ARE YOU NORML?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (29 posts)
  1. figment profile image75
    figmentposted 13 years ago

Are you a member of the National Organization to Reform Marijuana Laws?  Why? Why not?

1. profile image0
      ssaulposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What is the question exactly? There seems to be a spin off as well as a double barrel question! However, I am normal but special unique in my own right! No I am not a member! smile

2. lady_love158 profile image61
      lady_love158posted 13 years agoin reply to this

No... its a useless effort drug enforcement is big business full of gov welfare supported unions that back the status quo vs potheads that just want to get stoned and left alone and an American public that couldn't care less.

3. tony0724 profile image59
      tony0724posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have more important matters to concern myself with.

2. Ellarose92 profile image60
    Ellarose92posted 13 years ago

No, because I think it should be illegal unless your using it for medical purposes but as far as it makes you feel good or it doesnt effect you, i think its dumb because it does effect you and your only happy when your on it and unhappy when your off. I've lost so many of my friends to weed because thats all they wanted to do and didnt care so much for school, if people didnt misuse it and it was good for you then it wouldnt be illegal i dont see the point in getting high or any of it and i ate the drama that comes along if your for it or agaisnt it. I think its just pointless your mind isnt truely there when your high. i have not taken any drugs nor will i ever!! and this is why i am not on it nor do i care for it!

3. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

...no...not a member...i have this thing about groups being dangerous....mind you i fully support legalization for a number of reasons...all good reasons...and even if it's not legal...who cares....just do what you want...cuz you do and you can.....

4. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 13 years ago

not a member, pot makes me sick, really, but if it were legal I think people would actually be more responsible about using it.  people get a wicked pleasure out of doing something illegally and tend to overdo it- take that away and there'd be less kicks from it and therefore, less use of it.  my humble opinion

5. Pcunix profile image92
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

Not a member, but I do think the current laws create problems.

I wish people were simply intelligent enough not to abuse drugs, but it is the abuse that causes problems.

I don't necessarily agree that it should be entirely legal, but I would rather see it treated as a medical problem. That's far too idealistic, though, and ignores those who profit from the misery of others and who may be using those profits to fund other crimes.

There really are no perfect answers. People suck sums it up.

1. nell79 profile image80
      nell79posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I couldn't agree with you more or said it any better myself. Not a simple issue by any means.

6. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

...no...i've decided i'm not normal...or norml...i like that spelling better.........

7. profile image0
    Travis_S_Musicposted 13 years ago

No, I am not. I will admit, I used to be in that crowd of drugs and alcohol. I won't lie either, it was pretty fun. Took away the stress of every day life. People don't realize, weed does less damage to you than alcohol or tobacco. The thing that makes it the most "damaging" is the lack of a filter, which can easily be fixed. It's not addictive, and it doesn't cause problems like people like to think it is. I quit cold turkey, didn't have a problem with it at all. There is nothing addictive about its properties, and if you do a little research you will see that. I do believe it should be legalized, as it would possibly lower crime rates, and take away one big money maker for most gangs. People do seem to abuse the illegal things more, and making it legal, logically, would probably lower the uses of it. It's not a killer drug at all. What makes it a killer is the laced stuff that a lot of drug dealers will sell.

8. WuldUStilRemebrMe profile image60
    WuldUStilRemebrMeposted 13 years ago

Nah.   I'm with the LCA.

9. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Not a member, but I think pot should be legal. I think it's a lot less dangerous than alcohol, and it has several medicinal properties.

1. Christy Goff profile image59
      Christy Goffposted 13 years agoin reply to this

NO, alcohol bad, drugs, worse, I believe in medical Marjuana, understandable, other wise, DUI test for them. Blood of course instead of breathalizer.

1. profile image0
        Travis_S_Musicposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Other chemically enhanced drugs are worse. Research has proved that weed has no worse effect on the body than alcohol. Tobacco is more dangerous.

10. essiheart profile image68
    essiheartposted 13 years ago

It is proven that alcohol and cigarettes do more damage than marijuana use. If you did research on the subject, you'd easily find that out.

Regardless, I am not a member of NORML although I do wish hemp wasn't illegal so that we could use it for the number of helpful items it can create (clothing, paper, etc.)

I don't believe in "Everything in moderation" either.

You wouldn't use the above quote if we were talking about meth, would you?

I haven't "lost" friends to marijuana use, but I sure have lost the motivation to hang out with them when it's literally all they do.

1. camlo profile image84
      camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hemp is illegal in the US? It's used here for the products you mention and, as far as I've heard, is said to have no use as a drug in that form.

11. Rafini profile image83
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

No, nor will I ever be.  The main drawback to marijuana, that I can see, is the affect it has on your mind both immediately and long-term. 

It is commonly understood that smoking marijuana distorts an individual's immediate perception of reality, and continued use of marijuana increases the after-effects of a permanent distortion of reality and a decrease in critical thinking skills.  Poor judgment is another after-effect caused by marijuana smoking - which brings me to ask:  Why would anyone choose to destroy their mind?

(for medicinal purpose, I think marijuana ought to be in pill form rather than for smoking)

1. profile image0

I some what have to disagree on that. Though I'm not at all proud of when I used to do all that junk, it had no affect on my thinking skills, perception of reality, or any such thing. I graduated high school with a 3.6666 gpa, scored above average in every test I have taken, and the only consequence to smoking it that I have had was bronchitis, which didn't last long.

1. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree, Travis. I finished the 11th grade with a 4.0 GPA and scored high enough on the SAT to skip my senior year and go to college. I smoked regularly back then.

1. profile image0

I believe the only ones it seems to have a negative affect on are the ones that make it the only thing they care about, which in the first place probably didn't even care about doing good in school/academics/workplaces at all.

2. Rafini profile image83
        Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hmm, I have a couple people in mind as to why I hold the beliefs I do, about marijuana.  they're regular pot smokers, although not heavy smokers, and I've noticed a decrease in the areas I've mentioned.  (or at least not an increase in skills)  (over a long period of time)

to be honest, they may not be telling the truth regarding other drugs (they've said they only smoke pot) or they could be smoking more than they're willing to admit. 

as for marijuana causing a distortion of reality - just what is so d@mn funny while high?  why isn't it funny when you're not high?  why get high at all if the humor factor doesn't change?  what exactly is the point in getting high if it isn't to distort your perception of your immediate reality?

1. profile image0

It's a depressant like alcohol. It calms and relaxes you, and as the media makes it seem to make everything funny, it really doesn't. People get that mentality and when they do it of course they're going to think it's changing things. This can be tested by giving some random person something, like say a glass of orange juice mixed with some other non alcoholic drink, tell them it's alcohol and after they've had enough they'll think they are drunk. Another example would be many weight loss pills. From the older ones, I don't know about the new stuff, but most of the older ones were just sugar pills. People really believed it helped increase weight loss and as a result were encouraged to eat healthier while taking the pills, resulting in the real weight loss from proper dieting.

1. Rafini profile image83

I don't really buy that...the girls I knew in middle school really thought the world was hilarious when they were high, but if they weren't high then they thought the world wasn't a place they wanted to be. hmm

but this still doesn't answer my question:  what exactly is the point in getting high if it isn't to distort your perception of your immediate reality?  To calm & relax a person is the same as distorting your perception of reality, because it changes what you see, feel, experience.

1. profile image0

Well if that's the case, what's the point of drinking alcohol? Shouldn't it be illegal for the same reasons?

1. Rafini profile image83

I personally feel the same about alcohol, in fact, alcohol may be worse because its known to destroy brain cells.

12. cheaptrick profile image74
    cheaptrickposted 13 years ago

Hi Y'all.My partner and I own a number of Alternative businesses including Indoor farms[not pot lol],an artists forum sight,a number of vintage clothing shops,a strip mall occupied by small assorted craft artists and last but not least...[blush,embarrassed]a ballroom dance school.We employ a large number of people and All of them know I Will fire them for coming to work high!How would I know if one of my employees was High?Because I've been smoking pot for forty years.My friends here at HP would tell you I'm Not stupid.I'm in excellent health.And I Use It Appropriately...and That is the Point!Addiction is in the eye of the beholder dontcha know?Everything in existence is addictive to Some one.You can be addicted to any thing from Weed to coffee to milk to Love...Yes Love!So should we make Love Illegal because some folks get addicted to it?
    I'm sure someones gonna say"Love is a GOOD addition"to which I'm gonna say ALL Addiction will hurt you eventually in some way.We need to focus on the Mental environment of addictive personalities so we can Cure the problem of addiction to anything.It's not the"thing" we must ban,it's the mindset of the addict we must repair.Long ass post Huh?I'd like to say this as well.Our company employs A goodly number of people,we pay Lots of taxes,we're law abiding,and we participate in out reach here in our city.The"Reefer Madness"and stupid stoner mindset is a hallmark of people who have NOT done objective research and offer"Common knowledge crap about the"Devil Weed"that causes Violence...Ouch!Any smoker out there will tell you the only time a High person Might attack you would be if you were holding a"Big Mac and fries"OK Intelligent stoners Am I?Am i?Am I?...this is the ...best...cronic I...ever...Hmmm wonder if we have anymore ice cream...............he fades back into...oblivion...smile
    One last thing.I keep hearing"medicinal"...What the hell's wrong with Feeling Good?Pot should be ALL the way legal.If someone doesn't like it they could always go to church and pray about it...What's that funny Incense smell in the last pew??????

13. figment profile image75
    figmentposted 13 years ago

Thank you for all your posts. smile

14. arthurchappell profile image46
    arthurchappellposted 13 years ago

i'm all for drugs being decriminalized - the laws banning them are no more effective than the US Prohibition of alcohol laws were - both fuel organized crime too much

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)