How much of the things we learn in school do we actually use in life?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (27 posts)
  1. iimscollege profile image59
    iimscollegeposted 13 years ago

Guys what do you think whatever we learn from our school or colleges are we really use them in our life .I generally don't and what about you?????

2. KristenGrace profile image61
    KristenGraceposted 13 years ago

If you're talking from ALL of my education, the top three skills I've learned would be:

Cooperation
    How to write and read
    Addition - Primarily when buying supplies for my classroom !

1. givingfairy profile image61
      givingfairyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I feel the same way. As a computer major all the precal, art history ,music , and other courses serves me nor mankind any purpose. I can get by with simple math calculations, getting along with others and making a difference without all these expensive courses colleges require that one takes. Most of the times people have to settle for a different career outside of their major so really I don't see the sense in all those courses they bombard you with.

3. Evan G Rogers profile image60
    Evan G Rogersposted 13 years ago

you'd be surprised at how much you learned you actually use every day. It just might not seem like it.

By learning one subject, you increase your skills in other subject areas.

For example, by studying foreign language, you can actually improve your math skills.

But, all in all, it IS difficult to justify the current schooling system -- $13,000 per student per year.

4. DIYweddingplanner profile image77
    DIYweddingplannerposted 13 years ago

I can tell you what I have never, ever used since I've been out of school and that is Algebra. That and diagramming sentences.  What a colosssal waste of time! Basic math will get you through most of what you need to know in life.

5. SpanStar profile image61
    SpanStarposted 13 years ago

It will be interesting to see if schools can keep up with the technology that allow volumes of information to be right at one's finger tips.

I read a while back where someone wrote, "A smart person isn't someone who has all the answers because their is not such person.  A smart person is someone who knows where to find the answers."

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
      Mark Ewbieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A smart person is someone who can use the correct spelling of "there".

1. SpanStar profile image61
        SpanStarposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And even smarter person can read the context and not have to have their hand held because they're so petty.,

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
          Mark Ewbieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah whatever.  I got the message, just hacked off with the spelling.  Plus I only need five more posts to get the forum asshole accolade.  You got lucky.

Perhaps if you came to this forum with something more then games you my might get something out of it and who knows may even bring something of worth here.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
              Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You really think you are offering something of "worth" by demonstrating a lack of understanding of science and an inability to spell correctly? Not to mention your grammar. lol lol

KKK sad

Does the big bang not work 4 ya? Just doesn't make sense to use the English language properly either I suppose? sad

When it comes to you Mark and the fact that you do Nothing but SIT ON YOUR BACKSIDE AND COMPLAIN,  and COMPLAIN.  Everyone else is a genius

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
                  Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

sad

1. Greek One profile image63
                    Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have to agree with SpanStar on this one, Mark...

but can we start the mentoring thing now?... I could really use a few thousand dollars smile

6. manlypoetryman profile image81
    manlypoetrymanposted 13 years ago

Oh, and class...BTW...Tomorrow there is going to be a test on this. So you better study up on this question.

7. starme77 profile image77
    starme77posted 13 years ago

I think we use alot of it in life - I mean what did we learn  in high school? i learned how to smoke - I still smoke - I learned that people are opinionated about others cars ,shoes and clothes and learned I didnt want to be that way - I'm not that way today smile oh and I learned some french - I use it every now and then smile I learned you have to stand up for yourself and if you want anything done - do it yourself - smile yup - I use my skills I learned in High school every day lol smile

8. shogan profile image77
    shoganposted 13 years ago

Why do so many people place the value of education entirely in whether they "use" it?  Practical application is a pretty close-minded way to evaluate the importance of knowledge.  What happened to wanting to know as much as possible about as much as you can?

It's about who you are more than it's about what you do.

9. profile image0
    Neville Walkposted 13 years ago

I have always remembered the glitter lessons I had, and find this particularly useful at Christmas.  There will always be a need for glitter, and my handmade Christmas cards are always commented upon.

10. cre8tive profile image81
    cre8tiveposted 13 years ago

As a cake decorator by trade (now at least,) which many would describe as an art rather than a science, I have never used so much maths and chemistry in my life.

Chemistry because I need to know the reactions of ingredients to know the density of a cake mix,and maths because without knowing how to calculate the volume of a cylinder I'd never know what I'd need to make a train, etc, etc

Only other time I used Maths was to work out what 25% off was in a sale=)

I also remember the wives of Henry V111th, and how an ox-bow lake was formed - but neither of those have proved that useful yet, apart from the odd pub quiz - but I live in hope.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)