Going crazy, help!!!

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Christy Goff profile image61
    Christy Goffposted 13 years ago

Okay, here's the problem, I have hit pre-teen stage with my daughter, and everything I say she has to talk back, even when it has nothing to do with her, she has some rude or sarcastic remark.  Saying Shut up is like the biggest four letter word, but it's running through my mind every time she talks back.  Every time I try to get her to talk to me, she has nothing to say.  Are you angry? Are you confused?  What do you need?  What do you want?  And then I blow, tell her to go to her room, and if she doesn't have anything constructive to say, don't say anything at all.  And then the guilt. The school says that she is a healthy, well adjusted child, so why do I feel like pulling my hair out???

1. KristenGrace profile image60
      KristenGraceposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL it's totally the age.

You're not alone, and she'll grow up eventually. Stay strong smile

Christy Goffposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, my only good thought is that when my son hits this age, I will already be bald,so it won't hurt as much.

2. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

One thing I've always said is......

The very thing that annoys the hell out of you about her now will one day make you proud.

I have to remind myself of that sometimes with my daughter.  She turned 18 in Nov.  Just look at this way, when she questions you, or stands up against you, she's stretching her wings. She's practicing on you.  All of this practice will one day be used against the world.  When she comes up against teachers, bosses, boyfriends, husband, etc. who try to force their authority on her.  She'll know how to handle herself.  One day, that stubborn stand-up-for-herself-talking-back-little-girl will make you mighty proud when she stands up for herself.

I know a lot of it is my fault, I always tell her to lead, not follow.  And I am proud of her every minute of every day.  Doesn't change the fact that she is driving me crazy.  I love my baby girl, but I swear, if she doesn't curb her mouth, I will be bald, and she will have duct tape on her mouth.LOL

1. KCC Big Country profile image84
        KCC Big Countryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL.....I didn't say it was easy.  Without really realizing it, you're teaching her respect.  She's learning from you that there's a way to say things to get your point across without going too far.  Keep showing her the way.  Explain to her why her method is not effective.

Thank you, your support really helps, I do know I'm doing something right with my children, but after so much frustration, I question myself.  So hearing from other people about the same problem helps.

3. cardelean profile image86
    cardeleanposted 13 years ago

I totally agree with the other two comments.  It is SO normal.  I understand that it is extremly frustrating for you.  I am a fourth grade teacher and my girls are very much at that age where they are testing authority and on top of that, they have hormonal changes that they are also dealing with.  I was one of those pre-teen/teenagers and my mom and I are best friends today.  The good thing about your son is that he probably won't be as vocal with his thoughts as your daughter.  In my experience boys aren't as "lippy" as girls are.  Good luck, maybe try giving yourself a "timeout" to give you both some space.  smile

I do take time out's, I also try to ground myself, but then there is bball games, cheerleading, track, softball, baseball, acadimic meets, etc. just makes me want to ground myself even more.  LOL

4. gypsumgirl profile image72
    gypsumgirlposted 13 years ago

Even though this is somewhat of a phase that teens go through, something you might want to try so that you are staying sane is to let your daughter feel some control of the situation as well.  Rather than asking her all the questions about how she is feeling, thinking, what she needs and wants, etc. and getting frustrated, let her know that you care about her and love her and that's why you would like to know what's going on in her life.  During a sane moment, you might want to involve her in setting up a good time of day or week to touch base with her on a regular basis.  Promise her that during other times of the week, you will leave her alone.  The truth is, once you've gotten into these regular meetings and she begins to open up, you will find that she will start to talk to you during other times as well. 

Have regularly scheduled "meetings" with her and allow her to determine the agenda along with you.  She can also help you determine the parameters or the structure of this dialogue session...building agendas together, determining how long you will talk, etc.  Maybe once a week, over Sunday breakfast, you can sit down with her and just have a conversation.  You share your thoughts and she can then share hers.

I don't know your daughter so I don't know if she'd be open to that...involving her in the decision making will allow her to feel more in control of the situation. 

When you meet, don't judge...just listen. 

I have found that this works for parents, especially those who feel that their children tell them nothing and they don't feel they have an open relationship with their kiddos.

Good luck and hang in there!  In five to ten years, you will both look back and laugh about it!

5. profile image0
    Precious Williamsposted 13 years ago

She is a mass of hormones and normal teenage angst.  She won't even know at this stage how to answer your questions.  I agree with gypsumgirl is that you must keep telling her how much you love her and the idea of regular 'meetings' is great.

6. Moonchild60 profile image75
    Moonchild60posted 13 years ago

I have two boys. But the one who doesn't seem to know how to communicate properly is my husband.  So here is what I do.  When he says things that come out rude, mean, hostile, insensitive, etc...I say it over again correctly for him.  I say "Ok, what you should have said was...." he is getting the point and he actually repeats after me now when I do it. If my kids yell at me I say, calmly "Excuse me, am I yelling at you, why are you yelling at me?"  that usually stops them and if they say something nasty, which is usually if they are in a bad mood I tell them not to take their bad mood out on me or "Don't talk to me if you're in a mood" and I walk away. I don't usually see them until they are civil again.

7. tritrain profile image70
    tritrainposted 13 years ago

Is this where "mother's little helper" comes into play?

8. mkvealsh profile image62
    mkvealshposted 13 years ago

In my experience, girls do tend to get testy at this age.  Be patient, remind her that disrespect is never tolerated, then stay calm, knowing that with your guidance, this will pass.  Be sure to spend time with her and hug her at least every night before going to bed.  Even though she is trying to sprout wings and grow up, she still needs that reassurance that you are there for her.

9. Purple Perl profile image49
    Purple Perlposted 13 years ago

Enjoy motherhood! It does not last long,this stage. Patience, ask God for wisdom to handle it. Sometimes, just being quiet helps.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)