Who Was The KING OF ROCK?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (66 posts)
  1. 6 String Veteran profile image67
    6 String Veteranposted 13 years ago

Ok, so Elvis was the King of Rock. Or was it Little Richard? Or Ike Turner? Bo Diddley? Beethoven? Jimi Hendrix? Or were the Beatles the Kings?

Who was the KING? ...and why?

6SV

1. profile image0
      Travis_S_Musicposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Elvis was the King of Rock. He was titled so before any others, and he got the name out for the rock genre. Jimi Hendrix is what we like to call a "guitar god."  Little Richard paved the way for Elvis to become that. Ike Turner is also one of the "fathers" of rock. Bo Diddley is along side those of the "fathers" of rock. Beethoven has no rule in this in my opinion, as he is just another of the greats of Classical music that has been transformed into rock. And the Beatles, they came after Elvis, and though they were influential, I do not agree with them being considered the Kings of Rock.

6 String Veteranposted 13 years agoin reply to this

As far as 'paving the way' goes, I believe Blues living legend BB King credits Elvis with jump-starting his career. And the Rolling Stones were instrumental in helping Muddy Waters achieve huge popularity.

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Elvis was the king of rock.
      And although I never worshipped him like a "king", I just think that title fits his status from a worldly view.
      However, I loved many of his songs, both rock and gospel.  His voice and image is unforgettable. 
      The thing I like most is what I heard he said once when he was touted as "the king".  He said Jesus was the (true) King.  I respect Elvis for saying that.

Indeed he (JC) is.

3. Genna East profile image82
      Genna Eastposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Elvis earned this title years ago.  Other titles have since come forward, such as Bruce Springsteen who has been dubbed, “The Boss.”   Actually the Beatles have outsold Elvis and Michael Jackson (the King of Pop), so it is perhaps correct to refer to them all as kings?  They were certainly all kings in their respective generations.

4. blogivator profile image61
      blogivatorposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Don't forget the catalyst everyone, the unlikely,  Bill Hailey :-)

2. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

Albert Stone from South Swamp Studios was the King of Rock! smile

1. profile image0

neutral
      n
      o

1. Pearldiver profile image67
        Pearldiverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Aw Yeah Sorry.... roll Albert Stone.. was a X Dresser...

I meant to say he was the Queen of Rock! smile

Yeah...looked him up and didn't find much (I'll admit I thought you were joking--and you might be still LOL).

1. Pearldiver profile image67
            Pearldiverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sooooooooooooo You Did Find some material on Albert Stone? (other than silk stockings) hmm

The True Cajun King of Rock! hmm

3. Dale Nelson profile image38
    Dale Nelsonposted 13 years ago

I reckon it depends what the criteria for rock is.
    Is it how commercialized they got.
    Is it the tempo.
    Is it 50's and 60's only.

In a nutshell.
    Johnny Cash rates better in my book than Elvis.
    Little Richard could rock high energy, but then so could Jerry Lewis.

Does Queen qualify as Rock or are they Pop.
    Then theres Don McClean and John Cougar Mellancamp

So Im really confused now.

Okay...You win.... Elvis is the King of Rock then ...LOL.

1. profile image0

Queen is considered rock/metal (: Johnny Cash is amazing, but just as anything, it's hard to beat an original! Elvis always has been and always will be the king tongue

2. 6 String Veteran profile image67

@ Dale: no reason 4 confusion...yes, for 'musicologists' among us, 50s to 60s is pretty much the time being targeted. Anything after that is 2nd or 3rd gen, and the King would have to be 1st gen--for me at least.

However in the Intro post I included many outside of this criteria because I didn't want to limit preferences and was/am interested to see who ppl think is The King.

4. quicksand profile image81
    quicksandposted 13 years ago

Elvis Presley was the King of Rock ... He was the King of Roll too! lol

The Rolling Stones were the real pioneers of rock music! smile

1. profile image0

There were many others ages before the Rolling Stones that formed rock music

1. quicksand profile image81
        quicksandposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There are many who think the Rolling Stones pioneered it all. It's just that I agree wholeheartedly. smile

1. profile image0

>.<

@ quicksand: give a couple of reasons for each--Elvis + Stones (for education's sake).

5. tony0724 profile image59
    tony0724posted 13 years ago

Elvis is called the King for a reason. But I would say Chuck Berry was right behind him. But the Beatles transcended just Rock and Roll.

Interesting post Tony. I'm itchin to hear your reasons...Can I invite you to elaborate?

6. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

It's funny, tho. The music Elvis sang would not be considered "rock" by today's standards. Rockabilly, yes.
    Rock & Roll? IDK. Maybe I'm focusing my definition of "rock" too much on 60s rock and heavy metal....

1. profile image0

Yeah haha, the "rock" of today is based off of metal from the 60s and up. Going off of the history of rock's origins, there were many musicians that influenced it, and Elvis just happened to be that one that really made it stick out.

@ TSM  "Elvis just happened to be that one that really made it stick out."
        LOOOLLLLL Yeah...who was more famous: Elvis or his pelvis? LOL.

@ Mighty Mom: you can't possibly leave without elaborating on such an intriguing response.

7. readytoescape profile image60
    readytoescapeposted 13 years ago

Sorry, you are all incorrect.

The King of Rock is Fred Flintstone.

How right you are!  lol lol lol

1. thirdmillenium profile image60
        thirdmilleniumposted 13 years agoin reply to this

big_smile lol

@ readytoescape LOL

8. thirdmillenium profile image60
    thirdmilleniumposted 13 years ago

What a question to ask!
    The answer to this question, if there in deed was a question, was resolved in 1956.

The best quote from the KING:
    I don't know anything about music. In my line, I don't have to.

But I thought he played a pretty mean guitar. That was overdubbed? Milli Vanilli style?...Oh no.

9. quicksand profile image81

It is rather difficult to associate the Beatles with rock as their capacity in that direction was not inexaustive. Although the music they produced was simply great.

The Rolling Stones was not similar to other bands and had a great capacity and surplus energy - inexaustive I would say.

As for Elvis Presley, he had it all! He was matchless indeed!

Just imagine what the music scene would have been or would have evolved into wthout the presence of the Beatles, the Rolling Stones and of course Elvis Presley!

smile smile smile

1. profile image0

The Beatles had a lot of Elvis's style for a while, til the whole drug age kicked in. But I do agree with you on your answer! Three greats of the original Rock Age indeed, though I gotta keep to the original, Elvis is King of Rock.

Elvis sure is! smile

@ quicksand I would say, even with the Beatles' and Stones' tremendous (gross understatement) influence on Rock, they are 2nd gen rockers building off of that which had already been established.

But that's my opinion, based on the principle that The King has to be a pioneer.

but he (or she) doesn't, though. It could be argued that the King of Rock is the one who transformed it the most. In that case the Beatles would be strong contenders. So would Hendrix.

Well you have some valid points that cannot be contradicted.

However I find it difficult to equate the Beatles with rock. Considering Elvis Presley, it is not only the kind of music that he was responsible for creating, it was also his personality, his voice, and summing it up it was his charisma that influenced the impact his music had on music fans.

When the Rolling Stones exploded, they sounded dissimilar to whatever had preceded their era. So ... I would not say that they took over from where someone left.

As for Jimi Hendrix, he was the king of his own kind of music. I have a belief that he was influenced by the Rolling Stones.

That's only my opinion. smile smile smile

10. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Never been a big fan, but I'll say Elvis.

Why, habee, why? Pardon my exuberance but I'd like more input.

11. A la carte profile image60
    A la carteposted 13 years ago

It is whoever you want....elvis,little richard, chuck berry....who cares..it is who you liked that counts

That's true. But I care (LOL). Who's yours and why, if you care to name any1...?

12. blogivator profile image61
    blogivatorposted 13 years ago

Forget about Elvis being king of rock and roll, it's a myth perpetuated by his management.

No disrespect to Elvis he was a nice guy.

It's Chuck Berry without question.

blogivator, intriguing post. J4TR (just for the record) wanna share any reasons for saying this?

1. blogivator profile image61

Man, this is a great post you started, 6 String,  I wish I had more time for this, but I am so busy.

Although I'm fairly certain I once heard an early recording of someone else doing it , I cannot remember who, it was Chuck who upped the tempo of the 12 bar to make that rhythm his own, which was then used in countless 1000's of rock and pop records forever onwards, also I believe his influence over all the big stars who came after was far greater than that of Elvis.  viz. Beatles, Stones, etc.
        Forgive me folks I am not putting Elvis down, he was a fantastic entertainer, but for me there were too many ballads....

A mention also of Mr. Diddly, Bo to his friends, this guy was also a master musician who did not follow the flock and invented his own "Bo Diddly Beat" Unfortunately not as popular or long lived as the 12 bar of CB, Oh and by the way for all you youngsters out there, this is the guy that invented odd shape guitars, before Gibson ever thought of the flying "V"

There is an underlying issue here also,  that is one of racism, bearing in mind the era to which we are referring, for instance, I still find it hard to believe that in order to be on TV, Nat King Cole had to have his hair straightened and slicked down, and black women had to wear wigs.

Sorry to go off topic a bit but you did ask for my thoughts, anyway have to go now.  Take care all.  :-)

2. profile image0

I disagree with that >.<

13. quicksand profile image81

He who listens to tracks from the movie "Blue Hawaii," having already heard tracks like "Wont You Wear My Ring Around Your Neck," "Jailhouse Rock," ... will confirm that he is not only the king of Rock ...
    smile smile smile

14. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 13 years ago

There will only ever be one King of Rock and that is Elvis!

15. Mighty Mom profile image78

Certainly more votes for Elvis than anyone else here.
    I saw a biography of Jimi Hendrix the other night -- actually, more of an autobiography. What an amazingly talented and humble artist he was. He was all about the music, man. Not the money. The music.

Can we have a King and Queen of Rock for each decade?

1. profile image61
      logic,commonsenseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Which category would Elton John be eligible for?smile

LOL. We'll have to hear it in his own words. I think he's doing an autobiographical film soon.

2. blogivator profile image61

How about "Queen of the pop Ballad"?  :-)

No disrespect Elton, even you would laugh at that.

@ Mighty Mom A King + Queen of Rock, decade-wise? Certainly. Just be sure to include the overall Ruler (LOL) if you have one.

16. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Elvis IS the King of not just rock, but music. wink

I want justifications, Cagsil, justifications!

17. Mighty Mom profile image78

Ok, here's my nominations
    World Ruler of Rock = Elvis (by popular vote)
    To make it easier (on myself) I am only going with solo artists rather than bands.
    Also including only "rock-oriented" singers (so MJ, Prince, Madonna will not appear, even though they ruled the '80s).

1950s
    King = Chuck Berry
    Royal Court = Bo Diddley, Jerry Lee Lewis
    Queen = Can't think of anyone

1960s
    King = Jimi Hendrix
    Royal Court = Jim Morrison*, Donovan, Roy Orbison
    Queen = Janis Joplin
    Royal Court = Grace Slick, Aretha, Marianne Faithful

1970s
    King = David Bowie
    Royal Court = John Lennon, Elton John, Mark, Don & Mel, Jethro Tull, Lou Reed, Iggy Popp, Van Morrison (and that's only about 1/4 of the court)
    Queen = Deborah Harry
    Royal Court = Patti Smith, Carole King,Linda Rondstadt

1980s
    King = Ozzy Osbourne
    Royal Court = Morrissey, Billy Idol,Tom Petty, SRV, Clapton, Elvis Costello, Springsteen
    Queen = Bonnie Raitt
    Royal Court =  Chrissie Hynde, Joan Jett, Pat Benetar, Stevie Nicks, Tina Turner, Cyndi Lauper

1990s
    King = Kurt Cobain
    Royal Court = Eddie Vedder,Beck, Michael Stipe,Neil Young,Lenny Kravitz
    Queen = Sheryl Crow
    Royal Court = Alanis Morissette, Tracy Chapman,Tori Amos,The chick from Garbage

2000s
    King = Jack White
    Royal Court = Chris Cornell,Thom Yorke
    Queen = Gwen Stefani
    Royal Court = Fergie, Fiona Apple, Avril Lavigne,Joss Stone

*I know, I just broke my own solo artists rule, but Morrison WAS the Doors

1. profile image0

I love the list!

@ Mighty Mom --Thanks for the detailed list. I noticed the title given to Elvis was 'World Ruler of Rock'...LOL

18. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Not withstanding Mighty Mom's last post-

May I point out, that Elvis is the ONLY "One" to break a Billion dollars in sales in one year's time. And, to top it off, he been dead for over 20 years. wink

@ Cagsil --There you go, folks, STATS. Now that's an interesting tidbit, as well as a good way to justify the crown.

19. Mighty Mom profile image78

You asked for an "overall RULER" and I wasn't going to argue about Elvis smile

Great list, Mighty M. A whole Lotta names for others to consider.

20. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

I cast a vote for Justin Beiber

21. Mighty Mom profile image78

Bless you for having the courage to say what I know we are all thinking, Greek One lol

1. Greek One profile image63
      Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

..and I also predict, that after he undergoes the surgery he will undoubtedly pursue upon reaching the age of majority, he will also be the Queen of Rock

22. Mighty Mom profile image78

And he will be following in a short line of King/Queens of Rock:
    1. Michael "Jacko" Jackson
    2. Lady Gaga
    3. Justine Beiber

@ Mighty Mom --wait a second there, aren't those Pop royalty? After all, MJ was the King of Pop...and I simply don't see the 'Rock' in Gaga or Beiber.

NOTES OF INTEREST:

-IS THE KING OF POP NECESSARILY THE KING OF ROCK? FOR EX., WAS MJ THE KING OF ROCK AS WELL (HE WAS THE KING OF POP)?

-HOW IS POP DIFFERENT THAN ROCK?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)