Paypal India Doomsday March 1 2011

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (17 posts)
  1. skyfire profile image78
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

From march 2011 you can't use paypal to store your squidoo or affiliate earnings to spend online. You can't use paypal(India) account to receive earnings more than 500$. In short all your online transactions will be from credit/debit card and no account balance. neutral

https://www.paypal-apac.com/india/

WTF Government hmm

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

thanks skyfire for letting me know about this. i have a squidoo account, but i rarely ever use it though.  however, when i do use it again, i'll be sure to consider your advice and warning.  thanks for the heads up. smile

1. skyfire profile image78
        skyfireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Stevennix2001, this new notice applies to india only.

1. profile image0
          Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh sorry. i must've over looked that part.  its been a bit of a long day.  thanks anyway for the news, as im sure some of the india hubbers will find it useful to know.

2. skyfire profile image78

One more bad news - payoneer cards are going to be useless as well for online purchase, after 1 march 2011. So that means you can only use the balance to move in your bank account.

1. Market-Watch profile image59
      Market-Watchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for this info, I have around $70 in my paypal earned from bidvertiser and some ptc sites, was waiting to reach $160 to avoid processing charges. Now i am going to withdraw it.

3. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

Why the "WTF Government"? Paypal is a private company - or am I missing something.

1. SiddSingh profile image61
      SiddSinghposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Actually, this is the result of a long drawn "dispute" between PayPal, and RBI (the Indian central banking authority).

Though most of the PayPal are likely to react the same way (WTF), I don't think the government authorities are to be blamed. PayPal had it coming for more than a year, and they have only taken steps to ensure that they remain barely operational in India.

4. profile image0

I'm curious. Could you explain more about the dispute.

5. skyfire profile image78

I'm not blaming paypal completely in this matter.

Indian government forced all the payment processors to stop holding funds 500$ or higher.

Paypal is going to restrict Indian users to keep account nil in 7 days irrespective of the amount received. Even 1$ sale from squidoo applies in this case. Considering bank clearance fees are 10$, it's going to be very rough on indian affiliates with this policy.  One more important point is that paypal users can't save funds or use it to buy other services. All the transactions are going to be credit card/debit card dependent after march 1/2011. So affiliates with entropay.com virtual cards are in trouble as well.

1. Market-Watch profile image59
      Market-Watchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It means still we can withdraw money earned from ptc or affiliate programs within a week of getting them on paypal account, and with a higher clearance fee.

6. SiddSingh profile image61
    SiddSinghposted 13 years ago

I think it is wrong to blame RBI either.

Consider this scenario -

I have two PP accounts. A/c 1 is linked to my bank account - so it is visible to all the authorities in India. Whatever I earn thru this account - I have to pay taxes, plus the authorities can monitor the transactions. Why should the txns be monitored? For a number of reasons - money laundering / terrorism etc being the most obnoxious of them.

OK, now lets come to my other PP account - A/c 2. I conveniently forgot to connect it to any bank. Now, whatever I receive in this account, I can spend freely. I can even transfer it to any person for whatever purpose. And of course, I completely forgot about it when I filed my tax returns!

Now, let us talk about A/c 2 from the perspective of PayPal. Whatever amount stays deposited earns interest for PayPal, but not for me. That is iin contravention to a long standing RBI guideline that any deposit should pay interest to the account holder - even if it is 3.5% as in case of savings a/c.

In effect, PayPal is doing banking operations in India, without being subject to the banking laws. Should RBI allow that?

7. profile image0

Now I'm beginning to understand. Thank you for explaining.

8. skyfire profile image78

Ah that clears up some things, Sidd. Now let's see the aftermath of this dispute -

1. No chance of ever getting into ebay affiliate network (because ebay network owns paypal).

2. Not worth to be a ebay shop owner because if dispute arises then paypal will list the credit card in black list without actually going through the case (typical paypal horrors).

3. Paypal for india user accounts is equal to google checkout in terms of features. You can't store the money but only use it to buy or sell things with some percentage of fees using credit card. So in short, it's going to be useless.

4. Debit cards from india(irrespective of brands-Visa/MC) are not functional. So paypal account is useless for online purchase if anyone has debit card.

By the way sidd, have you checked service - entropay.com as paypal's current alternative ?

1. SiddSingh profile image61
      SiddSinghposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi SF

1)
      I don't think that should be the case. PayPal will continue accepting and processing payments to and from India. It will just stay what it is supposed to be, anyway, - a payment processing service. You can still make a payment using PayPal and your CC - you just cannot make it thru your PP account. Just because EBay owns PayPal should not be a reson to reject an applicant.

I think you have already noticed that EBay India uses an "Indianized" version of PayPal in India - PaisaPay

2)

Well, in that case, take care that you don't sell too much big_smile.

3)

As I said earlier - PayPal will just stay what it is actually - a payment processing service. It should not do banking functions - inadvertently or knowingly.

4)
      I think you are right.

No SF, I have not checked Entropay - I will now! Thanks!

9. SiddSingh profile image61
    SiddSinghposted 13 years ago

I also believe that the current brouhaha notwithstanding, it is not the end for PayPal in India.

What are the changes, effectively? There are two -

1) PayPal a/c holders in India CANNOT keep any transfer in their accounts for more than 7 days - you HAVE to transfer it to your bank a/c in that period.

2) You CANNOT receive more than USD 500 in one go form the same source.

I think for a huge majority of PP users in India, these changes will not make any difference. The confusion is more due to improper understanding of what the current changes are. It is not as if PayPal is going to stop operating in India - at least not for now!

I guess I will just write a hub on this!

10. skyfire profile image78

This one also looks more in favor of RBI and not paypal.

http://rbidocs.rbi.org.in/rdocs/Notific … SE1610.pdf

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)