Thoughts as a Child

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (59 posts)
  1. Leann Zarah profile image83
    Leann Zarahposted 13 years ago

When I was 3 or 4 years young, I thought there were very tiny people inside the radio. Quite a wild imagination indeed. What did you think as a toddler that later turned out not true?

1. Quilligrapher profile image73
      Quilligrapherposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I believed Santa Claus came through our living room window because we didn't have a fireplace.

1. jtyler profile image59
        jtylerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I believed he came through my front door with a master key.

2. Leann Zarah profile image83
        Leann Zarahposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I believed he really flew around the globe with Rudolph and the gang all in one night. And that he was a polyglot cause he could write letters using a Filipino language. smile

1. profile image0
          Donna Ferrierposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And of course, he ate the cookies and milk we left.

True. He'd eat everything left for him under the tree everywhere he went. That's why he got a big tummy and never got to lose them all year round.   smile

2. Seafarer Mama profile image79
            Seafarer Mamaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes. It was fun seeing the plate empty on Christmas morning, proof  that Santa was the one who brought the presents....and that Rudolph ate the carrots I left him to help him keep flying.

3. profile image0
        fashionjewelry10posted 13 years agoin reply to this

My daughter just asked me that question yesterday. She asked me " How is Santa getting in if we don't have a chimney?" I told her that I was going to leave the front door unlocked so all he needed to do was walk in the front door.

2. cynthiaalise profile image60
      cynthiaaliseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I had a family friend play an evil trick on my English, but teaching the incorrect definitions to things.  Like I thought a telephone was called a typewriter.

What did you do to your family friend when you found out the truth?

3. simeonvisser profile image68
      simeonvisserposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That the final stop of a train would indeed be its final stop. The train would then go home or something like that...

That's cute. smile

4. Nick Malizia profile image59
      Nick Maliziaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There are tiny people in electronics. Heck, they build entire emerald cities in electronic boxes. You need to subscribe to Bjork! ;-P

5. jess1108 profile image61
      jess1108posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I remember thinking the same thing!!!

6. profile image0
      SilentSmile08posted 13 years agoin reply to this

i wouldnt eat brocoil bc i thought little people lived in them *thought it was trees.  but now i love it and i have yet to hear a scream or attack of little ppl

7. profile image0
      mummylovesteaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

When will my parents grow up?!!

2. Ivorwen profile image66
    Ivorwenposted 13 years ago

As a child, I thought all of the new casters lived in apartments on the edge of the TV screen, along with Bugs Bunny, Elmer Fudd and the Pink Panther. 

It frustrated me greatly that Dad could get news when ever he wanted, but I couldn't get cartoons when ever I wanted!  smile

Ditto here - together with that radio thing. big_smile

3. KristenGrace profile image59
    KristenGraceposted 13 years ago

When I was VERY little, I actually believed adults could communicate through their minds because they always seemed to agree on things... I thought it was a skill you learned as a teenager or something.

True. Plus they don't want kids to know what they're talking about. smile

4. profile image0
    fashionjewelry10posted 13 years ago

LOL. I used to think the same about little people being inside the radio. I also thought the television had little actors with a transparent glass.

My dad told me mice were baby puppies. One day when I was about a year and half I tried petting a mouse that my dad caught when he was cleaning a house we had just moved into and it bit me.

It's quite a nice imagined thought, having little people inside the radio and the TV. What "nurtured" that thought was when my mom would lock the TV (those old sets) during school week. And I thought it's because she didn't want the little people to get out when no one's at home. big_smile

Glad that mouse bite didn't seriously damage you. smile

5. Diane Inside profile image73
    Diane Insideposted 13 years ago

I hope this doesn't sound racist or anything, but being a small child in an all white community and school I thought that if you touch a black person the black would come off on my hands. 

It wasn't until I was in about the first grade and made a new friend a little black girl that I realized she couldn't wash it off. lol

And for some reason there was a little black boy that I knew who could tie his shoes and I thought it was funny that he knew how to tie his shoes, but I didn't. I used to run to him to tie my shoes on the playground when mine came untied. Because I liked to watch him do it.lol

Funny how kids think isn't it.

This goes to show why parents should always spend time to talk to their kids. It's just now, as a mom, when I realized how active a child's mind is, and that it's best to guide them or perhaps just introduce them to different ideas. It's up to them later on to believe (or not) what they were told about.

And by the way, in case anyone might think you're being racist with your story, s/he is overlooking or forgetting the topic of this thread. You were still a young kid then whose innocence was similar to those of your colored friends. smile

2. Ivorwen profile image66
      Ivorwenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

When I was little, I thought my dad was a black man, because he was the darkest person I had ever seen, outside of the Cosby show.  Later, I realized it was all just a farmer's tan.

6. Diane Inside profile image73

I also thought my mother has special powers and could tell the traffic cop which way she wanted to turn at the school crossing, till later I realized she was using the blinker. lol

big_smile

2. tysanders profile image60
      tysandersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol that's cute.

7. Diane Inside profile image73

my friends little girl says that all cats are girls and dogs are boys, she is four, I tried to explain to her the difference but she still holds to her guns.lol

8. Sweetsusieg profile image75
    Sweetsusiegposted 13 years ago

When I was in Kindergarten I upset my mother greatly by drawing "What your Mom does all day" (that was the assignment) I drew pictures of her sleeping, getting up to get me breakfast, then take a nap, eat lunch, take a nap, fix dinner - then go to bed. 

When the teacher confronted my Mom about it, Mom got pretty darned upset...   Basically I told my teacher that all my Mom did was sleep and eat...  LOL  Of course Mom was much busier than that...  hehehe, still get a chuckle out of that one..

1. Lisa HW profile image63
      Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sweetsusieg,  oh, that picture of what their mother does all day....    I had one son draw me drinking coffee (!) and the other one drew a picture of me (as he described it) "painting the swimming pool".  (????).  The kindergarten teacher asked if I'd done anything that all resembled "painting the swimming pool".   I'd painted a few things here or there at one time or another - but, really, it wasn't what I should have been "known for" by son!  lol  (and, of course, the whole swimming pool getting factored into the mix is, to this day, something I don't understand at all.  lol )  (Of course, the painting-the-pool thing was far more intriguing and interesting than that coffee-all-day picture my elder son came up with!!   mad   lol )

2. Leann Zarah profile image83

I told my teacher that my mom and a visiting uncle at that time were inviting her to our house on a weekend. And then I stubbornly bugged my mom on a Saturday, telling her she better cook something because the teacher's coming. "Why," she asked. "I told her you were inviting her," I said. She got so mad at me that she had to go to my school to tell my teacher that I just lied to her. The teacher told her, "I knew she was."

End result? On graduation day, I was given the "Most Courteous Pupil" tag - for lying. big_smile

3. Joesy Shmoesy profile image61
      Joesy Shmoesyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Love that story.  My daughter did a family book in Kindergarten and the "what mom does" page was a picture of me sleeping. Under it she wrote "mom likes to take naps."  I was ready to kill her.  I don't even take naps!  LOL

9. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

My niece was two or three, and somewhere along the way she'd heard someone comment on hearing crickets on a summer night, outside her grandmother's house where there were lots of creeks, ponds, woods, etc. 

At some point she started to develop a terrible fear of leaving her grandmother's house to go home at night.  She'd cry and not want to be brought out past the door.  This went on for a long time, and every time she'd be visiting and have to go home it was pretty much a nightmare for all involved.   smile   People would ask her what was wrong, and she'd say she was afraid of the crickets.  People would tell her the crickets "weren't anything".  I mean - this was a huge, huge, problem for her parents; and all the rest of the time this was a perfectly happy, little kid who wasn't generally afraid of stuff.

Somewhere along the way someone asked her what she thought the crickets were and she shuddered as she said, "I don't know."  Her mother finally thought to ask her, "How big do you think they are?"  My niece held her hand up to indicate that she thought "The Crickets" were about three feet tall.   It would eventually become clear that she had imagined huges numbers of three-foot tall, mysterious, creatures standing all over the expanse of her grandmother's front and side yards.

I suppose the shuddering, "I don't know" she gave should have been a tip-off for the adults around, but adult thinking is on such a different wavelength I guess the extreme "offness" of what she imagined didn't even occur to anybody.   lol

Moral to this story:  If your child is afraid of something that nobody else is afraid of, ask how big s/he thinks the thing is.  lol

Wish the adults told me there's really no monster under my bed, but then I never told them I was thinking about that. big_smile

10. kirstenblog profile image77
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

I used to have to fly alone as a kid a lot. I used to suspect that the plane was just flying around in circles while the people on the ground changed the set and costumes.

big_smile

11. Bel Marshall profile image61
    Bel Marshallposted 13 years ago

I used to think that the people in the TV shows were real people and they lived in the houses on the screen.

big_smile

2. tysanders profile image60
      tysandersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol..... i thought that too.

12. NanaGaye profile image60
    NanaGayeposted 13 years ago

This is my first listing on HubPages I wrote a little story about my youngest son going for I television audition. Hope reader enjoy.

The Television Audition  1972

‘Will I come home tonight?’ I asked my Mummy.
    She told me that it would only take a few hours at the television studio. She said they may choose me for a Chesdale Cheese advertisement. Mummy also told me it’s just like when she takes a picture of me, but this would be a moving picture. I’ve always found it hard to understand how people can be made so small to fit on a TV screen.  Daddy showed me the box not far from our house. He said that’s where all the pictures come from. I don’t really know if I want to be made smaller, even if it’s only for a little while. Mummy doesn’t seem to be very worried about it. I am!
    I heard Mummy telling Aunty Mary that the lady at the agency (whatever that is) said I was really photogenic (whatever that is). She said I was small for my age, which was good because I could act being a three year old. What a cheek, I’m nearly five.
    Anyway I’ve thought it over and I know exactly what I’m going to do tomorrow.

The big day has arrived; my older brothers and sisters have gone to school. Now Mum and I are off to the television studio. Mummy’s telling me to just do what the man says and perhaps afterwards, we’ll have lunch at MacDonald’s.
    Wow! We’re inside the television studio, there’s lots of enormous lights, and a huge camera’s on wheels. I wonder which one of those is for making people smaller?
    The man is telling us that it’s just a run through today.
    ‘Here, Paul I’d like you to open this small portion of cheese, look straight at me, and say in a big loud voice. HAVE SOME CHEESE.’
    I really do know how to put on a big loud voice, but I’m not going to.
    Here we go again. I must say the man is very nice he’s not getting cross with me. I’ve tried it lots and lots of times. Now he’s telling Mummy that he’ll phone her if he needs us to come back.
        Riding home in the car now. I think I’d better not mention MacDonald’s.
    Gee it’s good to be going home. Now, I’ll try my big loud voice.

HAVE SOME CHEESE!   
    HAVE SOME CHEESE!   
    HAVE SOME CHEESE!

Cute story, Nana. Thanks for sharing it. smile

13. NanaGaye profile image60
    NanaGayeposted 13 years ago

Hi Leann Thanks for reading my little story, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

You're welcome, Nana.
      Happy New Year. smile

14. AskAshlie3433 profile image59
    AskAshlie3433posted 13 years ago

Sad to say, I remember back when I was two. My dad use to beat my mom up and that is what I remember. Because they would never talk to me, I talked to plants and brooms. Honestly. It hurt so bad. It really messed with my head at the time.

Hi, Ashlie.

Sorry to hear about your experience as a child. For whatever it's worth, I experienced being "thrown" by my dad when he got so drunk one time. I was around four or five then. There had been other incidents later, again he was drunk. Not even my mom could defend me from him.

15. profile image0
    Travis_S_Musicposted 13 years ago

I don't remember much from when I was little :\ I finally opened up about this months ago, but I kinda blocked out all memory from before my dad died.

16. nanetteparker profile image60
    nanetteparkerposted 13 years ago

Every time I see the 6-stitches under my elder brother's chin, it always reminds me of how naughty I am when I was a kid.

17. tysanders profile image60
    tysandersposted 13 years ago

I remember watching movies and saying "But mom, he died last night. I saw it for myself! So how is he on another movie today?" It took me a while to realize that tv is an illusion.

Cute story of innocence, tysanders.

nanetteparker, I'm sure your brother has forgiven a long time ago - and still loves you in spite of what you did.

Sorry about your pain, Travis.

18. Dr. Amilia profile image40
    Dr. Amiliaposted 13 years ago

I used to think my toys become alive at night...

Love,
    Dr. Amelia

19. Dr. Amilia profile image40
    Dr. Amiliaposted 13 years ago

Oh and I forgot, I used to think that cartoons are real people.

Love,
    Dr. Amilia

I thought there were real monsters under the bed, especially at night. smile

20. JillKostow profile image87
    JillKostowposted 13 years ago

I use to believe that there were creatures bigger than us, and when those creatures would look down we looked like the ants to them the same as the ants we would see!!!

Yeah, just like when we're riding a plane. Everything below looks like ants. With me though, the bigger creatures exist in the sky looking down on us or could see everything that we're doing. Also, that there are creatures in each layer of the earth. smile

21. Lupozee profile image60
    Lupozeeposted 13 years ago

I thought that babies just grew when they were ready (I didnt know about the birds and the bees for a long while!) and i was very scared that I could have a baby growing when I became a teenager.  This thought was only because my cousin was 16 and pregnant and I was about 9-10.

This is funny, Lupozee. Thanks for sharing. big_smile

22. Bellamie profile image59
    Bellamieposted 13 years ago

When I was very young, my brother told me to be good because Mom had eyes in the back of her head.  I believed him because she always knew what I had done, good or bad.  I still try to be good.  I haven't checked the back of Mom's head yet.

Hahaha. Does your brother know how much you believed what he said? smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)