toward the goal, I point out that some goals are not yet in view and others are transient.  Your mechanical approach may work for you, but you might consider kicking off your shoes and running barefoot just for the hell of it. Do it because all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. Do it because your research can't predict everything.  Do it for no reason whatsoever except that you want to.

You can take a swing in the dark, and pick out a few phrases, but there's no harm in finding out which search term is going to work better.

For instance, I saw someone once boast about a first page result on Google for the term "learn to be a juggler".

Unfortunately, when doing the keyword research, there is Not Enough Data.

However for the exact term [learn to juggle] there is 5,400 searches a month (at Google). And [how to juggle] gets 14,800 (at least it did when I last checked the stats for those terms).

Whether it's about how much it's worth or how big an audience there is, I'd think a person is better off titling their hub "Learn To Juggle" or "How To Juggle" rather than "Learn To Be A Juggler".

I would not disagree.  My point was that a person with a good feel for common speech would automatically use the popular form.

The secondary issue is that eventually LSI will make that distinction unimportant, but that is still years away unless something changes unexpectedly.

And that person would not know if they have this natural instinct unless they did keyword research.

I feel that I am good at 'predicting' keyword phrases, and there are times I still get surprised at what terms aren't popular and what terms are. What I thought was good is in fact good, but often I find a phrase during the course of my keyword research that has good search volume or a much higher estimated average CPC that I never would have considered.

Imagine for a moment a person who is a good marksman and they've been using the sights on their rifle... should he not try the scope and see just how much more accurate he can be? That now he can see things that are further off that he never knew was within his reach.

15. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

Not that anyone needs me to second the thoughts offered here on the importance of keywords, but I do.  The Hubs I have that do really well are the ones with the right keywords. The ones that I have that don't do all that well - well, some of them would be earning me more if I had more in volume.  Some wouldn't.  Having said that (and the following post is long - sorry - but the idea of writing what you're interested in, particularly if you're someone who's floundering for ideas on subjects to write about) is, I think, worth really discussing.  (Besides, it goes without saying (and yet I'm saying it lol), people can just skip this long post if they don't want to be bothered reading it.  hmm  )

People are so often told they should emulate others who seem to do well at something, but what I've seen are sometimes people who don't just try to emulate style-wise or approach-wise.  Instead, it's clear they're just out-and-out scouring people's material and trying to re-invent themselves as that other person.  lol  Anyone who has been on here long enough often knows the work of a lot of other Hubbers, so sometimes you can even have a pretty good idea exactly who it is someone is "borrowing from".  They may "borrow" exactly the way someone approaches any number of things - from how that person approaches SEO stuff to how he creates titles to the actual "persona" of that person.  I don't know...   Maybe it works for some of them, but I don't think it works for too many.  Nobody can be someone else as well as that someone else can be himself, and nobody can cash in on someone else's specific combination of knowledge and skills.

You can spot these folks (or sockpuppets) because you can see that they have no core to their "online identity" or aims.  They borrow from one person's stuff in one place, and from someone else's stuff somewhere else - and it looks pretty peculiar if you go to their profile.  You look at each of their Hubs and think, "Who is this person trying to be in this Hub?"

The unfortunate thing is that everyone has his own interests and own identity.  All it takes to do reasonably well is to put in the legitimate work required, put in some time, have some patience, and write about either what you know, yourself, or about things that interest you enough that you'll recognize solid research sources when you're researching.  When you stick with the stuff you, yourself, are comfortable with and interested in, it shows up in your writing; and in terms of substance and uniqueness (even if it's a simple little Hub about a simple thing).

It's one thing if you know your weakness is SEO stuff (mine is) and if you take some advice from someone for whom that's a strength.  It's a whole other thing if you think you're going successfully "borrow from" others when it comes to the kind of Hubs you write or the subjects you write about. 

So, I very much second the idea that people should write about what really interests them.  Avatars, pen names, and even "alter-egos" (at least the kind created to separate different kinds of writing) aside; I think whatever writing people do, they need to start from who they, themselves, are as a person first; and then do whatever else (research, SEO stuff) they need to do after the writing is done.

Trying to second-guess search engines is only going go so far if the Hub is bad once (and if) people run into it.   It may seem like a corny, old fashioned, idea (or else maybe it seems like a novel one in this world of Internet writing), but the one thing nobody can successfully compete with you on is being the only you that you can really be, and writing the stuff that interests, and is unique to, you.  It's like everything else in life, you have to put in the time, effort, and work and go with an approach that works well for you, the individual if you want to see results.

Do a lot of people successfully write about stuff they're not interested in?  Sure.  I do it all the time in non-HubPages/non-spare-time writing, and some Hubbers do it on here all the time, as well.  But, for people who came to HubPages because they wanted to write for their own enjoyment AND earn from doing that, writing about what interests you and writing with your own accumulation of knowledge/experience is the thing that makes your writing unique. Maybe there's a person here or there who can write about what someone else is interested and be "creative" enough at fiction to pretend he's the one interested in it (or the one who is an expert in the subject); but most can't pull that off.

If you write about what you're interested in (even if you're interested in loads of different things), you'll still come across as someone with a core, and you'll still have something unique to add to the subject.  If you try to copy what you think someone else has had success writing about, you'll just look like a flake with sixteen different personalities and no real substance to your writing.  Maybe you don't care about that, and it's your business if you don't.  If you care about being a credible writer and earning (even with the writing that's about the stuff in which you have interest) you're not likely to be/do either. 

I suppose that may be what "inspired" my long reply to this thread, here, is that, as someone who really enjoys writing, I found it refreshing to see a thread about writing - not about how to earn (and especially, not about how to earn a quick buck).  I'd like to see more discussions on writing, itself, on the forums here.  Earning money on this site isn't so difficult that the subject of it ought to take up quite as much forum discussion as it does.

Hear, hear!

2. profile image0

@ Lisa HW

Emulating people is how every human makes the journey from birth to gaining their own identity in every aspect of life,and remember everyone who claims to be original is living a lie. I can guarantee that every style of writing from every personality viewpoint has been repeated extensively throughout time.

To out and out plagiarize is wrong obviously,but you can never make the assumption that someone copied someone's style because styles are not owned properties or entities.

3. Sunny Robinson profile image70

Oh, Lisa.  You almost wrote a whole hub right here.  Actually, I think you're at the word count for it.  I just want to say I really agree with you here.  It's really nice when writing is being focused on in a thread, rather than the money aspect.  Both are still involved, but a lot of the focus right now is on writing.

I also love when I come across people with their own core identities that are so obvious in their writings.  Their intentions are clear and their ability to write gets better every time when they focus on that.

16. waynet profile image70
    waynetposted 13 years ago

Yep, I'm writing about art and more on these subjects now and with video and clearer images and these get regular views on my hubpages more than my older hubs about competitive topics that I was only writing for the allure of money, now I write to draw and create some cool stuff and make some cash too.

17. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

When I came here, I was just very curious about the whole idea and I decided I wouldn't be concerned about the money aspect of it. I enjoy writing, although my focus has always been my music. But since I'm a publisher, the writing side was a natural part of it as well.

The first thing I wrote was nominated as a hubnugget. Then I wrote about a really awful experience of being scammed and Associated Press found it and used it as a basis for a national news release in the US. Then I started writing about all kinds of things I'm interested in, including humor and poetry. It was a big hodge-podge of my interests. Finally I started writing about music education and more recently I've started making music videos of my own things and writing about all that.

I'm continually amazed at what rises to the top and what doesn't. It's a never ending education process that is truly invaluable to me. So the orphan and loser hubs get re-dos, I read more about SEO, what makes successful hubs, etc., and I just keep going.

It's actually been rather thrilling at times to make little changes in a hub and then suddenly watch it shoot into orbit. It's amazing. I had no idea it was possible, but it's worth it to keep revisiting little orphaned hubs when you learn new things, and watch and see what happens.

And it's very clear to me that the best writers that I enjoy reading are the ones who are passionate about the subjects they choose. It's why I love following them.

18. tritrain profile image70
    tritrainposted 13 years ago

Glen, I agree completely.

I found that some of my obscure hobby pages (nothing fancy, mind you) have turned out to be very successful.  I'm mostly referring to what I'd found on Squidoo, but am starting to expand upon here.

Based upon what I have learned, I will further expand out into fully enabled Amazon storefronts.

**And you are 100% right, a person can make much more money via Amazon/Ebay here.

19. nikmaya62 profile image60
    nikmaya62posted 13 years ago

So my ways is wrong. I choose the keywords that many people often search its. It has million searching per month. Is my way wrong? Actually i have not truly understood about keywords research.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

stop by the learning center and you will find the best practices of HP. there is excellent advice there and the OP has written a number of the articles included.

you don't have to write about topics that have millions searching per month. those topics will have a lot of competition, so your writing will have to give some new or different information or your very unique writing style to attract viewers. 

learning center link is at the bottom of page and check out the first two threads on the forum page from the Hub Camp.
      it takes time to find what works best but use all of the HP resources.

2. thisisoli profile image72
      thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You can choose a subject which has millions of searches per month, but then you have to consier how  many other people are competing for those million searches compared to the number of people competing for a couple of thousand searches.

The real trick to this game is finding the soft underbelly of the companies which expend millions of dollars a year getting their websites to the top of Google.

3. tritrain profile image70
      tritrainposted 13 years agoin reply to this

But you should not only look at number of searches, but ALSO amount of competition.

Less searches, but very little or no competition is better than millions of searches with a fair amount or tons of competition.

You don't have an entire web site dedicated to select keywords to try to improve your overall position in the SERPs. 

You have just a few pages focused on a few keywords.

20. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

Even better, go on the no-keyword optimization trail.  I have had a few articles throw up some fantastic profitable future keywords just by writing generic articles rather than focused articles!

1. tritrain profile image70
      tritrainposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hmmm, I'm really curious how you're getting traffic with generic articles.

21. AJWalton profile image61
    AJWaltonposted 13 years ago

I would say you should choose your topic without keywords, but you should write the article with keywords people actually search for in mind.  You don't have to go SEO crazy, but you still want your work to be found.

22. ns1209 profile image63
    ns1209posted 13 years ago

I try to write about things I am at least reasonably interested in and then either just use common sense or keyword research to get more traffic.  I also sometimes use search assist or if I am googling and don't find a decent result I think I will write about  that!

23. Len Cannon profile image87

what

24. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 13 years ago

So you have a license by Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-No Derivative ?

1. profile image0

Yes I do. I got it on June 6, 2010 To protect my article that is published on my google account and for hubpages when I applied on June 3, 2010 and was approved for it. Since my google account is not for selling anything and I had to signed up for google adsence on hubpages to get it published and it is not published, so I just assumed that my article is unpublished even though it is on google but I am not selling any products on it This is all new to me and I am learning like the rest of us. Thank you for your help. So that will explain why my page impressions are multiplying like rabbits since September 2010.

25. frogdropping profile image78

Ambassador you're confusing the hell out of me. Is your hub published on another account? If not, and it's unpublished, it ain't ... published. Which means it's not in the public domain.

Which then means no one but you, the hubteam and my dead relatives can see it.

You're not messing with us are you? Your plight does seem far fetched. I have a really expansive imagination but regards what's going on with you, or not - it's coming up blank hmm

26. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 13 years ago

Three to five visits a day isn't an actual explosion-- but maybe I am misunderstanding, as all of us seem to be.

27. Len Cannon profile image87

I would like to read your article!

1. profile image0

Sorry I can not do that since that will be advertising and promoting in the forums. I am just giving information about what is happening with my 1 hub. Thank you for wanting to read it but you must wait while it gets around the world by word of mouth.

28. frogdropping profile image78

Seriously - you're just not making any sense. At all. Six impressions, five impressions? An explosion, payout? You need thousands to hit payout. And it being published helps.

1. profile image0

I am only giving you my daily average for my page impressions. My total page impressions is way above the average day. Believe me I am well on my way to thousands to hit payout. I did not know how much I need to hit payout. My total page impressions I can not tell you for obvious reasons but I can tell you about my daily average for page impressions. Thank you frogdropping for telling me about needing thousands to hit payout. I am well on my way. I am just sorting everything out in my head as I see my page impressions multiplying  like rabbits as far as I am concerned. It is all a learning experience since I did not expect to see the page impressions appear as fast as I did and the increase of its frequency as it is doing now. Thank you for your patience with me.

Impressions make mere cents.

To get money through adsense you need CLICKS on adverts.

To check how much you've earnt, visit the reports page in adsense and on the drop down menu saying today, click all time.

Whatever it says for all time is the amount you've earnt. If it says 0.00, that means you've earnt nothing.

1. profile image0

Thank you.

29. wordscribe43 profile image89
    wordscribe43posted 13 years ago

I'm 100% lost...  Sorry, Butler.  I tried, I really did.

1. profile image0

wordscribe43 thank you for trying. I am 100% lost like you. To make it simple: I know that page impressions gets cents per thousands. I do know the formula and how many cents. When I go to my report page in adsense it tells me the total of page impressions and the average which I assume is the daily average of the month but I am not sure and could be wrong. So the main issue here is the total page impressions and average and what does it mean with average for page impressions. This is as clear that I can get with this issue of page impressions. Thank you.

1. IndikaT profile image72
        IndikaTposted 13 years agoin reply to this

According to my knowledge and experience the average possibility for a click on an advert is around once in 100 page impressions. If one click makes you $0.20 you need 100 page impressions to earn $ 0.20. So you need 500 impressions to earn $1 and 500x100=50000 impressions to make the pay out. If you average 5 page impressions a day you will take 10000 days to make the pay out.
        So my idea is you can't reach the payout with a single hub of that performance.

1. profile image0

Thank you very much for this information and now I can sit back and watch my average page impressions a day multiply as rabbits like it has been doing for 2 months now. I am now at average 10 page impressions a day at this moment. Knowledge is relief that I was searching for with my page impressions and now I know and can relax and enjoy my 1 hub and watch it make payout in record time that has never been done before. From heartfelt gratitude I thank you IndikaT. You have given me the answer that I was looking for with page impressions. Thank you. Go in peace my fellow human being.

30. Len Cannon profile image87

lol yeah okay.  good troll, A+ work.

31. Len Cannon profile image87

you know what, I call your bluff.  e-mail me your article.  You can do it through hubpages on my profile.

I was starting to suspect either a troll or a drug addict. Still undecided!

2. profile image0

I am not going to put my hubpages account into being banned. I wrote an article on google and then submitted it to hubpages on June 3, 2010 and got a Creative Commons Attributive- Non commercial-No derivative License on June 6, 2010 to protect my article and title. My article is being proclaimed around the world and I am being patient as it goes around the world protected as much as it can be with this license and title of it. Yes there is no competition with my article and hard to find but the ones that have found it was by word of mouth. Google of course read it since I do have an account with them and I guess it is good enough for them to put it on the first page and first on the list since September 2010. I do not care what you think about me I know that I live with a clear conscious and integrity in my heart concerning my 1 article that I licensed to protect it as much as possible and I am not selling anything on google. Page impressions may only be pennies but those pennies will add up quickly over time. I am in no hurry and sit back and watch it take off.

I think you are either very dense or you're lying.

If you're telling me the truth, feel free to send me a direct link to your article via the contact button on my profile page.

A 100 word article that is not published has no chance at ranking for anything.

2. Len Cannon profile image87
        Len Cannonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You won't get in any type of Hubtrouble (Hubble, you can call it) if you e-mail it to me.  No rules against it.  I'm very excited to hear about this amazing article that is exploding at an astounding rate of 6 daily hits!

lol the guy is making it all up

2. profile image0

Lmao! smile

32. Sunny Robinson profile image70
    Sunny Robinsonposted 13 years ago

Well, when I wrote about Value of an Online writer, I was surprised at the hits I got on that one.  It wasn't meant to be a moneymaker, I thought.  Also, I wrote a hub on grief and minimized the ads since I felt it was inappropriate.  That one also had hits, but no clicks since I took out a lot of the ads.  I'm totally fine with that.

There are also the ones I meant to write for fun or from experience, thinking it would help others (cochlear implant users, which are in the minority), those are my top moneymakers over the ones I wrote intending to make money from.

I really think that says it all for me, so I'm with the others on writing stuff that you know, love to write about, and have experienced.  Usually, those are so hard to find for readers and have very little competition for writers, much like Doormattnomore said.  I really relate to what she said.

33. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

Yup. I definitely think someone is trying to yank everyone's chain--and doing a splendid job I might add. smile

1. KristenGrace profile image60
      KristenGraceposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've popped in and out of this specific topic here and I must agree.

I'm quite perplexed, and feel badly if anyone is upset by certain claims here that may or may not be true.

I try not to pay much attention to these little things I have no control over...

However, separate note, I'm one of the ones that write about whatever I want.  I like hubbers who can be honest and just be real.  smile

34. Sunny Robinson profile image70
    Sunny Robinsonposted 13 years ago

The dude said it again here: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/55482.  Pretty much the same thing!  Ah, well.

35. brettb profile image61
    brettbposted 13 years ago

I think newbies should stick to forex and weight loss and leave the juicier niches to us old hands :-).

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image73
      Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Brett,

You forgot to mention Acai berries!!!!! Isnt that 'juicy' niche????? big_smile

36. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/3872678_f248.jpg

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)