Just checking my emails from the past 3 weeks....

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (32 posts)
  1. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

And I had an invitation to appear on a national, yes NATIONAL... BBC Radio show to discuss my hatred for Facebook.

Absolutely gutted I missed it! Just typical that I have my first holiday in two and a half years and then miss out on that!

It was all to do with my article about hating Facebook. Oh well!

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Radio 4?

1. profile image0
        ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not going to disclose the station, but they are all huge. It would have been 4th February.... that's the first time anything big has happened to me through Hubpages for a while now, damn!

2. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

As my granny used to say "what's for you doesn't go by you". This time it was just not meant for you. You were in another country at the time for a reason, and your chance will come again, if it is meant to be. If not, well don't worry about it.

Having said that, bad luck!

1. profile image0

I crave fortune rather than fame anyway smile There was no mention of payment, although no doubt the BBC would be overly generous with their expenses wink

That said, I do have a face for the radio!

2. KCC Big Country profile image85
      KCC Big Countryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I like your granny's saying.  I've never quite heard it put that way, but I'm going to adopt it now.  It's catchy.  smile

3. Pcunix profile image89
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

Well, do write to them to apologize so that they may think to invite you again another time.

1. profile image0

Yep I did do that smile

1. Rafini profile image82
        Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

(bummer for missing it!)

Good thing you contacted them when you found out - Hope they try again for you!

2. KCC Big Country profile image85
      KCC Big Countryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree.  I read that you already did that too.   Who knows, they may do a follow up and you'll be included in that one?!

4. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

But what a way to impress your in-laws!

1. profile image0

So true! Although my popularity was up 22% that week anyway, seeing as my fiance/wife accompanied me courtesy of my own cash!

5. profile image0

So what's her name?

1. profile image0

Claire, her new surname can easily be guessed wink We met at uni, 5 and a half years ago; started dating 4 years ago, got engaged 3 years ago.

1. IzzyM profile image86

You're not one to rush things, are you?

1. profile image0

Certainly not, better a long engagement than a short marriage wink

2. darkside profile image64
        darksideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Got your first pug 1 year ago.

I need to know what you did together 2 years ago. Or did one of you decide to slow things down because everything was happening too fast? big_smile

1. profile image0

We were skint, living together in a tiny flat near to the University!

6. profile image0

What does Claire do for a profession - I can drag this out of you one little tidbit at a time or you could just share!

1. profile image0

She recently completed an MA in Management, want to get into a business development role, until that happens she is working in a shoe shop as a supervisor; not her dream position, but at least I don't have to sub her whilst she is working full time hours.

7. profile image0

What does "sub her" mean?

Do you think she'll write a hub or two? It's so hard to get established these days. But it sounds like the two of you have really practical educational degrees, which should help a lot.

1. profile image0

To be honest I think she is trying to make best use of her spare time to seek out employment opportunities, she is very specific about what she wants to do so it can be difficult finding the right opportunities - she wouldn't have enough time to dedicate to Hubpages to make it worthwhile. I own this flat outright so she doesn't have any rent to pay, just bills, so her job is suiting her fine just now... no major rush.

"sub" is what us Brits sometimes say instead of "subsidise", when she was working part time I was paying a lot more than half of the bills... which I was happy to do for a period of course, but these are said to be my prime saving years, particularly if I ever had kids, so I am grateful that I can now stash that extra cash away wink

8. Kangaroo_Jase profile image73
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years ago

Ryan,

Repeat after me,

1. I will check my emails on a daily basis... smile

1. profile image0

I was still in America at the time of the proposed show anyway, so it wouldn't have mattered; it wasn't flexible, as it landed on Facebook's 7th birthday.... but, maybe they will decide to celebrate its 8th birthday too hmm

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image73
        Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well.

Thats one item of info I didn't know myself, that Facebook has been around for 7 years.

1. profile image0

The researcher will probably get sacked by the time the 8th birthday arises, for inviting Mark Knowles on the show as an expert at in the area of Athiesm next time Jesus' birthday comes around again and subsequently fielding thousands of calls from pyschopathic religious extremists lol

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image73

lmao,

That is also within the realms of possibility Ryan.

2. IzzyM profile image86

I kinda knew that because of the movie....what's it called? The Social network or something like that. I was quite shocked to realise that some college kid could become a millionaire just for being a geek.

1. profile image0

Lol, he was more than just a geeky college kid; he is effectively a hard working genius. And he is much more than a mere millionaire, he is the 35th richest person in the US (already richer than Rupert Murdoch and Steve Jobs).

1. IzzyM profile image86

Well I hope he finally shared it with his college pal who put the money up to get his venture off the ground!

2. Kangaroo_Jase profile image73

You have just provided me with an idea for a Hub Izzy,

Thankyou

1. IzzyM profile image86

you're very welcome smile
              May it be highly successful and earn you a fortune smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)